• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

Yanksfan

Epic thread. I somehow managed to not pick up any of the daily deals, but then this thread led me to pick up:

• Syberia Bundle
  • Still Life Bundle
  • Shatter
  • Broken Sword Triple Pack
  • Longest Journey + Dreamfall pack
  • Terraria
  • Zenbound 2
  • Tiny Bang Story
  • VVVVV

I am pumped to get this level of gaming for a pittance of a price.

I could not talk myself into pulling the trigger on Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines or The Whispered World. I will wait and see how cheap they are in the next sale while I plug my way through all of that.

shintoki said:
The big one I've been thinking of all week. Any impressions on Nation Red
I didn't even know I had this game until I tried to go for the ticket and it's actually pretty good and it has local and online co-op.

Salsa

Schmattakopf said:
I didn't even know I had this game until I tried to go for the ticket and it's actually pretty good and it has local and online co-op.

not to mention the fact that many people think its 2-player co-op only; its not. They added 4 player co-op on a patch, like with Sanctum.

There's a reason why it has a fourpack.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I might try to reply with more impressions and a bigger list later, but for now I just want to say that I absolutely cannot say enough good things about Galcon Fusion. I've put 21 hours into it so far, and I find it's a game I keep coming back to, even after months away. Other games have a "rise and fall" with me, but Galcon I keep coming back to.

GDJustin said:
I absolutely cannot say enough good things about Galcon Fusion. I've put 21 hours into it so far, and I find it's a game I keep coming back to, even after months away. Other games have a "rise and fall" with me, but Galcon I keep coming back to.
This game is amazing. I haven't touched it for a while but I've put about 25 hours into it. I mean, for 5.00 or whatever the price is, the single-player would be good enough. But then it has multiplayer, too, and it's profound.

japtor

Mr_Zombie said:
I disagree with you. While the original Beat Hazard is quite boring (it's a nice MP3 visualizer with a game attached to it, though ;)), the DLC really improves the gameplay and makes it much more enjoyable. Of course the game still depends on your mp3 library.
That's kind of a big crutch, and probably part of why he thinks it's weak for score attack. The more core variables you insert into a setup, like however many hundreds or thousands of different songs/levels people are playing with in the case of music generated stuff, the more you fragment and dilute the competition. It's fine for besting your scores on your own music (and just pure random variety) but it's not so good for competing with others.

(Random and procedural generation also spits on the art of actual level design but it deserves credit cause it has its own merits and challenges to overcome at least)
Lkr said:
I've played Flight Control on the iPod and it was fun. I feel like it would be more fun on a larger screen with a mouse though. Does it get very boring quickly or is it worth the money? Yes, I'm that much of a cheapskate(poor college student)
I think it'd be kind of obnoxious to play with a mouse when there's 20+ planes on screen. I'm sure it'd still be fun (if you liked it before, you'll probably still like it now), just maybe a bit frustrating once you have higher amounts of planes to handle.

Obviously for a better bigger screen experience you should buy an iPad and play that version. Or at least touchscreen/Cintiq for your computer. You'd be less poor and could afford those things if you didn't have to pay tuition, just drop out.

C-Drive

SalsaShark: I'm personally letting you know this thread wasn't a good idea for my wallet plans tomorrow.

Nimbus, Eversion, Red Orchestra, Shatter? Which two will join Vampire in tearing away the remainder of my Steam wallet? Or will the Bioshocks (if they return) be the ones helping Bloodlines out?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I like Hammerfight a lot, it's sooo russian. Very strange gem.

Bentendo

Basileus777 said:
What does Sword and Soldiers HD play like? Is it more of a strategy or an action game?

Complete strategy. Was my most played WiiWare game and I'm probably going to double dip for the PC version before the sale is over.

Oreoleo

alraydius said:
Nimbus, Eversion, Red Orchestra, Shatter? Which two will join Vampire in tearing away the remainder of my Steam wallet? Or will the Bioshocks (if they return) be the ones helping Bloodlines out?

Shatter has to be one of them. Great game.

LProtag

I fear for my wallet tomorrow.

I'd like to say all I'll get is the GSB complete pack and the LucasArts Adventure pack... but who knows.

gdt

Probably gonna get

CreaVures
TLJ pack
Puzzle Agent 1/2
Aquaria

All good games? Is there anything else I should take a look at?

Greed corp is a great game, I played it on PSN so I assume the PC version is just as good. Easily worth 2.50 if you are a fan of turn based strategy games ala Advanced Wars or boardgames.

plc268

alraydius said:
SalsaShark: I'm personally letting you know this thread wasn't a good idea for my wallet plans tomorrow.

Skip Red Orchestra. It's very punishing to newbies, and with a new one coming soon, the game will be even more of a ghost town than it already is.

Buttonbasher said:
Yeah, The Longest Journey makes my PC crash every single time. I've tried just about everything across various message boards. Shame, I've heard so many good things. Just complete lock ups, and a few BSoD's even.

I think it has to do with it only running at 640x480. Running Windowed with everything disabled didn't work either.
Alright. Found a fix. To anyone else that has this issue on XP adding this to your Preference.ini (found in C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USER NAME>\Application Data\The Longest Journey)

Add This to Preference.ini said:
DirectX]
GfxDriver=display
int_BitDepth=32
bool_IsDoubleBuffer=0
bool_UseHardware=0
bool_StartFullscreen=1
bool_ForceSingleBuffer=1
Works in both fullscreen and windowed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EternalGamer said:
It doesn't work very good with the 360 controller.

Actually, if you are feeling lazy, it is way easier to play with the keyboard and mouse, as surprising as that sounds. Just WSAD move and right and left click your hearts content to bash away on stuff.

The controller support is kinda busted. You can't run with the left analog, only d-pad or right analog. And R-click is bring up menu for some weird reason.

I almost always prefer controller for these types of games, but I started enjoying it way more when I switched to keyboard and mouse. I'm about 3 hours in and I am having a lot of fun on easy difficulty.
Uhh in the config tool there is an option to switch the sticks.

The pad works perfectly fine.

LProtag

GDJustin said:
I might try to reply with more impressions and a bigger list later, but for now I just want to say that I absolutely cannot say enough good things about Galcon Fusion. I've put 21 hours into it so far, and I find it's a game I keep coming back to, even after months away. Other games have a "rise and fall" with me, but Galcon I keep coming back to.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

...it's in my cart now.

C-Drive

plc268 said:
Skip Red Orchestra. It's very punishing to newbies, and with a new one coming soon, the game will be even more of a ghost town than it already is.

Thanks for the info on Red Orchestra...it made me notice it lacked single-player. I can't enjoy any multi-player action due to my at-home internet connection. I drag my desktop to another location just to download games. Then I spend time later on pausing all the updates as they come in. Then I lose the ability to play updating in-progress games. Good thing I bought a ton this time around.

Orellio said:
Shatter has to be one of them. Great game.

I'll probably go with Shatter depending on tomorrow's sales. Eversion for the other pick. Looking at Nimbus, I'm not sure I want another puzzleish game right now. Maybe come Winter sale-time.

_Isaac

Basileus777 said:
Darksiders was $5 earlier in the sale. Check tomorrow to see if it's one of the repeat sales.

Yeah, but I didn't buy it immediately, and I just forgot. Ugh. Hopefully, it repeats.

Oreoleo

alraydius said:
I'll probably go with Shatter depending on tomorrow's sales. Eversion for the other pick. Looking at Nimbus, I'm not sure I want another puzzleish game right now. Maybe come Winter sale-time.

Nimbus I could take or leave. It's not a bad game by any means but I feel like it wears thin kinda quick.

Salsa

Orellio said:
Nimbus I could take or leave. It's not a bad game by any means but I feel like it wears thin kinda quick.

nooOOoOoOOOOO buy Nimbus, it is amazing. As the ruler of this thread i command you.

Veitsev

shintoki said:
I've decided to pick up a few, but only the ones that are 66%-75% off. I don't want to load up on the 50% off ones, when I'm not going play most of them.

List so far. And please make a suggestion or two.
Shatter
Toki Tori
Gary's Mod
Greed Corp

Ones I'll pick up either when I make room and they go down next big sale.
The Void
Nimbus
Altitude

The big one I've been thinking of all week. Any impressions on Nation Red

Nation Red
<--- Click Me

Total Biscuit has actually reviewed quite a few of the games in this thread. Worth looking into his WTF is ? series to help you decide on certain titles.

sillymonkey321 said:
What's the consensus on the first Drakensang game? It's also on sale for $6.79.

The first Drakensang game is okay, but the first third of the game is pretty dull. The second game is actually a prequel so no real knowledge of the first is necessary. Drakensang 1 is based off of an actual pen and paper RPG system so there are lots of skills and character customization, but it just doesn't have the oomph of River of Time.

Of course, if you want to go waaaaaay back, the mid-nineties PC game trilogy "Realms of Arkania" is based off the same p'n'p game.

Picked up the Void and Portal 2 the last hours thanks to this thread. I would have bought so much more this sale if I weren't so short on money. Thread also reminds me I have to finish Dreamfall 1. Had it since forever and have never finished it even though the longest journey is among my favorite games. Also, for those who have never played the Broken Sword games that pack is the shit. Broken Sword 1 is amazing. God I wish I had money. I would have been all over some of the daily deals this sale.

alraydius said:
Nimbus is far from a puzzler. it's pure action/racing with some awesome platformer elements.

Owzers

as my first random non-daily deal purchase, i chose:

The Longest Journey - $2.49

i've never played it, though i don't really like adventure games, i'll give it a try on my sandy bridge intel hd 3000 laptop since i'm looking for more games for it :p

Error_g

I haven't seen anybody give Dwarfs!? any love but I picked it up on a whim during the sale and have really enjoyed it. Though it's certainly not the same as Minecraft or Terraria it has some of those elements with high scores thrown it.

If it looks interesting to you at all, at least check out the demo.

Jomjom

Banned
Please let me win the 10 games from my wishlist because i just spent what little i had left on the Broken Sword triple pack.

Card Boy

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
GAMES YOU SHOULDN'T BUY - LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES

Do not buy Jolly Rover. I guess I got it in one of the indie Christmas sale bundles? I played it to earn a summer camp ticket because I am stupid. By the third puzzle the lead character is mouthing off about how stupidly nonsensical the puzzle solutions are, which is a very, very bad sign. "Sometimes I don't understand why I do the things I do!" It's like this. Except it's from 2010 or something. I'm not nuts about the new Telltale adventure games but they are many times better than Jolly Rover.

^ Do not listen to this guy.

coopolon said:
Zeno Clash is a frustrating game because the devs seemed to not understand what was good about the game and decided to add in a bunch of terrible stuff rather than just focus on the good stuff for the entire game. Most of the fist fights are really fun. The world is crazy in a good way. Why did they have to throw in a boring/nonsensical adventure/story and terrible shooting? And why do you have to fight everyone twice?
This is my experience summarized. The story is just dull, mostly because for as weird as the world is the game decides to forward the plot through info-dump talking. I probably have less than an hour to go and it's still hard to summon the will to beat it.

Fortix: The description (from the devs) is terrible. Reverse TD? It's a Qix clone with a couple gimmicks. I haven't played the sequel but the first one (which I probably paid no more than $2) lasted me a couple hours of amusement.

LProtag

How are The Dig and Loom?

I loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as a kid, never got to play the other Indiana Jones game but I hear it's just as good, so I might as well get the pack. Will I probably enjoy these as well? It's not like I lose any money, just curious as to the reception of them.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
InsertNameHere said:

I loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as a kid, never got to play the other Indiana Jones game but I hear it's just as good, so I might as well get the pack. Will I probably enjoy these as well? It's not like I lose any money, just curious as to the reception of them.

The Dig is as good as an 70's Spielberg movie and Loom is fun if a bit hard at times, but nothing a FAQ can't fix.

Salsa

InsertNameHere said:

Loom shows its age, but its still a great game.

THE DIG IS FUCKING AMAZING AHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG

Benedict

I found this and thought it might be interesting for the thread.

Saira, a game by the man behind Knytt and Within A Deep Forest, Nifflas (Nicklas Nygren)

It's on sale for 75% at €2.25/$2.50/£2.00 at Steam

Worth it?

ss_8a5437d809eadfdf77ca31f319e21e86e1a0598a.600x338.jpg

ss_03a648f5f27c9404cd59e18969301dc68374013c.600x338.jpg

ss_8d86ab3ab7c0d2f3c2e5040ae9bbf1ec18eadb98.600x338.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
InsertNameHere said:

The Dig is exemplary and Loom is very nice. They've aged very well for adventure games imo.

LProtag

Rad. Have to get that LucasArts pack then. Though I'll probably go for a replay of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis first, it's been ages since I've played it and it's probably my favorite adventure game.

Caerith

InsertNameHere said:

kinoki said:
The Dig is as good as an 70's Spielberg movie and Loom is fun if a bit hard at times, but nothing a FAQ can't fix.
SalsaShark said:
THE DIG IS FUCKING AMAZING AHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG
Pretty much what they said.

Top Bottom