• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami aims high with eSports-dedicated center in Ginza, Tokyo

Shin

Banned
Konami is currently developing a building in Ginza, downtown Tokyo that is set to be a fully functional eSports center, amongst Japan’s recent push to catch up with the the rest of the world. The building, which will be called Konami Creative Center (KCC Ginza), will be 12 floors high with one underground floor, and is set to finish construction this November, just in time for 2020 and the Tokyo Olympics.

During the brick-laying ceremony held recently, Konami president Kimihiko Higashio stated, “The people who participate in eSports will in the future, stand side by side with those participating in real-life sports like soccer, or even surpass them. Compared to eSports pioneers America and Europe, Japan has still a long way to go. However, looking from another angle, it means Japan has lots of room for growth.”

Situated in downtown Tokyo, KCC Ginza will have the latest sound, video, lighting and communications systems in place for the building’s eSports arena, “eSports Ginza Studio”. Furthermore, KCC Ginza will have staff and instructors offering classes on eSports, in order to help increase the recognition and scope of eSports in Japan. A dedicated shop that will sell eSports equipment and products is also planned to open inside the building.

kccginza2_thumb.jpg
When it's completed:
kccginza1_thumb.jpg

Credit: Siliconera
Source: Kyodo News

TLZ

Banned
PES myclub is here to stay.

Goddamit. RIP Master league.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
PES myclub is here to stay.

Goddamit. RIP Master league.
By that response I take you're equally in shock to see Konami + eSports :p
More so when they kinda withdrew from the console scene but pushing for something like this.
On the other hand gotta hand it to them, instead of renting a venue they create one from the ground up.

A.Romero

10 floors filled with your favourite Pachinko machines.

I don't see Konami as a esport player but this could change if they invest heavily.

Deft Beck

Can't wait for the class where you can become Kaiden in Beatmania IIDX in just twelve easy years!

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
If it doesn't pan out I guess they can convert it into another fitness center. How does e-sports even work in Japan? Last I heard they have very small prize pools due to gambling laws and it's what forces their best fighting game players to compete abroad so often in order to make decent money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom