• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance | Pick weeds, m'lord.

I'm not very far into the game (currently investigating a limping brigand in a city called Ooo-shits). It's very slice-of-life simulation-y, the best kind that encourages the player to ignore the fixed path while still reacting to their choices. Combat uses the best first-person melee system I've seen in a long while. You suck so bad at the beginning but I can feel my skills growing with Henry's. Nearly 20 hours in and a chunk of that time was spent picking up flowers and training combat skills. I'm sure I could've chosen to hunt game, or pickpocket, or break into houses, or gamble, or learn to read, or alchemy, or bar-brawling, or clobbering bandits, or any number of other options to make early-game coin. KCD doesn't force you into anything.

It does brutalize you, though. I got cocky and asked the Captain to train me with real weapons, so he beat me an inch away from death and shredded my gear's durability. It took a full in-game day to rest, heal, and repair the consequences of a 60-second sparring session. That said, the game isn't very "hard", just realistic. Usually my punishment for a mistake is nothing worse than someone yelling at me for being ignorant.

Overall it's pretty chill. The dog is the only sore spot so far because he gets in the way of combat and flower-picking. Annoying pup.

The sound design is exceptional, both the sound fx and the music. One of my favorite quests so far had me fetch some birds by listening to their distinctive call. Doesn't seem remarkable, but It showed how all the subtle elements of the game combine: walking through the sunlit woods with birds chirping and wind blowing, keeping my ear open, watching for wildlife and bandits. There was no quest indicators save for a very large "zone" outlined in yellow.

Seems like there are a ton of skills to unlock, too. I've barely scratched the surface and I'm already wondering how things could've gone differently in previous quests. The fast-travel system reminds me of Fallout, which is nice.

Is there an overall time-limit or calendar that I must abide by, or can I keep spending my days picking flowers and spending the profits on bathwenches better gear?

Henry's come to see us!

On my first playthrough I just explored the world and kept improving my Henry until I decided to take on the first big battle.

Some quests are time-limited, though.

Are you playing on PC? If you are, I hope the game is istalled on an NVME SSD. It helps a lot in minimizing pop up when galloping.

Henry's come to see us!

On my first playthrough I just explored the world and kept improving my Henry until I decided to take on the first big battle.

Some quests are time-limited, though.

Are you playing on PC? If you are, I hope the game is istalled on an NVME SSD. It helps a lot in minimizing pop up when galloping.
Nope, PS4 Pro, and I do notice some pop-in but nothing too bad. Most of the pop in seems to be in town (a few finer details appearing or items materializing at a trader's table).

I figured that certain quests would be time-constrained to certain parts of the day but so far I haven't run into any time-constrained quests (at least not any that I noticed). Thanks for the info.

Any advice regarding the doggo? The Houndsman skillset is by far one of the most useful-sounding but keeping Mutt on 'Heel' makes him annoying.

Fbh

Playing this right now too and I'm loving it.
For some reason I had the wrong idea about what this game was like. I thought it would be one of those games that focus on "simulation" and "realism" at the expense of fun but that's absolutely not the case even though it is a bit more grounded than the usual RPG.
Also thought it would be one of those games where it's more about "making your own fun" and while you can certainly play for hours without touching the main story, I've been surprised by how good the plot, writing and characters have been so far (the sidequests are also great). It strikes a nice balance between me wanting to explore and do side stuff but also push forward the main quest.

Nice progression too. I'm only like 20 hours in but tavern owners have already gone from "the fuck do you want" to "welcome sir knight!!"

I bought the game and was loving it until I unknowingly launched a terrible DLC storyline that ended up lasting like 5 hours. The DLC broke me, I uninstalled the game from my PS4 and I don't plan on going back to it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, PS4 Pro, and I do notice some pop-in but nothing too bad. Most of the pop in seems to be in town (a few finer details appearing or items materializing at a trader's table).

I figured that certain quests would be time-constrained to certain parts of the day but so far I haven't run into any time-constrained quests (at least not any that I noticed). Thanks for the info.

Any advice regarding the doggo? The Houndsman skillset is by far one of the most useful-sounding but keeping Mutt on 'Heel' makes him annoying.

The dog is very useful if you’re dealing with multiple enemies, both distracting them so you can sneak attack them and doing damage in his own right. Plus who couldn’t adore the lovely dog?

Stuart360

Its a decent game but i always get bored of it after a few hours. Its like Skyrim but without all the fantastical elemants, and the fun.
The lockpicking is still beyond a joke, and i dont know about on consoles but they nerfed the graphics on PC. Long distance graphics i mean, it looks way worse now than it did at launch on PC.

The dog is very useful if you’re dealing with multiple enemies, both distracting them so you can sneak attack them and doing damage in his own right. Plus who couldn’t adore the lovely dog?
Well I haven't leveled up my Houndsman skill enough to earn the right skills, so the dog tends to obliviously walk around our legs when a bandit and I are engaged in melee. I've hit the pupper with a downward swing on more than one occasion. His yelp feels bad enough, but his Obedience stat takes a major hit as well.

I think I'll tell him to sit and wait like jackets with pockets jackets with pockets mentioned or put him on "Free" command so that he doesn't stick too close to me. He barks at animals and makes an excellent hunting companion so I need to figure out how to make it work.

Last edited:
It's on my list of must-plays from my backlog.

It's going to suck dying one day, breathing my last breath and thinking about all those great unplayed games that I couldn't fit into a finite lifetime. Stupid mortality. :p

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well I haven't leveled up my Houndsman skill enough to earn the right skills, so the dog tends to obliviously walk around our legs when a bandit and I are engaged in melee. I've hit the pupper with a downward swing on more than one occasion. His yelp feels bad enough, but his Obedience stat takes a major hit as well.

I think I'll tell him to sit and wait like jackets with pockets jackets with pockets mentioned or put him on "Free" command so that he doesn't stick too close to me. He barks at animals and makes an excellent hunting companion so I need to figure out how to make it work.

Obedience is easily fixed - just give him some attention and some steak.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Its a decent game but i always get bored of it after a few hours. Its like Skyrim but without all the fantastical elemants, and the fun.
The lockpicking is still beyond a joke, and i dont know about on consoles but they nerfed the graphics on PC. Long distance graphics i mean, it looks way worse now than it did at launch on PC.

I ended putting a lot of hours into this game, but came close to quitting early on because I initially sucked so bad at lock picking and I was playing on the X. Supposedly it's even harder on PC.

Obedience is easily fixed - just give him some attention and some steak.
Oh I know, but after a particular battle his Obedience went from 99 down to 28 because of the stray hits. It's easy to get the obedience back up but it's a pain for all that work to vanish after one battle.

Top Bottom