• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joseph Staten is leaving xbox.

kyoji

Joseph Staten Is Leaving Xbox, Microsoft Has Confirmed​

No word yet on where the Halo lead is headed next.​

Rebekah Valentine

By Rebekah Valentine

Posted: Apr 7, 2023 6:57 pm

Joseph Staten, head of creative on Halo Infinite and cinematic director on the first three Halo games, is leaving Microsoft, the company has confirmed to IGN.

In its message, Microsoft did not say where Staten was headed next, nor the reason he was leaving Microsoft after nine years.

“We’re grateful for Joseph’s contributions to the Halo franchise and Xbox as a whole," the statement from a Microsoft spokesperson reads. "We wish him all the best in his new adventure.”

Staten has long been one of the best-known names behind the Halo franchise, having been cinematic director on Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3, and having served as lead writer on Destiny while with Bungie.

Halo Games in Chronological Order

He eventually left Bungie for Microsoft and served as a senior creative director, initially avoiding working on 343's Halo to focus on shaping franchise strategy for Microsoft Studios titles. He returned to the franchise in 2020 as campaign project lead and later head of creative, overseeing Halo Infinite. He then rejoined Xbox Publishing earlier this year at the same time that Microsoft announced the layoffs of 10,000 employees, including employees of 343. Staten has also written a number of Halo universe novelizations.

Staten declined to comment for this article.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

He was the story guy right?

I never found the halo stories to be anything special and infinite had a terrible one so I’m not sure how much of a loss this really is tbh
He was primarily responsible for creation of the Halo Story Bible which created the basis of the expanded universe and lore that went with it which is pretty big. He was very important to the series.

Bridges

Oof, what is going on over there?

Halo Infinite is better than it gets credit for but I don't understand how these sorts of negative stories are so frequent.

He was primarily responsible for creation of the Halo Story Bible which created the basis of the expanded universe and lore that went with it which is pretty big. He was very important to the series.

Yeah I realize he was important to the series.

But, the reasons I liked Halo have nothing to do with the story. I find it to be pretty crap tbh.

I liked Halo because of the engaging sandbox gameplay

Luigi Mario

He was the story guy right?

I never found the halo stories to be anything special and infinite had a terrible one so I’m not sure how much of a loss this really is tbh
Staten also was a creative director at Xbox Game Studios from 2014 until 2020 when he joined 343 Industries to work on Halo. He just returned to his old position in January this year and now he is gone for good.
You can look at his game credits here:

Last edited:

phant0m

People used to get arrested at overnight campouts before a Halo game released.

End of an era. Goodbye Halo.
Gamers: we like a fun, 15-20 hour campaign that we can play co-op with our friends on

343: what we have for you today is an open-world, live-service game that you can only play by yourself

It’s still utterly baffling how hard they missed on what made Halo special

Corndog

Banned
Joseph went to 343 to get Halo Infinite shipped, (game was mostly done before he got there) then went to head up Xbox Publishing. Wonder what happened at Publishing that would make him leave Microsoft?
Good question. Maybe he didn’t like the current direction.

Can you not read? He hasn’t been at 343 since January.

wow dude, chill out. . did you read the questions I was replying?

Do not understand the people obsessed with the story

this person doesn't understand why this story is significant.

I was just saying this Joseph Staten IS NOT an ordinary chump.

he WAS seen as the savior (by the community) of infinite BEFORE releasing.

6tYKKNE.jpg

he was seen as figure of leadership inside Xbox

yezz dont get all crazy

I always thought he was part of 343 still.

Halo infinite is one of the most played games rights now on Xbox and doing a lot better ever since Bonnie left which was the most important move.

Only person I truly wish didn’t leave is Rob Ferguson. He is the best director in the business and I honestly believe that.

he was supposed to be Halo's infinite savior.

he was a very important/legacy/leader figure inside Xbox.
I liked infinite as a game tbh - it was really fun, love the grappling hook - but the story wasn’t good. And it was missing a TON of basic features that are standard for halo games.

I guess the main thing is I actually don’t think any of the halo stories are good, at least in the games they were always like b-movie sci fi to me - I get that he’s a part of halo history but yeah. 343 is a sinking ship Id be more stoked if he got back with bungie and did the OG bungie crew for a new marathon game

Naked Lunch

So much flat out false info in this thread.
Staten joined the Infinite team at the tail end of the development - took a leadership role post the first major delay - basically he got the game shipped.
Plus Staten left 343 already, earlier this year - that news was the shocker to old timer Halo fans. That crowd was hoping he was the savior (me included) - when it appears he was just "the shipper".
Even more broadly - Staten already left and rejoined MS in the past.
Does make you wonder why he's leaving (again) though - he is getting older I think.

Its not all doom and gloom for Halo though because the dude who fixed the MCC is now in charge of 343.

Last edited:
Top Bottom