• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Richard III to be re-buried 530 years after he was killed in battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingocfs

Futurama-Amazon-Woman-In-The-Mood-Crushed-Pelvises.jpg

Damn they fucked him up.

I can't imagine how he could have been an accomplished Warrior with a spine like that. I know somebody who has such a crooked spine and after the surgery he went through he is very immobile. How can you wield a sword like that? He must have been some volvo from Soul Calibur maniac!

Anjelus_

I can't imagine how he could have been an accomplished Warrior with a spine like that. I know somebody who has such a crooked spine and after the surgery he went through he is very immobile. How can you wield a sword like that? He must have been some volvo from Soul Calibur maniac!

I think you'd be surprised. If you train your back, which he did, your muscles will do all the work for you and it's nearly as bad as the skeleton makes it look. It's very unlikely his deformity was even noticeable unless you knew what to look for.

Richard III killed a bunch of Knights before they brought him down. People in these threads always forget what a badass he was in his last battle. He was undoubtedly shorter than he would have been scoliosis free, but he had to have been in excellent shape all in all.

AxelFoley

Child killer, but he wore a sparkly hat so he gets special treatment. Couldn't think of a child killers grave so I chose Saville. The nutters obsessed with his innocence annoy me, especially the fruitcake in the C4 documentary.

And I know he was a fairly popular king up north and the Tudor propaganda etc, but he still had them bumped off. To be serious, he should be in a glass case at the natural history museum or something.

Bloody 'ell, m8.

(I'm not British, just wanted to say that)

So the procession where this whole thing is going on is actually happening right near me. I normally take a bus into Leicester to go to my local gaming shop (warhammer, tcgs etc) on Sundays but it's all happening along the bus route so I won't be able to go. Stupid dead kings... :p

It's interesting but I won't be going to watch it all happen even though its on my doorstep.

m3k

So the procession where this whole thing is going on is actually happening right near me. I normally take a bus into Leicester to go to my local gaming shop (warhammer, tcgs etc) on Sundays but it's all happening along the bus route so I won't be able to go. Stupid dead kings... :p

It's interesting but I won't be going to watch it all happen even though its on my doorstep.
If you go you could go meet the crazy lady

Missed opportunity brah

Child killer, but he wore a sparkly hat so he gets special treatment. Couldn't think of a child killers grave so I chose Saville. The nutters obsessed with his innocence annoy me, especially the fruitcake in the C4 documentary.

And I know he was a fairly popular king up north and the Tudor propaganda etc, but he still had them bumped off. To be serious, he should be in a glass case at the natural history museum or something.
They were all shit heads back then, and most are now.

Lego Boss

Don't forget Richard and David Attenborough grew up here!

I'm from Loughborough and our heritage primarily involves the local University (link), and also the fact that 200 years ago a bunch of luddites went around smashing up machinery, which prompted John Heathcoat to go into hiding.

But the Richard III stuff gets Leicester a bit more recognition these days, which is nice.

Thanks. Went to Loughboro Uni to do my PhD, and knew about the Luddites too. Of course we also have Thomas Cook - first ever package holiday - to Leicester!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Went and watched the precession go past the estate I live on, quite a large turnout from the locals. Got home to see Firebug, one of the venues I work at on the TV coverage, unexpected.

Amir0x

Banned
basically his resting place was discovered by this woman who runs like a richard iii anti-defamation league, and she thinks that basically the claims that he was badly disfigured, killed the princes in the tower etc. etc. were all made up as tudor propaganda (she comes across as more than a bit crazy)

so she claims she's figured out where he's buried, under a car park

they dig up the car park and find him. amazing! she was right!

only it's really obvious from a casual glance that the skeleton is really badly deformed, exactly as his detractors claimed

Yup. This entire thing was amazing. It's so clear the actual archeologists involved in the dig were like 'sure lady whatever you say it's going to be there.' I guess they're meant to be skeptical, getting such a perfect find is rare. But the lady really believed it. I mean it's not surprising the general location was where it was, they actually did some extensive research to discover where Greyfriars Church was historically. But what was surprising was that they found the skeleton so quickly upon starting the dig. They were like "oh shit there's a skeleton here aaand his spine is fucked up, it's probably Richard III."

The ladies face was so hilarious when he told her that lol. I felt so bad for her... like complete elation followed by instant disappointment. She had the "fuck what am I going to tell The Richard III Society now" look on her face.

What's more fascinating to me however is that in studying his DNA, they found out that his paternal side was apparently not accurate as stated in the historical record. In other words, at some point in time one of Richard's relatives cheated and didn't tell so nobody knew it was from someone else

Nodnol

The whole story is crazy. Finding him, proving it all etc. Went and saw some of the precession.

I think I'm more amazed at how many people in this thread are from Leicester, though.

She's almost ninety, so a drive halfway across England might not be good for her?

She travels all over the country, and abroad, a trip to Leicester is like a couple of hours from Windsor.

Not sure why she didn't go, maybe it was a delegated job, or she had something better to do. Or maybe it was personal, it was Elizabeth I's grandfather who took the crown off Richard. (clutching at straws a bit there).

TCRS

Banned
She travels all over the country, and abroad, a trip to Leicester is like a couple of hours from Windsor.

Not sure why she didn't go, maybe it was a delegated job, or she had something better to do. Or maybe it was personal, it was Elizabeth I's grandfather who took the crown off Richard. (clutching at straws a bit there).

the countess of wessex was there.

Oriel

There's been so many palace coups, illegitimate sprogs, revolutions, executed monarchs in England's history that it shouldn't have mattered if Queen Elizabeth II of the House of Windsor, formally of a German royal household was in attendance. It's not like she is from the long since extinct House of Tudor.

Thank god for America reintroducing Republicanism to the world.

There's been so many palace coups, illegitimate sprogs, revolutions, executed monarchs in England's history that it shouldn't have mattered if Queen Elizabeth II of the House of Windsor, formally of a German royal household was in attendance. It's not like she is from the long since extinct House of Tudor.

Thank god for America reintroducing Republicanism to the world.

lol what's republicanism got to do with it?

There's been one revolution/civil war, one execution, and how many illegitimate monarchs and palace coups? Just curious.

Even so, she is descended from Elizabeth of York (Richard's neice), same as Elizabeth I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom