• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a 4K TV - what PS4 Pro Games Should I Play on It?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So my old monitor died and I bought a brand new 4K screen that just arrived.

Ive never gamed in 4K before and I own a PS4 Pro and a number of 4K compatible games. So the question is, which ones are the best to show off the 4K experience?

Already planning on playing Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn, as well as SotC Remake.

Any other games recommended to check out at 4k? What’s the best 4K experience you can currently get?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Days Gone. Detroit. God of War. Last of Us 2. Spider-Man. Uncharted Thief's End & Lost Legacy.

In my opinion, Horizon Zero Dawn is the best with 4K & HDR. Remember & set up the TV properly & tune the HDR on the console (y)

GymWolf

days gone, horizon, spidey, ratchet and gow are pretty crisp.

tlou2 has that fucking film grain who absolutely ruin the IQ but he still has top notch graphic.

same for rdr2, great graphic ultra shitty upscaling implementation.

Kuranghi

What these guys said ^^^^^^ + Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy XV, Infamous Second Son & First Light (Especially if you bought an OLED), Hellblade and Shadow of the Colossus!

Last edited:

TheContact

RDR2 and FF7R are good ones too. (make sure to enable HDR on your TV if it supports it)

Last edited:

Kuranghi

RDR2 and FF7R are good ones too. (make sure to enable HDR on your TV if it supports it)

Both those implementation are actually broken, epspecially RDR 2, but it doesn't look terrible or anything, just not as good overall as the SDR from my experience. Tbh though, that doesn't really have anything to do with whether people will like it or not. I should've kept my big mouth shut damnit lol

Kuranghi

What TV do you have where you have to "enable HDR"? It should just happen automagically when the set receives the appropriate signal/flag. I know some of the old 2016 Samsungs were a bit weird about how you enabled it, maxing out the backlight manually, etc.

TheContact

What TV do you have where you have to "enable HDR"? It should just happen automagically when the set receives the appropriate signal/flag. I know some of the old 2016 Samsungs were a bit weird about how you enabled it, maxing out the backlight manually, etc.

My 4k TCL TV had it enabled by default, but it does have the option to turn it off. My friend's TV (I forget the brand, Vizio maybe, he had to toggle HDR on).
Edit: he says it's a Samsung

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

First party stuff is best. Also read manual on TV because you may have to enable full bandwidth on the HDMI port. Its called different things on different models.

The PRO HDMI cable that came with mine wasnt good for 4K and HDR. It said it was hi speed but apparently not enough. New cable works great so watch for that issue

JeloSWE

Spider-man = Very crisp. HDR is poor, limited peaks whites at around 600nit, looks dull on a 1000+ nits LCD.
Detroit = Beautiful game. Pretty good HDR
GT Sport = Looks very crisp. Very good HDR
God of War = Beautiful game. HDR is decent but uneven depending on level and location.
TLOU2 = Extremely pretty game, undefeatable film grain. HDR is done pretty well.
FF7R = Crazy good looking characters, pretty and detailed but low res looking backgrounds. HDR is nice.
HZD = Pretty nature, HDR is ok.

Only GT Sport supports matching the games internal renderers luminosity range HDR to the TV and can easily output above 2000 nits. The other games don't let you match to your screen peak white as easily.

Most OLEDs can only do ca 600-800 nits as well as mediocre LCDs.
Good LCDs 1000-1200 nits.
Great LCDs can do 1500~2000 nits.
A few, very expensive, top offerings LCDs can do 3000~4000 nits.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Woah I didn’t realize Spider-Man played in 4K. Nice! Thanks for the suggestions

Hooking up my tv now. They only sent one half of the stand so it’s just leaning against the wall for the moment.

MrS

Banned
God of War
Sekiro
Death Stranding
Days Gone
TLOU2
Resogun
Nex Machina

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Playing Spider Man right now. I have the comic book suit and the smoothness of the lines is blowing my mind. I can even see the individual dots on the skin texture!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
HZD, Marvel's Spider Man, The Division, God of War.
Don't play Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Looks like shit
You can see everything and it don't look good

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dayum this shit is a game changer. I never really thought that much about it but 4K is a ton more pixels! Death Stranding has so much detail in it it’s insane.

This stuff looks amazing and it is still running just about the same performance. Hah it was only $200 but this is a total game changer. Definitely getting GoT.

Last edited:

sn0man

Don’t sleep on TLOU Remastered if you’ve not played it or even if you have and want to play it again. 1800p 60fps HDR is a really enjoyable experience honestly.

sn0man

The HDR of that game makes some environments look photorealistic.
Yeah I went back to it as I experienced the game twice already. Watched my wife play it the first time and then played it on hard myself on PS3. With part 2 coming out I decided I wanted to run through the story to really enjoy myself. I played remastered on survivor and it was very enjoyable at 4K 30fps HDR on the OLED. There are moments in Pittsburgh that were very quiet and beautiful.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Witcher 3 looking incredible here. Get yourself a 4K tv! life like sharpness it is no joke.

Its crazy there is so much additional detail on everything. Gerald looks like a living action figure on the screen! So damn sharp I can’t see the pixels anymore.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Gravity Rush 2
Gravity-Rush-2-gif-4-1.gif

ae7da968bc05cd869aeb41365572781c.gif

Clover904

Days Gone. Detroit. God of War. Last of Us 2. Spider-Man. Uncharted Thief's End & Lost Legacy.

In my opinion, Horizon Zero Dawn is the best with 4K & HDR. Remember & set up the TV properly & tune the HDR on the console (y)

Death Stranding is gorgeous. Animations in The Last of Us Part II are unmatched.

Personally:

HZD
RDR2
Spiderman
SW: BF2
Tomb Raiders

Anything with 'distance' is where 4K shines.

All PS4 Pro Games with 4K Resolution Support

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Dayum this shit is a game changer. I never really thought that much about it but 4K is a ton more pixels! Death Stranding has so much detail in it it’s insane.

4K has 4 times more detail than 1080p.

Not mentioned so far, but Ratchet & Clank on the PS4 looked extremely good in 4K/HDR.

I don't know about how it works on most tv, but in my Lg Oled you have to abilitate the HDMI to receive the HDR signal , if I'm not wrong, and you must do it separetely for every of the Hdmi ports. Furthermore,you must enable the Playstation to send HDR, no ?

Top Bottom