• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Finished Prince of Persia...

Morts

I picked up Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time during TRU's buy 2 get one last fall, and got around halfway done with it before Christmas rolled around. A week ago I started it up again and flew through it. Anyway, I thought it was an absolutely amazing game, easily one of the best this gen; so is the sequel worth getting? I've noticed a lot of negative comments about Warrior Within's style and soundtrack, which were two of my favorite things about SoT. I loved that it was a perfectly "mature" game without being all dark and gory, as well as the story-telling motif. However, if the platforming in WW compares, then I might have to look into it.

Johnas

I loved the first one and quit playing the second one somewhere in the middle. I know I'm not the only one. It's OK I guess, it just came at a bad time, when there were many other games I would have rather played instead. I plan on tackling it again prior to 3's release.

nitewulf

i loved it as well. one of the few games that kept my attention all the way through recently. from what i understand, second one isnt worth getting, so i didnt.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sands of Time has one of the most memorable game endings this generation...if not the ONLY memorable one.

Oh and the game kicked ass too. I see that Warrior Within dropped to $30, I'm thinking it's time to cave.

newsguy

Brandon F said:
Sands of Time has one of the most memorable game endings this generation...if not the ONLY memorable one.

Oh and the game kicked ass too. I see that Warrior Within dropped to $30, I'm thinking it's time to cave.

I feel the same way. The story telling aspect was amazing and it ties in so neatly in the end. Warrior within didn't do anything for me, and I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about it that seems choppy and not as fluid as part 1.

black_13

Banned
yeah deffinitly an excellent game.

Sadly the second game wasn't so excellent. Nor does the third one.

I blame it on the fact that Ubisoft got too cocky and decided to not work with John Mechneer, the original guy behind the series.

Amir0x

Banned
The sequel is good. It has some of the same exact mechanics that make the first so great. It trades off some of the charm of its atmosphere/characters for angst/lazy design, but it's still a genuinely good game. Can't go wrong at 20 bucks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If I see WW for $20 I'll buy it on the spot.

From what I have seen of part 3, it looks kinda neat. Gamespot's E3 demonstration showed off the new 'stealth' moves, which seems less 'Sam Fisher' and more spastic samurai chop! If the goal of incorporating stealthy cinematic insta-kill animations means cutting down on the "jumping-over-the-shoulders-head-slice" move ad-nauseum, then I'm game. stealth kills look very fluid, very fast, but hopefully not very scripted. Reminds me of Shinobi's Tate kills but with more panache.

I laughed when the developer introduced "DARK PRINCE!" during the demonstration though. I mean cmon now!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
yea, angst. seriously, i adored the first and the second has refined the combat and has some good platforming puzzle sections but...you will immediately realize how hellish the difference in tone is if you like the first game. it just wasn't very likeable.

Firest0rm

I just bought PoP last week, great game worth the $20 CAN I spent on it. However, I noticed there's nothing Persian about it. Everything in it is Arabian, unless by Persian they meant the section of Persia that is now Iraq.

TheDuce22

Banned
The second one was just as good in just about every way except for the atmosphere, maybe the level design (although I didnt have a problem with it) and the story. The combat is really improved, the game is alot more challenging overall. If you liked the first one youll like the 2nd one.

akascream

Banned
I really enjoyed the first one. I didn't play the second because I thought the fighting, while fun in sands of time, was really pushing the boundry of being too much, and the second game is supposed to focus on fighting even more.

Anyway, I really liked the puzzles, and I loved the ending. That beautiful music and that staircase. Great game.

Firest0rm

akascream said:
I really enjoyed the first one. I didn't play the second because I thought the fighting, while fun in sands of time, was really pushing the boundry of being too much,, and the second game is supposed to focus on fighting even more.

Anyway, I really liked the puzzles, and I loved the ending. That beautiful music and that staircase. Great game.

Yea I found some of the fighting parts to be really annoying. For example
the part near the end when your on the elevator and the enemies keep teleporting in took me a really long time to finish, there were just too many of them.
But it was still fun, I loved the platforming, the puzzles, the story, and the ending rocked. Now If only it was longer :(

BuddyC

TheDuce22 said:
If you liked the first one youll like the 2nd one.
I disagree, I didn't care much for Warrior Within. Atmosphere aside, I wasn't a huge fan of the harder/beefed up/better paced fighting. My favorite part about Sands of Time was the ambience, the ability to go at the platforming puzzles at a lesuirely pace after slaughtering the enemy horde. For WW, they staggered the combat so it wasn't all at once, which is nice, I guess, I know some people had problems with the pacing of the first. Personally though, I loved the fighting a whole bunch of guys, simply mashing X and blocking, and then proceeding to the puzzles without any concern of an ambush. Call me weaksauce, but I didn't care about fighting the guys, I just wanted to solve the puzzles, and the stronger emphasis on combat and combos turned me off. Not to mention the boss fights :/

Then again, looking at the sales, I'm probably in the minority there. So while they improved portions of the gameplay for Warrior Within, someone's tendency to take to it depends on why they liked the first one so.

Top Bottom