• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Hotly anticipated 'Black Myth: Wukong' is delayed on Xbox for 'optimizations' — and now, Microsoft has responded

Stafford

This seems like more Xbox persecution from the shills, something that has become quite monotonous. Obviously I could be wrong but I doubt you will have to wait until February.

"Business decision" could also mean, "instead of delaying everything to launch day and date we decided to delay JUST the Xbox version to get the PC/PS5 versions out on time." You know, exactly what happened with BG3.

Well, a few days ago we had a thread on this person with Wukong info and he said this about Xbox. I don't know how legit the guy is.

Yeah I'm sure the Series S is holding...

season 4 taking notes GIF by Shameless

...Black Myth: Wukong back...

Darsxx82

First, the game was delayed in XSX with just 2 months left before its release. That tells me that the most logical reason in this case is the lack of adequate optimization, deadlines that are not met and prioritizing the platforms where the most sales will be generated. I remember, it is a new Studio without the experience of others. Perhaps they simply wanted to avoid another The Calisto Protocol case (where the problem was not XSS).

Having said that and secondly.... Why does no one (media, websites, users...) ever ask Sony about each of its multiple possible exclusivity agreements, the terms and duration of these?
In this same case, there is no harm in also asking or insisting to Sony on the possibility of some clarification of whether or not there is an agreement...... 🤷🏻 Every time MS signs an exclusivity agreement, a campaign is started to determine the terms, the Studios are harassed to declare the reasons..... 🤔

diffusionx

Gold Member
Having said that and secondly.... Why does no one (media, websites, users...) ever ask Sony about each of its multiple possible exclusivity agreements, the terms and duration of these?
They are private business deals, Sony is under no obligation to discuss any of them, and they aren't going to.

First, the game was delayed in XSX with just 2 months left before its release. That tells me that the most logical reason in this case is the lack of adequate optimization, deadlines that are not met and prioritizing the platforms where the most sales will be generated. I remember, it is a new Studio without the experience of others. Perhaps they simply wanted to avoid another The Calisto Protocol case (where the problem was not XSS).

In this same case, there is no harm in also asking or insisting to Sony on the possibility of some clarification of whether or not there is an agreement...... 🤷🏻 Every time MS signs an exclusivity agreement, a campaign is started to determine the terms, the Studios are harassed to declare the reasons..... 🤔
Probably because it's been widely known for a while now that Sony doesn't talk to anyone.

Wtf is this bullshit? So MS says they are working with the dev to bring it to Xbox. But there could also be a deal in place? Tiresome shit.

They didn't say there could be a deal with other partners. They simply said they can't comment on it.

Typical slimy MS BS PR double-speak. By adding that line they insinuate there might be a deal with Sony. In reality there almost certainly isn't, because if there were a) Sony would be promoting the game heavily as a partner with an exclusive marketing agreement (they aren't) and b) if it was an exclusivity deal, MS would not be working with the dev to get the game running on Xbox.

The fact that MS admits they're working with the dev makes it clear that the delay is due to technical issues the dev is having with MS platforms; and is more likely to do with the XSS... with the obvious answer being that the XSS is a POS that even other devs have complained about.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
well, there are two aspects about this:

1. If it is true, then Sony is still savage and "super aggressive" against Xbox.
2. Not true and it's a byproduct of Xbox´s install base and Series S.

the outcome is the same anyway:

Wukong is going to be used as ammo by fanboys. win-win, lose-lose scenario? You decide.

Astray

Look at the promotion Sony did for Forspoken or FF16, and compare it to the almost complete lack of promotion for Wukong on Sony events and channels.

You're telling me that the dev signed that deal, and then just decided to nope out on the promotion and marketing?

Roflmao.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Sony plays hardball with the press on access, reviews, anything. No one would hardly even comment on the Insomniac leak, and they definitely got told it's off limits and they obeyed. Even the Sacred Symbols dude talks about it and he's Mr. Sony, they don't really make it easy to talk to them now like they used to and people don't have as many regular contacts. MS and Sony have totally different styles of press interaction this generation. Just how it is.

It's probably a 3-6 month PS launch console exclusive. A bit scummy but totally unsurprising. I hate it when Nintendo does it too. But the longer the wait, the better the game will be so the extra time will be nice. Will give the Xbox version a bit of a boost in exposure since it'll be launching later, so it'll have that gap. Will help the game get a second shot at the spotlight, too.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Love the bullshit PR Microsoft creates because they think they're the good guy.

These guys and gal continue to prove they're all about spitting out a bunch of stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks.

Is this supposed to suggest something that wasn't made known or just covering up that another developer is struggling with these Xbox Series consoles?

solidus12

It's probably a 3-6 month PS launch console exclusive. A bit scummy but totally unsurprising. I hate it when Nintendo does it too. But the longer the wait, the better the game will be so the extra time will be nice. Will give the Xbox version a bit of a boost in exposure since it'll be launching later, so it'll have that gap. Will help the game get a second shot at the spotlight, too.
GpsNHtl.jpeg

dZhF3Yp.jpeg

Skifi28

I think it's pretty obvious from the wording of the Microsoft response "We can't comment on the deals made by our partners with other platform holders"

It makes sense for PlayStation because they've got very little exclusive content lined up this year, Microsoft on the other hand have a veritable feast on offer.
Can't believe you actually wrote that with a straight face.

LordCBH

Look at the promotion Sony did for Forspoken or FF16, and compare it to the almost complete lack of promotion for Wukong on Sony events and channels.

You're telling me that the dev signed that deal, and then just decided to nope out on the promotion and marketing?

Roflmao.

100% this. If Sony would promote the absolute piece of shit that Forspoken was (and let’s be real, Sony knew it was a piece of shit), then they’d shout anything from the rooftops if they guaranteed it as exclusive.

Hellblade 2 "requires" 8 + 16.
Guess the XBSS can't run it too. /s
I never said that.
Almost anything is possible with money and time in software development. Just look at "Can it run Doom?" on Google.

The thing is, they don't have the money and/or time right now to invest in the weakest and poorest-selling hardware.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I never said that.
Almost anything is possible with money and time in software development. Just look at "Can it run Doom?" on Google.

The thing is, they don't have the money and/or time right now to invest in the weakest and poorest-selling hardware.
I never said you said that, as per the "/s".

This game requiring less than Hellblade 2 says the devs are more incompetent optimizing for the XBSS or its power is not the "issue" here.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
100% this. If Sony would promote the absolute piece of shit that Forspoken was (and let’s be real, Sony knew it was a piece of shit), then they’d shout anything from the rooftops if they guaranteed it as exclusive.

Sony just published an Eastern-themed open world soulslike game, too. I don't know why they would moneyhat another one, so soon after RotR came out, and at the last minute too, and after a massive new open world soulslike game just dropped (the DLC for ER). If Sony had the unparalleled power to just hoover up games to keep it from Xbox, you'd think they would pick a different genre and a different game. Like, Star Wars Outlaw or something. But hey, who knows.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Sony made an exclusivity deal not be released on Xbox for 3 months and stay quite about it.

MS is not having anymore of Sony bullshit and called them out through exposing the devs .

Love it

Weak ass bitch Sony doesn’t have shit this year so they are trying to secure third party exclusive deals to keep their system relevant .

Usual shady business practice they been doing for years now why anyone is surprised at this point

Or, and I'm just being probably correct here, MS is just making up stuff. They have a parity clause with that POS Xbox Series S and it's already been a problem for games before. See: BG3.

Curious, did you hate Microsoft for two decades when they were doing the "Xbox First" E3s, or are you just a giant hypocrite like most of the other hardcore Xbox community?

Astray

Forspoken also released day 1 on PC, so Wukong being a PC day 1 title has no bearing on the discussion here.

Astray

Sony just published an Eastern-themed open world soulslike game, too. I don't know why they would moneyhat another one, so soon after RotR came out, and at the last minute too, and after a massive new open world soulslike game just dropped (the DLC for ER). If Sony had the unparalleled power to just hoover up games to keep it from Xbox, you'd think they would pick a different genre and a different game. Like, Star Wars Outlaw or something. But hey, who knows.
It's also releasing 3 days before Concord lol.

The more I look into this the bigger of a clown Jez turns out to be.

Top Bottom