• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Canvas Curse (DS) - Gamespot review

sammy

It really deserves better than 8.6 ---- one of platformings finest moments....

But hell, 8.6 via Gamespot - that's a very good thing.

bitwise

Banned
move over super mario 64 DS

its their highest rated DS game!

Kirby: Canvas Curse Action E 8.6
Super Mario 64 DS Action E 8.4
Zoo Keeper Puzzle E 7.8
Feel the Magic: XY/XX Puzzle T 7.7
Asphalt: Urban GT Driving E 7.5
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Action E10+ 7.3
World Championship Poker Puzzle E 7.3
Tiger Woods PGA Tour Sports E 7.3
The Urbz: Sims in the City Strategy E 7.3
Need for Speed Underground 2 Driving E 7.2
Yoshi Touch & Go Action E 7.2
WarioWare: Touched! Puzzle E 7.2
Madden NFL 2005 Sports E 7.2
Pac-Pix Puzzle E 6.9
Polarium Puzzle E 6.9
Ridge Racer DS Driving E 6.6
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits Puzzle E 6.6
Rayman DS Action E 6.0
Sprung Adventure T 6.0
Spider-Man 2 Action E 6.0
Pokemon Dash Driving E 5.2
Retro Atari Classics Action E 4.5
Ping Pals Strategy E 3.3

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I pre-ordered a copy alongside Battlefield 2 last week. This looks just as weird yet mechanically filling to be the next Kururin...hopefully. It's the first honest-to-god DS game I actually WANT to buy since launch, and hopefully the beginning of a wonderful late summer/fall cycle.

By the by, someone once said this was directed by the Rage Racer guy? Can we get a confirmation on that?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
bitwise said:
move over super mario 64 DS

its their highest rated DS game!

Kirby: Canvas Curse Action E 8.6
Super Mario 64 DS Action E 8.4
Zoo Keeper Puzzle E 7.8
Feel the Magic: XY/XX Puzzle T 7.7
Asphalt: Urban GT Driving E 7.5
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Action E10+ 7.3
World Championship Poker Puzzle E 7.3
Tiger Woods PGA Tour Sports E 7.3
The Urbz: Sims in the City Strategy E 7.3
Need for Speed Underground 2 Driving E 7.2
Yoshi Touch & Go Action E 7.2
WarioWare: Touched! Puzzle E 7.2
Madden NFL 2005 Sports E 7.2
Pac-Pix Puzzle E 6.9
Polarium Puzzle E 6.9
Ridge Racer DS Driving E 6.6
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits Puzzle E 6.6
Rayman DS Action E 6.0
Sprung Adventure T 6.0
Spider-Man 2 Action E 6.0
Pokemon Dash Driving E 5.2
Retro Atari Classics Action E 4.5
Ping Pals Strategy E 3.3

Wow whipideeweee lets show all of GS's DS scores to show the DS Library as weak now that it has a must buy game! Don't worry it won't hold that title long bitwise Nintendogs will do 10 Easily or I've never played THPS3.

bitwise

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Wow whipideeweee lets show all of GS's DS scores to show the DS Library as weak now that it has a must buy game! Don't worry it won't hold that title long bitwise Nintendogs will do 10 Easily or I've never played THPS3.

I think you misunderstood my intentions.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
bitwise said:
I think you misunderstood my intentions.

Oh ok I'm horrible at reading people sometimes especially on the net sorry about that. Still doesn't change that Kirby is the first game worth purchasing the system for. I saw a couple of movies that almost made me crack but, naaaaaa.

Also I would just like to say that Kirby is a bastard and a fucking bastard by the time you get to Level 7. Don't expect a cakewalk out of this one.

Unison

Wario64 said:
All in all, Kirby Canvas Curse does a lot of what you want a Nintendo DS game to do. And it couldn't really be done on any other platform, yet it doesn't sacrifice its gameplay for the sake of short-lived gimmicks.

I don't really get this whole concept that a good DS game has to do stuff that you can't do on other platforms...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Unison said:
I don't really get this whole concept that a good DS game has to do stuff that you can't do on other platforms...

It doesn't HAVE to. But it sure is awesome when a new software comes out for a unique system that SUCCESSFULLY takes advantage of some of that system's exclusive strengths.

callous

Unison said:

Nintendo set that bar themselves. If a game can be done on PSP, why not do it there where it will look 3x as good?

Unison

I dunno... the DS costs $100 less. I don't expect it to compete directly with the PSP. It also has significantly shorter load times, which is a huge factor in a portable. I don't think that the system is exactly outmoded. It feels more advanced than the GBA, for sure. The games are cheaper too...

I guess I'm past the point where I still feel I need to justify the purchase of the DS to myself. I've played it a lot. I've accepted it for what it is. I'm happy with it.

Mejilan

Then why do you care if a new game justifies the hardware decisions Nintendo made when designing the DS, or not?

Unison

Mejilan said:
Then why do you care if a new game justifies the hardware decisions Nintendo made when designing the DS, or not?

I don't care if it does... In fact, I'm kinda tired of everyone whining whenever a game leaves a particular feature untapped...

Mejilan

Unison said:
I don't care if it does... In fact, I'm kinda tired of everyone whining whenever a game leaves a particular feature untapped...

Gotcha. From that first post, it seemed like you were somehow annoyed that they mentioned in their review that the game justified the hardware.

Unison

Mejilan said:
Gotcha. From that first post, it seemed like you were somehow annoyed that they mentioned in their review that the game justified the hardware.

I was annoyed by the implication there that other DS games were gimmicky or inferior because they didn't use DS features as thoroughly as Kirby does.

... and the complaints in this review that it doesn't have multiplayer seem like more of the same to me.

Mejilan

Unison said:
I was annoyed by the implication there that other DS games were gimmicky or inferior because they didn't use DS features as thoroughly as Kirby does.

... and the complaints in this review that it doesn't have multiplayer seem like more of the same to me.

Well, other DS games (that try to use the DS' unique features) but don't do so as thoroughly or as completely, are in fact inferior, if not exactly gimmicky. :)

Unison

I haven't played Kirby yet, so I dunno for sure... but if anything Yoshi Touch & Go is a better use of the DS' features. It uses the dual screens better, uses the microphone (does Kirby??) and has multiplayer.

Mejilan

Fuck. Looks like Kirby DS will be my first Kirby game too.

*sighs*

Now to try and track down the rest of the series...

*daunting task awaits*

Ironclad

Wow, I am surprised how many people haven't played Kirby games. I've always liked them.

Mejilan, my recommendations to you would be Kirby Super Star(SNES, this one is great, especially co-op) and Kirby's Block Ball(GB). IMO, you can't go wrong with these two.

Mejilan

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Wow, I am surprised how many people haven't played Kirby games. I've always liked them.

Mejilan, my recommendations to you would be Kirby Super Star(SNES, this one is great, especially co-op) and Kirby's Block Ball(GB). IMO, you can't go wrong with these two.

Technically, I played and beat Kirby 64 years ago. But now I'm on the hunt to CATCH 'EM ALL, if you will... It's gonna be a long night, methinks... :)

I second the recommendation for Kirby's Block Ball (the first 8 megabit game for the original gameboy! This seemed like a big deal back in the day....... :lol )

On the gameboy side, I also liked Kirby Star Stacker as a puzzle game time waster. On SNES, Kirby's Dream Course is challenging and unique.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Man I just thought of something. How tight would it be if the Next Pokemon game had special extremely rare Nintendo IP pokemon like Kirby or the hammer brothers. How come they never mixed their IP's with Pokemon are they totally seperate companies that they just can't do it? Then again, something as obviously tight as this is the sort of thing Nintendo is known for avoiding like the ebonic plague.

Ironclad

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I second the recommendation for Kirby's Block Ball (the first 8 megabit game for the original gameboy! This seemed like a big deal back in the day....... :lol )

On the gameboy side, I also liked Kirby Star Stacker as a puzzle game time waster. On SNES, Kirby's Dream Course is challenging and unique.
I agree with the Dream Course recommendation but I have fonder memories with Super Star mainly due to the co-op. Copy was always better when you were the second player.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Kobun Heat said:
Also I would just like to say that Kirby is a bastard and a fucking bastard by the time you get to Level 7. Don't expect a cakewalk out of this one.

this man speaks the truth!

Top Bottom