• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keyes: I oppose popular election of senators

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&e=9&u=/ap/20040814/ap_on_el_se/illinois_senate

Keyes Wants to End Election of Senators

Sat Aug 14, 7:14 PM ET

By MIKE ROBINSON, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO - Alan Keyes (news - web sites) said he would like to end the system under which the people elect U.S. senators and return to pre-1913 practice in which senators were chosen by state legislatures.

The Republican Senate candidate in Illinois, asked about past comments on the election process, said Friday the constitutional amendment that provided for popular election of senators upset the balance between the people and the states.

"The balance is utterly destroyed when the senators are directly elected because the state government as such no longer plays any role in the deliberations at the federal level," Keyes said at a taping of WBBM Newsradio's "At Issue" program.

He said it was one of the reasons "there has been a steady deleterious erosion of the sovereign role of the states."

Keyes' Democratic rival, state Sen. Barack Obama of Chicago, issued a statement saying he supports popular election of U.S. senators.

"I certainly trust the people of Illinois to choose who they want to represent them in the U.S. Senate," he said. "That is the very basis of our democracy."

Keyes said he did not consider repealing the 17th Amendment a high priority.

"But if I ever see an opportunity in politics to promote it, I will," he said.

Keyes is a crazy mother fucker, but you gotta respect the fact that he has extremist views and is in no way apologizing or ashamed of them. I was listening to an interview with him on NPR and he said that Obama had the mentality of a slave-owner because his views towards abortion were, like the slave-owner, blatantly immoral?!?!?! And he said it with what I assume to be a straight face.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
did the republicans think a black man on the ticket would be all they needed in illinois? Keyes is one of the few republicans I have any respect for, but I really dont think he has a prayer in this race. In fact, Keyes is fairly unelectable period, let alone in a fairly liberal state.

Phoenix

Get this nut job out of here. A government of representation is clearly better than one in which people in the government choose their buds and political interests.

Thaedolus

How is this extremist at all? People constantly talk of what the founding fathers' intentions were when they wrote the constitution, and their intentions about the Senate and Executive Branch are pretty damn clear. They wanted Senators to be people of high esteem, 'above' the people. Decisions in the Senate should be made on what's best for the country, not what's best for your poll numbers (which is helped somewhat by the 6 year terms, but has more or less destroyed by the popular vote). This is also the purpose of the electoral college. The House and state legislatures are really the only direct voice of the people the founding fathers had in mind...

Mumbles

Actually, I can't disagree with that. First off, the state legislatures are elected anyway, so it does ultimately come down to the people's opinions. Second, the senate is supposed to represent the states' interests, so it makes sense for the state governments to pick them.

There's so much stuff that we can make fun of Keyes for, why pick out something like this?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
How would senators voted in directly by their state's residents be not representing their state's interests?

xsarien

daedsiluap
So anyone catch the clip of Keyes going off on Hillary for running for the NY senate seat despite only having JUST moved to the state? It was on The Daily Show, fucking priceless.

/Ya' see, because Keyes is from Maryland...

I'm not sure whether I'd agree or not, in that I couldn't tell you which is better, but he does have a good point about the removal of states from the federal decision-making process.

shoplifter

He also opposed Senators running for senate in states they don't actually reside in.

edit: this is what I get for not fully reading each and every post.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I respect keyes because he has conviction in his beliefs. I dont agree with him on much, but I can repsect anyman with conviction, and does not just vote however the wind blows.

To me, this is a non issue. States Rights have been gone since the end of the Civil War, and have slowly been bleading away since then. At this point, state power is a formality, the federal government simply cuts off federal funding whenever they dont do what the feds want.

xsarien said:
So anyone catch the clip of Keyes going off on Hillary for running for the NY senate seat despite only having JUST moved to the state? It was on The Daily Show, fucking priceless.

that was hilarious. He even said something to the effect of "i would never stoop to doing that" or something similar. God bless Jon Stewart and his endless pwning of politicians.

Demigod Mac

Demigod Mac tried to listen to Keyes on NPR, but frankly, couldn't understand a single thing coming out of the man's mouth.

Mumbles

xsarien said:

No, the part that's really funny is that he still stands by that statement. So it's wrong for Hillary Clinton to do it, but it's perfectly fine for him.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The senate in my country isn't elected by the people. They're elected by the graduates of certain universities (most of them, but not some of the newer ones..they newer ones obviously want in, and hopefully will). I'm not sure how I feel about the Senate being elected by academic higher-uppers (and heck, I'm one of them), but here at least, the Senate has very little power. Not sure what it's like in the US?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I think Keyes just wants states to be able to print their own money again. Maybe with his face on it.

Pimpwerx

Keyes is worthless, but he does have conviction, as has been pointed out. Better to believe in something controversial than tow the same line as everyone. That said, he's always stuck me as a parrot for neo-cons. A token parrot who's given airplay more b/c he puts a black face on the neo-con movement. Just my opinion, right or wrong. Obama is being exploited by the Democratic party in much the same way, and he himself is using that to his advantage. PEACE.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
gofreak said:
The senate in my country isn't elected by the people. They're elected by the graduates of certain universities (most of them, but not some of the newer ones..they newer ones obviously want in, and hopefully will). I'm not sure how I feel about the Senate being elected by academic higher-uppers (and heck, I'm one of them), but here at least, the Senate has very little power. Not sure what it's like in the US?
The US Senate has near-equal legislative power to the House of Representatives, with the most significant difference being unable to propose bills regarding taxation or funding. However, the Senate alone can confirm/deny appointments made by the president to positions such as the cabinet or the supreme court, and to ratify treaties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom