• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOTOR-OVERRATED

Insertia

Playing through it again on the light side(PC version), and ughhhh, it's so amazingly boring. I give props to the battle system, which is actually enjoyable (although the enemy variation is shit). Once you get a hold of your ship, the entire game is about searching for fricken STAR MAPS. It's no longer compelling, especially on the light side when you can no longer be an asshole.

Oh, and the second to last planet (the aqua world) has to be the most tedious thing I've ever trekked through.

KOTOR has recieved far more credit then it deserves.

"oh, and the second to last planet (the aqua world) has to be the most tedious thing I've ever trekked through."

Even though there's no set order of how to visit the planets, I will say that Manaan is indeed boring as hell.

That said, KOTOR rocked.

bjork

It only held my interest for about three hours, then it just seemed tedious, so I returned it.

Everyone says "you have to get off Taris to get to the good part", but I'm not really into games where you need to play for several hours before it becomes fun...

bjork

Actually, I was raiding apartments and stuff, and then I needed to go talk to the rebellion people at their headquarters or something when I stopped.

I just don't flip out over SW games... never have, really.

Jagernaut

The game was fun, but after beating it as a completely Dark Side character i had no interest in playing through it again.

Gattsu25

Banned
Light Side > Dark Side

stupid bitches :b

still...that damn Carth/Mission bug FUCKING RUINED ALL ENJOYMENT I HAD WITH THE GAME

repurchased it today...gonna give it another shot =\

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I love this game. I'm not particularly fond of really, really long games. And I'm not particularly fond of RPGs which generally have piss poor narrative. But this was a lot of fun and the 40+ hours breezed by for me. It made me sort of enjoy the Star Wars mythos again which I haven't really cared for since I was very young.

bogg

Loved it. The only RPG I really got into and played till the end. Cant wait for sith lords!
And what was your impression the first time you played it?

bobafett

bjork said:
It only held my interest for about three hours, then it just seemed tedious, so I returned it.

Everyone says "you have to get off Taris to get to the good part", but I'm not really into games where you need to play for several hours before it becomes fun...

IAWTP!

Insertia said:
Playing through it again on the light side(PC version), and ughhhh, it's so amazingly boring. I give props to the battle system, which is actually enjoyable (although the enemy variation is shit). Once you get a hold of your ship, the entire game is about searching for fricken STAR MAPS. It's no longer compelling, especially on the light side when you can no longer be an asshole.

Oh, and the second to last planet (the aqua world) has to be the most tedious thing I've ever trekked through.

KOTOR has recieved far more credit then it deserves.

So a game is overrated when YOU think it is? I found hockey boring, but it isn't "overrated" by any means. It's just not my thing. Maybe KOTOR is just "not your thing" too.

good game.. i dont like RPGS, but i liked this one pretty well..

i wont be getting KOTOR 2 however, as i traded in the first kotor before finishing it.. RPGS just arent my things.. i am actually interested in sudeki and fable, however, as they appear to be not really traditional rpgs but more action rpgs...

Game was amazing. Greatest battle system ever. But like every other game that has to let these awkward stealth/bomb based builds actually work, it was ridiculously easy for standard warrior classes. Only time I came close to dying was in last level when enemies kept coming and no way to replenish force.

Insertia

Littleberu said:
So a game is overrated when YOU think it is? I found hockey boring, but it isn't "overrated" by any means. It's just not my thing. Maybe KOTOR is just "not your thing" too.

No. KOTOR is my 'thing'. I'm a RPG nut.
KOTOR is decent, but it isn't groundbreaking-bust a nut-splooge all over my monitor good.

There were too many moments where I had to admit it was no fun.
Pretty much everything related to the first planet sucked (espcially the sewers,'swoop' racing, and lower levels)...I won't bother going on because I can go on and on.

The only time I enjoyed the game was at the Jedi Academy, the sith planet, and the dessert planet(and they're all far better when playing on the dark side).

The rest is kind of a chore to play through.

Also, I couldn't believe the entire focus of the game was 'star maps'.

lame.

Trevelyon

Best use of the license since Super Return of the Jedi. A tad easy & the combat system takes a few hours to get into, but apart from that everything else is extremely well done.

Fjord

Manaan was my favourite o_O The one I couldn't stand was that wookie hellhole, mainly because it was too dark.

KOTOR was really good to me, and I played Dark\Light back to back as soon as it came out.

After learning D&D 3rd through Neverwinter, I can appreciate the super streamlined game system that they implemented, but I can also see how easy it is to exploit
(Scoundrel+Guardian = Sick sneak attack jumps)

The best part of the game for me, by far, came about when, as a dark jedi, I was able to force Zalbaar the wookie to kill his best friend, Mission. I hated that useless bitch.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think KOTOR had some of the best story and action in a Star Wars product ever: I enjoyed the long experience they game provided. Everything seemed to be there for a reason, sotry-wise and graphically-wise.

IMHO, they could have taken the story and characters in KOTOR and made a movie out of it or maybe two movies :).

yacobod

Banned
Greatest battle system ever

i dont know

it's just a more basic version of the battle system found in other black isle rpgs

i prefer the battle system of baldur's gate 2

but its still good

KOTOR duped me into thinking Star Wars wasn't worthless, and even got me to watch Episode II when it was on HBO a while back. Stupid KOTOR.

And I could see how Manaan would be boring if you went there last and had to deal with the trial the first time through. If you go there first and don't have the black dude then it's fairly straight forward.

Redbeard

Banned
Insertia said:
Also, I couldn't believe the entire focus of the game was 'star maps'.

lame.

The focus of the game was your character. The star maps were just the excuse to visit all the planets. Not the most original or compelling plot device, but it's not about the destination.

Prine

Banned
Ghost said:
/me adds Insertia to list of people with bad taste in games.

Best game this gen IMO, best RPG i've played

Edit: Manaan and Korriban rocked! Loved being a lawyer, trying to manipulate the facts using your force powers

Subitai

I don't think it is overrated for the freedom it allowed in the story. However, I think the idea that everyone would like this is certainly overrrated.

It deserves every bit of praise it's been getting. I really do think it may be my favorite game this gen. Considering the way Lucasarts whores out the Star Wars license, KotOR was a breath of fresh air. There hasn't been a Star Wars game that was any good for a very long time up until KotOR.

Panajev2001a said:
IMHO, they could have taken the sotry and characters in KOTOR and made a movie out of it or maybe two movies :).

A friend and I were just talking about that last week. KotOR featured a story that easily tops the new trilogy. Sad that some scribe at Bioware just bitchslapped the creator of the franchise.

----

Banned
Prine said:
Best game this gen IMO, best RPG i've played

Edit: Manaan and Korriban rocked! Loved being a lawyer, trying to manipulate the facts using your force powers
Definitely the best RPG I've ever played and the best storyline in a video game I've ever sat through. Ninja Gaiden rocked my world though, so that's easily the best game for me this generation. Well maybe Halo was better. In any case for me all 3 games (Ninja Gaiden, Halo, and KOTOR) defined and mastered their respective genres.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Shadow said:
A friend and I were just talking about that last week. KotOR featured a story that easily tops the new trilogy. Sad that some scribe at Bioware just bitchslapped the creator of the franchise.

There are lots of people with talent in the game industry and in a company which puts story and content very high in their priorities I would not expect anything less.

I agree with you, the story in KOTOR is much better than what Episode I and Episode II have put us through.

AeroGod

Son of Godzilla said:
Greatest battle system ever.

Youve gotta be kidding me, the battle system was one of the worst parts. Granted some of the saber battles LOOKED cool, they werent any fun to actually play.

If KOTORs storyline and open-endedness wasnt as good as it was I probably never would have played more then 4 hours of it before shutting the shit off. I didnt like the battle system at all.

----

Banned
Tre said:
"defined and mastered their respective genres."

You're talking console only, right?
If there's been a bigger more successful FPS released for the PC since Halo, I'm unaware of it. If there's been a more revolutionary and reveered RPG released since Knights of the Old Republic, I haven't heard of it. If Ninja Gaiden has any kind of an equivalent on the PC I'll be completely dumbfounded. I don't spend a lot of time with the PC, but popular games like Far Cry and Call of Duty have been mere blips on the radar compared to the impact that Halo had this generation.

To be fair to Lucas that scribe borrowed heavily from the original Trilogy and universe that Lucas created. I completely agree that the new SW trilogy may not be as faithful to the original as KOTOR was, but Lucas created the original Trilogy to begin with so I think he deserves a little more credit than the guy at Bioware who tweaked his original ideas.

Too bad Knights of the Old Republic wasn't the new trilogy instead of Episode 1-3. The characters, plot twists, and team adventure/swashbuckling feeling of the game was so reminiscent of the original movies, but different enough that I think it would have made for a great series of movies if it had been that instead of a video game.

I was more talking about Halo and KOTOR than Ninja Gaiden, of course.

"If there's been a bigger more successful FPS released for the PC since Halo, I'm unaware of it. If there's been a more revolutionary and reveered RPG released since Knights of the Old Republic"

Bigger and more successful? No, but success doesn't equate to mastering and redefining the genre. Especially since Halo didn't do anything that wasn't done previously and in some cases, better.

KOTOR's not revolutionary. Sorry. I love the game, but it's a dumbed down Infinity Engine game with Star Wars universe.

----

Banned
I've never played an RPG with the realtime battle system that KOTOR had and I never will play an RPG that doesn't have that.

If you really think that Halo did nothing new, then how do you explain the success of the game in relation to all other FPS titles. It certainly wasn't an established franchise with a built-in fanbase. How about the AI? I can't remember playing any other FPS where I had that much fun fighting the computer. How about the sound, weapons, and control? I don't remember playing any FPS that had weapons this balanced and made the game more fun by restricting you to holding only two weapons at a time. Every game uses the "Halo control scheme" today. Just the fact that the phrase the "Halo control scheme" exists proves that the game was revolutionary and genre defining.

---- said:
I've never played an RPG with the realtime battle system that KOTOR had and I never will play an RPG that doesn't have that.

If you really think that Halo did nothing new, then how do you explain the success of the game in relation to all other FPS titles. It certainly wasn't an established franchise with a built-in fanbase. How about the AI? I can't remember playing any other FPS where I had that much fun fighting the computer. How about the sound, weapons, and control? I don't remember playing any FPS that had weapons this balanced and made the game more fun by restricting you to holding only two weapons at a time. Every game uses the "Halo control scheme" today. Just the fact that the phrase the "Halo control scheme" exists proves that the game was revolutionary and genre defining.

The Halo control scheme existed before Halo. It was just called something else.

Halo is a great game but there are a lot of aspects to it that arn't entirely new. It's not a crime to say that Halo did a lot of things right even though they weren't the first time they've been done.

Acosta

Good history: check

Good characters and dialogues: check

Good graphics: check

good music: check

Intelligent combat system (in the way you don´t need to be a super RPG fan to enjoy it so it suits with the product and can be fun): check.

Sure, RPG fans won´t love its combat system as there are things much rich and complex around there.

But for me, the big thing for KOTOR is that it used perfecly a licence. It´s more, it improved that licence. They took all the elements that people love about Star Wars and introduced it to the game, creating a rich story that suits very well with the world is based..

No, I don´t believe it´s the best RPG around for PC or console. But it´s the best licensed game ever, and a good game itself IMO.

Floyd

Neverwinter Nights is very similar, which came before KOTOR. KOTOR is like a console friendly version of NWN. Only better imo. Story wise. Not revolutionary though.

"I've never played an RPG with the realtime battle system that KOTOR had and I never will play an RPG that doesn't have that."

Play any Black Isle or Bioware RPG sans Fallout 1/2, and you'll have the SAME thing. Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2, Neverwinter Nights. The same thing, but not as simplified.

"If you really think that Halo did nothing new, then how do you explain the success of the game in relation to all other FPS titles."

To "All" other FPS titles? Half-life and Quake, my good man.

"Every game uses the "Halo control scheme" today. Just the fact that the phrase the "Halo control scheme" exists proves that the game was revolutionary and genre defining"

The "Halo Control scheme," as mentioned, has been in place on console FPSs for some time.

"made the game more fun by restricting you to holding only two weapons at a time."

Rainbow Six?

etiolate

Banned
I went to the water planet first and I'm thinking thats a mistake. Open ended gameplay when it really shouldn't be! Oh well. Lame pants.

The game needs less useless, wandering NPCs and less interruptions from your companions. It's good, but I haven't liked it as much as NWN.

Gattsu25

Banned
/boggle

you mean NWN+expansion packs, right?

meh...even if you mean bare bones NWN I can still see where you're coming from...Black Isle's and Bioware's games are all pretty damn similar from a gameplay standpoint (with the exception of the Fallout games, i've greatly enjoyed all of their games)...maybe their gameplay grew old to you?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Manaan was my favourite o_O The one I couldn't stand was that wookie hellhole, mainly because it was too dark.<<<

But the wookie hellhole had just about the most amusing puzzle I've ever seen in an RPG. (the one where you have to match the personality profile of the last Star Map user) The dialogue was priceless.

etiolate

Banned
you mean NWN+expansion packs, right?

Yeah, I have NWN Gold. The gameplay is pretty similiar, Bioware just keeps changing the settings. The gameplay didn't grow old for me, it just hasn't made a big enough jump for me to call the game great.

----

Banned
Tre said:
"If you really think that Halo did nothing new, then how do you explain the success of the game in relation to all other FPS titles."

To "All" other FPS titles? Half-life and Quake, my good man.
You know I meant this generation. Why has it garnered so much love and attention if it did nothing really important? No other game in it's genre has received as many accolades or sales as Halo has this gen. And why would Halo get so much attention if those games (Half-Life/Quake) which preceded it were actually better? It wouldn't. Halo improved the genre.

"Every game uses the "Halo control scheme" today. Just the fact that the phrase the "Halo control scheme" exists proves that the game was revolutionary and genre defining"

The "Halo Control scheme," as mentioned, has been in place on console FPSs for some time.
No it hasn't. There weren't even dual stick controllers on the market for very long before Halo arrived. The FPS games that appeared on consoles prior to Halo all shared terrible control schemes.

"made the game more fun by restricting you to holding only two weapons at a time."

Rainbow Six?
Uh no offense to Clancy fans, but those games don't have the weapon balancing that Halo has. If they did they'd be as popular as Halo is.

And what about the AI? The AI is what made Halo such a fun gameplay experience compared to any other FPS games. That wasn't a big advancement? I think that's what totally made the game. And what about loading level areas on the fly the way Halo did? I haven't seen many games before that or since then which have done that so well. It allowed for open areas far bigger than anything I'd seen in FPS games that came before Halo.

Tre, it's a lost cause...some people think Goldeneye was revolutionary
Well I think so too. I don't remember seeing a lot of popular mission/objective based FPS games prior to GoldenEye. Before GE games were mostly like Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein and just focused on killing everything and getting to the next level. I think making the levels more difficult by adding new objectives to the harder difficulty levels was also a very original idea for the genre.

Play any Black Isle or Bioware RPG sans Fallout 1/2, and you'll have the SAME thing. Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2, Neverwinter Nights. The same thing, but not as simplified.
You could be right, haven't played any of them and I hardly ever hear anything about those games. If people like them better than KOTOR I'd be surprised. I do think KOTOR has stolen the attention of the genre, but maybe that is just for consoles. Maybe it hasn't affected the PC world as much as it has the console world. Console RPGs and PC RPGs are still very different.

Top Bottom