• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena : Bridge of Spirits 50 mins of Gameplay

hemo memo

Gold Member
Choosing easy difficulty
Dissapointed GIF by memecandy

TBH, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. It looks good and all, but I was expecting something... more. I think the hype around this game is mostly owed to its artstyle...

I dunno man. I'm hyped by the game precisely because it's not "hype". It looks like a gorgeous, simple game. And that is all it needs to be. At least for me.

Lux R7

TBH, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. It looks good and all, but I was expecting something... more. I think the hype around this game is mostly owed to its artstyle...

eh, i agree, wanted to get this on pc but now i'm not sure anymore. Looks good but the gameplay is not groundbreaking imho, seems like Alice Madness Returns (which is good, just not so new).

ACESHIGH

Banned
I wish gamers supported these type of indie efforts more and did not pair them against AAA games. Because they will never reach those heights in production values.

And then when the game bombs, indie devs resort to their tired 8 bit throwback games and metroidvanias.

We need more AA games like this one, daymare 1998, dangerous driving, biomutant, song of horror...

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

It looks as expected to me. Its a new studio that capable of delivering good animations. The gameplay doesn't seem to set the world on fire and its supposedly beatable over a few evenings. It might be a good purchase for a young crowd, its got a lower RRP as well.

In all honesty this looks like a good PS Plus release, probably not going to purchase. I might've if it actually hit launch day.

Nickolaidas

Has it been stated how long is this game going to be an Epic exclusive on PC? (Godfall too, for that matter)

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah I’ve been super impressed before but this video made it seem… I don’t know, old I guess? It loans many things from other games but maybe not the best bits, like I don’t think anyone are excited to play a long segment where you just climb on white edges.

Looks stellar though, the cinematics are pretty amazing, fantastic animation, and it’s made by a small team.

Fredrik

Has it been stated how long is this game going to be an Epic exclusive on PC? (Godfall too, for that matter)
I saw someone guessing it would be locked to EGS for a year.

I don’t have a problem with Epic in general but with Steam I can stream to Steam Link or Nvidia Shield which makes it easier to play with the kids.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Game was obviously focusing on aesthetics and visuals, gameplay seems lacking.

Bartski

Gold Member
There is something incredibly relaxing about it, like a game I'd love to play to rest after binging on something hard.

Comes together just fine. Looking at the skill tree could be really short, for the better. Tons of framerate chugging but that will hopefully be gone on release at least on PS5, not a day one pick up but likely later.

Ozzie666

The game and the art style are indeed beautiful. I just hope they've spent as much time making a great game under the surface. My own concern is the visuals may be the most important thing to the development team. Hopefully I am wrong and there is a good game here as well.

It's funny that everyone is kinda saying graphics look good but gameplay looks meh. Goto a Ratchet thread and I don't think anyone said a thing about gameplay at all, just how good the graphics are. It's gameplay is anything but ground breaking.

hlm666

I saw someone guessing it would be locked to EGS for a year.

I don’t have a problem with Epic in general but with Steam I can stream to Steam Link or Nvidia Shield which makes it easier to play with the kids.
You should be able to stream whatever you want with steam link by adding a shortcut to your steam library.

Kena is cute, but it's not a Rivet...

Tribeca is a film festival, right?
I think to be show there they should polish the animations more.

Tschumi

Love this game, got it on preorder, very excited, but there ain't no way I'm spoiling 50 minutes of the experience voluntarily.

Of the two or three minutes I did watch, Kena's running style seems a bit basic but other than that it's very impressive - I'm reassured to see hints of the inexperienced developers showing through... make it seem more... legit?

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This went from something I was really looking forward to to something I will wait on the reviews for. The gameplay looks really basic and underwhelming.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They need to tweak these animations a little.

But the game is fine for what it is, I do plan on giving it a try, barring some major disaster.

Hunnybun

It's funny that everyone is kinda saying graphics look good but gameplay looks meh. Goto a Ratchet thread and I don't think anyone said a thing about gameplay at all, just how good the graphics are. It's gameplay is anything but ground breaking.

This just seems to be the line to take for people who want to sound clever. It's pretty tiresome given how incredibly rare genuinely original games actually are.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People keep saying they were expecting more? This game is from small team making video game for a first time.....come on people.

As for me I'm excited.

Last edited:

skit_data

This looks great! Impressed by the gameplay, visuals and aesthetic!

Looks like the perfect game to play with my SO. My ultetior motive is a long term ambition for her to get good enough at games to make her share my affection for the Soulsborne-genre.

NahaNago

Ratchet has the wow factor in its graphics when it comes to gameplay. Kena looks good but when it comes to creating awe in gameplay it absolutely fails. I guess I would ultimately say that Kena looks like a 4k remaster port of a ps2 game whereas Ratchet would be a game made from the ground up for ps5.

I'm still going to buy it since I want to see where the story goes. Plus I think the cut scenes are going to continue to look amazing.

bender

What time is it?
Skipped around a bit. I love how colorful it is. I really dislike how compact the character's running and movement animations are, it just doesn't look natural at all (her sprint looks much better). It has Uncharted inspired platforming...boo!

iorek21

Gameplay-wise, it doesn't really look outstanding.

As for graphics, I guess it'll look way better on our screen.

Top Bottom