• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

VulcanRaven

Hope there’s a steelbook version.
There is:
81qYQ3fJoCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Chronicle

That's what makes the show so good. It stays true to its gaming roots. I mean Joel doesn't think too miluch but tracts very fast. He's like us the gamer. You think we'd ever grab ellie and run away? Fuck that. We go in and kill everyone. Upgrade our weapon along the way and kill even more. Just like in a game. He doesn't hesitate. It's great.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't believe Sony didn't have the PC version ready to launch the few days after the last episode.....massive eff up there.

Kev Kev

As someone who didn't play the games (I made it like halfway through the first one), here's my take...

Honestly, I'll probably stop watching the show if they kill off Joel. Pedro Pascal is fantastic. He's carrying the show single handedly and everyone loves him, it would be utter lunacy to waste him like that. And I really don't care for Bella Ramsey's acting, nor do I care that much about Ellie as a character.

I couldn't agree more with how Joel handled the situation. Finding a cure isn't going to magically make everything normal again. The world in TLoU is fucked and it's going to take a whole lot more than a vaccine to save it. Best thing Joel and Ellie can do is try to live in peace for as long as they can, and hope humanity finds a better way. But dissecting and killing kids isn't how we do things and if you think so, you deserve a bullet in the head like that doctor.

The only entertaining thing that would come out of killing off Joel is the backlash the show would receive for such a retarded decision.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

About the ending: I wonder why they decided to have Ellie not unconscious when captured by Fireflies? I'm not sure if I like that change. Maybe season 2 will have a flashback about what happened. Like Marlene talking with Ellie.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

About the ending: I wonder why they decided to have Ellie not unconscious when captured by Fireflies? I'm not sure if I like that change. Maybe season 2 will have a flashback about what happened. Like Marlene talking with Ellie.
If I had to guess it's done to weaken Joel's case considering that we don't see Ellie resisting the operation before she sees Joel again lending more credence she wants it to happen.

But then they also give people like ammo with their "We didn't tell her" and that it "could" be a cure. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Catphish

Finished it last night. Fucking loved it.

I lost count of the amount of times I said, "Holy shit. That's right out of the game," whether it was music, dialogue, a shot, or a complete scene. The show stayed very true to its game roots.

I got the same mixture of bleakness & awe from the show that I got from the game. I actually wish there would have been another episode showing more of this new world; how nature reclaimed much from civilization, how once famous landmarks had crumbled, or faded into obscurity under a canopy of green. I feel like there wasn't quite enough of that.

I don't have much else to complain about, except the handling of Bill. I don't get why they had to kill him off before Ellie & Joel showed up. I felt cheated having not been able to see him and Ellie do a little verbal sparring. While the episode was very well done, and brought me to tears multiple times, I feel like it was robbed of potential, since it was basically an isolated subplot that didn't interact much with the rest of the story.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and I'm thankful that it wasn't sexed up like most HBO shows, so I was actually able to watch it with my daughter. We both loved it, and are looking forward to the next season.

9/10

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with how Joel handled the situation. Finding a cure isn't going to magically make everything normal again.
Yeah people seem to forget that the "cure" will be exclusively in the hands of the Fireflies. They are a fractured, incompetent, brutal guerilla group, not some benevolent savior of humanity. Those who think Joel is a monster are incapable of logically playing out what would happen next had he let Ellie die.

Anyone who thinks Joel was wrong for what he did is a mental toddler. I really want to expand further on this sentiment, but it would spoil Season 2 unfortunately.

Aggelos

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
It’s crazy that for a decade, Ashley and Troy were always “Ellie and Joel”

Now, in what feels like a blink of an eye, Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal are “Ellie and Joel”. And they are to wayyyyy more people.

I feel kinda bad.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Now, in what feels like a blink of an eye, Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal are “Ellie and Joel”. And they are to wayyyyy more people.

I feel kinda bad.
They probably feel some kind of ownership of the characters because they have played them for a long time so it must have been odd to see someone else play them.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned

I feel kinda bad.
this has been the sob story for many a voice actor for decades.

it's kinda the same for books - when a good adaption comes out, no one remembers the author and the director and actors get all the credit.

In the rare cases it doesn't happen, like GRRM example it's cause the creators made a huge effort to credit the books in every interview they gave, and always got george involved in making the series.

Even then, most people dont even know who GRRM is even if they know the show came from a book series.

As someone who didn't play the games (I made it like halfway through the first one), here's my take...

Honestly, I'll probably stop watching the show if they kill off Joel. Pedro Pascal is fantastic. He's carrying the show single handedly and everyone loves him, it would be utter lunacy to waste him like that. And I really don't care for Bella Ramsey's acting, nor do I care that much about Ellie as a character.

I couldn't agree more with how Joel handled the situation. Finding a cure isn't going to magically make everything normal again. The world in TLoU is fucked and it's going to take a whole lot more than a vaccine to save it. Best thing Joel and Ellie can do is try to live in peace for as long as they can, and hope humanity finds a better way. But dissecting and killing kids isn't how we do things and if you think so, you deserve a bullet in the head like that doctor.

