• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Tirod

Nabbed the last Aqua avatar, thanks OP! :D

So excited to finally play Final Mix of KHII for the first time!

Birth by Sleep still best game until I cast judgment on FM.

Always wanted to play this series.

Do I miss anything by skipping KH1? If I do, is there an HD version? whats the best way to play it?

Do I miss anything by skipping KH1? If I do, is there an HD version? whats the best way to play it?
Pretty much you will be confused by the concept of Ansem and Heartless.
I suggest at least watching a cutscene video on YT before playing.

Tirod

The original Kingdom Hearts is a necessary playthrough.

You'd want to nab the HD 1.5 Remix on PS3 which should be fairly cheap to pick up nowadays/

Hiko

Banned
KH2FM. Man what an incredible game. That dodge roll.

The HD remaster seriously looks like a native ps3 game. Holds up so well.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The most efficant way to play all the games

KH1 FM (PS3)
KH Re:chain (PS3)
KH 2 FM (PS3)
KH 358/2 Days (DS, or watch the movie)
KH Birth by Sleep FM (PS3)
KH Re:coded (DS or watch the movie)
KH Dream Drop Distance (3DS... though the HD version is possible)

Meaning you can play the entire series on PS3 and 3DS

Has there been any word on whether or not you can use a DualShock 4 without any issues? I know it technically worked in KH1.5 but there were some weird problems with it like not being able to move diagonally or something like that.

Thanks for the awesome avatars OP! I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow... I'm conflicted though. I never played CoM on 1.5 (and I never finished it back in the day on GBA)... not sure if I should play that first or just dive into KH2. I plat'd KH1 and 358/2 on KH1.5.

Tirod

Thanks for the awesome avatars OP! I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow... I'm conflicted though. I never played CoM on 1.5 (and I never finished it back in the day on GBA)... not sure if I should play that first or just dive into KH2. I plat'd KH1 and 358/2 on KH1.5.

As much as I love CoM (it's my 2nd favorite in the series), just jump on the hype train for IIFM.

Excellent. If I wanted to play these in chronological order, how would I do that?

I wouldn't recommend chronological order but it would be BBS->KH1->(Days/CoM)->KH2->Coded->DDD

Days and CoM actually happen at the same time for some parts. Days starts few weeks (?) before the events of CoM and ends around a year after it.

SerTapTap

Has there been any word on whether or not you can use a DualShock 4 without any issues? I know it technically worked in KH1.5 but there were some weird problems with it like not being able to move diagonally or something like that.

Good question, I'll try that out in an hour if I remember. I only peeked at KH 1.5 (both are new to me) and I was using a DS3

Tirod

I may do this.. I played KH1FM and 385/2 and just started CoM. It isn't bad, it's just.. KH2.5 is a day away.

CoM is different. I've always had an affinity for card games;I love the aspect of building and managing different decks. CoM did it in such a way that I could have very different sleights, elemental affinities, and "perks" (I forgot what the Heartless/Character cards are classified as) which in turn affected how I would approach enemies/boss encounters, and even my moveset.

CoM also had a very enjoyable plot and was a great carryover into KH2.

But we're talking about KH II FM here! I'd definitely pass over a CoM replay if you've either finished it and nearly finished it before.

Eblo

tumblr_nfxd7uQRuO1qkqf9bo1_1280.jpg
Just got mine! The box wasn't as nearly as damaged as other people's were.

KH2 has the same issues with dialgonals and stick deadzones that KH1 HD had. Birth by Sleep works more or less issue free with a DS4, though.

Mecha

The most efficant way to play all the games

KH1 FM (PS3)
KH Re:chain (PS3)
KH 2 FM (PS3)
KH 358/2 Days (DS, or watch the movie)
KH Birth by Sleep FM (PS3)
KH Re:coded (DS or watch the movie)
KH Dream Drop Distance (3DS... though the HD version is possible)

Meaning you can play the entire series on PS3 and 3DS

I would also recommend watching a playthrough of CoM if you dislike the game.

SerTapTap

My box was just fine. I see the slightly-derpy antenna on the Heartless are normal though, I kinda figured they wouldn't stay in perfect order like the promo pics

Tirod

I really wanted to pull the trigger on this, but having 1.5 included deterred me from it. Gorgeous packaging though, hope you enjoy your copy!

TEJ

My collectors edition arrived but I need to finish darksiders 2 and the evil within first, and play some more smash in between.

SykoTech

Great |OT|, Frank. Lol @ that Dolan avatar. And the Aqua ones are really tempting, but I'll hold out. They're probably taken by now anyway.

This and Xrd will be my last purchases of the year. And they'll probably be my favorites unless my Wii U haul really impresses me during Christma.

Can't wait to finally play KHIIFM. Birth By Sleep is currently my favorite KH game, but I've always heard that KHIIFM is a huge leap over vanilla KHII and the best in the series.

I hope FYE can have it shipped here by the weekend.

Kinsei

Banned
I really wanted to pull the trigger on this, but having 1.5 included deterred me from it. Gorgeous packaging through, hope you enjoy your copy!

Same here. If they had a cheaper alternative that didn't include 1.5 I would have been all over the collectors edition.

Tirod

Same here. If they had a cheaper alternative that didn't include 1.5 I would have been all over the collectors edition.

I'm happy with the Disney pin included with the first print copies. It'll be a cute little KH related item I can wear into Disneyland or Downtown Disney with my Mickey sweatshirt!

I'm more jealous of the steelbook case with the Nomura artwork on it. :(

SerTapTap

I'm happy with the Disney pin included with the first print copies. It'll be a cute little KH related item I can wear into Disneyland or Downtown Disney with my Mickey sweatshirt!

I'm more jealous of the steelbook case with the Nomura artwork on it. :(

Case and Heartless are why I bought it. Love that it shows both games, even though 1 steelbook for the 2 games is a bit eh. Also I didn't get KH1.5 HD so bonus

Kain

At last!!!!

The only thing I still don't know is if I'll do 2 or BbS first... fuck it, 2 it is, BbS will taste better if left for last.

Man I remember when I was near Aqua's last stages, how powerful she felt. The first time you really felt like a keyblade master.

sappyday

Great OP. Unfortunately, I'm not gonna get the game tomorrow since I'm literally broke until my next paycheck. However, I can't wait. For me this collection is bigger since I love KH2 and BbS unlike the first one where I only went in for the first game.

Also I'm nabbing this avatar

a3Xedlg.png

Kinsei

Banned
I thought KH2 was better due to the insane combat? I've never played 2 so I can't have a say.

Opinions on the "best" KH vary wildly. Some prefer 1 FM, some 2 FM, I personally prefer BbS FM. I think Coded is the only one to have a general consensu (it sucks).

hank_tree

Famassu

I thought KH2 was better due to the insane combat? I've never played 2 so I can't have a say.
It depends. Kingdom Hearts 1 has a more coherent, better paced story & the worlds have plenty of platforming & aren't all that straightforward. That said, the platforming itself is pretty bleh due to the jumping being a bit cumbersome.

KHII, on the other hand, completely demolishes KH1 when it comes to combat & controls, but the worlds are more straightforward and the story is badly paced and not as coherent as 1's.

If you play KH because of the fun combat and don't mind some of the shortcomings on other areas of gameplay, then II is absolutely better, but if you want a bit more than that, then there's an argument to be made that 1 is better than 2.

I personally like II more, because the exploration & platforming aspects of KH1 aren't always all that well made and can be a bit annoying in some worlds. II just feels a ton more polished & plays better, even if there's a bit of a lack of exploration.

Kain

2 has indeed better combat... to an extent. It's a totally different game, faster and flashier, and that's not necessarily always a good thing.

People complained that it was way too easy in its day, and it was, but Proud and Critical are a great challenge. The optional dungeon in Proud is a nightmare, can't wait to try it in Critical.

He doesn't outright say that it isn't Utada's record company or whatever. She, personally, isn't to blame but she probably doesn't have much control over the rights of her music.

So it is EMI Japan then. They are also the ones that are on the Youtube plunder whenever one of those songs appear

2 has indeed better combat... to an extent. It's a totally different game, faster and flashier, and that's not necessarily always a good thing.

People complained that it was way too easy in its day, and it was, but Proud and Critical are a great challenge. The optional dungeon in Proud is a nightmare, can't wait to try it in Critical.

First time playthrough proud or critical?

Famassu

Opinions on the "best" KH vary wildly. Some prefer 1 FM, some 2 FM, I personally prefer BbS FM. I think Coded is the only one to have a general consensu (it sucks).
ReCoded is a pretty pointless release in many ways, but it doesn't suck. It's a fun action RPG, it just doesn't have much function from a story perspective + it recycles some of the worlds for the 6th or so time, which kind of bring the experience down. All in all, it's still probably one of the best Nintendo DS action RPGs from a gameplay perspective.

First time playthrough proud or critical?

Critical.

Top Bottom