• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World Dominion - Official Trailer

Star-Lord

It's much better than Fallen Kingdom imo. I did not enjoy Fallen Kingdom, but had a lot of fun with Dominion. Has flaws definitely, but a good movie going experience.
The only reason - and it's a pretty minor reason at that - that Dominion is better than Fallen Kingdom is because of the original trio.

Other than that, everything sucked about the film.

Kimahri

Banned
The only reason - and it's a pretty minor reason at that - that Dominion is better than Fallen Kingdom is because of the original trio.

Other than that, everything sucked about the film.
Agree to disagree. I found it much more entertaining. Trevorrow is great at one thing, directing action. I don't find Bayona to be good at that. He's good at mood and suspense, and most of the action in Fallen Kingdom fell flat for me.

So yeah, sorry you hated it. But I found it to be an imperfect but fun ride.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I thought it was a fine movie. Not great. I liked some of the new dinosaurs which is the whole point right.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yeah, I hear you. But if you've first got dinosaurs brought back, them ending up elsewhere is less far fetched than them being there in the first place.

Kinda agree about The Lost World. I found the Rex rampage pretty fun, but the whole part on the island is just so good, and then it just turns into a godzilla movie suddenly.

Haha I rewatched this recently with my son. I remember watching it and thinking, oh this was a lot better than I remembered. Then it went to San Diego and turned into Godzilla and I remember I said the exact same thing when it came out. Like why did they do that.

Haha I rewatched this recently with my son. I remember watching it and thinking, oh this was a lot better than I remembered. Then it went to San Diego and turned into Godzilla and I remember I said the exact same thing when it came out. Like why did they do that.
They did it because watching a T-Rex eat people and wreck shit in the modern day is rad 😎

Aggelos

"Other deleted scenes include a fight between an Oviraptor and a Lystrosaurus, set in the black market; and an extended confrontation between Ramsay and Dodgson, lasting about two minutes."

Q: What was the last thing that you cut out of the film before you picture locked and why?

TREVORROW: Ooh, well, I know what it is.

Q: And I would like to know what it is too.

TREVORROW: There is a scene between Ramsay Cole, Mamoudou's character, and Campbell Scott, Louis Dodson. There's no dinosaurs in it. It's just a piece of performance. And it's these two actors, someone who's playing someone who had great trust for this man who feels betrayed by him and a man who's revealing a side of himself that this younger man has never seen before. And it also does a lot to go further into understanding the intentions of Biosyn when it comes to this ecological disaster that's been created all around the world, the mistakes that were made and why this character actually only cares to cover up his mistakes and move on. I love those two actors so much. So this is just more me as a director than a dinosaur fan. But that was kind of the last thing. And I know people will get a chance to see it, but every little bit hurts.

Q: Was it a minute or two, or was it a longer scene than that?

TREVORROW: It's probably like a two and a half minute. It's a good little chunk of movie. And it's just one of those I'm sure every... And this isn't...There's no studio gun to my head. It's not one of those scenarios. It's where we just recognize like, look, this needs to be streamlined in a certain way in order to make sure that people who want the richer, hopefully more fulfilling experience. But what do I know?

I think oftentimes movies can feel a little long. So I think it's something that everyone's going to have their own opinion on. I think the movie we have moves in a way that doesn't feel like it's a two hour and 20 minute movie. And that's what's most important. It's not the length of the movie. It's the experience you have while watching it and the pace of it while you watch it. I'm very proud of the movie. And yet I'm also really excited that we have more stuff to share with people.

Q: What dinosaur or dinosaurs ended up coming the closest to being in the film and why didn't they make the final cut?

TREVORROW: Ooh, there is a scene, and if people have seen the movie, by the time we talk about it, when we're in the amber clave market, the underground market in Malta. There is a scene where our Lystrosaurus, which is the animal that ends up in the fight ring with Chris Pratt sitting next to Kayla has a fight with an Oviraptor. And it's honestly one of my favorite things in the movie, and it's not in the movie. You'll get a chance to see it someday. But it's just one of those kind of moments that you can kind of tell that it's the 12-year-old who was allowed to make the film, coming forward and doing a sequence. So that one's pretty dope.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
When
Crisp Rat choked the dilophosaurus puppet

I could not stop laughing. Whole movie felt like a fever dream.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Just took my son to this. Cannot believe how bad it was.
Majority takes place at this facility that appears to be several square miles large, yet they keep running into each other, finding each other at the exact right moment (in a lab that has at least 17 sublevels...), and coming across just the dino they need at the right time.
I get it's a dumb action move about dinosaurs, but damn. Makes me wanna watch Moonfall to wash the dumb off.

Also, I like a jumpscare as much as the next person, but these dinosaurs are freaking stealth ninjas no matter how gigantic they are. Ninja dino trope well is run dry on this one.

Ristifer

I think that's TLW's issue when it comes to the San Diego part. Once you remove the big, spectacular aspect of dinosaurs from their own island/habitat, and then place them in the middle of [insert city here], the spectacle is gone. It can still be a fun ride to watch the carnage, but once the spectacle is lost, the tonal shift can be almost too jarring.

Billbofet

I think that's TLW's issue when it comes to the San Diego part. Once you remove the big, spectacular aspect of dinosaurs from their own island/habitat, and then place them in the middle of [insert city here], the spectacle is gone. It can still be a fun ride to watch the carnage, but once the spectacle is lost, the tonal shift can be almost too jarring.
That's another issue I have with this latest movie - no sense of wonder. The dinos are almost treated as an obstacle vs. the focus of the story.
And while it's always cool to see new dinos, I recall maybe a dozen dinos at most getting out in Lost Kingdom, but here, four years later - endless variety of fully-grown dinos. There had to be at least 15 new breeds introduced in this movie.
I don't know much about dino gestation and maturity, but wouldn't it take decades for some of these to get fully adult size?

I know I'm overthinking it, but if they are going to make leaps in logic, they should have leaned into it a lot more and made it the focus vs. bugs.

Kimahri

Banned
That's another issue I have with this latest movie - no sense of wonder. The dinos are almost treated as an obstacle vs. the focus of the story.
And while it's always cool to see new dinos, I recall maybe a dozen dinos at most getting out in Lost Kingdom, but here, four years later - endless variety of fully-grown dinos. There had to be at least 15 new breeds introduced in this movie.
I don't know much about dino gestation and maturity, but wouldn't it take decades for some of these to get fully adult size?

I know I'm overthinking it, but if they are going to make leaps in logic, they should have leaned into it a lot more and made it the focus vs. bugs.
I agree about spectacle, but there weren't that many dinos in the wild. There was that ranch, the parasaurolophus chase, a couple of apatasauruses (we saw at least one of those escape at the end of fallen kingdom) and whatever was in that news report at the beginning. Can't remember.

But most of the others, and new ones at that were in biosyn valley. Biosyn have been making dinosaurs of their own, so it's not lile all of those were from Isla Nublar.

Remember, Dogdson had Nedry's Barbasol can.

SJRB

Gold Member

giphy.gif

Wunray

Watched the movie the other day and got to say it's garbage like the fast and the furious has turned into, but I watched it in 4dx and that experience was awesome.

Vick

FVfQsRhVEAEwEsB

Well fuck yeah. Just put the Prologue back and it's a much better movie.
Now i hope i'll like the other new scenes though..

When
Crisp Rat choked the dilophosaurus puppet

I could not stop laughing. Whole movie felt like a fever dream.
Read an interesting thing about it: Owen is compressing the Dilo venom sack in that scene. I mean, he knows how to deal with these animals.

Cyberpunkd

Watched the movie the other day and got to say it's garbage like the fast and the furious has turned into, but I watched it in 4dx and that experience was awesome.
Same, movie is hit thrash with little dinosaurs in it but the 4DX showed me why it’s still worthwhile to go to the cinema.

BossLackey

Gold Member
FVfQsRhVEAEwEsB

Read an interesting thing about it: Owen is compressing the Dilo venom sack in that scene. I mean, he knows how to deal with these animals.

I figured that was the case, but my point is that it looked like a fan video of someone choking a glorified sock puppet.

Aggelos

FVfQsRhVEAEwEsB

Well don't expect something that would change things dramatically. The Prologue went public, so people know about it. That's leaves 10 more minutes of extra material.
DeWanda Wise's Kyala Watts has some scenes showing her backstory. There's a fight between Lystrosaurus and Oviraptor in the black market.

"Exact details have not been revealed in terms of what will be included in the extended cut, although Trevorrow previously stated roughly 15 minutes were cut from the theatrical release, including the original teaser that took place during the Cretaceous era that was shown in theaters. In addition, there's a sequence at the underground market in Malta with a fight between a Lystrosaurus and an Oviraptor and another longer scene between Louis Dodgson and Ramsay Cole at the Biosyn Headquarters."

"DeWanda Wise added, "She had this moment, and it's probably gonna be in the extended cut, maybe, we'll see, but she has this beautiful pair of brass knuckles and we have this entire backstory of this adventure that she had gone on in South Africa – [laughs] Girl, I love backstories! – where she procured these knuckles. Because a lot of Kayla has this kind of Indiana Jones, she's been everywhere. Some of her travels are for work and she goes on them because she has to go on them, and some are just for her."

7nD8nJ1.jpg

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Out of all the reboots this is the best one yet for me, gets a solid 7.5/10 from me.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What a FUCK was this lol.

That fucking woman with the laser hahahahaha, I rolled over laughing, she was like pointing at people behind her back and shit.

How exactly does this work, the raptors weren't even looking at the laser, do they smell it? telepathy?

Aggelos

What a FUCK was this lol.

That fucking woman with the laser hahahahaha, I rolled over laughing, she was like pointing at people behind her back and shit.