The only entertaining thing that would come out of killing off Joel is the backlash the show would receive for such a retarded decision.
Yeah but Abby killing Joel is also something everyone would of done. Really hated it when the first game came out but it just makes sense, she isnt in the wrong and she isnt a villain for doing so. Joel killed her father, he deserved it, even though we loved him.

I feel kinda bad.
To me, Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker are still Joel and Ellie. Pedro Pascal’s portrayal is not Joel from the game and Belle Ramsey’s acting chops do not allow her to be Ellie from the game.

Yeah but Abby killing Joel is also something everyone would of done. Really hated it when the first game came out but it just makes sense, she isnt in the wrong and she isnt a villain for doing so. Joel killed her father, he deserved it, even though we loved him.
She’s not in the wrong but the writing is plain stupid. That he’s able to find Joel and that Joel trusted her group. That was stupid.

She’s not in the wrong but the writing is plain stupid. That he’s able to find Joel and that Joel trusted her group. That was stupid.
Joel didnt trust her group, an event led them there and it's actually his brother who spilled the beans. But yeah, the chances of that event happening and them ending right in the devil's lair is farfetch and lazy writing, I agree.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Eh, being saved when you could've been left for horde food/distraction should give any grateful person a moment of pause when they're also looking to torture their savior. She went on to have a dragged out torture session anyway which made it nearly impossible for me to ever root for her.

Eh, being saved when you could've been left for horde food/distraction should give any grateful person a moment of pause when they're also looking to torture their savior. She went on to have a dragged out torture session anyway which made it nearly impossible for me to ever root for her.
I disagree, she spent all these years having this fixation on killing her father's murderer. No one would let that go that easily, I would of done the same.

Ulysses 31

I disagree, she spent all these years having this fixation on killing her father's murderer. No one would let that go that easily, I would of done the same.
I guess some people are wired differently to be grateful when their life is saved and with others it counts for nothing.

Where did I say she should've given up on getting revenge? The nuance I would've added to her character that she tells Joel what she dreamt of doing to him all these years but because he saved her, she will give him a quick death.

I guess some people are wired differently to be grateful when their life is saved and with others it counts for nothing.

Where did I say she should've given up on getting revenge? The nuance I would've added to her character that she tells Joel what she dreamt of doing to him all these years but because he saved her, she will give him a quick death.
Yeah, I guess people are different. I would of tortured him just the same, it was also cut short by Ellie showing up. It really sucks that it happened, and I was very frustrated and disliked the game for it but I'm replaying it right now with a different mindset.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Late to the party and just finished the season.
As much as I was sceptical about Pedro Pascal the man fuckin' nailed it.
Bella Ramsay did a good job of emanating Ellie with her voice and mannerisms.
But I did miss the game's Ellie "model" as Ramsay for me did not look even close to 14 years old.
She also looks like Down Syndrome decided to tag her at birth but changed its mind and only left a sprinkle.
I also fast forwarded through most of the DLC Left Behind episode.

But overall great atmosphere, story and cinematography!

Tripolygon

Banned
So like how Joel was saved by the fireflies but he went ahead and killed all of them anyway because to him they were going to kill his surrogate daughter? It's almost like revenge overrides almost all sane thought.

Ulysses 31

So like how Joel was saved by the fireflies but he went ahead and killed all of them anyway because to him they were going to kill his surrogate daughter?
That and getting knocked out, forcefully separated, robbed, kidnapped and threated with death burned all the good will with them.
It's almost like revenge overrides almost all sane thought.
It's not insane for Joel to come to Ellie's defence. Abby still having a drawn out torture session after being rescued does make it a lot harder for me to root for. Especially when later on we see she is capable of gratitude for being saved, even by those she's used to killing.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So like how Joel was saved by the fireflies but he went ahead and killed all of them anyway because to him they were going to kill his surrogate daughter? It's almost like revenge overrides almost all sane thought.
In fairness to Joel, Joel had way less time to ponder his actions than Abby. Joel was informed of Ellie’s situation and was asked to go along with it in the span of like 2 minutes. He didn’t have time to warm up to it or think about it. And this is all coming off an ultimate bonding moment and also Ellie saving his life back in the winter arc. So I’m sure there’s a sense of gratitude he feels like he owes Ellie as well. And then when he refuses to accept this plan in a couple minutes, they assault him and threaten his life.

Now, I think Joel would’ve probably done the same thing even if given a month to think about it, but it’s still a bit different than Abby planning for her moment over a much longer period of time.

VulcanRaven

MTV Movie & TV Awards nominations:
https://deadline.com/2023/04/mtv-mo...-last-of-us-2023-nominations-list-1235317050/

BEST HERO
• Diego Luna — Andor
• Jenna Ortega — Wednesday
• Paul Rudd — Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
• Pedro Pascal — The Last Of Us
• Tom Cruise — Top Gun: Maverick

BEST KISS
• Anna Torv + Philip Prajoux – The Last Of Us
• Harry Styles + David Dawson – My Policeman
• Madison Bailey + Rudy Pankow – Outer Banks
• Riley Keough + Sam Claflin – Daisy Jones & The Six
• Selena Gomez + Cara Delevingne – Only Murders in the Building