• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just picked up Silent Hill 4 for $15, but I can't bare to play it after only...

...after 30 minutes..... Does this thing get any better? The battle system is just so damn dull and broken. No matter how well I do, I can't escape a battle without having some of my health being wittled away.

Seriously, should I not waste anymore time into this shit or what?

The game won't pick up anytime soon. If you're already frustrated with the gameplay, you won't make it. It'll only get more difficult.

Richiban

Play it on easy. It's by far a more enjoyable experience.

Having said that, SH4 was far and away the worst one of the series.

Aw shit.... :(

Maybe I'll try it on *gulp* easy, but that's something I have NEVER done in all of my gaming career.

Hope my dick doesn't fall off.......

:lol

The game never really gave me problems on Normal (or, whatever the default difficulty was), but I have a high tolerance for "experimental" gameplay. I sort of recall finding the first couple of stages jarring in comparison to the other SHs, so maybe you'll warm up to it three stages in? But, I'm also the patient type.

Speevy

Banned
After playing RE4, I told myself I would never play another game with those terrible SH2-level controls. This is 2005, afterall.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I can remember being pretty frustrated with Silent Hill 4's battle system when I started the game as well. I don't know if I got used to it and found out how to fight effectively or it got better, but I still wound up liking the game.

If you are a Silent Hill fan that keep pluggin it's worth it. It you can't play games that bug you then don't bother.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Go, go easy mode! :lol

Me not having my gaming penis won't make you any less poor in real life, TTOB. :p

I'm gonna give it one more hour of gameplay at normal. Then it's to EB it goes. Not risking my pee pee. :lol

Me not having my gaming penis won't make you any less poor in real life, TTOB. :p

Yeah, but the world will be safe from your genes, you'll be out $15 bucks for a game you can't get into, and you'll be further emasculating yourself enduring it in easy mode. :p

I'll give you $5 for it, just because that chick is nicely modelled. :D

Emasculation is the word for the day thanks to this stupid book I'm reading. Well, it's not stupid. Just lots of genital mutilation. Wheeeeee!

Belfast

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. Its hard to bring myself to play it even though I love the rest of the series. That and the plot seems REALLY slipshod. It just doesn't have a good setup or anything and feels more like an amateur trying to make a Silent Hill game instead of Konami itself.

Emasculation is the word for the day thanks to this stupid book I'm reading. Well, it's not stupid. Just lots of genital mutilation. Wheeeeee!

What the hell could you be reading?!? @_o

Don't worry - it's nothing by Gerard Houarner. :p

Badal2-mr.jpg

Fun stuff. Full of gruesome morgue photos and such. The sort of things you really don't need to see, but deep down can't stop looking at. Certainly a nice compliment to a game of Silent Hill's nature. :D

Now I just need to find this guy and bring him out of retirement. Hooo yeah! Clean up the neighborhood.

Don't worry - it's nothing by Gerard Houarner. :p

Badal2-mr.jpg

Fun stuff. Full of gruesome morgue photos and such. The sort of things you really don't need to see, but deep down can't stop looking at. Certainly a nice compliment to a game of Silent Hill's nature. :D

Now I just need to find this guy and bring him out of retirement. Hooo yeah! Clean up the neighborhood.

Sometimes, you REALLY scare me, TTOB...... *shivers*

cvxfreak

I didn't like SH4 too much. Too many flaws. It did have a pretty interesting take on survival horror, but the combat system took a backwards step from SH3, which was perfect for the formulaic RE-style gameplay.

dillinger

Banned
It gets better after the first hour. i was really dissapointed with it in the begining,but it starts to pick up after that

MrDaravon

I really want to like SH4 for the atmosphere and so forth, but the gameplay is so, so broken. It was all downhill after 2.

Bebpo

Banned
Silent Hill has never been about it's gameplay. The gameplay in SH1-4 all suck ass with terrible controls/combat and not so great cameras. But the games are still great experiences because of their story/atmosphere.

SH4 has the worst gameplay of all four released so far; but it's behind SH2 in terms of Story/Atmosphere. The atmosphere of the first-person parts alone make the game worth playing through.

And there's no shame in playing on Easy in real horror games (not fake horror RE), since they all have awful gameplay and if the normal mode is pissing you off you might as well try on easy.

Wollan

It really takes of when the appartement starts to get *really* haunted. If I found my home doing crazy things like that and I couldn't leave, I would just end myself.

MC Safety

White Man said:
Duder, you're not even at the REALLY bad part of the game.

I agree. Wait until you have to shepherd the dumbest woman alive, real or imagined, around. Or revisit the places you've already been because, hey!, that's the funnest thing evar.

Silent Hill is a great game, although I can't play it cuz it scares the SHIT outta me,

but its really sad to se a great series getting ruined by alot of releases in a short time.

it would've been perfect to have up to SH3 on this gen.

other examples:

-Jak & Daxter
-Ratchet & Clank

I would've said GTA, but that crappy game is still selling like crazy

Ceb

Speevy said:
After playing RE4, I told myself I would never play another game with those terrible SH2-level controls. This is 2005, afterall.

Henry moves a lot more fluidly than Leon does in RE4, but whatever. The only thing RE4 has that SH4 doesn't have is the pseudo first-person aiming.

Ceb said:
Henry moves a lot more fluidly than Leon does in RE4, but whatever. The only thing RE4 has that SH4 doesn't have is the pseudo first-person aiming.

Uh... NO. He does NOT move more fluidly than Leon. No fucking way (and to keep it in perspective, I make fun of controls/movement in RE4 every chance I get!). And Henry has no quick turnaround. WHAT A USELESS DUDER!

harry2020

I forced myself to complete this game just becuase I loved all the others.... by the end of the game I was cursing every single second that I played it becuase the story was utterly pathetic.. and the way they rehash the locations... it was just awful... worst SH ever.

Top Bottom