• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

Still loving this game. I want some DLC!!!

jNCCZih.jpg

Holy shit, congrats!

Strider

jNCCZih.jpg

Congrats! I didn't even know you could take screenshots on a vita.

A little LTTP but after going to 3 different stores over the weekend I managed to find this game and pick it up. Man this game is good.

I never thought I'd enjoy a handheld FPS game, but I am. I'm probably going to pick up ShadowFall now as well for more Killzone goodness.

AGoodODST

Man, the proximity mines are really starting to kill the fun for me.

The fact that most of the maps are really narrow and twisty doesn't help as it's impossible to see them and by the time you hear the beeping it's to late. And even when you do, the blast radius is so stupidly large you can't possibly get out the way in time.

Been playing some MP off and on in-between GTA. Lotta fun.

Unfortunatley, I had my first ever vita freeze on my last session. Was able to quit out but this is the first time that has ever happend.

Some more shots I took:

Bonus, rocking that bling bling:
Wow that looks amazing. Trying to be good and finish a bunch of Soul Sacrifice before moving on to KZ but it's hard!

How's the game handle lag online?

Man, the proximity mines are really starting to kill the fun for me.

Dude, equip the Blast Armor. It works absolute wonders. Unless you've taken a hit or two, the mines are never lethal.

Then there's the fact that rocket spam and other such explosive annoyances are becoming increasingly prevalent, so it's a very smart choice. If I had to pick an armor and stick with it forever, it'd be the Blast.

I am really impressed by the campaign. It may be short by most standards, but I actually took some time to play through it and played it on Veteran to start so there were a lot of retrying and tinkering with load outs to get the right fit for a level. The story was good and the overall flow felt nice, even with the segmented mission structure. I'm not usually a fan of breaking up a campaign like that but Guerrilla did it well.

It just felt really good.

AGoodODST

Dude, equip the Blast Armor. It works absolute wonders. Unless you've taken a hit or two, the mines are never lethal.

Then there's the fact that rocket spam and other such explosive annoyances are becoming increasingly prevalent, so it's a very smart choice. If I had to pick an armor and stick with it forever, it'd be the Blast.

Been sticking the the stealth armour but I think I'm going to have to go for Blast, just too frustrating otherwise.

Is there no autosave? I had to exit out off the first mission, came back, and had to start all over again.

No. Bit of a bummer, but I guess in a way it's to cover up the game's relative brevity. I would have made much better progress than I have so far had mis-level saves been possible.

LastNac

No. Bit of a bummer, but I guess in a way it's to cover up the game's relative brevity. I would have made much better progress than I have so far had mis-level saves been possible.
But if I finish the first mission, turn it off, I wont have to play it all the way through again for mission 2?

sajj316

Ya, excellent point. It does seem to be a way to extend the time played. I need to play this game on the highest difficulty and actually attempt more of those hacks (which are annoying but I can't stop until I hack).

But if I finish the first mission, turn it off, I wont have to play it all the way through again for mission 2?

Correct. Finish mission 1 and it auto-saves then at the recap window.

Grisby

This is something I wish the game had more of, not this environment specifically, but the level you took these shots from really did feel like a sneak peak at Killzone ShadowFall.

So to make my point instead of talking around it, I liked the levels that gave us environments that were new, even if it was simply just a re-imagining of Vekta during Killzone 1, it felt fresh and exciting.

Once you start on the Helghan levels 90% of them feel like retreating old ground, especially so considering that we just had Killzone 2 and 3 being current gen games featuring that same type of environments back to back.

I suppose one exception was the slum/bar area.

If we do get a sequel, I hope we don't see not but a single level taking place on Helghan. Show us some of the other planets and unaligned independent colonies.
I agree, and the first few levels were definitely my favorite from a visual standpoint. The later levels look great but I always love me some color variety.

Interestingly though it does work from a narrative view, seeing the bustling colony of Vekta versus the rough poverty stricken Helghan. I definitely picked up on that my first go around.
Is there no autosave? I had to exit out off the first mission, came back, and had to start all over again.
Yeah, you have to finish the mission in one go. Sucks, I know.
How's the game handle lag online?
I have a pretty moderate connection and it's been great. Haven't noticed too many dudes jumping around.

Tygamr

Ugh... I played a match today where this guy on my team was constantly killing the guys I was trying to interrogate. He knew that we were supposed to be interrogating the other team during that phase, as he was doing that. But whenever he saw me interrogating a guy, he'd kill them. I'm thinking he wanted to be in first- I was in first before that phase, and after it, he passed me. What a dick. Seriously, who does that? We're supposed to be on the same team.

RoeBear

Ugh... I played a match today where this guy on my team was constantly killing the guys I was trying to interrogate. He knew that we were supposed to be interrogating the other team during that phase, as he was doing that. But whenever he saw me interrogating a guy, he'd kill them. I'm thinking he wanted to be in first- I was in first before that phase, and after it, he passed me. What a dick. Seriously, who does that? We're supposed to be on the same team.

People do this all the time to me. I usually lose it and just start firing my gun at them. This makes me show up on radar and I try and block his bullets so we both die from the other team.

sajj316

Anyone else getting kicked out of games due to latency issues and loss of connectivity?? Did not have this problem with the beta and it's only recent where this is happening.

Tygamr

Anyone else getting kicked out of games due to latency issues and loss of connectivity?? Did not have this problem with the beta and it's only recent where this is happening.

Happened to me yesterday constantly. Hasn't happened nearly as much today. Only happened twice- it was funny too, because I got kicked, only to rejoin the same game. Except I was on the opposite team, and I had gotten most of the other team's points for them prior to getting kicked. Then I got kicked again.

Been playing some MP off and on in-between GTA. Lotta fun.

Unfortunatley, I had my first ever vita freeze on my last session. Was able to quit out but this is the first time that has ever happend.

Some more shots I took:

Bonus, rocking that bling bling:

Those shots are bonkers. Everyone I play this game I just think How? How is this possible?

leng jai

Having a good time with the singleplayer campaign. It's definitely short though. Pretty amazing how they've managed to replicate the full Killzone experience into the Vita. The controls are great and the only time you can really tell it's a Vita game is when an awful close up texture shows up.

Finished the campaign mode yesterday on soldier difficultly level in just 6hrs17mins - game is on the short side which is my only complaint. Good thing is there's a lot to unlock so I will be going through it again no doubt.

Game is stunning. I've taken the most screen grabs than any other game I've owned. I can't believe at times that this is running on a handheld.

Had a good 2 hour session in bed with this last night; it was after 2am when I finished, but I was in the zone (no pun intended). I think the campaign is excellent so far; I think I've finished 6 or 7 levels now. A small detail, but as someone who's been playing this series from the beginning I really liked the mission where
you team up with the Helghast Heavy to fight off waves of enemy soldiers, and then I felt quite overwhelmed and quite a loss after he'd died
. I did completely struggle with one mission though; where you
have to destroy the reactor to disable the Helghan arc cannons
- at the end of the mission you've got to
pull levels to expose the reactor cores so you can shoot them
, and I died there bloody loads of times. In the end I had to cheat a bit by constantly
running back to Blackjack's container to refill my ammunition and VAN-Guard
, and have it act as a mini-autosave after each lever. I'm playing on Hard and must have died there 20 times. I've bought quite a few additional weapons and equipment so far, but I haven't changed the default AR as I think it's an excellent versatile gun. Have more or less settled on the auto-shotgun as my secondary weapon, and I'm not sure which VAN-Guard is my favourite yet. Also had a good multiplayer session; only on Guerrilla Warfare while I get back into the swing of the MP and learn the maps (it was the first time I'd played since the beta), but I enjoyed it. Although the battery did die right in the middle of a really good game, but it was my own stupid fault. Anyway, such a great game and I'm really enjoying it in all regards. In terms of level design, tactical options and the tech driving it, I think this game easily outclasses a lot of FPSs on PS360.

I've bought quite a few additional weapons and equipment so far, but I haven't changed the default AR as I think it's an excellent versatile gun. Have more or less settled on the auto-shotgun as my secondary weapon, and I'm not sure which VAN-Guard is my favourite yet.

I settled on the LMG as my main gun as it has a big magazine and works as a sniper rifle too.

M80 rocket launcher as my secondary as it can take out mechs and flyers etc. quickly.

Skyfury as my Vanguard as it can clear those "defend the position" situations easy by bombarding the level from above :D

jNCCZih.jpg
I want the plat. I actually have accumulated all the mulitplayer trophies and like 700,000 from my constant need to play Warzone.

I have yet to really touch the singleplayer, but if it's easy to get those trophies I'm going for it.

Finished the campaign last night. I thought it was great; some of the missions felt a bit brief (particularly the first one in the embassy), but it was very action-packed and exciting throughout, with some utterly amazing tech for the platform. I played on Veteran and it was just about right for me (played KZ2 & 3 on Veteran as well because I think the AI is better and they're more rewarding), although that bit with the reactor cores and the last boss were both difficulty spikes. I really enjoyed the couple of missions where you
fight for the Helghast (particularly the mission where you drop the bridge so Kratek's tanks can advance, while holding out against the EXOs)
, and I thought this game did a much better job than all the others of highlighting the moral ambiguity on both sides and showing the ISA in their true light. I also really liked how during the last mission the nuke goes off in Phyrrus, which tied the game back in to the events of KZ2. I'd gladly play KZM2 where you're still playing as Danner, but on the Helghast side running missions to hunt down Rico and Narville, as well as exterminating all the remaining ISA troops and so on. I'll probably have a bit of a break and then come back and complete some of the missions in a different play style. Will also dip in and out of the MP.

AwRy108

I want the plat. I actually have accumulated all the mulitplayer trophies and like 700,000 from my constant need to play Warzone.

I have yet to really touch the singleplayer, but if it's easy to get those trophies I'm going for it.

The singleplayer campaign is excellent, and the difficulty feels "just right" on Veteran. The modifiers that unlock after completing a chapter are a great way to extend the time spent in SP, though, IMHO, they throw way too many trial and error objectives at you.

Kogepan

The singleplayer campaign is excellent, and the difficulty feels "just right" on Veteran. The modifiers that unlock after completing a chapter are a great way to extend the time spent in SP, though, IMHO, they throw way too many trial and error objectives at you.

Great singleplayer...i wasn't expecting to play much SP but I finished it tonight. Will start MP next.

Been playing during lunch...such a great thing to play such a solid FPS on a portable at WORK =)

jiggles

Banned
Yea, I had to abuse Porcupine missiles during this part...

My missiles were on recharge for the whole final section because I burned them all while he was flying about. And then I died so much that I couldn't afford to buyback from Blackjack. I could only do it by sprinting around the outside anticlockwise, timing the start of my laps so I could mow down the reinforcements just as they arrived. I could only ever stop to hide behind a wall to lure him towards the fuel rods so I could attack briefly before having to run off on another lap. Any deviation from the plan or slight mistake and it was lights out.

I suppose I was doing it on the hardest difficulty, but none of the rest of the campaign was close to as difficult as that. I nearly gave up entirely.

I tell you what, though, this game has got me so effin hyped for Shadow Fall now. It's such a slick and well considered package.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After an online order gone to complete fucktown and weeks of horseshit, my copy finally arrived.

Good fucking gravy christ. That opening level blew me away. Is there some seamless FMV trickery going on in the 'camera only' bits or... or is Sony Cambridge bathing in unicorn blood to achieve this?

Tygamr

After an online order gone to complete fucktown and weeks of horseshit, my copy finally arrived.

Good fucking gravy christ. That opening level blew me away. Is there some seamless FMV trickery going on in the 'camera only' bits or... or is Sony Cambridge bathing in unicorn blood to achieve this?

No FMVs. It's all in engine in realtime. It's extremely impressive. I honestly think that most developers just haven't pushed the Vita hard enough or spent enough time with it. Most games that released in 2012 were developed on PS3 originally, and then moved to the Vita (pretty much every Sony launch window title, which is part of the reason why a decent portion of them ran at sub-native resolution).

Strider

I tell you what, though, this game has got me so effin hyped for Shadow Fall now. It's such a slick and well considered package.

Same here. I originally wasn't planning on getting Shadowfall because I didn't want to get 2 FPS games at launch (I'm getting BF4), but it's probably going to be the first game I put in my PS4.

This is my first killzone. I'm hooked.

You can control the camera a little bit I found in the flying suit sections so its definitely realtime in engine. Haven't checked if you can move the camera a little in the other movie sections, but i bet you can.

Tayaya

I absolutely love this game. Been playing it here and there since it came out, and have actually put more into the multiplayer than I ever expected to. However, I seem to always get grouped with randoms that don't really seem to care about the objectives and aren't too great at actually playing. I actually enjoy it when I get put in 1 on 1 situations with a good player though.... some of the maps are really good for playing cat and mouse with.

Some of you guys need to add Fibblesteaks to your friends lists, though, as none of my friends are playing this one, and they're missing out hard.

I'm not great, and I'm trying to avoid sticking to weapons that are clearly imbalanced, but so far the multi is a LOT of fun even with the balance issues. I hope they patch it some more, and not in 1GB-sized chunks please.

Tygamr

I swear to god, the past few days I've gotten completely incompetent people playing on my team. People that cost us points because of how stupid they are. If someone on your team is interrogating an enemy, you don't shoot them. If people are trying to secure vanguard capsules, you should try to cover them, rather than run around trying to pad your K/D ratio. If Someone on our team is right next to you getting interrogated, you should probably kill the guy interrogating them before he kills them rather than after. I mean, ugh...

bLaiSe

I swear to god, the past few days I've gotten completely incompetent people playing on my team. People that cost us points because of how stupid they are. If someone on your team is interrogating an enemy, you don't shoot them. If people are trying to secure vanguard capsules, you should try to cover them, rather than run around trying to pad your K/D ratio. If Someone on our team is right next to you getting interrogated, you should probably kill the guy interrogating them before he kills them rather than after. I mean, ugh...
I don't know if people are just plain stupid or everyone is chasing a better k/d ratio but yeah, that's really annoying.
I'll add you. I know how to play. :)

SmokyDave

Wait until you get further along. It's just incomprehensible. Disgustingly good looking game. I'm particularly fond of the fifth mission.

Zen

Banned
I didn't really notice bad textures to be honest. There were a few here or there that we're slightly low res, but nothing that stuck out. I sortt of wish that the game has a little bit of that blurry depth of field that you get in MP when you get tranqed, the game looks omg good at times when your character is stoned.

I can't believe how good the IQ is in this game. Native Rez and x4 MSAA?

Think game kind of completely validates Sony's 'make out systems easy to develop for like the PS1 (but with very low level access and APIs)' approach and I can't wait to see what their teams can bring to Vita and PS4 in the future. It's the best of both the approaches of the PS1 and PS2 eras.

areal

Covert on veteran difficulty, no HUD, with some nice headphones... sublime.

The art reminds me of Rage, which just makes the whole thing even more impressive.

I hope very much that Cambridge make another game for the Vita.

Top Bottom