• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

Carm

Corto said:
Everyday Shooter has gamepad support. Not on the menus though ;)

There are two posts in the Steam forum for the game that complain about the 360 controller not working or not analog.

From the IGN review
Second, the game doesn't appear to support analog movement with gamepad thumbsticks (only 8-way), which it does in the PlayStation Network version. It's still entirely playable, but hardcore shooter fans might be turned off by this.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
mrgone said:
Giant Bomb quicklook of Garshasp! It's definitely low-rent God of War (shamelessly so). It's far from the worst thing I've played but further from the best. I like it for $2.50 :) From what I've read Lume is supposed to be very short. Hopefully it's short and sweet! The art style's lovely.
That helped, thank you :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Another recommendation:

Winter Voices has an unbelievably interesting story concept if you are able to overlook or even embrace its slow movement/pacing.

WV33.jpg

You arent fighting any monsters in this RPG, but your own fears, hate and sorrows. Most of the time you cant even fight them, only escaping is an option. One ally you could summon is a "fairy tale" or the healing spell is called "consolation".
It definitely seems to have some problems but its really something worth experiencing if you dont need to have action in your games 24/7. I am enjoying it, read this review to see more of what its about:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/18/wot-i-think-winter-voices-avalanche/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
elektrixx said:
I think Shatter is overrated, mainly by IGN.

It's just Breakout with some gimmick.

Its not a bad game, though. But there are probably about 20 games alone in this thread that deserve sales more than shatter.

Reposting because like I like NES games and you should too.

PixyJunket said:
One more recommendation from me before bed.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/92300/

header_292x136.jpg

A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda reminds me a lot of the various Mega Man clones that came out at the height on the NES's popularity. Ya know, stuff like The Kiron Conquest and Darkwing Duck. It's not going to knock the king off of his throne, but if you dig the style, it's completely worth picking up. It's also very much an NES game in that you can beat it in one sitting. But the game has a lot of achievements and unlockables that give it a bit of replayability. Plus, there's a bonus item you can buy with tickets that basically gives you an extra in-game character (you can switch on the fly, but it's a new visual armor plus an exclusive weapon).

It's $4.99 for the duration of the sale. It runs nice at 1920x1080 60 frames per second and has excellent 360 controller integration.

I just ran through a game of it, thinking I'd just get the ticket achievement and call it a night, but I spent a few hours going through the whole game. And I'm pretty much thinking of going back to it tomorrow to try for some of the challenges or give it a hard mode run.

WARNING: A LARGE SCREENSHOT APPROACHES:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...e655d14d827a30538d75efa3682a89e.1920x1080.jpg

AEREC

fokkusu said:

I can only imagine the backlash if EA did something like this in today's games.

I wonder how some people took it when Monkey Island came out, though I realize it fits in more with it's light hearted nature, and the industry didnt feel as "corporate" back then as it does now.

Imagine playing Dragon Age 2 and running into an elf advertising Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed in game.

IrishNinja

LiK said:
just bought the Lucasarts pack. only played Indy FoA in there. man, when is Day of the Tentacle gonna be available.

same day as Maniac Mansion, and Grim Fandango.
i've no doubt GOG's gone after the holy grail of adventure gaming, and one day when they get it, ill wake up to a glorious 10 page thread here on GAF, and promptly empty my pants wallet.

AEREC

IrishNinja said:
same day as Maniac Mansion, and Grim Fandango.
i've no doubt GOG's gone after the holy grail of adventure gaming, and one day when they get it, ill wake up to a glorious 10 page thread here on GAF, and promptly empty my pants wallet.

Dont forget Full Throttle.

Mr_Zombie

AEREC said:
I can only imagine the backlash if EA did something like this in today's games.

I wonder how some people took it when Monkey Island came out, though I realize it fits in more with it's light hearted nature, and the industry didnt feel as "corporate" back then as it does now.

Well, the game also said that you should never pay more than $20 for a game ;)

Also, like you said, thanks to the light hearted nature of Monkey Island it was taken as a joke breaking the 4th wall, and not a serious ad. When I was playing the game, I didn't even know that The Loom was a real game ;).

Volcynika

chixdiggit said:
How difficult is the game? Mega Man always infuriated me with it's difficulty.

It's not really that hard at all. I beat it pretty quickly, there are only a few spots that may provide any difficulty.

la_briola

How is the Steam version of Jagged Alliance 2 Gold? Works on Win7? No bugs whatsoever?

edit: Wikipedia says
As of July 2006 it is available via the Steam content delivery system, as well as Turner Broadcasting's GameTap. This version has a bug which causes the player to have infinite money rendering financial strategy irrelevant. Unfinished Business contains a bug which results in the player being unable to save his or her progress. Strategy First has acknowledged the issues but has failed to provide a fix.
is this still true?

1-D_FTW

Considering some of the games on that list, no excuse for Beat Hazard and Nimbus to be missing. Sure, neither game is 75 percent off, but they're still much better buys than some of those.

coopolon

1-D_FTW said:
Considering some of the games on that list, no excuse for Beat Hazard and Nimbus to be missing. Sure, neither game is 75 percent off, but they're still much better buys than some of those.

I think she is only focusing on games that were not dailies since presumably anyone who wanted a game that was a daily already got it.

chixdiggit said:
How difficult is the game? Mega Man always infuriated me with it's difficulty.
There's a normal and hard difficulty. Normal was a breeze to me (but I am quite experienced in old school games). If you pick up the little items that drop from enemies you are able to constantly craft repair pods to heal yourself at any time during the game, so even if you get smashed pretty badly, you can pretty much heal yourself a lot.

1-D_FTW

coopolon said:
I think she is only focusing on games that were not dailies since presumably anyone who wanted a game that was a daily already got it.

Ah. But Nimbus was never a daily. It's true that it's featured today in the achievements, but it's been 50 percent off the entire time.

I had 9 friends who played it before yesterday and it's still at 9 after being achievement featured. Just a cool little game that everyone should at least watch the trailer for.

unagisensei said:
Anyone pick up Lume? The art style has me intrigued but I haven't see it mentioned at all besides in the OP. Thoughts?

I didn't like it at all. It looks very nice, but it's one of those puzzle-y adventure that doesn't give any clues or context as to its very obscure solutions. And it's very, very short. Like less than a half-hour short. I'd recommend avoiding it.

coopolon

1-D_FTW said:
Ah. But Nimbus was never a daily. It's true that it's featured today in the achievements, but it's been 50 percent off the entire time.

I had 9 friends who played it before yesterday and it's still at 9 after being achievement featured. Just a cool little game that everyone should at least watch the trailer for.

Yah, I think she just forgot about Nimbus but she made an additional post about it here.

Leatherface

Unless something amazing happens this last day of the Steam sale, I think my final $10 is going to:

header_292x136.jpg

IndieJones said:
Posted this in the Official Thread and thought it would go well here too:

Drakensang: The River of Time is ten dollars and is coincidentally exactly that many times better than Dragon Age 2.

**Special thanks to IndieJones for posting the link to the Drakensang thread that made me log into Steam, clear my cart of the 4 games that were ready to be purchased, and add Drakensang: The River of Time instead.

For $10 I think it would be a crime NOT to buy this! :x

1-D_FTW

coopolon said:
Yah, I think she just forgot about Nimbus but she made an additional post about it here.

I see. And she shows appropriate enthusiasm for it. Nevermind. It's too bad it got left out of the OP since I'm sure a lot of people won't look at the middle of the thread.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nice deals on Eschalon Book I & II. Definitely worth checking out for old school rpg fans.

epmode

EviLore said:
Nice deals on Eschalon Book I & II. Definitely worth checking out for old school rpg fans.
I'm picking them up too. I'd love to see all of those independent RPGs on Steam! Avadon, Geneforge, etc. I've always been interested but those prices are a little steep.

domlolz

Banned
Shatter may just be a 'breakout clone' but it's one of the best breakout clones

I like the sound of Nimbus but somebody mentioned that it has similarities with Super Meat Boy which I really really didn't like, is there any truth to this?

1-D_FTW

domlolz said:
I like the sound of Nimbus but somebody mentioned that it has similarities with Super Meat Boy which I really really didn't like, is there any truth to this?

No. But try the demo if you're unsure. It's a ton easier. For comparisons sake, I've yet to get past the boss in the first world in SMB and I'm not sure I'll ever force myself to do it.

I've seen a gaffer complain he can't adjust to how the ship inverts when you hit a pad, but that's something a demo play would reveal to you. I've had no issues with it.

Toma

Anyone remember Crimsonland? Pick up Nation Red if you liked it, it basically plays like Crimsonland 2.

Excellent thread giving some much deserved love to the indie and small development games out there.

Picked up Magicka, Aquaria, and Torchlight this Steam sale. I think as the sales happen, I will be getting more and more games like this since I've already purchased most of the "big releases" already. And honestly, Jamestown is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. Torchlight is what I expected, which is not a bad thing. Magicka is great, and Aquaria looks awesome, but I was having trouble with some of the colors in that game (red-green color blind and some of the colors on the song wheel blend together really easily)

PBalfredo

Toma said:
Anyone remember Crimsonland? Pick up Nation Red if you liked it, it basically plays like Crimsonland 2.
Oh God, you just had to go and say that. I've installed Crimsonland several times then later uninstalled it as many times just so I could get work down. Don't tempt me with this!

EDIT: Wrong thread, so i'll just chip some recommendations

- Jolly Rover is not very polished but very fun, certainly worst written but more entertaining than TLJ
- Greed Corp, buy it if you like pretty boardgames
- Flotilla and Atom Zombie Smasher are some of the most fun I had this year, from the official Flotilla thread

j9pqmv.jpg

Sysgen

+_1 for And Yet it Moves. Got it in an indie pack last year. The summer ticket thing got me to play it. The achievement was pretty early on but I kept playing. I'm not even a fan of platformers but the game just sold me. Even wrote a review for it:

Unique platformer with a "twist". Unique in both art form and mechanics. Mechanics though simple nicely complement level design. Started playing for the ticket but it kept my attention. KB/Mouse and controller support with remapping ability. A good couple of hours of challenge for the $2.50 summer sale asking price. Ability to replay levels or speedrun against other leaderboard times.

Firehead

Right, since no one has mentioned it, I suppose I'll have to.

Buy Harvest: Massive Encounter
It's $2.50 for a really awesome tower defense / RTS game that throws hundreds of thousands of enemies at you. Which, you can combat with just as many weapons and whatnot.

EviLore said:
I just don't see how I hadn't found out about those games before the sale.

Toma

PBalfredo said:
Oh God, you just had to go and say that. I've installed Crimsonland several times then later uninstalled it as many times just so I could get work down. Don't tempt me with this!

nation-red3.jpg

screenshot1.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I just "finished" a Robin game of "The Path" and holy shit people, play this game. Some memorable scenes and a LOT of feeling right there. Damn I really have to understand what just happened now, is it "continuing" the story as you explore with other characters, or is it all about the feeling?

Spoiler on my first "walkthrough":
Chose Robin, and obviously walked around in the forest (after "failing" first), found a huge lot of stuff, didn't unterstand what to do with "Robin's Circus" or something, on the second time visiting the graveyard I hugged (?) the wolf, then he walked me to the white tree, howled, fade out.

Next scene, one (as it appears) seriously unstable Robin walked to the house, found a grave instead of a bed, some intense shit happens,
SUCCESS.

Wat?

Awesome game. Then again, I REALLY liked Endless Forest from Tale of Tales, it's kinda similar, but The Path has more 'gamey' aspects to it.

plc268

epmode said:
I'm picking them up too. I'd love to see all of those independent RPGs on Steam! Avadon, Geneforge, etc. I've always been interested but those prices are a little steep.

I really wish that they could get Avadon on steam at a $10-15 price point. I think it would sell pretty well actually.

But from this link, it looks like it got rejected on steam. It's a shame.

Also another shame is how Gemini Rue got rejected from being on steam. It's almost insulting that you have legitimately good games being rejected from steam, but then there's some pure shit games that get on. Oh well.

1-D_FTW said:
I've seen a gaffer complain he can't adjust to how the ship inverts when you hit a pad, but that's something a demo play would reveal to you. I've had no issues with it.

You're probably referring to me. I actually don't have that problem anymore now that I play the game with a 360 controller. I used to use the keyboard, and my problem was that when the orientation switched, it was like my fingers were getting tied up in a knot. With a thumbstick it's much easier to maneuver, IMO.

Top Bottom