• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku EIC Resigns Over New Editorial Edict

StueyDuck

So that Alyssa Mercante woman or whatever, who the fuck knows these days. Is now on a massive warpath to silence and destroy all streamers that called her out, specifically this Melonie Mac person it seems, (genuinely i have no clue who they are, it's a name i've heard before mentioned in streamer circles but i don't watch twitch or any streaming, maybe they are a huge piece of shit but something tells me with a Kotaku writer being mad that she probably isn't).

this Alyssa is genuinely an evil person, like in the literal definition. Like she's not even "going down swinging" she's literally just trying to ruin peoples lives because... they were critical of her? God she's nasty, how the fuck is someone like this actually employed.
DdQN51v.png

Last edited:

Billbofet

So that Alyssa Mercante woman or whatever, who the fuck knows these days. Is now on a massive warpath to silence and destroy all streamers that called her out, specifically this Melonie Mac person it seems, (genuinely i have no clue who they are, it's a name i've heard before mentioned in streamer circles but i don't watch twitch or any streaming, maybe they are a huge piece of shit but something tells me with a Kotaku writer being mad that she probably isn't).

this Alyssa is genuinely an evil person, like in the literal definition. Like she's not even "going down swinging" she's literally just trying to ruin peoples lives because... they were critical of her? God she's nasty, how the fuck is someone like this actually employed.
DdQN51v.png
I don't know Melanie Mac, but I have seen some of her videos.
This made me subscribe to her channel immediately and thumbs up a few vids.
These Kotaku shitheads are vile.

StueyDuck

And you see like the ND senior leads cosying up to these people at all opportunities. In what world would a top game designer of a triple a title ever need to cross paths with shitty game outlets like kotaku?

this guy is desperately trying to get action from her clearly, he hears shes a cam girl and sees she's a bit of a grunt so probably thinks he just throws a few platitudes her way and will get laid.

It's always the gaming "journalists" who are average to below average looking women with short/colored hair and nose rings that love whining about gaming culture and toxic Men. Funny how its never beautiful women who are mentally stable that complain about these things in gaming.

Alyssa Mercante is literally the blueprint of whats wrong with modern gaming journalism. They are simply activists posing as gaming journalists.

Last edited:

Griffon

DdQN51v.png

If that isn't a glowing recommendation, nothing is.

Edit: tho, yeah, maybe I should have checked out what she actually does. She's too much of a religious zealot sadly. I guess it makes for an easy target for woke propagandists, to discredit and avoid discourse with more rational individuals.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

If that isn't a glowing recommendation, nothing is.

Subscribed.
look, again i don't know this person at all, i might maybe go watch a video just now and see, so i don't want to be accidentally promoting like a literal murderer or something haha.

but the fact this evil Alyssa woman is out to try ruin her life tells me it's more out of saltiness than anything else.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I guess that's where those AI tools they wanted to use come in hand.

Not gonna say I will miss it, since the most talented people there left a long time ago, and their "write a inflammatory title and hope nobody complains" attitude got old.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Getting back to the 50 guides per week per person, it sounds impossible. So you're talking about each person doing 10 per day. So maybe one every 40 minutes.

Not only does that seem crazy unless all these game writers have tons of experience and saved game files ready to go and just churn them out like clockwork.

Also, lets say there's 5 writers. Thats 250 guides per week. Their YT channel and website with 250 per week would be a flea market mess.

Moneal

Getting back to the 50 guides per week per person, it sounds impossible. So you're talking about each person doing 10 per day. So maybe one every 40 minutes.

Not only does that seem crazy unless all these game writers have tons of experience and saved game files ready to go and just churn them out like clockwork.

Also, lets say there's 5 writers. Thats 250 guides per week. Their YT channel and website with 250 per week would be a flea market mess.
I think it is totally just to weed out the ones who don't want to work in gaming. Activist jurnos are gonna hear that and just quit because they want to write articles that will get them jobs at real news outlets, not write game guides.

Kacho

Trolling Asmond will only give him more content to farm for more money.
Oh I agree. She won’t come out on top going against him.

I meant she’s trolling people on Twitter because she knows she’ll get a rise out of them. The same people who spend all day talking about this, like Grummz and his followers.

As a side note my YouTube feed is full of videos covering her. It’s like she’s become the new Frosk.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Imagine using herb as your choice word for an insult. Means lame? I can’t think of a more lame word to pick for an insult. Ironic.

Neon Xenon

This is such a weird situation to look at.

On one hand: Kotaku has had their moments of actually breaking valuable stories, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that they've also earned their reputation for being a shit site. Their batting average ain't great, so to speak. Their presence currently should be a sign of what NOT to do with gaming news.

On the other hand: The demands of G/O Media for Kotaku's editors are really dumb, and seem like they're engineered for the site to slowly die out or for editors to simply not reach those demands and eventually get fired. Apparently, pivoting towards a video game guide site might be profitable in some fashion, but 50 guides a week is ridiculous, when there are probably going to be better sources for guides. And how are these guides going to be compiled?

My feelings are conflicted on this. I'm not going to cheer for people potentially losing their jobs, yet this is Kotaku, so it's also hard for me to feel sympathy for the site. The editors there will find positions elsewhere. But the site itself? Kotaku as a website can get fucked. Assuming these plans follow through, I think that Kotaku will simply go from being a gaming news site that people avoid to being a gaming guide site that people will still avoid just on the name alone.

ns6

Neo Member
I really think people are overplaying the "50 guides per week" thing.

A "guide" on a site like Kotaku nowadays is a 200-word article focused on answering one very small question. "How do you set up camp in Dragon's Dogma 2?" is a guide in 2024. There's absolutely no reason that a staff of people could not easily produce, on average, 7 of those a day while also having plentiful time to produce the other stuff that people aren't reading on their site. Management can see their audience is getting smaller each year and that's the SEO play they're making. It's honestly not that crazy of a request.

They aren't being asked to produce 50 gamefaqs-level 50,000-word guides a week. No website is doing that, there aren't enough games in the world to do that.

I suspect the ‘guides’ are just a device to sift the video game journos (for whom this has always been bread and butter work) from the culture warriors.

Top Bottom