• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

graywolf323

They disappear after a set amount of time. Are you sure you're not just taking too long with them? Or do you manage to get all three spells in? Because then they're supposed to do a little dance, throw out bubbles, sometimes Mystery Goo and the Fire/Blizzard/etc Arts only if you use the same spell all three times.

I thought I wasn’t, and this last one it fanned itself three times as I watched from a distance then I went up to it and cast blizzard three times after which it just disappeared :-/

NullKaze

I thought I wasn't, and this last one it fanned itself three times as I watched from a distance then I went up to it and cast blizzard three times after which it just disappeared :-/
Are you casting the magic while they're performing the action?

So while the mushroom is fanning, cast blizzard and you receive 1 tech point. Then wait to see what the next action is and cast the corresponding spell to receive another. After the third round, you get your reward.

graywolf323

Are you casting the magic while they're performing the action?

So while the mushroom is fanning, cast blizzard and you receive 1 tech point. Then wait to see what the next action is and cast the corresponding spell to receive another. After the third round, you get your reward.

ohhhhh >_<

Whhheeewwwww, almost done all the data battles! Just Xemnas left.

These data battles have been incredibly satisfying to beat :) well worth the buildup and grinding required to get to them. Doing it all on critical makes it even more of a challenge.

After Xemnas, I just have Lingering Will, Hades Paradox, and Gummi stuff until the platinum. Out of all my game achievements, I think this plat will be one of my favorites

Encountered a bug in BBS.

If you use Zantetsuken with Terra and get frozen in the middle of the attack you can't do a thing. Usually you should be able to press a prompt but since your animation is still mid attack you can't do anything.

Found it out when I was clearing Mirage Arena and got killed in the process.

I think it's a problem in the original too but what I am not sure if that can happen during other skills.

Just played through Kingdom Hearts 1 this weekend, and even though I think KH2 is way better. There's something about KH1 they haven't managed to recapture in any other KH game.

Just played through Kingdom Hearts 1 this weekend, and even though I think KH2 is way better. There's something about KH1 they haven't managed to recapture in any other KH game.

Such as good script, good dialogue, charm, actual level design and consistent voice acting. I agree!

It feels a lot more Disney than JRPG. Kingdom Hearts as a franchise has developed an identity for itself that now, you could have a Kingdom Hearts game without the Disney and without the FF, and it stands on its own.

Agreed. I've said the same thing and it surprised me that so many on GAF seem to really dislike KH1.

Obviously the later games have much better gameplay but nothing else has captured the "magic" of the first game.

It's the simplicity of the script. As much as I like KH as a whole, every game other than the first is pretty overly complicated and overly written. KH1 is straightforward and has much more relatable character motivations.

Agreed. I've said the same thing and it surprised me that so many on GAF seem to really dislike KH1.

Obviously the later games have much better gameplay but nothing else has captured the "magic" of the first game.

I go back and forth between that being because the later games are actually missing something (better script, Disney worlds actually affecting the main plot, etc) or it just being that that first game was the first one.

I prefer the way KH2 feels to play and I love the story in BBS, but it's still just something about picking up the first game.

Famassu

Such as good script, good dialogue, charm, actual level design and consistent voice acting. I agree!
KHII is the only one where they streamlined level design to the extreme and even that was only because they got so much shit about the maze-like level designs in KH1 that a lot of people thought were too confusing & hard to navigate (listening to overly vocal negative fan feedback doesn't always work!). They over-compensated in the sequel. Every game past that from Days to BBS, Re:Coded & DDD have given us at least slightly more interesting/varied/involving level designs where you actually need skills like glide & high jump.

KH1 had Jun Akiyama involved. Also known from games like Vagrant Story & FFXII, which also have that something that very few other Squaresoft & SQEX games have had.

It's the simplicity of the script. As much as I like KH as a whole, every game other than the first is pretty overly complicated and overly written. KH1 is straightforward and has much more relatable character motivations.
Plenty of characters past the first game have similarly simple & relatable motivations, though with crazier premises in some cases. Riku's storyline is probably the best thing about KH as a whole and that's mostly due to things that happen after KH1. Aqua's story is nicely tragic, as is Roxas's. There's a bit too much sea-salt ice cream talk in Days & the pacing is shit but the premise of spending time growing the bonds of Roxas, Axel & Xion and then utterly destroying them is good, even if magical controllable puppets & clones are involved.

It's not that the game got more complex that is the problem, it's the cutscene direction & writing otherwise took a nose dive in quality. Jun Akiyama's touch can really be seen in the first game and his absense felt in every game afterwards. In the game's he's involved in, there's just a better, more natural flow with cutscenes & dialogue.

