• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
Three characters that are heavily invested in each other and fight together? What makes it anything but a trio

I just don't see the connection or bond in this trio that is typical of past actual trios. I am not even sure if these characters have even been on screen together yet. And if not then when have they fought together?

Kinsei

Banned
You need to believe in the Heart of the Cards, Yugi.

Better KH2 data battles then what BBS did with optional bosses. LS and MF was some straight bullshit.

All the humanoid bosses in BbS are bullshit. I really hope they go back to the design of the KH2 bosses, they are amazing.

Malyse

I just don't see the connection or bond in this trio that is typical of past actual trios. I am not even sure if these characters have even been on screen together yet. And if not then when have they fought together?

You literally fight with Skuld when you meet her and Ephemera shortly after you meet him. He's talking to the two of you in your dreams and the only time you've ever spoken in the game was to Skuld. You fought a foreteller for the sake of Ephemera, a fight the you had no chance of winning (she hit do hard that my reflect shattered FFS). The current plot of the game is you and Skuld trying to find Ephemera before the end of the world. They are absolutely a trio.

And Skuld is from Ephemera's party.

Ydelnae

I wonder if we're really going to get both Unchained and 2.8 this year. While I think DDD HD has been ready for a while and that the game is being on hold until the team finishes Back Cover and BBS0.2, usually by this time in the year we already know if a KH is releasing in Fall. But if we don't get 2.8 this year, then what does that mean for KH3? Will they launch both 2.8 and KH3 in 2017?

As for Unchained, it's weird how it was announced to be released in here and then they stopped talking about it. Maybe they're waiting until the main scenario is complete so they release it in full in here, or maybe they decided to wait until 2.8/3's release is closer so the hype doesn't die down. Who knows.

DKHF

I wonder if we're really going to get both Unchained and 2.8 this year. While I think DDD HD has been ready for a while and that the game is being on hold until the team finishes Back Cover and BBS0.2, usually by this time in the year we already know if a KH is releasing in Fall. But if we don't get 2.8 this year, then what does that mean for KH3? Will they launch both 2.8 and KH3 in 2017?

As for Unchained, it's weird how it was announced to be released in here and then they stopped talking about it. Maybe they're waiting until the main scenario is complete so they release it in full in here, or maybe they decided to wait until 2.8/3's release is closer so the hype doesn't die down. Who knows.
They didn't announce 2.5's release date until a week or two before E3, so I expect the same will happen with 2.8. Or at Square Enix's press conference if they have one this year. And I think they will be able to deliver 2.8 this year even if it's really late in the year like in December.

If 2.8 does come late in the year then they will probably space it out a bit from KH3. I'm guessing KH3 will come out around Q3 2017, maybe earlier.

Malyse

The story is just a bit behind [chi] now. Skuld told us that Ephemera said the world was ending, the Foretellers are starting to fight, and basically everything is coming to a head. I'd like to think the scenario will be complete within a year, but I know that we still have to introduce the Enchanted Dominion (since we already have seen the Fairy Stars in the data files) and I'm pretty sure that they want to introduce the Castle of Dreams to get in the final Princess (aside from Kairi). And there's also the fact that we need to finish Olympus Colosseum, Argrabah, and Wonderland.

Aside from that, I adore Skuld's fighting style. She uses the keyblade like a rapier and she has this magic attack that has her bounce of mirrors in this blur of destruction. She's the best. I hope she survives the Keyblade War and shows up in KH3.

zeemumu

YESSS

Can't wait to hear what she created for KH3

are-you-excited-to-play-kingdom-hearts-3-459864.gif

The story is just a bit behind [chi] now. Skuld told us that Ephemera said the world was ending, the Foretellers are starting to fight, and basically everything is coming to a head. I'd like to think the scenario will be complete within a year, but I know that we still have to introduce the Enchanted Dominion (since we already have seen the Fairy Stars in the data files) and I'm pretty sure that they want to introduce the Castle of Dreams to get in the final Princess (aside from Kairi). And there's also the fact that we need to finish Olympus Colosseum, Argrabah, and Wonderland.

