• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingmakers - Official Announcement Trailer

GHG

I'm interested. Wish listed for now, hopefully the talk of a demo is legit, I want to see how it feels to play.

The biggest question I have is regards to depth.

I agree with the people here that want a full on story mode for a concept like this (and not just a voiceover in a trailer or general text before a mission).

I like the concept.

i prefer they don't do the time traveling element.
The concept of modern weapons in a large scale medieval battle may sound cool at first but it has problems gameplay wise. How do you replenish ammo? And most medieval battles are not melee brawl like in the trailer. They were mostly drawn out affairs with archers harassment and constant repositioning in formations. They don't sent in the infantry unless they have to because cavalry attacks from the flanks are a huge threat to infantry.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The concept of modern weapons in a large scale medieval battle may sound cool at first but it has problems gameplay wise. How do you replenish ammo? And most medieval battles are not melee brawl like in the trailer. They were mostly drawn out affairs with archers harassment and constant repositioning in formations. They don't sent in the infantry unless they have to because cavalry attacks from the flanks are a huge threat to infantry.

I would like to flip the script slightly, and have the modern time traveller besieging castles packed to the gills with defenders. Instead of starving them out, and long drawn out affairs with trebuchets and whatnot, you deploy some HIMARS 300km away and obliterate the castle that way.

eats

You get ammo from the future obviously.

I would like to flip the script slightly, and have the modern time traveller besieging castles packed to the gills with defenders. Instead of starving them out, and long drawn out affairs with trebuchets and whatnot, you deploy some HIMARS 300km away and obliterate the castle that way.
sounds fun for 30s and then the novelty drys up quick because it presents no challenge. No need to strategize anymore. You don't even have to be on the battlefield. Just blow it up with a missile. Mission complete.

The main point is that introducing technology from different time periods like this is very hard to balance. The impression I got from the trailer is that you are not fighting a medieval army, but rather a bunch of zombies in a medieval setting.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
sounds fun for 30s and then the novelty drys up quick because it presents no challenge. No need to strategize anymore. You don't even have to be on the battlefield. Just blow it up with a missile. Mission complete.

The main point is that introducing technology from different time periods like this is very hard to balance. The impression I got from the trailer is that you are not fighting a medieval army, but rather a bunch of zombies in a medieval setting.

I should have made it more obvious that the comment was tongue-in-cheek.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm hoping there's a sandbox mode to do your custom battles. It's such a cool and crazy idea for a game.

But if the game is structured to go through a story mode where lets say you play through 10 canned giant fights, that'll be boring. I want some customization to goof around setting my own parameters in Skirmish mode.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm hoping there's a sandbox mode to do your custom battles. It's such a cool and crazy idea for a game.

But if the game is structured to go through a story mode where lets say you play through 10 canned giant fights, that'll be boring. I want some customization to goof around setting my own parameters in Skirmish mode.

I'm assuming there's a sandbox mode but there's no mention of it in their FAQ.

How many devs are working on it?

Currently, there are 20 devs working on the game in various roles. This includes producers, artists, community managers, audio people, and coders, lots of coders.

What engine is it on?

Kingmakers is being developed in UE5.

Will there be a demo?

Yes, make sure to stay tuned on Kingmaker’s social channels, Discord, or wishlist on Steam for updates.

Will there be a closed playtests?

It’s very likely we will need to host closed playtests to help us get feedback or test certain features during our development. If you wish to sign up, make sure you join the official Kingmakers Discord server.

Is there split-screen/local co-op or online only?

No, co-op mode will be online only.

How many players can play co-op together?

4 players total can play together, so you and 3 friends!

What games inspired Kingmakers?

Kingmakers was inspired by a lot of different games. Off the top of my head:
  • Mount and Blade 1 and 2
  • Deeprock Galactic
  • Chivalry 1 and 2
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Crusader Kings
  • Stronghold Crusader
  • They Are Billions
  • Valheim
  • Rust
  • The Total War Series
  • Vermintide
  • World War Z
  • And many more

Will it be released on consoles?​

Yes, it is in our plans to release on consoles eventually, but only after 1.0 is fully released on PC.

Will it be in Early Access and for how long?

Yes. Kingmakers will initially be in early access on Steam. The duration of how long it will be in EA is currently to be determined.

Can you play offline?

Yes, you will not require an online connection to play solo.

How long has it been in development?

We’ve been working on Kingmakers for over 4 years. Most of that has been building the technology that makes Kingmakers possible. The rendering, animation, AI, and online multiplayer code that we believe is unlike any other Unreal Engine game to this date.

Is it historically accurate?

The premise of the game involves time travel which is obviously fiction. However, we try our best to honor some of the historical events that the player travels to in medieval England.

What year does the hero (player) travel back in time to?

The player travels back to 1461 England.

Is the hero (player) from the future or the present, and do we get to travel to the future as seen with the giant cat balloon scene in the trailer?

We don't want to spoil all the surprises just yet; stay tuned to the Kingmakers channels, and you’ll find out eventually!

What are the PC requirements to play?

The min spec requirements are not confirmed yet, we’ll share more details on it later.

Will I be able to customize my character?

Yes. We plan to offer a ton of customization options. We really want to give the player the feeling that he or she is going back into the middle ages, to help assist a wayward kingdom into becoming a grand empire.

Will there be a campaign/story mode and will it also be available in co-op?

Yes, there will be a campaign mode with a story you can play solo or co-op.

Will there be a PvP mode?

It’s not in the plans for Early Access release, but we may add it later in our roadmap if it’s highly requested.

Will we be able to drive modern vehicles or helicopters like the ones seen in the trailer?​

Yes. The chaos will ensue on wheels too.

Will there be a steam workshop, and UGC/mod support?

It’s not in the plan to release mod support for Early Access, however we will consider it post-EA launch.

Is it purely a shooter, or can I use melee weapons too?

Absolutely; the very first weapon you can wield is a sword and shield. What other weapons would you be excited to fight with?

Also love that the cite Chivalry 1 and 2 being among their inspirations. Criminally underrated games and just pure gameplay and hilarity.

Last edited:

lordrand11

I hate how much I really like this concept and execution via the trailer, if the finished product stays on target this will be a sleeper for me.

eats

The whole game looks like a sandbox. They use the word sandbox on the steam page in the description.

eats

I don't think an assault rifle will save you from 100 cavalry charging you.

eats

Oh shit they're dropping another trailer in IGN Fan Fest on Friday

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I only found out about this game through the weekly DF show. Hilarious concept. :messenger_tears_of_joy: The game looks very optimized, very impressive how smoothly you can go from a 3rd person view of the battlefield to an ultra wide top down view and back again. That scene with foots soldiers and mounted cavalry fighting on the stairs of a huge castle was cool. Don't know if it's the sort of game I'd play, but I wish the devs lots of success.

hlm666

How many people are going to cop a bolt in the head while standing there holding a shotgun saying this is my boom stick in their best Bruce Campbell voice. Once that happens to me i'm coming back in the apache.

no texactly my type of game, anything sandboxy, but looks like it could be fun.

I guess the dev has seen one of those; would a single F15 stop Pearl Harbor, would 10 Terminators win against the entire roman empire, and other what if simulations/speculations.

Top Bottom