• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest GCN Memory Card?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have that Nintendo 1019 card, and I'm out of space. Is there anything larger out there? I've been out of touch.

Culex

Banned
Mejilan said:
I have that Nintendo 1019 card, and I'm out of space. Is there anything larger out there? I've been out of touch.

That's the largest official Nintendo one you can buy.

Stay far away from 3rd party memory cards.

Mejilan

I had a 1019 3rd party card for like a year before Nintendo released theirs, and had no problems. An Interact one, I think. Still... 1019 isn't enough. :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mejilan said:

no, because frankly, you are the only person on earth with enough Nintendo games to fill it. and before we get 10 other members who contradict me...yes, I'm joking. you're lame too.

but....I don't know if you are willing to buy used, but the local Gamestops in my area never had a proper sku for this item and would sell them for the same price as the 251 (!?!?) Whether this is still the case I don't know, but the price was negligible and I saw them quite often.

Mejilan

I didn't think I'd ever run out, didn't expect it. Booted up into the GCN OS to check out the state of my card (since I haven't checked it out in ages) and bam, only 25 blocks left.

Well, that was before starting Prince of Persia WW, so less now, surely.

Also, I don't think you CAN duplicate saves on most games. Just create a file which gives you X amount of save slots. So it seems, anyway.

Edit - Lame? :( :( :( :(

Edit 2 - IGN says I have 80 GCN games. But I haven't actually played them all, so... I'm really out of space. Blech. I hate juggling multiple cards.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
There's a third-party 2043 block card but if you're going to spend the money on something like that why not just get one of the cards that you can hook up to your PC through USB to back up your saves?

Culex

Banned
Mejilan said:
Edit 2 - IGN says I have 80 GCN games. But I haven't actually played them all, so... I'm really out of space. Blech. I hate juggling multiple cards.

Holy shitcakes!

Mejilan

Fuzzy said:
There's a third-party 2043 block card but if you're going to spend the money on something like that why not just get one of the cards that you can hook up to your PC through USB to back up your saves?

They make those? Link? :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
man, we're here bitching about $99 hard drives but when Nintendo releases a measly 59 memory card, it's all ok. I can't believe Nintendo got away with that shit...59 block, 251 block, 1019 block....and they were suppose to release those SD cards? haha....Nintendo played us all

RE4 takes up like 8 per save 0.o

so if your like me, and saved in differant slots "just incase" then you may want to boot that game up again, and see what saves you dont need anymore :p

Mejilan

Fuzzy said:
I just googled it and it's from Mad Catz.

Thanks. Not sure if it was ever released. Mad Catz's website doesn't even list it, and I cannot find it on sale anywhere. Also, I couldn't find anything on one that backs up saves to PC.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wario64 said:
man, we're here bitching about $99 hard drives but when Nintendo releases a measly 59 memory card, it's all ok. I can't believe Nintendo got away with that shit...59 block, 251 block, 1019 block....and they were suppose to release those SD cards? haha....Nintendo played us all

Yeah your right but the only difference is that Nintendo never hyped up their "memory cards" as a great exclusive feature. Having said that I wonder how much the 3rd party hardrives for 360 will be.

Ristamar

+ 1 vote for "get another 1019." You're fucking crazy going for third party memory cards. I've seen way too many with data corruption problems amongst my friends.

Deku Tree

Why don't you delete some stuff? Got any multiple saves for the same RPG? If so, you probably don't need to keep all of them.

I have a lot of GC games, but I think my card has less than 500 blocks. Mainly due to Nintendo's games requiring fewer blocks (compared to a sports game or something).

Oh, but I should warn you. If you own F-Zero GX, it WILL NOT transfer to another memory card. When I want to play the game, I have to use a different memory card soley for that one game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Get a GameShark Game Saves for the GC... then install the EMS USB driver and dump the CD in the trash. Works like a 1019 memory card, but you can back it up to your PC via a USB cable. I can't find these online at the moment, but most EB stores seem to have one or two in stock... no one bought them, it seems.

They work really well.

Mejilan said:
PAR Special Edition?
Ooops, my bad. I meant Freeloader. They released one with a memory card that had lots amounts of space. It's worked really well.

Y'know, the one thing that Nintendo has one-uped Sony on is bigger memory cards. Both the GC and PS2 initial mem cards were quite small. However Nintendo has released bigger mem cards while Sony, after 5 years, is still using the 8 Meg one:(. I have 2 now, but I liked being able to leave the second one for my PS 1 card.

demi

Funny story

I bought an F-Zero GX hat off e-bay (came part of a package)

It arrived, and turns out there is a zipper on it, for holding small objects (bags of weed, candy, who knows)

I felt the hat, and there was something in that pocket!

So I open it up, and there was a brand spankin new 251 card in it.

It was pretty awesome.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
demi said:
Funny story

I bought an F-Zero GX hat off e-bay (came part of a package)

It arrived, and turns out there is a zipper on it, for holding small objects (bags of weed, candy, who knows)

I felt the hat, and there was something in that pocket!

So I open it up, and there was a brand spankin new 251 card in it.

It was pretty awesome.

Yeah, they gave that away for some F-Zero GX contest. I got one of them too...whoever sold that is a dumbass :p

demi

Wario64 said:
Yeah, they gave that away for some F-Zero GX contest. I got one of them too...whoever sold that is a dumbass :p

Oh, didn't know that.

Free memory card though. Awesome.

Cheerilee

trippingmartian said:
how many megs is a 1019?
Sony's PSone Memory Card was 1 Megabit (1/8 of a MegaByte)
(15 blocks suggests that one block was used for the file system)

The MC59 is 4 Megabits (1/2 MegaByte)
The MC251 is 16 Megabits (2 MegaBytes)
The MC1019 is 64 Megabits (8 MegaBytes)
(all three use a 5-block file system)

Sony's PS2 Memory Card was 8 MegaBytes from day-1, but AFAIK Sony was losing money on it at first, and even tried to raise the MSRP on it at one point (but people bitched, so Sony backed down).

Edit: Also, a "block" on the PSone/GCN is 8 KiloBytes.

miyuru

Synbios459 said:
Ooops, my bad. I meant Freeloader. They released one with a memory card that had lots amounts of space. It's worked really well.

Y'know, the one thing that Nintendo has one-uped Sony on is bigger memory cards. Both the GC and PS2 initial mem cards were quite small. However Nintendo has released bigger mem cards while Sony, after 5 years, is still using the 8 Meg one:(. I have 2 now, but I liked being able to leave the second one for my PS 1 card.

:lol :lol :lol

ruby_onix said:
Sony's PSone Memory Card was 1 Megabit (1/8 of a MegaByte)
(15 blocks suggests that one block was used for the file system)

The MC59 is 4 Megabits (1/2 MegaByte)
The MC251 is 16 Megabits (2 MegaBytes)
The MC1019 is 64 Megabits (8 MegaBytes)
(all three use a 5-block file system)

Sony's PS2 Memory Card was 8 MegaBytes from day-1, but AFAIK Sony was losing money on it at first, and even tried to raise the MSRP on it at one point (but people bitched, so Sony backed down).

Edit: Also, a "block" on the PSone/GCN is 8 KiloBytes.
Informative post. Thanks!

Musashi Wins! said:
but....I don't know if you are willing to buy used, but the local Gamestops in my area never had a proper sku for this item and would sell them for the same price as the 251 (!?!?) Whether this is still the case I don't know, but the price was negligible and I saw them quite often.

I just bought a 1019 about 2 weeks ago for the 251 price this way. I think it was $7.99. Great deal if you can still get in on it. :)

Jeff-DSA

I really hate the crappy GCN memory cards. I have two 1019's plugged in and just last week I had to delete older saves to make room for Madden 2006 saves.

Speevy

Banned
The first problem is buying the GCN version of any EA sports game. I know Tiger Woods uses two disks. I'm not sure about Madden though.

nightez

Banned
Mejilan said:
I have the datel mega memory USB card, which you can back up on your pc. Its the largest memory card availible for Gamecube and you can back upyour saves. I never run out space now.
I recommend.

Jeff-DSA

Speevy said:
The first problem is buying the GCN version of any EA sports game. I know Tiger Woods uses two disks. I'm not sure about Madden though.

Yeah, I end up getting them for the Cube because my dad and brother only have GameCubes. I like to be able to practice on the Cube before playing them. I did buy Madden on the Xbox last year for online play though.

Btw, Madden is one disc on the Cube, but yeah, haing Tiger on two discs is irritating. I don't think I'll get it on the Cube next month regardless of what my dad and brother do.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
God Damn. I have around 20 GC games, and I still have around 60 blocks on the 251 that I got when I first got my Gamecube.

I Still have 3,500 KBs on my only PS2 memory card with slightly more games.

Even when I had ESPN NFL and ESPN NHL 2K5, I still had 1000 KBs left on it!

Having few sports games FTW.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've got 26 games and there are more than 90 blocks left on my 251 memory card. My Mario&Sonic card (Memo 59) hopefully will have enough space for Sonic Gems and Shadow. So, if you don't buy crappy EA games there's space for a shitload of games on a 251. Probably I'm gonna buy a 1019 Memory Card for a bunch of Ubi Soft games I missed.

Ristamar

Jeff-DSA said:
I really hate the crappy GCN memory cards. I have two 1019's plugged in and just last week I had to delete older saves to make room for Madden 2006 saves.

Yeah, those EA Sports saves can be rough. My Live '04 franchise and Madden '05 franchise probably take up around half the space on teh card.

Top Bottom