Azuran

Banned
I had a very productive day in my Critical run today:

DDRJ2VJXoAAULjE.jpg

DDR7oCwXYAAAWbn.jpg

KH2FM is fucking amazing and I still have the Organization Data and Lingering Will battles left to do.

I'll just say it because there's no point in delaying the inevitable: best RPG ever made.

I had a very productive day in my Critical run today:

KH2FM is fucking amazing and I still have the Organization Data and Lingering Will battles left to do.

I'll just say it because there's no point in delaying the inevitable: best RPG ever made.

Around the same point as you, assuming you're going for the missions in the journal. Just got one data battle left.

The data battles are amazing, but very difficult until you figure out a strategy. You can't wing those fights

Azuran

Banned
Around the same point as you, assuming you're going for the missions in the journal. Just got one data battle left.

The data battles are amazing, but very difficult until you figure out a strategy. You can't wing those fights

Yeah I'm going down the mission list right now. I still need to do the dumb Magic Carpet minigame and repeat the songs in Atlantica and I'll be done with that for now.

I'm in no rush so I'll take my time with the data battles. I'm slowly completing KH2 while trying to get through other games.

I found marluxia the easiest of the bunch due to him not really doing any damage and instead lowering your hit count for most of his attacks. The double jump and glide abilities are incredibly useful for his fight. Any tips for axel? The flaming floor does damage even when I'm floating in midair. What the hell is up with that?

Yeah I'm going down the mission list right now. I still need to do the dumb Magic Carpet minigame and repeat the songs in Atlantica and I'll be done with that for now.

I'm in no rush so I'll take my time with the data battles. I'm slowly completing KH2 while trying to get through other games.

I've been blitzing through KH2, but it's enjoyable all the same :]

I found marluxia the easiest of the bunch due to him not really doing any damage and instead lowering your hit count for most of his attacks. The double jump and glide abilities are incredibly useful for his fight. Any tips for axel? The flaming floor does damage even when I'm floating in midair. What the hell is up with that?

Axel's flaming floor is a pain to deal with, but not impossible. You can wait until Axel disappears into the walls of flames (usually after a long combo from you) and then roll towards the center of the arena, where you'll be able to trigger the reaction command needed to clear the floor.

If you're like me, though, and can't get the timing down for the RC, you can sustain yourself through a combo of Curaga, Limit form, and an occasional hi potion. If you use Limit form, and with abilities that give you back MP, you can keep your HP and MP full by spamming the first of the form's limits, when Sora flies at the enemy over and over

Yeah - to a degree they're about beating the enemy on a purely tactical basis (i.e. reading their moves and knowing how to respond), but the RPG half of the ARPG formula totally holds true - the correct equipment/ability setup and broader strategy for the battle makes them VASTLY easier.

Yeah - to a degree they're about beating the enemy on a purely tactical basis (i.e. reading their moves and knowing how to respond), but the RPG half of the ARPG formula totally holds true - the correct equipment/ability setup and broader strategy for the battle makes them VASTLY easier.

True to that, too. Very high fire resistance is also a must for Axel that I didn't mention in my advice, but had in my run

True to that, too. Very high fire resistance is also a must for Axel that I didn't mention in my advice, but had in my run

Yep - high fire resistance *and* lots of MP Rage makes him substantially easier.

Thunder resistance also obviously makes an enormous difference with Larxene.

Blizzard resistance is less of a big deal with Vexen (but certainly still useful), since that fight's primarily about killing him (and every target, really) as fast as possible.

SheHateMe

I've had this since release and I'm weary of going through KH1FM AGAIN.

But you guys make me want to rush though it so I can get to KH2FM, which I have never played. (I know, I know.)

Krammy

With the release of Patch 1.04, have all the issues been fixed? I noticed this dropped significantly in price on Amazon, but I remember hearing that it had a ton of issues at launch.

I've had this since release and I'm weary of going through KH1FM AGAIN.

But you guys make me want to rush though it so I can get to KH2FM, which I have never played. (I know, I know.)

i started KH1FM on saturday and i couldnt put it down. Completely fucked up my schoolwork in the process. But it dug its claws into me....even after having to do the stupid beach part.

jrush64

Banned
I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. Arrrgh!!!

I'm pretty sure I've gotten all torn pages and finished all of them but the last section didn't open.

I havent been to Hollow Bastion yet though. Could that be it?

