• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo announces action RPG Fate/Samurai Remnant for PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developers Omega Force and Kou Shibusawa, in cooperation with TYPE-MOON and Aniplex, have announced action RPG Fate/Samurai Remnant for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC. It will launch in 2023 worldwide.

Pejo

I'm a fan of the Fate universe, so of course I'll pick this up, but it actually looks good (in cutscenes). I'd like to see gameplay but regardless this is probably a pickup for me unless it looks horrendous to play.

Musashi already in, pretty hype. Anybody know who that kid/girl servant is in the beginning?

cireza

Plus I don't remember Fate games being released on Xbox at all.

Awesome fighting game, highly recommended.

Last edited:

ssringo

Futurama Ambivalence GIF

Very interested but Fate stuff is very hit or miss and so is KT.

Ar¢tos

I'm starting to see a trend here. Publishers out right skipping Series S and X. I wonder why.

Damn, super disappointed that KT doesn't make an Xbox version as well. They have been supporting the console and releasing great games. And I am a huge Fate / Ufotable fan :/

The sales numbers on Xbox wouldn't be enough to pay for the porting and optimization costs, so why bother?

Pejo

To be fair, sony doesn’t have to make a deal to get Fate games since they own the IP
I don't think that's true. They own Delightworks through Aniplex, who was the original developer of the mobile title Fate/Grand Order. Type Moon still holds the Fate IP and I don't believe that Sony owns them, though I don't keep track of corporate stuff usually. I'm sure there is some friendliness and established collaboration between them, but I don't think they own the Fate IP at all.

I don't think that's true. They own Delightworks through Aniplex, who was the original developer of the mobile title Fate/Grand Order. Type Moon still holds the Fate IP and I don't believe that Sony owns them, though I don't keep track of corporate stuff usually. I'm sure there is some friendliness and established collaboration between them, but I don't think they own the Fate IP at all.

Sony own the gaming and anime distribution rights for it through Sony Music Group/Aniplex, like they own the movie rights for spider-man.

Last edited:

Ansphn

There is no trend.
Sony made deals with 3rd party for exclusives, coupled with Xbox being small in Japan .
.just your usual business.
I really don't believe this at all. No way Sony went to every publisher and made deals with them to block games from Xbox but not Nintendo. I understand games that they show as exclusives like Final Fantasy, Stellar yams, Rise of the Ronin but there is no way they are coming out the pockets for just any game. And if they did, why can't a 2 trillion dollar corporation that can purchase Sony 20 times over somehow unable to outbid them?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I really don't believe this at all. No way Sony went to every publisher and made deals with them to block games from Xbox but not Nintendo. I understand games that they show as exclusives like Final Fantasy, Stellar yams, Rise of the Ronin but there is no way they are coming out the pockets for just any game. And if they did, why can't a 2 trillion dollar corporation that can purchase Sony 20 times over somehow unable to outbid them?
market share rules, not the amount of money that you have.
As for fate series, Sony owns the IP.

Also MS selling 145k in Japan plays a huge role in their decision. No company wants to lose money selling their games on low customer devices. Companies want profit, and they aren't charitable.

If having more money mattered, MS would have had tons of exclusives during Xbox one. In reality they didn't.

Ansphn

market share rules, not the amount of money that you have.
As for fate series, Sony owns the IP.

Also MS selling 145k in Japan plays a huge role in their decision. No company wants to lose money selling their games on low customer devices. Companies want profit, and they aren't charitable.

If having more money mattered, MS would have had tons of exclusives during Xbox one. In reality they didn't.
But how do you know it's Sony paying money to block it? Where is the proof? Maybe the lack of market is enough for Japanese gaming publishers to pass on Xbox.

For example, if Sony was blocking, how come they're not blocking FF-Crisis core? The Final Fantasy name is strongly associated with PlayStation to the point that it's the closest thing to 1st party you can get for a 3rd party franchise, but Sony blocks other games but not Crisis core?

That makes no sense at all..

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
But how do you know it's Sony paying money to block it? Where is the proof? Maybe the lack of market is enough for Japanese gaming publishers to pass on Xbox.

