• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Gen Games That Should Be Remembered and Never Forgotten. "...The Order: 1886"

Im a PC gamer, but when my PC died i grabbed a ps4. it's crazy to think that a console exclusive like The Order, which came out so early in the last generation still looks gorgeous today. i would gladly love to see it ported to PC.

Are there other games you feel that you will never forget last gen?

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
One of the most underrated titles of the last gen, it has flaws of course, but the story, characters, world and visuals deserve a sequel, I wish they were given more time or tried something different in terms of level design but it was no worse than your typical cover shooter.

Not many games have beaten The Order 1886 visually on console to this date, shit looks great!

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It had potential, but the story really got bogged down toward the middle and the end. And the cliffhanger climax felt incredibly rushed. It's a shame. The world they build in the beginning seems so interesting. It's pretty downhill after the airship. It really didn't need the plot twist and probably suffered for it.

Last edited:

trikster40

If people hadn't given the game so much grief over the letterbox presentation, it would have done better. It didn’t bother me in the least. Loved the game, hoping it comes back in some shape or form.

S73v3

Banned
The game had 3 actual fun good shootouts, needed like at least 15 more. Also a lot of the non human enemy encounters felt unfinished as fuck and they were reused lmao. Shame, but it deserved the hate.

Last edited:
I liked some parts of the Order but I think the game is really forgettable. I wish it become more fleshed out, but the characters were dull in my opinion, so I won't lose sleep over having no sequel.

ZoukGalaxy

This game is an underrated masterpiece, a sequel would have definitively revealed its potential.
The universe is incredible, the artbook just show how much work have been put into this and that always made to be an IP.
Sadly, it was review bombed. They made mistakes for sure, but it was NOT deserved to be hated at this level. It was free hate.
Meanwhile empty backpack simulator game like "Death Stranding" got free pass because, you know, *Kojima*. What a joke.
Yes, I'm mad. I LOVE this game and wanted to play the sequel which the end clearly suggested.
What a waste of potential...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If people hadn't given the game so much grief over the letterbox presentation, it would have done better. It didn’t bother me in the least. Loved the game, hoping it comes back in some shape or form.

This wasn't the issue with the game at all. It was the lack of a strong narrative. The story had all the basics in place to be good, but the dev team fumbled the ball. Plus the gameplay wasn't good.

RareJordan

I completed the game back in the day, and even got the platinum trophy. But for the life of me, I cannot remember anything about it. All I remember is a guy with a mustache, and werewolves? It was forgettable to me. Maybe it was good, but it didn’t leave any lasting impression.

Boss Mog

And they did this on the base PS4, never forget that. Every piece of footage Naughty Dog has shown for TLOU2 has been PS4 Pro footage. A shame RAD are owned by Oculus now.It would've been amazing seeing what they could've done with PS5 hardware. The Order ended right as things were getting interesting and felt like the story was just starting, a shame we won't know how it ends. If they had added a co-op campaign in the sequel Sony would've had a Gears rival. Sony should've bought them.

farmerboy

You know RAD got a lot of flak for the game but Sony did produce and market the hell out of it. I think Sony deserves more criticism for letting this one out of the gate in the state it was. When it failed critically they let RAD hang for it.

Great premise that delivered technically but fell short on mechanics and gameplay.

Sad that Ready At Dawn isn't part of Sony second party anymore.
Was really hoping for Order 1887.

I bought Order 1886 for less than 10€ and for that price it was really good third person shooter and an easy platinum.
The story, characters, graphics were awesome and the weapons felt good (tesla gun was 💥)

The flaws are already mentioned thousand times.

Edit. Also too bad that the game didn't receive any PS4 Pro update that would remove the letterboxes.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
I actually really enjoyed the game and a lot of stuff people criticized didn't bother me.
For example, they said the stealth sections were bad and unfair, I kinda breezed through them without them sticking out.
It had some issues like the stupid werewolf fights though.

But the rest was great. Loved the setting, the characters, the world. Enjoyed the combat and the story. Visually spectacular.

It's great for one playthrough. But even only going back to some sections for the easy plat was a chore. Like, the pacing is so... Deliberate that I can't imagine replaying it.

Would LOVE a successor on PS5.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Im a PC gamer, but when my PC died i grabbed a ps4. it's crazy to think that a console exclusive like The Order, which came out so early in the last generation still looks gorgeous today. i would gladly love to see it ported to PC.

Are there other games you feel that you will never forget last gen?

i play it in discount and i really like it... its just what i say you guys.

NEVER LISTEN TO STUPID GAMING REVIEWS.

I dont get the hate or the low score, for me is a good game.

TexMex

Honestly I never understood why The Order was held up as some gold standard for what it means to be a disappointment, beyond people upset at how short it was. I thought it was totally fine. Looks great (still) and the shooting feels good.

