• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami finds a way to milk Castlevania with NFT's for its 35th birthday, because of course they do

Bartski

Gold Member
Introducing the Konami MEMORIAL NFT Series:

l9dhdD4.jpg

Jennings

With the restrictions given, how can I make a healthy profit with any NFTs I win at auction without having to re-sell them? Couldn't I license them out as is done with other media properties?

Last edited:

Doom85

Fucking Konami.

taco bell stare GIF by ScooterMagruder

I continue to pray to all gods, old, new, dead, whatever the fuck it takes for the universe to suddenly rewrite reality and Capcom now holds their IPs. Konami’s abused employees in better jobs as well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I mean, if they released a unique NFT of the original Simon’s Quest title screen, where you, and you only, own that screen, I would see the point. But this is just a shitty screen grab with some MS Paint free font text on top of it. Peak stupidity

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Fucking Konami.

taco bell stare GIF by ScooterMagruder

I continue to pray to all gods, old, new, dead, whatever the fuck it takes for the universe to suddenly rewrite reality and Capcom now holds their IPs. Konami’s abused employees in better jobs as well.
I dont think Capcom would be a good idea. As much as they have done a great Job this gen with the RE series.
For some reason Capcom/Sega ignore most their old IP’s. Sega acts like it doesnt have Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter. Its taken then decades to make a Streets of Rage game.

Capcom ignores Dino Crisis, Power Stone, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Street fighter was kinda weird this gen.
Loved Resident Evil this gen though

Doom85

I dont think Capcom would be a good idea. As much as they have done a great Job this gen with the RE series.
For some reason Capcom/Sega ignore most their old IP’s. Sega acts like it doesnt have Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter. Its taken then decades to make a Streets of Rage game.

Capcom ignores Dino Crisis, Power Stone, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Street fighter was kinda weird this gen.
Loved Resident Evil this gen though

I mean, if Konami’s employees joined them that would give them more hands on deck to make more games. Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill would be guaranteed, and I could see a few other IPs getting some love.

Plus, I don’t blame Capcom for being cautious. From what I heard for example, Darkstalkers Resurrection did not sell well. You can’t expect a company to take risks constantly,

Kokoloko85

I mean, if Konami’s employees joined them that would give them more hands on deck to make more games. Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill would be guaranteed, and I could see a few other IPs getting some love.

Plus, I don’t blame Capcom for being cautious. From what I heard for example, Darkstalkers Resurrection did not sell well. You can’t expect a company to take risks constantly,
Yeah if Konami employees would join that would be cool

Smasher89

Lets say in the long run, when servers starts going down for things like these(arguing its more than nothing), could you potencially sue konami for not keeping it up? (thinking about for a way to get this trend to backfire to the greedy companies)

Last edited:

Kadve

I dont know what NFT’s are though and meta universe and all this shit. Is it roadblocks related lol?
Its a basically a block chain encrypted certificate that says you "own" something. The idea when applying it to stuff like this is that you will be able buy something and then safely be able to sell it to someone else. With the actual owner/creator obviously getting a % of the transaction.

Lets say in the long run, when servers starts going down for things like these(arguing its more than nothing), could you potencially sue konami for not keeping it up? (thinking about for a way to get this trend to backfire to the greedy companies)
An NFT isn't tied to a server outside of your own computer/internet connection. As long as the blockchain network itself remains so will they.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Add this to the pile of shit Konami has done on the past decade or more but don't let that 1 guy on gaf who loves the company no matter what see this thread or else he'll cry like a bitch.

Why is this a bad thing? Is it something nefarious, or is it just because paying money for a JPEG is dumb?

I love (making money on) Crypto, and people are generally in favor of it. Why are NFTs so reviled?

Chukhopops

What a sad way to celebrate the birthday of a legendary franchise.

Although I guess it was nice enough of them to release the Advance Collection, a nice little gift to the fans.

Worrying Bon Voyage GIF by Kim's Convenience

You do not really own anything, just a code that has no real value, this is just another charade to make more money while pretty much-scamming people. Who wants to purchase the gif below, I could sell it as an NFT, I do not own the rights, but who cares?

jurassic park deal with it GIF

If this takes popularity, you will see a lot of games made just for the sake of money first and anything else second.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is what happens when video games get recorded. Someone at the top wants to profit off somebody else watching video games.

DaGwaphics

So instead of getting a castlevania game for 25th anniversary we are getting screenshots.

These are screenshots that you absolutely own and have a recorded ownership of. Don't be daft. JK

I just don't get the appeal of the whole thing. Especially these ones that are sold upfront (like those NBA highlights selling for 250k, WTF).

Daymos

It only has value if someone buys it.. so don't buy it. Quick, create a nft cancel culture where it's socially unacceptable to buy them, unfortunately that's all anyone listens to.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Can we get a thumbs down / middle finger / puking green face reaction yet? I don’t really feel like laughter is the right reaction to shit like this.

Can this manufactured fad fuck off already?

Sick of having it crammed down my throat every 5 seconds.
You’ll be sick for a long time.
Stuff like this will impact your life beyond digital trinkets and baubles sooner than you think.

Fbh

I don't understand. Explain to me like I'm 5 years old, why would anyone want to buy this? Who?

In the case of things like these they are trying to sell you the concept that you are basically buying "the original", like a painting. Just like how the original Mona Lisa is worth way more than a reproduction or a print, they'll argue owning the "original" version of some digital art piece will give it more value.

Of course the big fucking difference is that you can't just right click on the Mona Lisa and get an identical version of it, the original is a real tangible object that was actually painted by Da Vinci himself and no print or reproduction of it will ever be completely the same, that's why it has value. Meanwhile your NFT is just a JPEG or Gif.
NFT sellers will also often sell multiple versions with slight differences as "different unique art works". So imagine there were 50 "original" versions of the Mona Lisa, just that in one she is facing to the right, in the other one she has slightly different clothes, in the other one she has a slightly different hairstyle, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom