• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(LATIMES) Hollywood downloads a post-DVD future, longer waits for movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

sk3 said:
I remember when VHS movies were $100-$200 while they were only available for rent at blockbuster, etc. That is never coming back, as much as these terrible companies want it to.
They don't want that back. They want the everybody-buying-cheap-DVDs time back, but nowadays people don't give a shit about having a box and are therefore moving towards subscription services or piracy.

Theatrical Realease -> Blu-ray and Expensive Video on Demand -> Cheap subscription services.

That's the way it's going to work in the future. Consumers want more than what they can have: people that don't care about watching the latest movies will have a subscription and watch movies later, everybody else should pay a premium. There's a reason you can't go to an all-you-can-eat-haute-cuisine-buffet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DEO3 said:
The longer they take to get their movies to people, the more likely people will choose to pirate them instead. If the industry truly wants to make piracy a thing of the past, then they need to make access to their content more easily accessible, not less.

Staggered worldwide releases are a big part of this. For example, consider Hanna:

- R5 rips hit the 'net approximately 2 months before the film begins its theatrical run here in Australia
- DVD & BD rips hit the 'net as the film's theatrical run approaches the end
- Having pre-ordered the LE BD (as well as a physical copy of the soundtrack because it's amazing) from Amazon UK in August, the package arrived at the beginning of this month, and as of today it still doesn't have a solid release date here.

RJT

JaseC said:
Staggered worldwide releases are a big part of this. For example, consider Hanna:

- R5 rips hit the 'net approximately 2 months before the film begins its theatrical run here in Australia
- DVD & BD rips hit the 'net as the film's theatrical run approaches the end
- Having pre-ordered the LE BD (as well as a physical copy of the soundtrack because it's amazing) from Amazon UK in August, the package arrived at the beginning of this month, and as of today it still doesn't have a solid release date here.
This is where consumers are absolutely right to complain. There is not a single reason why, in the 21st century, movies are months behind in some regions. It costs companies millions of dollars of lost revenues, and increases their marketing costs: since my main source of information is the Internet, I'm constantly being sold movies I can't see...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RJT said:
This is where consumers are absolutely right to complain. There is not a single reason why, in the 21st century, movies are months behind in some regions. It costs companies millions of dollars of lost revenues, and increases their marketing costs: since my main source of information is the Internet, I'm constantly being sold movies I can't see...

Precisely. Delays are excusable when a film lacks a distributor for a particular region, but the practice of delaying a release arbitrarily is ridiculous.

gcubed

specialguy said:
That will just lead to perfect quality pirate copies available two months after movies debut in theatres. Kinda feel for movie companies on that one, there's no way out.

if you can give me a 1080p stream on On Demand day and date with the theater i would spend the money to watch the movies WAY more then i ever go to the theater. 2 months later? lol

bdizzle said:
Good, the used market is destroying the film industry. These movies cost sometimes over a hundred million dollars to make. That money should go to the people who made the movie. The used market and renting is no different than piracy as far as I'm concerned.

They can stop making shitty movies that cost 100 million dollars to make then.

sammich

gcubed said:
if you can give me a 1080p stream on On Demand day and date with the theater i would spend the money to watch the movies WAY more then i ever go to the theater. 2 months later? lol

I agree.. there are a lot of times that there are movies i want to watch, but i cant bother my gf or myself to get up and go to the theater and on top of that spend at a min 22$ on just tickets(And fuck you when im forced to watch it in 3d for another $10). It all depends on the movie, but they are more than likely going to get a sale from me than getting nothing at all. As much as i love watching movies like transformers and stuff in the theater because of the atmosphere and just general fun, i wouldn't mind watching it at home with my friends as well, drinking bear, eating steak or whatever. I don't have thousands in audio/video equipment at home but sometimes the convenience and comfort far far outweighs anything else.

speedline

Banned
Busty said:
Walmart owns all.

It even has a minority stake in Cyberdyne Systems and Neogaf itself.

what.gif

DEO3 said:
The longer they take to get their movies to people, the more likely people will choose to pirate them instead. If the industry truly wants to make piracy a thing of the past, then they need to make access to their content more easily accessible, not less.

Absolutely. And seriously, when I BUY your movie, don't make me go through 12 freaking previews to get to it.

gcubed

sammich said:
I agree.. there are a lot of times that there are movies i want to watch, but i cant bother my gf or myself to get up and go to the theater and on top of that spend at a min 22$ on just tickets(And fuck you when im forced to watch it in 3d for another $10). It all depends on the movie, but they are more than likely going to get a sale from me than getting nothing at all. As much as i love watching movies like transformers and stuff in the theater because of the atmosphere and just general fun, i wouldn't mind watching it at home with my friends as well, drinking bear, eating steak or whatever. I don't have thousands in audio/video equipment at home but sometimes the convenience and comfort far far outweighs anything else.

i'd pay 20-25 day and date to watch it at home instead of in the theaters. I do have a very nice system with 7.1, etc and i'd much rather enjoy it there (and if i'm forced to watch 3D i can do that as well). If i got with my wife its that much before we get either a drink or popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom