• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 Releases in 2024

Killer8

Here I come, ready to make your day a bit worse. Don't shoot the messenger!

Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 was revealed yesterday, and is set to be a considerably larger and more comprehensive representation of medieval life. As part of this, it's set to address one of the more controversial elements of the first game, its lack of diversity.

In an interview with IGN, Warhorse was asked directly about its philosophy on historical accuracy in the first game, and whether that philosophy had changed in the second. To this Warhorse responded "Henry is embarking on a journey from the countryside and local quarrels to a relatively cosmopolitan city that is besieged and occupied by the invading king. Naturally, in a place like this, people can expect a wide range of ethnicities and different characters that Henry will meet on his journey."

It will be more diverse, yes - because a cosmopolitan city is always going to be a melting pot of different cultures and backgrounds. IGN however is in for a rude awakening if they think the 'diversity' Warhorse is talking about just means 'more brown people'. Diversity also means the difference between, say, a Pict, a Briton, and a Bohemian, as well the difference between a Jew, a Protestant and a Catholic. Yet all would just be considered as generically 'white' to the leftist cum guzzlers at IGN.

There are 371 ethnic groups in Nigeria, for example, speaking over 500 languages. It could be considered an extremely diverse country, even if everyone looks black to a casual observer. But to the modern leftist, 'diversity' just means seeing a salad bowl of different levels of melanin content on the screen. It's extremely retarded and literally skin deep shite.

Anyway, one glance at Daniel Vávra's Twitter feed puts me at ease that there is nothing to worry about. Warhorse have historical accuracy and rigorous scholarship on their side (even having their work used by the University of Prague, one of the oldest in the world). They aren't going to throw it all away for shit swilling American identity politics.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Best version of 1 PC?

I tried a hour and couldn’t get into it. Not sure if it’s me or the game.

Denton

Best version of 1 PC?

I tried a hour and couldn’t get into it. Not sure if it’s me or the game.
Yes, PC version is the best one, if you have good PC. Loadings take around 5 seconds, you get 60fps and much better graphics, plus possibility of mods.
In one hour you were still in tutorial prologue. Personally I enjoyed it from the moment the intro started playing, but if I were you I would still give it some more time. It opens up when you wake up in Rattay mill, then you get the open world freedom and game starts for real. However, as a peasant, your skills are very low so some combat training with Cpt. Bernard is recommended.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Currently doing a replay on PS5 (game is awesome) and technically it’s better that I expected. The game is perfectly playable imho
60fps is always better but honestly, I'd say a game as slow paced as KC: D can be enjoyed at 30fps no problem.

Last edited:

ryu4

Neo Member
So is CDPR, and they've been totally captured. Anything can happen.

Vavra might be forced to bend the knee by his publisher.
CDPR got too big to not turn woke. Warhorse, for better or worse, will never get that big so they'll be fine

Denton Denton
Man, i loved my Panny Plasma - Zero problems, good blacks, no vignetting, DSE, clouding etc, just some minor burn-in after thousands of hours and 10 years of use ;)

Anyway, back to the point : OLED Tvs, due to their (near) instant response time, have this judder with low framerate content, some people notice it, others don't, for me though it's so bad that it has made impossible playing/re-playing games that run at 30fps.
I always preferred 60fps since i was a kiddo but, due to me being a console player mostly i had to adjust to 30fps (and there are LOTS of those on consoles) along the years.
Truth be told, i never had a problem with games that had a good 30fps (i.e those with no frame pacing/frame stepping/stutter etc) when using LCD/LED/Plasma TVs, as soon as i got my LG OLED though...every 30fps game feels like judder city and i just can't.

There are games that fare better than others but, 30fps on OLED, generally speaking is a no-no.

Get this, games that have a 40Hz mode are the ones that feel like "proper" 30fps on OLED, basically, it doesn't feel like you're gaining 10fps but instead, it removes that weird judder making them feel smoother - like 30fps smooth on LCD/LED Tvs, it sounds weird, i know but it is what it is.