With the release of Patch 1.04, have all the issues been fixed? I noticed this dropped significantly in price on Amazon, but I remember hearing that it had a ton of issues at launch.
There's still a few bugs (some leftover from the original releases) but they're minor, especially compared to what was present before.

I haven't played the GBA version of CoM for so long, I'd really like to go back and compare it. I remember the first time I went through Re: thinking it was easier/harder in some parts. The last boss feels like a complete joke compared to the few before it.

I haven't played the GBA version of CoM for so long, I'd really like to go back and compare it. I remember the first time I went through Re: thinking it was easier/harder in some parts. The last boss feels like a complete joke compared to the few before it.

The PS2/HD port is definitely better overall, but the GBA has some really gorgeous sprite work and excellent cutscene blocking (which reminded me strongly of FFT - makes me wonder if Jun Akiyama worked on the original Chain of Memories).

And yeah, different things are easier and different things are harder. In the original game the Cloud summon vastly outclasses the rest of them, for example (so you end up using lots of Cloud cards instead of Lethal Frame et cetera). Dodging enemy attacks is generally trickier so it's more about staying out of their range entirely, and so on.

I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. I hate 100 Acre wood. Arrrgh!!!

I'm pretty sure I've gotten all torn pages and finished all of them but the last section didn't open.

I havent been to Hollow Bastion yet though. Could that be it?

Did you get the one from the dalmatians?

lol, sums it up pretty much. It's the only trio that come off as actual friends, the level design for all the others is kinda crap, and there's so much attention to detail and secrets. I particularly ADORE the library puzzle in Hollow Bastion, not to mention things like putting out the Coliseum torches w/ magic and the multiple wave fight in Wonderland's Rabbit Hole and how you get different rewards for before/after Hollow Bastion. Oh, and having each Disney world worked into the overall plot was fantastically done.

Meanwhile, I finished the plat for KH1 today, did a 100% Proud Run that I finished a few days ago and just finished my speedrun/no equipment change run on Beginner.

Yeah I did. I dont know what to do.

From a guide:
Agrabah: In the "Dark Chamber" area of the Cave of Wonders (the area with the save point) there is another area of land a few feet away from the save point with water dividing them. That area of land has a treasure chest on it containing a torn page.

Atlantica: This torn page is located in the Undersea Gorge (Ariel's hangout/room) in a chest on one of the shelves.

Halloween Town: Found by examining a bookshelf in the Research Lab. After completing Halloween Town there are characters that are standing in front of the bookshelf. Walk between the characters and move around slightly until you are able to examine the bookshelf.

Monstro: Found on top of a platform in Chamber 6. You first need to complete Neverland and learn the glide ability before you can access this torn page.

Traverse Town: After you've found 51 (out of 101) Dalmatians (See Bronze Top Dog), go to the Dalmatians house in Traverse Town and claim your reward there.

I know there was a glitch way back in 1.5 on PS3 where someone, despite having the pages in their inventory, couldn't do anything in 100 Acre Woods because it wouldn't activate any new areas but it seems like this shouldn't be the case for you since you managed to activate other areas?

Anyone got any tips to beat Lingering Will in a non-cheese style? I want to beat him fairly, but could use some help. This is in Critical, btw

Got Decisive Pumpkin on
Picking STR over MAG (76/70)
Loaded up Donald and Goofy up with ethers and mega stuff
Have all combo plus skills on for Dec Pumpkin

Generally, I do my best to avoid his attacks, but he often feels too far out of reach when he gives me an opening. His bow attack is BS, but I can make it through most of his other stuff. The one attack that gives me real grief is his Spirit Bomb attack :/

Iokis

Slowly making my way through this collection...

I've now finished Kingdom Hearts, Re:Chain of Memories (both characters) and decided to break release order and pl- erm, watch 358/2 Days before starting KH2, where I am now about 6 hours in.

I didn't mind doing it in this order as it gave the intro to KH2 more weight - plus I had more of an idea of what the hell was even going on. I feel kinda sorry for people who played KH2 at release (so no 358/2 Days) and really, really sorry for anyone who had only played KH before KH2 back in the day which, given CoM was originally a GBA game, was probably quite a lot of people.

I know the story gets a lot of shit but I've actually been enjoying it - while I appreciate criticisms like some characters being underdeveloped, and that each game post KH really could have used the services of an editor, I don't mind the whole Org XIII schtick so far and find the concept of Nobodies (and the consequences thereof - such as
Roxas having never really meant to exist, and certainly not as his own person
) actually quite interesting. I understand that the story is only going to go even further off the rails in the later games, but I feel ready for it. I do feel some regret that the Disney aspect is getting increasingly sidelined, but I don't mind what's there - and I feel accepting KH (the series) for what it is and not what it could have been doing is probably the best way to get on with it.