SebastianM

Loved this game, yeah some elements were a bit cliche but it's a solid SP shooter. I really didn't get why it got so much flak when a game like Gears keeps the same gameplay mechanics straight out of 2006 and still gets positive reviews.

Last edited:

I got the Order for like 5 bucks and loved the theme of the game. Could have been longer and more varied but I liked it for what it was.

Mediocre and to many qte's also way to expensive at launch for how short it was, but hey thats just my opinion

Last edited:
I remember buying this game for just $20 back in 2018, and never finished it until a few weeks ago. Glad I get to play it on my LG CX yet I was shocked on how short it was.

Fbh

One of the most disappointing games of the gen. It looked like such a cool new IP, with awesome visuals and art direction and a really cool concept and setting.
But it was just a glorified tech demo. It felt like a game where they spent so much time on the visuals they hardly had any time or budget to build a compelling game around them

Last edited:
Actually playing this right now. The gunplay is solid but I wish it had more weight. If it had co op I think it would have done better. Mind blowing visuals though. It’s like a half decade old and stands with other PS4 graphical showcases. It’s a shame. Another year in the oven and it could have been a solid PS version of Gears. Damn shame

This game is an underrated masterpiece, a sequel would have definitively revealed its potential.
The universe is incredible, the artbook just show how much work have been put into this and that always made to be an IP.
Sadly, it was review bombed. They made mistakes for sure, but it was NOT deserved to be hated at this level. It was free hate.
Meanwhile empty backpack simulator game like "Death Stranding" got free pass because, you know, *Kojima*. What a joke.
Yes, I'm mad. I LOVE this game and wanted to play the sequel which the end clearly suggested.
What a waste of potential...

Despite what people say. The game was an absolute masterpiece and I'm lad that I paid $60 for it on launch day.
The 16:9 aspect ration was so sick and the story, characters and atmosphere were unbelievable.
People say the gameplay was bad but it really wasn't. It's basically the same as Uncharted 4 with a couple missing features.
I can't tell you how many times I'e played this game. Probably about 5 or 6 and it's worth every penny, every time.

Sony really fucked up not acquiring Ready at Dawn as a first party studio. As a more fleshed out sequel would have had a bigger debut than Uncharted 2 IMO.
But there is still a chance. Just hire them through Facebook gaming like they hired Insomniac for Spiderman.
This game NEEDS a sequel, especially since the "hooded" figure is rumored to be King Arthur.
He NEEDS to recruit SIr Gallahad to reclaim the The Order of the Round Table!

Magog.

Banned
I was also a fan of the game. They did a few things wrong and it was probably rushed given irs length though. The QTEs in combat took away your agency and made fights with werewolves less interesting than they could have been. The exploration sections should have had a run or at least "walk faster" button. The game was too short. When you were allowed to try out your guns they were really fun and interesting but obviously Sony wanted something for the launch window and so it was rushed to completion. It should have been twice the length. Sony really messed up by not acquiring or at least contracting Ready At Dawn. They went on to create some of the most well received VR games for Oculus and Sony could have used that for PSVR. Now RAD is owned by Facebook which is a real shame as I'll never play another RAD game again.

gojira96

Loved the game, and still wish for a sequel. What killed it was the pricing. Had it been adequate for the length of the game, it'd be a stronger IP. The universe it's set in is great, and would offer many possibilities going forward.

ethomaz

Banned
Great potential in story in gameplay.

Basically delivered in a half-backed demo.
Story starts at the last part of the game making your console didn't downloaded the full game.
Gameplay lacks dynamic and enemies... weapons and recoil/feedback was good even if few weaspons.
Pace is ridiculous low for a no-story.
There is only one boss.
There is basically no boss fighting... just a weird QTE in the single boss.

I paid $4 I believe... so it was worth for a demo.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Loved the game, and still wish for a sequel. What killed it was the pricing. Had it been adequate for the length of the game, it'd be a stronger IP. The universe it's set in is great, and would offer many possibilities going forward.

The price dropped pretty quickly I don't think launching it at a lower price would have improved the reception. It just needed another year of development to make it long enough to give you time to enjoy the experience.

ethomaz

Banned
Just the price?

- No enemy variety
- Near to no boss
- Bad pace
- No story
- No ending

I can continue.
It was basically a Telltale Game without story development.

And people said to me Shadown Fall, Ryse and Knack were bad lol

Last edited:
The game took four hours to platinum, had a garbage story, no pacing at all, and virtually no player agency. The combat was extremely generic and bare bones. The only positive it had was the graphics, but when it basically makes the game on rails, are the graphics really that big a deal?

My favorite two parts are when the female love interest gets hurt and the game tries to make you worry about her... but we’d already seen at the start of the game in a flashback that she is perfectly fine.

And then when you’re assaulting the shipping company and you have a group of AI people with you and they just sit in the windows doing nothing, completely blocking all of your shots.

Top Bottom