How exactly does this work, the raptors weren't even looking at the laser, do they smell it? telepathy?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's supposedly technology that was demonstrated with the Indoraptor in the previous film, JW Fallen Kingdom. They wanted to weaponize the dinosaurs anyhow, and lo and behold there it is -> the woman and the laser that made you crack up.

Asbm8ul.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm a very forgiving viewer who has no problem switching their brain off for a movie, in fact there are some right shit films tht are guilty pleasures of mine but......this movie was terrible, and beyond stupid.
Hopefuully they put the series to bed for a decade or so.

dr_octagon

Banned
Director: Imagine Jason Bourne and Indiana Jones style action but with dinosaurs and lasers.

Movie studio: I don't think so.

Director: I brought some coke.

Movie studio: How quickly can you make it?

ManaByte

Director: Imagine Jason Bourne and Indiana Jones style action but with dinosaurs and lasers.

Movie studio: I don't think so.

Director: I brought some coke.

Movie studio: How quickly can you make it?

You don't know how accurate this is. I've heard some things that the studio hated the script.

It also was originally going to be two movies at one point.

dr_octagon

Banned
They should have gone all out, if you are going to tank the film.

Dinos in Tron style world? Why not.

Dino controlling a giant robot vs squid monster? Sure.

Dino professor X who can speak telepathically? Yep.

dr_octagon

Banned
Did you know Jeff Goldblum didn't realise this was a film.

They said his friends were coming round and brought over some dinosaurs. They placed sugar cubes and carrots where Jeff needed to stand.

He had no script. In an interview, he thought it was an elaborate escape room.

Source: I'm the director, Trevor Tomorrorow.

Kimahri

Banned

Where? All the usual suspects?

Did you know Jeff Goldblum didn't realise this was a film.

They said his friends were coming round and brought over some dinosaurs. They placed sugar cubes and carrots where Jeff needed to stand.

He had no script. In an interview, he thought it was an elaborate escape room.

Source: I'm the director, Trevor Tomorrorow.
You are very funny.

Batiman

Banned
This movie was ridiculous but I had a lot of fun watching it. It was definitely better than the last one. I just soaked in all the fan service and cool dinosaurs and enjoyed it. It gave me an old early 2000 vibes.

Im not sure the franchise had to go all in on this craziness but that shit started with Jurassic world. Are dinosaurs not enough that you have to add all these ridiculously villains? Should of just kept it more simple. The movie did have some great shots though

Last edited:

ManaByte

I expected to hate this because I hated Fallen Kingdom. Once that movie got off the island it was boring. But I liked it a lot more than Fallen Kingdom, maybe because they brought back the original cast and the storyline reminded me a lot of Crichton’s version of Lost World.

Kimahri

Banned
I expected to hate this because I hated Fallen Kingdom. Once that movie got off the island it was boring. But I liked it a lot more than Fallen Kingdom, maybe because they brought back the original cast and the storyline reminded me a lot of Crichton’s version of Lost World.
Agree fully. Fallen Kingdom just looses me completely after thr island and with all the indoraptor stuff. I'm just not into the hybrids.

Enjoyed Dominion a lot though, could be better in many ways, but it was a fun movie. Was hoping to see it again today since JW Instagram said it was on demand today, but seems not in Europe. 🤷‍♂️

Mikey Jr.

Feels like this franchise has gone completely off the rails.

Raptors that are programmed to attack by a laser beam?

Is this the same jurrasic park I saw as a kid? So full of wonder and imagination.

Now assassin raptors.
And man putting up a hand which stops dinosaurs from eating him? That part I don't get.

SkylineRKR

Dominion is a continuitation of Jurassic World, so yeah its not going to be half as good as the original JP. With those expectations in check I kind of enjoyed Dominion. Not that its a good movie, far from it, I found the locust plot to be stupid and useless, but I had a fun ride. You can dissect it and yeah nothing really makes sense but just turn your brain off. The Malta set piece was fun, and some of the parts with the group vs the T-Rex were fun. Alan and Ellie were thrown in for fan service and actually added nothing, the same goes for Goldblum. Pratt and Howard sort of worked though.

I was more annoyed by the villain, who was doing a very bad job.

I would rate this above JW and Fallen Kingdom. But just treat this as something that isn't Jurassic Park, World is based on it but its something entirely different. And to be honest, bar the way too big cast and too long runtime, I've appreciated Lost World much more since the Jurassic World movies exist. Though JP3 was sort of bad already (esp. Leoni and Macy).

RaduN

I was not prepared for how bad this movie is.
I liked the previous two, the 2nd was pretty good imo, especially the ending, but this one..man, this is beyond bad.
Do not waste your time, it's worse than you think, in all aspects.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I got to about 45 minutes left and fell asleep and the movie was over. I decided not to go back and finish, I think it’s really bad. Feels like a cheesy Roland Emmerich disaster grade level movie.

Top Bottom