• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC's The White Queen |OT| A war that won't be won on the battlefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwayne

I played on my DS while my wife watched through the show, while it's not amazing, it is still ok to watch. Reviews have been pretty harsh but I don't think it's deserving.

SteveWD40

The White Queen has been axed by the BBC:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/commissioning/the-white-queen-axed-by-bbc1/5059374.article

The full article can be viewed via google news, but the basic reason is that it didn't get good enough ratings.

The bbc insists that it was not conceived as a returnable series (although if it was a ratings winner you can bet it would have returned)

Yeah, hard to bring it back without changing history, she really didn't do much after Henry took the throne.

Yeah, hard to bring it back without changing history, she really didn't do much after Henry took the throne.

They could have done spin off/sequel. The author of the book that the series is based on has written other books based on members of the royal family: 'Red Queen' and 'White Princess'.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The writing was on the wall for sure, so I can't say that I'm surprised. I still intend to watch it after it's done airing on Starz.

Showaddy

Caught half an episode and Iv'e got to say, everything just looks so fake, couldn't get into it at all.

My girlfriends a bit of a history nut so she watched every episode but even she said GoT just feels more real despite being a piece of fictional fantasy (and she's not even a GoT fan, she's only seen snippets of it).

I feel the series improved dramatically after a shaky first few episodes. Once you adjusted your expectations accordingly it was certainly watchable. Ultimately the show was far too ambitious for its budget, they tried to fit far too much into each episode which gave the show a fast pace but meant little was developed with sub-plots created and resolved sometimes within minutes. It lead to some ridiculous scenarios [most predominantly that in which Warwick plotted against and failed to kill Edward twice in a single episode].

she said GoT just feels more real despite being a piece of fictional fantasy

I think that's more of a budget issue than anything, they clearly spent much on the locations, but couldn't compete with the detail and scale of Game of Thrones.

Showaddy

I think that's more of a budget issue than anything, they clearly spent much on the locations, but couldn't compete with the detail and scale of Game of Thrones.

I think it was the interiors that bugged me the most. Everything was so bright, clean and bland; it's the little details that bring the world to life and make it believable.

hythloday

I think it was the interiors that bugged me the most. Everything was so bright, clean and bland; it's the little details that bring the world to life and make it believable.

I have the same complaint with this show. Too many scenes look so bright and shiny so far. Comparing the show to The Tudors on Showtime, which was probably equally inaccurate as far as interior decor, The Tudors still looked "real" enough. The wood floors looked grubby sometimes and the castles looked damp and drafty in places. Minor stuff like that. Higher production quality, I guess, along with better set design.

The show made me pick up the book again, which I'd never finished. It's watchable, and good enough that I'll keep watching it, but overall I'd rate it "alright."

TheOddOne

Out of nowhere.

- Deadline: ‘The White Queen’ Sequel ‘The White Princess’ Greenlighted By Starz.
The long-gestating The White Queen sequel is finally a go. Starz has greenlighted The White Princess, the follow-up to its critically-acclaimed original miniseries The White Queen, from Company Pictures. Adapted from Philippa Gregory’s best-selling novel of the same name and part of The Cousins’ War book series, The White Princess tells the story of England’s War of the Roses from the perspective of the women. The 8-episode limited series drama is currently in pre-production.

TheOddOne

I still intend to watch it after it's done airing on Starz.

I still need to get around to watching this, lol.

(I still need to watch The White Queen)
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom