• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kubrick's Barry Lyndon getting a Criterion release

JB1981

Super excited to see this get a proper restoration and special features. Personally cannot wait to grab this. It's one of those movies that gets better every time you see it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XYGB8T/?tag=neogaf0e-20

TWO-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Alternate 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- New documentary featuring cast and crew interviews as well as excerpts from a 1976
audio interview with director Stanley Kubrick
- New program about the film's groundbreaking visuals, featuring focus puller Douglas Milsome and gaffer Lou Bogue, as well as excerpts from a 1980 interview with cinematographer John Alcott
- New program about Academy Award winning production designer Ken Adam with historian Sir Christopher Frayling
- New interview with editor Anthony Lawson
- French television interview from 1976 with Oscar-winning costume designer Ulla-Britt Soderlund
- New interview with critic Michel Ciment
- New interview with actor Leon Vitali about the 5.1 surround soundtrack, which he cosupervised
- New piece analyzing the fine-art-inspired aesthetics of the film with art curator Adam Eaker
- PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien and two pieces about the film from the March 1976 issue of American Cinematographer

Nice! I watched it long ago and really enjoyed it, though I don't remember it too well. This gives me a great excuse to revisit it.

I look forward to checking this out from my local library years down the line. Watched it for the first time on a CRT a few years back. If any film deserves to be rewatched in HD, it's this one.

Sounds great. I was super impressed by the picture quality of the previous Bluray release so I can't even imagine how nice this will look.

JB1981

Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, The Killing. That's it so far I believe.

I forgot about the Killing! I bought the Criteron blind and watched it for the first time a few months ago. I actually really enjoyed it. Strangelove I grabbed off Vudu for like $5

I didn't really like the film as a narrative piece, but it might be one of my favourite technical achievements in pure cinematography and photography. What they did with the repurposed cameras to shoot all those candle light scenes was, and still is incredible.

Will it have the original's version of the Warner logo in the beginning or the newer one that the blu-ray got?

The way the original animated with the music was great.

It's a great film. The original blu-ray was really good already, and I picked it up when it first came out, so I doubt I'll double-dip, but anyone interested in period drama should definitely check it out. Vastly underrated movie.

THE:MILKMAN

One of the few 'must see' films I haven't seen. I don't ever remember it being on UK TV, either?

Must get around to seeing it sometime......

Alienfan

I didn't really like the film as a narrative piece, but it might be one of my favourite technical achievements in pure cinematography and photography. What they did with the repurposed cameras to shoot all those candle light scenes was, and still is incredible.

My thoughts also. Basically the Avatar of Kubrick films, visually one of cinema's greatest achievements, but my God was it boring. The dialogue and acting made it hard to get through

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Great news, bad timing, as I just received the current blu-ray on Monday. Oh, well, triple dip, I guess...

Same, I need to change that asap.

I just looked up a scene from the movie and holy fucking shit, Kubrick made the WW1 movie I always wanted. There is this battle scene that looks like it is one long shot in that way that Kubrick does it, with the most intense and terrifying sound that I think actually is the first time I feel someone has captured the intensity of WW1's trench warfare. I have always loved the ambient aspects of Kubrick's work, something I feel like people overlook. He has a real sense of place when he directs stuff.

Like the first two minutes the artillery starts to ramp up and up, then machine guns, more artillery, and everyone is charging, dying, getting blown apart.

Top Bottom