Aside from that, I adore Skuld's fighting style. She uses the keyblade like a rapier and she has this magic attack that has her bounce of mirrors in this blur of destruction. She's the best. I hope she survives the Keyblade War and shows up in KH3.

I'm trying really hard to follow Chi because the last time I went from main title to main title without doing any of the in-between stuff was KH1 to KH2, so I was completely lost during the CoM parts of the intro and why Sora was in a pod until I played CoM on my GBA sometime later. Although, with this game apparently not having an NA release so far, it's probably best that they omit Chi from the intro.

Malyse

I'm certain that they are waiting for the story to finish just like they did with Re:coded.

Apropos of nothing:

Kingdom Hearts χ is set before the legendary Keyblade War, when disputes between Keyblade wielders over the Light that created the world sparked a war between Light and Darkness, triggering a calamity that created the present-day layout of the Kingdom Hearts world. Prior to the war, an unnamed Keyblade Master bestowed a book called the Tome of Prophecy to five of his six apprentices before disappearing. The Tome has the ability to predict and even manifest objects and people from the future. The five apprentices learned to a prophecy foretelling the world falling to Darkness and the Light being destroyed. In order to prevent this, each of the apprentices decided to attempt to prevent the prophecy from coming true. As part of their efforts, they used the Tome to manifest powerful warriors from the future as the Fragments. Each eventually begins hoarding pieces of Light, called Lux, from the monsters known as Heartless, and each creates their own factions themed around their individual animal icon: Ursus, Anguis, Unicornus, Leopardus, and Vulpes. The player character, a newly awakened Keyblade Wielder, chooses to support one of the factions and works to ensure the chosen faction’s supremacy. The story will lead into the beginning of the Keyblade War.

So it's set in the past, but all the characters are from the present. Meaning, Skuld, [Player] and Ephemera could still show up in KH3. AND [Player] could be the KH3 multiplayer.

I'm certain that they are waiting for the story to finish just like they did with Re:coded.

Apropos of nothing:

So it's set in the past, but all the characters are from the present. Meaning, Skuld, [Player] and Ephemera could still show up in KH3. AND [Player] could be the KH3 multiplayer.

So the theory is that they are in a "sleeping" version of the past? That's why there's the mark of the dreameater in the cats?

Malyse

It bothers me that the Mickster isn't using the Kingdom Key D/Lightseeker. Other than that, pretty neat. Didn't think they would incorporate actual attacks from KH.

That's because everyone uses it.

Just like how the lightsaber could be used by anyone in 1.0

wvw69iz8i7ckgjphr9_by_japanfan89-d9e09lq.jpg

Mediking

So.... I gotta ask... Who here liked Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance and who here didn't like it? Please explain your answer.

I liked Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance overall. The beginning and ending of the game is the best but the middle...? Ehhhhh....

Yeah, there are some moves like Ballonara and Blizzaga (I think) that really help you and make you overpowered when you use them.

I just hate how Older Sora wasn't used as the player model. Go away, Younger Sora!!! You're cool but Older Sora's design is so much better!

The game was really picking up and actually had me shouting when this scene triggered...

tumblr_me5tj1cgvP1qbc2ylo1_500.gif

tumblr_me5tj1cgvP1qbc2ylo4_500.gif

zeemumu

So.... I gotta ask... Who here liked Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance and who here didn't like it? Please explain your answer.

I liked Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance overall. The beginning and ending of the game is the best but the middle...? Ehhhhh....

Yeah, there are some moves like Ballonara and Blizzaga (I think) that really help you and make you overpowered when you use them.

I just hate how Older Sora wasn't used as the player model. Go away, Younger Sora!!! You're cool but Older Sora's design is so much better!

The game was really picking up and actually had me shouting when this scene triggered...

I liked DDD. The flowmotion broke the platforming and the Drop system could be extremely annoying during boss battles, but I enjoyed having the BBS combat system and having two playable characters. I liked that they included detailed summaries for each game as they became relevant. And overall the weapon designs for this game were great. Also, the attention to detail during the Rinzler fight in the grid was fantastic. I do wish that the dream eaters didn't look so colorful and fluffy, at least not most of them.

Kh3d would be my favorite in the series if not for one thing..

Dream eaters are crap and I'd have rather went solo.

Otherwise everything about 3d was awesome to me the plot,flowmotion,the switching between riku and sora.

I thibk thats why im loving how kh3 looks so much because so far it looks like the love child of kh3d and Bbs.

Also..
latest

Chilikar

I absolutely loved Kingdom Hearts 3D. It took BBS's battle system and added an amazing degree of freedom to your movements. I always loved Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 for Sora's mobility, but this was a whole different level.

I'm excited that they brought in and expanded on flowmotion in KH3

aravuus

Didn't really like DDD much. Didn't like the command system so combat was boring, level design was TERRIBLE, drop system was stupid, hated everything about the dream eaters from them being your party members to your abilities being tied to them but, worst of all, I think this is the game where the plot finally shit the bed. I loooove KH2 so I'm definitely okay with a bunch of convoluted anime nonsense most of the time in my JRPGs, but DDD's ending just made me groan. Hope KH3 manages to turn it into something great, but as of now I'm really only looking forward to it because, well, it's fucking KH3, after a million years.

Famassu

I enjoyed DDD a lot. It was a bit rushed and thus didn't feel quite as polished as most other games in the franchise and was a bit lacking in extra content as well. The flow motion stuff did have the potential to ruin the platforming part, but I actually forced myself to play the game without relying too much on the flowmotion in traversal and it was actually quite enjoyable (though only on my second playthrough). I mostly used the huge flowmotion jump in combat and bounced around walls when possible, but otherwise I tried to never use it in traversal to get to places that could be traverse to with non-flowmotion movement options (unless I dropped down from a place I had reached more traditionally at first and it would've been annoying/too time-consuming to get back normally again).

The story is kind of meh, but I do like the idea of Xehanort manipulating time & people for an epic final confrontation in KHIII. How it was explained/the dialogue/monologue that went through Xehanorts plans was pretty horrible, but all in all I'm not against such epic final showdown on an idea level so I can kind of shrug off the quality of writing. It will make for a super epic finale. I mean, can you people even imagine how epic KHIII's last few hours will be if they are anything like KHI & KHII's except we are fighting multiple Xehanorts & people he's possessed? In PS4 quality. Nerdgasmxplosion

sasuke_91

I really like DDD. Gameplay is great, soundtrack is amazing and Dream Eaters reminded me of tamagotchis :p

The story got extremely convoluted (time travel fucks up almost every story), the free flow system is broken and the drop system kind of made me... nervous? I normally take my time to explore everything in a world, but in this game I always had to watch the time because I would have to switch characters soon. I liked the game a lot more when you were playing Riku alone.

I'm looking forward to II.8. This game will look gorgeous in HD.

Riku is playable in Chain of Memories, Days, Dream Drop Distance, and KH2. Gimme a Kairi or a Skuld game.
You know what i erased Com from my memories(heh ironic)

If kairi isn't the tutorial character and playable after later I'll change my avatar to a dream eater. Im positive.

I kinda liked Dream Drop Distance, but it was a let down in quite a few aspects for me. The story stuff's already been explained to death already, so I won't even touch that aspect. The game's progression system (in terms of building your character) doesn't feel anywhere near as robust as Birth by Sleep or Re: Coded). There's no real sense of growth (talking purely in the gameplay sense) throughout the game, aside from the Dream Eaters. Honestly, it feels like a lot of the stuff that made Birth by Sleep and Re:Coded's mechanics shine were removed at the expense of the Dream Eater system. Flowmotion's a neat concept I'm willing to see expanded, and I guess using KH3D as a test bed for how it works and doesn't work in a KH game proper was a better option than doing the same, but in KH3 instead. And there's a distinct lack of content in the game, as well.

There are some things the game does great, though: The world choices, even if they didn't completely live up to the hype (Hunchback) were great. The diving mini-games went a long way towards making the pacing of the journey similar to that of the numbered games. The Secret Portals are one of the best things the series has done in terms of side content, and it (or something similar) should remain a series standard, especially considering the boss fights in the series are usually the highlight of any given world.

If the game had managed to reconcile the Dream Eater management with all the little subsystems and mechanics found in Re:Coded and Birth by Sleep, it'd probably be my favorite KH game. But it is what it is.

Mediking

I hope Donald and Goofy stay out of the way. I know they've been there since day one but they have become an eyesore and a pain to deal with in combat.

I already know Kingdom Hearts 3 will have the inevitable super cheesy moments of Donald and Goofy saying, "Sora! We're your friends! You can count on us!". I know friendship is a HUGE theme in the series but please stop with the overly cheesy moments where I'm cringing.

I want more of this:

gmqmeirdla.gif

tumblr_mup7txlmI71ryxlvro6_500.gif

mzd7z.gif

And less of Donald and Goofy looking awkward in cutscenes:

KH3-Unchained-Int_06-16-15.jpg

I was hoping Kingdom Hearts 3 would replace Donald and Goofy with Kairi and Riku or maybe Sora, Kairi and Lea...

Malyse

Yen Sid said:
I have come to learn that you, too, can wield a Keyblade. I am glad you are here. Master Xehanort has returned to gather the 13 Darknesses and we must be ready to oppose him with the 7 lights. You, Kairi, are begin training to use the Keyblade with a true master to teach you the proper way. As such, King Mickey will watch over your training as you enter the Realm of Sleep.
In the vein of Birth by Sleep Final Mix, we get an addition onto Dream Drop Distance HD: Kairi mode where she finishes the test that Sora and Riku would have done without Xehanort's interference and awakens the last Sleeping World. I don't count Destiny Islands as an actual world.
Oh! As for which world that would be? Daybreak Town. And instead of interference coming from Master Xehanort, it comes from the leader of the sixth faction. You also get to meet Skuld and Epherema, as well as getting to take on the five Foretellers.

Demise

I'm replaying KH2FM through 2.5, gameplay and modelisation are top notch, but damn are the cinematics cringe worthy. It's nearly unbearable. I do not consider KH strictly for kids, as I was enjoying a lot as a 15 to 17 years old guy back in the time, but those cinematics are just dull looking even for children. The windwaker HD is made for children in mind, and the cinematics are way funnier and intersting. In KH2 camera is off, characters look at each others in weird ways, there are a lot of uneeded silences, a lack of movement. I can't really point a finger on it, but there's something really off about them. I hope KH3 offer better value in that particular department.

Psxphile

I'm replaying KH2FM through 2.5, gameplay and modelisation are top notch, but damn are the cinematics cringe worthy. It's nearly unbearable. I do not consider KH strictly for kids, as I was enjoying a lot as a 15 to 17 years old guy back in the time, but those cinematics are just dull looking even for children. The windwaker HD is made for children in mind, and the cinematics are way funnier and intersting. In KH2 camera is off, characters look at each others in weird ways, there are a lot of uneeded silences, a lack of movement. I can't really point a finger on it, but there's something really off about them. I hope KH3 offer better value in that particular department.

It's very Japanese-y, as a certain pop singer would say. I guess you could lay the blame on their cutscene director. Now if they had Yoh Yoshinari directing we might get something a little more dynamic...

DKHF

Do you guys think that if we get a KHIII trailer at E3 it will once again end with "Now in development"? Lol I wouldn't be surprised if we get it one last time but I think we might get "2017".

Famassu

I really would hope Jun Akiyama or someone of his caliber would return to Kingdom Hearts. His lack of participation in the Kingdom Hearts games' event planning & scenario writing past the first game is painfully noticeable. KH1 can even be said to have some fairly well written & directed cutscenes at times and apart from the slow start, the story's pacing is fairly good in comparison to most other KH games. It has some jank that came with the territory with being one of the first voiced games Squaresoft did & being a huge jump from PS1 era graphics, but all in all it was a fairly good story experience.

The only cutscene we've seen from KHIII shows improvement over KHII's lacking cutscene writing/direction, so I'm hopeful that with the move to much, MUCH more powerful hardware, SQEX is also stepping up their game as far as KHIII's cutscenes go. Just feels like they never felt the need to improve on how they did cutscenes in KH games up until now since they never really moved past PS2 KH games technically either. So they've just kept doing things like they've always done them. With KHIII, I hope they strive to achieve cinematic quality of Visual Works stuff or some Uncharted games (not writing-wise, I know that's impossible, but more in the line of cinematography & such)

Demise

I really would hope Jun Akiyama or someone of his caliber would return to Kingdom Hearts. His lack of participation in the Kingdom Hearts games' event planning & scenario writing past the first game is painfully noticeable. KH1 can even be said to have some fairly well written & directed cutscenes at times and apart from the slow start, the story's pacing is fairly good in comparison to most other KH games. It has some jank that came with the territory with being one of the first voiced games Squaresoft did & being a huge jump from PS1 era graphics, but all in all it was a fairly good story experience.

The only cutscene we've seen from KHIII shows improvement over KHII's lacking cutscene writing/direction, so I'm hopeful that with the move to much, MUCH more powerful hardware, SQEX is also stepping up their game as far as KHIII's cutscenes go. Just feels like they never felt the need to improve on how they did cutscenes in KH games up until now since they never really moved past PS2 KH games technically either. So they've just kept doing things like they've always done them. With KHIII, I hope they strive to achieve cinematic quality of Visual Works stuff or some Uncharted games (not writing-wise, I know that's impossible, but more in the line of cinematography & such)

Yep, you nailed it. Cutscene from KH2 and Birth By Sleep are really a pain to watch, it's either cringe worthy or really tame. They just feel bad or... empty ? Sometimes both. KH cutscene were not perfect by any means but like you said, it was their first attempt at something that huge.

In fact, I always thought that Kingdom Hearts 1 was almost a perfect experience if not for the camera being too close to the character, the level being a tad too small and KH2 looking much better. It's not just cutscene, it's also the fact that SQX washed out KH universe with next episodes. What makes the first episode that strong is the shroud of mystery that surround it. Almost nothing was explained and I kind of felt for that, it did give the game a powerful atmosphere. The next titles were too explicit for my taste, and from a lot of points I kind of regret the answers that they give, it's almost as - as a kingdom hearts fan for so long - I did hope that they never explained anything since everything they tried did build the convulted mindfuck plot we have now.

It's impossible that they're not trying to make cutscenes better. The game skipped a whole generation and the wait is really high for it. They had all the time in the world to make something good and so far, they always deliver regarding the KH franchise.

botty

Banned
The only good cut scenes after KH1 are the ones involving Roxas. This shouldn't come as much of as a surprise since the character has the most depth and compelling story in the entire series. It's a shame that Days didn't get the full game treatment cause it's definitely got the most material for educated thought and theory.

Malyse

The only good cut scenes after KH1 are the ones involving Roxas. This shouldn't come as much of as a surprise since the character has the most depth and compelling story in the entire series. It's a shame that Days didn't get the full game treatment cause it's definitely got the most material for educated thought and theory.
But is it better than Disney Infinity?

Andrefpvs

You know what i erased Com from my memories(heh ironic)

If kairi isn't the tutorial character and playable after later I'll change my avatar to a dream eater. Im positive.

Interesting that you say this. In my mind,the way I imagine Kingdom Hearts III starting has always been with Kairi as the tutorial character too

Top Bottom