• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Keller leaves Intel

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Keller’s departure came as a surprise to many in the industry. Only last month, a glowing Fortune articledeclared that Intel was “betting its chips” on Keller. The same article notes that Jim has a tendency to join companies and do the initial work only to depart afterward, but his two-year tenure at Intel is still short, even by his standards. Keller spent approximately five years at AMD working on Zen, from 2012 – 2017. He’s been at Intel for just two.

More about the background:
He was the lead architect of the AMD K8 microarchitecture (including the original Athlon 64) and was involved in designing the Athlon (K7) and Apple A4/A5processors. He was also the coauthor of the specifications for the x86-64 instruction set and HyperTransport interconnect.From 2012 to 2015, he returned to AMD to work on the AMD K12 and Zen microarchitectures.

Succession Plan
Apparently his successor is Koduri: https://wccftech.com/exclusive-intel-internal-memo-jim-keller-departure-new-structure/

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shame i hope this will not hinder intels focus on better IGPU's

They really need to focus on small powerhouses.
The NUC line is amazing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shame i hope this will not hinder intels focus on better IGPU's

They really need to focus on small powerhouses.
The NUC line is amazing.

Uhm... well certainly they are focusing on GPU’s if Koduri takes the helm... puzzling career there...

llien

A living legend, who did not give up at AMD in its darkest depressed years when many where leaving the ship, leaves Intel, apparenyly befoe finishing his job, whatever it was, hm.

I wouldn't mind Lisa grabbing him again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wonder where he will be going next.

He has six months of what feels more like non compete than anything else, so I guess we shall see... is AMD’s current CTO likely to stay? Apple is rumored to switch to ARM on desktop too, they need all the help they can get :).

Mista

Banned
Going to join AMD since they're better than this overpriced rubbish
I can’t wait until Intel is on top of the world in 2022 and everyone comes crawling back.
MasculineIgnorantKoala-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Going to join AMD since they're better than this overpriced rubbish

It’s only overpriced if it’s not the fastest CPU. If you’re the best at something, you can charge whatever you want.

I wouldn’t buy anything from Intel today, but you can’t seriously think AMD will have a faster consumer CPU in 2022.

Last edited:

Banned
It’s only overpriced if it’s not the fastest CPU. If you’re the best at something, you can charge whatever you want.

I wouldn’t buy anything from Intel today, but you can’t seriously think AMD will have a faster consumer CPU in 2022.

care to elaborate?

by the way this is one of the happiest news I've seen this weeks after P4G release and TLOU2 scores

V2Tommy

care to elaborate?

by the way this is one of the happiest news I've seen this weeks after P4G release and TLOU2 scores

Historically, Intel has had the highest-performing CPU for 99.9% of the time. They got lazy by being the market leader, and AMD caught them. Once they move things along, they’ll be back. Betting against Intel is like betting against Nvidia.

Banned
Historically, Intel has had the highest-performing CPU for 99.9% of the time. They got lazy by being the market leader, and AMD caught them. Once they move things along, they’ll be back. Betting against Intel is like betting against Nvidia.

(meh) naah

Mista

Banned

Wait and see. Please stop talking like if Intel’s CPUs has a big performance boost over AMD

Top Bottom