But man am I glad that Re:CoM is done though - I appreciate the battle system for what it was trying to do and even enjoyed some of the finer intriciacies and depth they system had, but I dislike the heavy RNG of Moogle Shops and potentially having to farm your way to a decent deck. I hit a brick wall around the 11th floor and ended up watching a speed run, copying the decks used (basically Firaga everything except Axel, who you Blizzaga instead) and cheesing the rest of the game. The second playthrough I enjoyed far more, where you're given a deck - with this burden lifted it was far easier to enjoy the mechanics of the game and it was fun to work out how to use each deck in the best way and which enemy cards compliment it or make up for its shortfalls.

Picked up this version after finally starting to play 1.5 this past weekend only to have my PS3 laser die. I beat KH1 way back when so decided to do KHFM on Proud Mode this time around.

I need to be more careful about not getting hit

Anyone got any tips to beat Lingering Will in a non-cheese style? I want to beat him fairly, but could use some help. This is in Critical, btw

Got Decisive Pumpkin on
Picking STR over MAG (76/70)
Loaded up Donald and Goofy up with ethers and mega stuff
Have all combo plus skills on for Dec Pumpkin

Generally, I do my best to avoid his attacks, but he often feels too far out of reach when he gives me an opening. His bow attack is BS, but I can make it through most of his other stuff. The one attack that gives me real grief is his Spirit Bomb attack :/

Breaking his armor is essential (and I might unequip some finishers to make sure that's the one you get early and often). But I'd also get yourself up to 86 strength with stat boosts (and maybe 85 defense - obviously the majority of his stuff will always take you down to 1 HP, but negating that effect from even a few of his attacks is a big deal).

The Comet + Berserk Charge strategy is obviously cheesy as hell, but I think there's absolutely no shame in using Comet for purely defensive purposes now and then (it may occasionally be preferable to using your MP on Curaga).

Get used to timing the invincibility/reflecting frames of Air Dodge, as it's occasionally a preferable option to block/dodge roll/reflectga.

Breaking his armor is essential (and I might unequip some finishers to make sure that's the one you get early and often). But I'd also get yourself up to 86 strength with stat boosts (and maybe 85 defense - obviously the majority of his stuff will always take you down to 1 HP, but negating that effect from even a few of his attacks is a big deal).

The Comet + Berserk Charge strategy is obviously cheesy as hell, but I think there's absolutely no shame in using Comet for purely defensive purposes now and then (it may occasionally be preferable to using your MP on Curaga).

Get used to timing the invincibility/reflecting frames of Air Dodge, as it's occasionally a preferable option to block/dodge roll/reflectga.

I was hoping you'd suggest something, crumble! Thanks :]

My defense is in the 80's, but yeah, ATK is a little lacking. I'll try out the Comet Berserk strat.

Is that with Decisive Pumpkin, or can I use Ultima?

Finally beat Data Org at Level 1. Xaldin and Final Xemnas gave me the most shit.

Can't imagine final Xemnas on LVL 1.

Tonight I beat Lingering Will finally! :D got 15000 on Hades Paradox in my first try after that, too, so now I only need to do the skateboarding and anti Sora trophies along with Gummi stuff and the KH2 plat is mine

The Organization as a whole carries with it some of the best and worst written parts of the series. When it is at its best it is a joy to watch unfold but some points can literally fly over your head if you don't pay attention.

In particular, story arcs like the
Room of Sleep/Awakening, Axel/Saix relationship, DiZ (more in KH2) or the mistery of Xemnas' individuality (tied into BBS)
offer some great moments of genuine intrigue. Others like
Xion and the entire plot twist of DDD
are incredibly frustrating to watch and make me want to club Nomura in the head.

I think you will also appreciate what BBS did to the lore of the Organization when you get to it. Without spoiling anything major, you will (for instance) understand why the Organization
names its members the way that it does
. I always felt it was a moment of some decently smart writing.

I started up KH1 after finishing so many other games and I forgot how annoying getting some of the materials can be. Back when I played 1.5 on PS3 I don't remember grinding much. The real issue will be KH2. I could not get the plat because Lingering Will thoroughly pushed my shit on critical. The Data bosses also teared me a new one. I believe I only defeated 3 of them. I think I'll concede and just put the game on easy this time around. I have to get the platinum for KH1 first!

Managed to beat all of the BBS superbosses as Aqua on Proud difficulty and get her to level 99 and so on (I see no reason to bother with Critical or complete the command collection or finish all of the minigames/unversed missions). Unsure if I want to repeat that process with Ventus and Terra, though. I think I'm probably cool being done with KH for the time being.

Managed to beat all of the BBS superbosses as Aqua on Proud difficulty and get her to level 99 and so on (I see no reason to bother with Critical or complete the command collection or finish all of the minigames/unversed missions). Unsure if I want to repeat that process with Ventus and Terra, though. I think I'm probably cool being done with KH for the time being.

Well, if you're hunting for Platinum, lvl99 isn't necessary for any trophy while journal completion is. Just pointing that out.

Well, if you're hunting for Platinum, lvl99 isn't necessary for any trophy while journal completion is. Just pointing that out.

Totally not looking for a Platinum. I only try to pursue goals that feel interesting and result in a well-kitted-out save that's fun to drop into and fuck around with. So, really just getting good stats/equipment/abilities and beating every superboss.

So this is my first time playing KH, and Deep Jungle might be the WORST designed area in any video game I've ever played. The platforming, especially vine swinging and jumping in that hippo area is beyond frustrating. Why does Sora jump like he's on a broken pogo stick? And there's no guidance, it's just blindly going to different areas hoping for a cutscene to appear. And wtf was with that Clayton fight? What even was that chameleon thing? Suddenly a wall disappears and Clayton starts flying around - am I supposed to believe that wall was an enemy the whole time?

My biggest complaint though is that so far the whole game just feels barren and lifeless (esp. Traverse Town, why are there no people anywhere?) and each "world" is maybe 5-6 small claustrophobic areas with terrible platforming. Feels like Epic Mickey in that way.

I really expected to like this game. I love Disney, I love Square of that era, and I love RPGs. But nothing I love about RPGs is here. The music is droning, 45-second loops. The combat is alright, pretty repetitive though. And don't get me started on the gummi ship. I can see why this game was well-received in 2002 but it has NOT aged well.

FinalAres

So this is my first time playing KH, and Deep Jungle might be the WORST designed area in any video game I've ever played. The platforming, especially vine swinging and jumping in that hippo area is beyond frustrating. Why does Sora jump like he's on a broken pogo stick? And there's no guidance, it's just blindly going to different areas hoping for a cutscene to appear. And wtf was with that Clayton fight? What even was that chameleon thing? Suddenly a wall disappears and Clayton starts flying around - am I supposed to believe that wall was an enemy the whole time?

My biggest complaint though is that so far the whole game just feels barren and lifeless (esp. Traverse Town, why are there no people anywhere?) and each "world" is maybe 5-6 small claustrophobic areas with terrible platforming. Feels like Epic Mickey in that way.

I really expected to like this game. I love Disney, I love Square of that era, and I love RPGs. But nothing I love about RPGs is here. The music is droning, 45-second loops. The combat is alright, pretty repetitive though. And don't get me started on the gummi ship. I can see why this game was well-received in 2002 but it has NOT aged well.
Honestly a lot of this is technical reasons.

Having heartless appear in field massively limits what you can do in terms if the size of the worlds. FFXs zones weren't massively bigger, and they didn't have to worry about field enemies.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but when we're talking about 'design' then the limits placed on the developer and the designs are important.

Honestly a lot of this is technical reasons.

Having heartless appear in field massively limits what you can do in terms if the size of the worlds. FFXs zones weren't massively bigger, and they didn't have to worry about field enemies.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but when we're talking about 'design' then the limits placed on the developer and the designs are important.

Thanks for clarifying, that does make sense. Was this game badly optimized for the hardware? Because I know of other games released around the same time that seem like they did more with less, but it could just be nostalgia talking.

I'm going to continue playing. I'm in Agrabah now and it's already much better than Tarzan world or Wonderland. Still very repetitive though and very little direction on what to do or where to go. I've heard it keeps getting better up until the end and the story seems interesting so far.

Vashetti

Banned
Thanks for clarifying, that does make sense. Was this game badly optimized for the hardware? Because I know of other games released around the same time that seem like they did more with less, but it could just be nostalgia talking.

I'm going to continue playing. I'm in Agrabah now and it's already much better than Tarzan world or Wonderland. Still very repetitive though and very little direction on what to do or where to go. I've heard it keeps getting better up until the end and the story seems interesting so far.

Badly optimized? No.

You see how beautiful the game is on your PS4? That's how we remember it looking on the PS2. A minority of the textures have been improved, but overall most of what you're seeing is the original artwork.

They were very ambitious games.

Top Bottom