TLDNR : 30fps on OLED is bad due to judder and the 40Hz mode in games is the "true 30fps feeling one" when on OLED.

Cheers

Last edited:

Denton

Man, i loved my Panny Plasma - Zero problems, good blacks, no vignetting, DSE, clouding etc, just some minor burn-in after thousands of hours and 10 years of use
That is what I am using - 55ST50 from 2013, no burn-in yet. i just had to replace the remote last year, some buttons were messed up. Together with DLDSR I do not feel any need to upgrade.

And that is interesting about OLED, I had no idea. Since I play on PC I get 60fps everywhere anyway so it wouldn't be a huge deal for me, but still...interesting.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm very LTTP on this one but have put in almost 8 hours into the game this week. I'm liking it a lot. Yes, combat is janky but there is a richness to the game that is hard to deny. I hate the weight limit and the combat needs work but the strength of the game and world is enough for me to be very interested. I was gonna start Sand Land but I think I'll let the kids have that for now and see if I can beat this game. Making me much more interested in the sequel for sure.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'm very LTTP on this one but have put in almost 8 hours into the game this week. I'm liking it a lot. Yes, combat is janky but there is a richness to the game that is hard to deny. I hate the weight limit and the combat needs work but the strength of the game and world is enough for me to be very interested. I was gonna start Sand Land but I think I'll let the kids have that for now and see if I can beat this game. Making me much more interested in the sequel for sure.
Protip: if you aren’t already, use bludgeoning weapons. They are way better than swords IMO, especially against armored opponents. Knocking enemies out is quite satisfying.

LiquidMetal14

Protip: if you aren’t already, use bludgeoning weapons. They are way better than swords IMO, especially against armored opponents. Knocking enemies out is quite satisfying.
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try it out.

I'm actually almost 13 hours in. Didn't expect the game to grab me the way it did. Stretches that Braveheart itch.

I've been doing very well with a longsword and just learned how to read Uzhitz so you can tell where I'm at in the story. There's a to do as well. I'll have to stick to the main story for now.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try it out.

I'm actually almost 13 hours in. Didn't expect the game to grab me the way it did. Stretches that Braveheart itch.

I've been doing very well with a longsword and just learned how to read Uzhitz so you can tell where I'm at in the story. There's a to do as well. I'll have to stick to the main story for now.
If you don't have a horse yet it might be worth looking into, with saddlebags can carry a lot and helped greatly with my weight / packrat problem.

LiquidMetal14

If you don't have a horse yet it might be worth looking into, with saddlebags can carry a lot and helped greatly with my weight / packrat problem.
Yep, got a horse earlier as part of mission. Leveling up that one trait of skill to lower equipped armor as well as increasing weight helped. It still needs to be a out double what it is.

Horse storage definitely helps.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I guess only a 40fps option for this game on consoles would be “fine” provided it was running at decent graphical presets.

Gp1

I love the axe in this game.

Cut, stab and reach like a sword. (Ok, not that much on the reach part)

Wreck armor like a club.

KCD is one of those games that you have to use every ace on your sleeve.
One tip is use and abuse stealth assassination. Clear 2-3 bandit/cuman camps at night early on and you will have one hell of a "starting" equipment set.

Denton

Lovely looking main menu on one of the best monitors money can buy.
The current beta runs at native 4K on very high at around 60fps on 7800X3D and 4080. They still have rest of the year to optimize though.

KCD2.jpg

Burger

The current beta runs at native 4K on very high at around 60fps on 7800X3D and 4080. They still have rest of the year to optimize though.

We have that monitor at my work. We also have monitors that add a zero on the end of what that costs.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

KCD2.jpg
What makes that monitor so good? Just looks like a normal monitor.

LiquidMetal14

KCD2.jpg
Is there sign ups for that?

Denton

There's a beta?
Internal one, the information and photo was posted by Dan Vávra in his "I showcase my new home office and PC build" video.
We have that monitor at my work. We also have monitors that add a zero on the end of what that costs.
This is the monitor:

You have monitor at work that costs $32,000 ? Damn.
What makes that monitor so good? Just looks like a normal monitor.

It is for professional graphics use and contains integrated hardware color calibration tool.
Is there sign ups for that?
No, it is internal one. I doubt there will be any kind of public beta or early access.

Last edited:

Burger

You have monitor at work that costs $32,000 ? Damn.

Sony BVM X300 and X310. First one is oled, 2nd is some sort of dual layer LCD I think. Almost imperceptibly different. They cost a lot of dough but are incredibly accurate.

Denton

Sony BVM X300 and X310. First one is oled, 2nd is some sort of dual layer LCD I think. Almost imperceptibly different. They cost a lot of dough but are incredibly accurate.
I'd really like to see it in real life. For that money it better look better than life!

Burger

I'd really like to see it in real life. For that money it better look better than life!
It's not very exciting, just a large, heavy monitor. If you were in a dark room you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Asus proart and the x300.

But, the x300 is near perfect sustained colour accuracy. Uniformity is about 100%. Much higher peak luminance. It's 4K (4096x2160) not UHD. It has SDI video inputs. It takes 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and more video modes. Interlaced video signals. P3, XYZ, HLG, Rec709 and more.

If you are watching a high end feature (at home not in theatres) or TV show - it was finished on one of these screens. It's a 'reference' display.

Denton

Full interview with Warhorse CEO translated (by google and myself)

The presentation of Kingdom Come 2 was carried out in style, while the first game was presented less spectacularly. How do you feel about the transformation of Warhorse into the creator of the highly anticipated game?
Of course, being in the outsider position was nice. And this despite the fact that we sometimes had to face negative reactions from potential publishers who did not believe in such a project at the time. Now, on the contrary, we might slowly fear that we are burdened with very high expectations. Anyway, Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 is not a revolution, but an evolution. We took each stone and turned it over five times to see if something could be improved.
Do you see this change from an outside perspective as well, do you have feedback from your competitors in the gaming industry?
We also received a few congratulations from our competitors. That is surely pleasant. But again, let's not lie to ourselves that it's over. It isn't. We've shot a nice commercial so far. Patting ourselves on the back about how awesome we are is premature.
Six years have passed since the release of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. How has the Warhorse studio changed in that time?
We are trying to stick tooth and nail to "punk" with a totally flat structure, where there is a maximum of one person between the top management and anyone in the company. And even so, anyone can come to me or Martin Klíma (executive producer of Warhorse Studios, editor's note) to our office or write on Teams, which many people do. And sometimes with such incredible ease and immediacy they enter our office in the middle of a conversation. But it's still better than having some imaginary consultation hours.
But then again, it's not a complete all encompassing punk either, we have a number of standardized processes and, unlike when working on KCD1, quite a large department of producers. We have a quantitative and qualitative process in place for how an idea goes from birth to fruition, if it does at all, and then to alpha and beta. And so on. So, I say "punk", but I also mean a little corporate. With 250 people there, there just have to be rules.
How difficult was it to keep the development of KCD2 under wraps over the years?
Rather than being difficult, it was frustrating at times. It made it quite difficult for us to recruit people, because we couldn't simply say, "Come and work on KCD2 with us!" Instead, we demanded confidentiality during interviews. We made it a little more complicated for ourselves. But it made business sense for us to announce the game only at the moment when it is practically finished and entering certification.
You published the first game so to speak on your own, the second is being created under the game publisher Plaion from the Embracer group. What did it mean for the development of the game and the functioning of the company, did something have to change?
Fortunately, it didn't have to. The Warhorse acquisition took place at a time when Kingdom Come 2 was already decided upon and we had a clear concept. That Kingdom Come can continue and that it is actually a saga was already clear during our crowdfunding campaign in 2014. But at the same time, we always said that we would make KCD1 and then we would see. Without the success of the first game, there would be no KCD2. To put it simply, part of the deal was to become closed off hermits for a few years and work on KCD2. Transferable procedures and experiences between studies are actually quite rare in the group, and what distinguishes good games from mediocre ones is that they offer a great experience that you can't get anywhere else. And we have to program such an experience ourselves.
The just-mentioned parent group Embracer has been announcing significant changes and restructuring in recent days, and in recent months it has been going through quite a stormy development. Did that not affect you?
I dare say that we are a bit of a pearl in Embracer's portfolio of titles. It would make no sense to throttle the development of a product that is potentially materially important to the group.
For the first game, a development budget of around 400 million crowns was mentioned, plus some marketing costs. How much has Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2's budget increased?
I understand questions about the amount of investment rather as spreading an awareness that games are in the first league of the entertainment industry. In Czech business environment, there probably isn't a project – for example a film project – that would cost as much. On a global scale, I can imagine that for the price of Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2, a mid-budget Hollywood movie or even an entire Netflix series could be made. I understand that you are asking for a specific number, but I will stick with the fact that it is in high hundreds of millions of crowns.
Can you at least approximate the rate of budget increase?
The increase is significant, but beware, the world has changed a lot since 2018. A completely unexpected wave of inflation and other events swept past us, which in turn had an effect on the pace of work, i.e. a slowdown, resulting in an increase in costs. Today, you can't even build a family home for the same money as six years ago. It is what it is.
Kingdom Come 2 is supposed to be twice the size of the game, in addition to the budget, the studio has also grown. How much?
We will spend approximately ten thousand man-months on KCD2. About 130 people worked on KCD1 at its peak, while on KCD2 we currently have 250 people and I wouldn't be surprised if we grew a little more. And that's not counting the completely different level of outsourcing and testing costs. After all, at KCD1 we were criticized around release - quite rightly - that the game was full of bugs, so we're doing a lot of testing now.
How much of the original team remained in Warhorse? Did you manage to retain a high percentage of KCD1 developers?
Yes, we did. So it is not so much in terms of percentage, because we have grown significantly. Even if no one left the team after KCD1's creation, there would be around fifty percent of the people here from the first game. The reality is that there are about a third of those. Almost all the seniors of the KCD1 remained in Warhorse.**Now a question about the opposite development - what need for reinforcements did the creation of Kingdom Come 2 bring?**
In general, we were quite far off in the predictions of the number of people. We planned to have a maximum of 160 people, which is what we sized our offices for, after all. And we have almost a hundred more.
Where did you strengthen the team the most?
The increases went across all departments, but probably the most we underestimated at the beginning of work on the sequel was the size of the team of animators and graphic artists. But if you let the designers write hours and hours of cutscenes and let them imagine making an almost perfect digital replica of Kutná Hora, then you can't be surprised at such increases.
And what was the most challenging part of development?
Tell yourself enough is enough and stopping of adding more new stuff to the game all the time.
The first game set the bar at six million copies sold. What is the measure of success for KCD2?
Of course we have big aspirations. I've been at Warhorse Studios for eleven years and now "only" our second game is coming out. Everyone here leaves a piece of their life here, maybe a decade or more. How many such creative projects can one manage in a lifetime? What I mean by this is that for most people in Warhorse, the main measure of satisfaction is good player feedback. And of course, if the game is good, it will sell well. And that's great too.
The release of the game is planned for the end of the year. Are there any talks going on now about the future direction of Warhorse Studios?
It is clear that we are not going to break up at the end of this year. We'll be busy fixing bugs for a while, because the best testing in the world is nothing against hundreds of thousands of players, so there will definitely be some patches. Of course, we are full of ideas for new projects. I can reveal that we are actually a little further than the idea and we are already slowly starting the future project.

Top Bottom