• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - The second time around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Well like many people I picked up the Kill Bill Vol. 2 DVD yesterday and I watched it last night. I watched Vol. 2 for the first time in theatres just a few days after I first watched Vol. 1. My initial opinion of Vol. 2 was that it was a good, but not nearly as good as the first half of the story(Vol. 1). I liked Vol.1's over the top action, gore, visuals, etc. Vol.2 was nothing like Vol.1 so it was a bit of a disappointment, but as I said it was still pretty good.

After watching Vol.2 again last night I came to appreciate it a lot more. I don't know if it is because it's been so long since I've watched Vol.1 or what. Perhaps I've just learned to accept the fact that this movie is not Vol.1 all over again and that this is a good thing. Everything just felt like it fit better the second time around. I still like Vol.1 a little better because of its music and visuals (that one ongoing camera shot in the House of Blue Leaves is amazing!!!) but the acting and dialog in Vol.2 is undeniably great.

If Caradine does not win Best Actor (he's not in the film much but he is the male lead) or Best Supporting Actor then something is seriously wrong. His performance as Bill is so good its downright scary. To say that it was brilliant would be an understatement. While they are at it they should nominate Uma for Best Actress and Tarantino for Best Director.

I'm glad that they included the scene featuring Michael Jai White on the DVD. That shit was hilarious and Mr White dies in a most gruesome fashion. They should have kept that scene in the movie, IMO.

Did anyone else notice that during the scene at the start of the movie where Bill & The Bride are talking out in front of the wedding chapel that her eyes and jewelery were no longer turquoise/aqua marine? I seem to recall that in the theatre the entire scene was black and white except for those little touches. They are even turquoise in the trailers included for Vol.2 on the Vol.1 DVD. I wonder why they changed that. I think it looked kinda neat.

I can't wait to see these two movies combined with some additional scenes thrown in. Its going to be awesome.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I rented and watched Vol 1. just before seeing Vol 2. at the theater. I can't imagine watching it any other way. Just a perfect experience.

I'll be first in line for the Kill Bill Complete DVD.

evil ways

I don't think they're going to add much to the next DVD versions, probably just make the House of Blue Leaves fight in color, and add Sophie's extra scene. Commentary would be nice, along with more behind the scenes making of footage.

The Complete Kill Bill, which is both Vol. 1 & 2 merged together is actually shorter and has a scene or 2 taken out.

Guzim

evil ways said:
The Complete Kill Bill, which is both Vol. 1 & 2 merged together is actually shorter and has a scene or 2 taken out.
Yeah, I don't think it has the scene after House of Blue Leaves where the Bride is writing her Death List Five, and we see Budd, Elle, and Bill.

JC10001 said:
If Caradine does not win Best Actor (he's not in the film much but he is the male lead) or Best Supporting Actor then something is seriously wrong. His performance as Bill is so good its downright scary. To say that it was brilliant would be an understatement.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the Academy to recognize his greatest role, that of Frankenstein in Death Race 2000!

deathrace200002.jpg

But seriously, he was damn good, and I wouls just love it if he won.

Also, I really think it should be noted that Tarantino's decision to remove content (if that is indeed the case, and it certainly seems that way) instead of just piling it one extra scene after and another and another, shows that he is indeed a careful and decisive director who checks his ego at the door when it comes to making movies. I fucking applaud him and others would do well to learn from his example.

Mrbob

Well, cutting out that scene does make sense in the complete version. The only reason it is there in Volume 1 is to help set up the events of Volume 2.

I watched Volume 2 last night, and feel the same way. I enjoyed it in the theaters, but I didn't like it as well Volume 1. But I was mesmorized by the over the top action in Volume 1. Being able to kick back and watch Volume 2 at home last night, I appreciated it much more. The dialogue is great, and Volume 2 is a great contrast to Volume 1. I'd argue that Volume 2 would have been a bit boring if all it did was mimic volume 1. I'm having a Kill Bill A-Thon this weekend!

aparisi2274

You know I just finished watching Vol. 2 and I must say this version was real damn good. I mean dont get wrong. I loved Vol. 1 a lot. I loved the music, the fight scenes, and the locations. However, where Kill Bill Vol. 1 was the Ying, then Vol 2. is the yang. Everything about this movie was the complete opposite of Vol. 1. This movie had character development, it had scenes involving long periods of Dialogue. The music was different, the locales were the complete opposite of Vol. 1. Everything was different. I do agree that Caradine was the shit in this movie, and he deserves some acclaim for it. However, I dont see an academy award. I hope he at least gets nominated for it.

Also as far as the fight scene between Bill and Michael Jai White, I can see it being cut, because it looked as if it didnt fit into this movie. I mean when I watched it, it seemed to me that Tarantino shot that scene as a nod to the classic Kung Fu movies that I watched on TV on Sundays. I mean everything from the insane zoom-in shots, to the music, to the sound effects just wreaked Kung Fu Theater.

Also, I didnt know this, but I found out from the credits, that the Pai Mei and the leader of the Crazy 88's, the guy with the kato mask, was the same actor. Gordon Liu. Heh, I never would have guessed.

Anyway, it was a great movie, and now I am sure, like the rest of you, we are all eagerly awaiting his Japanese cut of the film to be released on DVD in 2 parts, then, I am sure there will be a SE of the US cut, a SE of the Jap cut, and then some super duper special edition. I mean Miramax did say that 6-7 versions of this movie would be coming out on DVD.

Bastards!!!

HAOHMARU

I just hope there is an uncut, unrated, Kill Bill complete DVD I won't buy until they release something like this...I hope there are plans for it.

I've seen both movies in Japan and I've seen the US DVD versions...I just can't have black and white in the crazy 88 fight :( Plus I think some footage got deleted...

DJ_Tet

Banned
HAOHMARU said:
I've seen both movies in Japan and I've seen the US DVD versions...I just can't have black and white in the crazy 88 fight :( Plus I think some footage got deleted...

I'm american thus I'm biased, but from a fan's pov I'd want an unedited crazy 88's massacre. As a film student though, I think I prefer the black and white representation (keep in mind I've never seen anything other than the US DVDs). The B and W, combined with the shadow, and other cinima gimmicks kept the fight interesting to me, every 2 min there was a new "viewpoint" of the fights. I thought Tarantino kept the fights short and sweet, and kept the perspective of the fights tight (barring the spanking). As a big fan of Kill Bill prt 1. I almost think a full color fight would chase fans away.

I enjoyed the different masques that Tarantino used, whether or not they were used to progress into the playoffs. I thought that they were used sparingly in KB1, and deserved to be struck down in KB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom