• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Kotaku' is hit by layoffs

Drizzlehell

Banned
Finally then can move on to something more productive that's more befitting of their talents:
wagie-wojak.gif

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Learn to code.
I don't know if I'd even advise this anymore.

High-level coders with a depth of experience and seniority behind them? Sure, we'll have careers.

But starting from scratch today as a coder, as a career switch? You might fighting uphill to get a foot in anywhere, particularly as AI tooling reduces the number of junior programmers needed to scaffold out a project.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't know if I'd even advise this anymore.

High-level coders with a depth of experience and seniority behind them? Sure, we'll have careers.

But starting from scratch today as a coder, as a career switch? You might fighting uphill to get a foot in anywhere, particularly as AI tooling reduces the number of junior programmers needed to scaffold out a project.
I was just using the old joke. Because I know it offends them.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got flayed by the internet and had to publicly apologize the last time I took (what I thought was) a friendly jab at Kotaku. Funny thing is, I actually liked Kotaku. :|

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is just the start. The cultural landscape is shifting and I highly doubt the current slacktivist class that staff most of the enthusiast (LOL) press are going to be able to navigate the changes successfully.

Was there a specific financial event or series of events that lead to all these game industry layoffs?
I'm going to assume it's like many layoffs right now. Companies expanded too fast during COVID, enjoyed the temporary post COVID bump, and now that things are settling back into normal, staffing likewise needs to be reduced to pre-covid levels.

Top Bottom