For example, if Sony was blocking, how come they're not blocking FF-Crisis core? The Final Fantasy name is strongly associated with PlayStation to the point that it's the closest thing to 1st party you can get for a 3rd party franchise, but Sony blocks other games but not Crisis core?

Sony obviously paid for FF7 remake to be exclusive. Then Epic paid for exclusivity to block it from Steam. If you think moneyhats don’t exist you’re not paying attention. Where is the proof? Well that’s what makes them so shitty. It’s all done behind closed doors and occasionally they come out in court documents.

Now this weeb schlock in the OP, I doubt Sony paid for. They probably just don’t expect to sell many copies in the West.

cireza

how come they're not blocking FF-Crisis core?
Because they didn't feel like it ? Maybe Square-Enix accepted for FF XVI and Forspoken but part of the contract was to allow a few other games on other consoles ?

They paid/are paying for Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Forspoken, KOF, Silent Hill etc... many of these are multi-platform titles. Who knows when they pay for something exclusive...

Fate is pretty niche but it is getting traction in the West. It would be stupid not releasing all games on Xbox as well if you want to target the West. However Aniplex was founded by Sony, so it certainly won't help. The fact that we got Melty Blood on Xbox is a miracle to begin with, but this happened because Aniplex was not involved.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned

Marketing, and being dominant platform gives you some say.

For example, Sony has the marketing rights for a lot of games in Asia, especially in south Korea. Even though the same game is on Xbox, they only show their platform for their games, which reduces Xbox presence in those regions.

As for timed exclusives, our source now is just a rumor.

In the report, Imran Khan, a former Game Informer senior editor, has cited insider knowledge suggesting that Sony is currently in talks with a number of major game developers specifically looking to tempt them into signing up for some kind of exclusivity deal. While this will, in the vast majority of cases, likely involve a ‘timed-exclusive’ deal (such as recently seen with the Final Fantasy VII Remake) it could well be another major factor that could see the scales tipped heavily in the PS5’s favor.

It explains why PS5 had timed exclusives for games like deathloop and ghost wire Tokyo.

Sony is focusing on big games, and taking userbases from Xbox and Nintendo.

EDMIX

Sony obviously paid for FF7 remake to be exclusive. Then Epic paid for exclusivity to block it from Steam. If you think moneyhats don’t exist you’re not paying attention. Where is the proof? Well that’s what makes them so shitty. It’s all done behind closed doors and occasionally they come out in court documents.

Now this weeb schlock in the OP, I doubt Sony paid for. They probably just don’t expect to sell many copies in the West.

I don't really think they are saying Money Hats don't exist, merely that it simply doesn't make sense to pretend ALL of those games not coming to XB have to do with that.

Why would Sony or Nintendo NEEEEED to pay any publisher to avoid a system they are already struggling to move units on in the first place? The gamepass deals made sense for MS cause they needed to get Sega, Square and lots on board based on those games selling so low on XB in terms of the jrpgs. Thus, I just can't buy that every last title to not come to xb is part of some deal.

I agree with you 100% on stuff like FFVII remake or FFXVI.

You still must consider, why was FFXV different? Are we to believe Sony didn't try to pay for that? I honestly think they did...Square likely turned down their offer to sell it on both PS4 and XONE and I think its that performance and KH3 that had the door open to those timed deals. As in, Square wasn't open to it and turned down the deals to see how they'd do on both platforms, sold something like 21% of FFXV on XB and 18% of KH3 on XB and I think that might have been the thing that had them saying yes the second time around or something.

For other titles, I don't even think Square is even wasting the time to entertain some deal cause they likely know it wasn't going to sell much on XB and maybe they are waiting for MS to offer the deal to pay for those ports after at this point. So a logical reason exist for lots of Japanese publishers to go the PS, Nintendo, PC route.

I don't really buy a deal is needed to account for every last one though. As someone stated, some of those games didn't even have a XB version in the past.

Because they didn't feel like it ? Maybe Square-Enix accepted for FF XVI and Forspoken but part of the contract was to allow a few other games on other consoles ?

Maybe. It could also be cause Sony didn't agree with a deal. Maybe they felt like such a remake wasn't really needed as they already know the majority that will buy it will be those that are playing FFVII remake anyway. So I think Square did go to Sony, I think Sony declined.

They likely know they'll move more units anyway and with the remake deal for FFVII, most will just buy Crisis Core on PS.

They paid/are paying for Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Forspoken, KOF, Silent Hill etc... many of these are multi-platform titles. Who knows when they pay for something exclusive...
This is true.
Fate is pretty niche but it is getting traction in the West. It would be stupid not releasing all games on Xbox as well if you want to target the West.
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they don't want to do such an investment and are waiting for MS to offer to pay for the port or get some Gamepass deal.

Maybe they want to see how it does on PS, Nintendo and PC before extending over to XB for some new western push.

That is what Yakuza did btw.

When they started to rebrand, remarket and make that push towards the west, it wasn't at the very start or something. They put out a remake, Zero etc before any of that started coming to XB, so I think maybe with something like Fate, a remake of an older title to get the west on board from day 1 sorta like Yakuza 1 remake and Zero did, see how that does on PC, PS and Nintendo and then push for a XB release later if those do well, like try to get a gamepass deal or for MS to pay port cost or something.

I agree with most of your points btw, simply that I don't think its stupid to skip XB right now as they still have to work on getting this IP doing well in the west PERIOD, they can worry about XB and a deal when its selling well on all platforms is on now sorta like how Yakuza did.

I'm starting to see a trend here. Publishers out right skipping Series S and X. I wonder why.
No Xbox gamers buy Japanese games, so Japanese devs and studios don't waste their time and money.

Final Fantasy was consistently selling 80:20 and 90:10 ratios on PS vs. Xbox and that's probably the most mainstream JP franchise that exists in the West. So Square Enix stopped making Final Fantasy games for Xbox.

Fate is pretty niche but it is getting traction in the West. It would be stupid not releasing all games on Xbox as well if you want to target the West. However Aniplex was founded by Sony, so it certainly won't help. The fact that we got Melty Blood on Xbox is a miracle to begin with, but this happened because Aniplex was not involved.

How is Fate niche? Sony's music division is making a billion a year on the Fate Go mobile game, which has around 15 million downloads

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I thought Phil said Japan market is important for them and he went to Japan last time and trying to get some games on their console? what happen?

-Zelda-

Banned
Do these games tend to get dubbed? If they do, I hope they do not get the usual idiots from Funimation or who have worked with Funimation. If they do, I'll just go sub, so I guess it does not matter.

Ansphn

No Xbox gamers buy Japanese games, so Japanese devs and studios don't waste their time and money.

Final Fantasy was consistently selling 80:20 and 90:10 ratios on PS vs. Xbox and that's probably the most mainstream JP franchise that exists in the West. So Square Enix stopped making Final Fantasy games for Xbox.
This i agree with so I don't understand why people keep saying the reason Japanese games are not going to Xbox is because Sony is blocking the games from going to Xbox.

cireza

How is Fate niche? Sony's music division is making a billion a year on the Fate Go mobile game, which has around 15 million downloads
As I said, it is niche in the West. We did not even officially get the VNs. The new Tsukihime will be the first one to have an official English release.

As I said, it is niche in the West. We did not even officially get the VNs. The new Tsukihime will be the first one to have an official English release.
You're thinking of Mahoutsukai no Yoru (Witch on the Holy Night) which did indeed become the first Type-Moon VN to ever be officially released outside of Japan with an official English and Chinese localization.

And it's gotten this release thanks to Aniplex publishing and the FGO translation team at Lasengle. So it's because of Sony we're even getting this miracle.

People think that if Mahoyo does well enough in the West, they might actually consider an official English release of Tsukihime remake. But they are already competing with a fan translation that may be finished as soon as early next year.

Last edited:

Woopah

Sales of Japanese games tend to be lower on Xbox than other platforms, which is why it is skipped for some smaller releases.

But this creates a vicious cycle, as sales for Japanese games on Xbox won't grow if publishers don't put their content there.

Top Bottom