• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learn to fight

No matter how bad ass you are the world really is Dragon Ball and someone is always more powerful. But the suggestions of joining a gym, studying and working out are all great starts.

Basic brawls though are always up in the air someone will try to do something insane.

joe_zazen

Yeah, idk. De-escalation and avoiding situations (3am drunk chinatown stuff). Because even if you know haow to fight, the guy may have friends and once you get swarmed, you will be fucked up. dont try be a bad ass hero.

I used to hang with some crazy folk until that 3 am situation happened. when i saw a buddy getting pistol whipped, I left. One guy lost 8 teeth, broken bones, but it could have been worse. I am much more conservative now, and i avoid physical conflict wherever i can

nkarafo

Boxing is the simplest and most effective/practical. I practiced a few other fighting skills but the issue is that many of them can have moves and techniques that you need to remember how to do and apply correctly. Which isn't ideal when you are in a stressful situation where you gotta act fast. Boxing is the only one i tried where everything i learned comes out almost automatically, without me thinking or trying to remember stuff.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The only advice I can give you from getting into scraps every year up to grade 11, and that includes fights in the field, on the concrete schoolyard, in the park and locker room........

........ all I did was grab his shirt/collar, never let go and head hunt as fast and hard as possible. I don't think I ever did a body punch or kick. As yoj grab the guy with your left hand, you can also use your left elbow to kind of block his punches from his right hand by lifting your elbow a bit.

The only random attack I did was one asshole bugging me during winter and pushed that fuck face down an icy slope and fell hard right to the bottom. Looking back, I could have killed the guy, but he lived. lol

Worked like a charm every time....... except when I tried it against a guy a grade or two above me and got slaughtered! Pushed my luck too hard in that one. lol

Last edited:

TheMan

I have 2 years of BJJ and 4 years of Muay Thai training, but have never been in a fight once in my life. It was more for fitness and never had to use it.

A few weeks back I was out walking with my wife and our puppy. We were walking through a small parkette in our city and without provocation a 6'4" tweaker gets up from a bench and walks into our direction mumbling something (I'm 6'0"). He keeps walking directly into me and does this half-hearted push away (he is clearly out of it). I laugh and ask if he is alright. His eyes then go wide-open and he starts yelling at me for stealing his iPad (???). I say I have no idea what you are talking about and tell my wife to take the dog away while I turn the guys attention to me so they are out of his view.

He keeps screaming about the iPad and gets this rage in his face I have never seen in another human being before. I genuinely believe he wanted to KILL me. Again, he is high off his mind on something. Sure enough he puts his hand in a fist and I think "oh shit".

Everything from this point onwards is completely autopilot. Fight or flight, and adrenaline.

I swear to you everything went slow motion. I could see his punches coming, it honestly felt like I had 3 seconds to react. I just slipped backwards from each punch. I think he threw 3 or 4. Slip slip slip. This made him even angrier. Like foaming at the mouth angry.

At that point something inside me just commanded me to run. I jogged backwards away, he chased. I turned around and started jogging faster (while keeping him in my vision 90% of the time), and the fucker started full on sprinting after me. So I started sprinting myself and outran him very easily. Chased me for maybe 5 seconds (felt like 30), and I just kept checking over my shoulder to make sure he didn't pull a weapon out.

He realized I was too fast and yelled something then smacked a pole and walked back to his original place. I met back up with my wife and left. I found two cops a block away and told them what happened, they immediately went off to investigate and that's all I know.

In retrospect, I really wish I just kicked him full force in the ribs or head after his first punch. My fight or flight chose the latter. I think I definitely panicked because I have never been in an actual fight where someone genuinely wanted to hurt me badly. Really different from training in the gym with a civilized partner. And him being high on something subconsciously factored into my algorithm I'm sure.

I am grateful me and my family were fine. I am also grateful for Muay Thai which I attribute to being able to dodge his punches so effectively, and then having the fitness to outsprint him easily.

Now that my fight cherry has been "popped", I promise you I am head-kicking the fuck out of the next bum who attacks me.

I don't understand your reasoning at the end. By running you avoided getting hurt, avoided hurting the other guy (thus avoiding potential liability and/or legal action). You're ok, your family is ok, and presumably the police took care of the situation. Why do you wish you had fucked him up? Things could have turned out very differently had you decided to fight back- one well-placed punch could kill someone.

Like, the way you handled the situation resulted in the optimal outcome all around.

Last edited:

Barnabot

before wanting to throw punches and kicks learn also how to defend yourself. learn how to block. learn how to evade an attack. learn how to take a hit. how to fall and not getting severely injured. how to avoid engaging into a fight. only when fighting is inevitable or you have to protect people from getting harmed by others then prepare to bring the world of pain through fighting.

Tesseract

Banned
ookee
➡⬇↘➡👊
tumblr_ms8z8hVnUA1sc1k5uo1_1280.gif

bronk

Banned
Most people can't fight.

I agree 100% with EviLore EviLore that BJJ or wrestling are great tools for 1v1 fights as you will be able to control position and subdue your opponent long enough to allow yourself to safely escape or await help. Being able to live spar without endangering your brain is a huge advantage to grappling arts as well.

That being said, it doesn't take long to learn how to throw some decent straight punches via boxing training. It's true that you will need to do some sparing to work on your timing and distance but within 8 weeks most people can learn to throw a decent 1-2 that will end a lot of street fights pretty quickly.

I'm never gonna pretend to be some kind of badass but I have very quickly ended a number of 'street fights' simply by landing a stiff jab and a strong right hand over the years and it really doesn't take long to learn the basic fundamentals of boxing (although obviously it'll take a lifetime to master the art).

I now have over 10 years combined of Boxing and Muay Thai training so am reasonably confident in my abilities but it really didn't take long at all to learn the basics and for 90% of 1 on 1 street fights the basics should be enough to see you through.
This is great advice and completely agree.

My opinion on this, you must have some courage and that's it, there are plenty of people who don't apply their training in real street fight because they get scared (they froze) or it doesn't fit, just freestyle it.

Bogey

Banned
Martial arts is a fantastic hobby, but I do wonder how helpful it would really be.

Effectively, I'd imagine it would only ever really help if...

- you fight exactly one opponent
- they're not using any weapons (I know they teach you how to fight against someone carrying a knife for example, but would it really be smart to risk that?)
- you're willing to gamble they're not carrying any hidden weapons either
- your opponent is roughly your same height and weight
- you're willing to gamble that your fighting skills are significantly better than your opponent's (and realistically, out of all of boneheads out there looking to provoke/start a fight - many will themselves know some form of martial arts)

I mean sure, if you plan to retreat to a tibetian monastery for the next 20 years to become the next kung fu legend, you might be able to handle such scenarios.

But I'd assume any normal martial arts enthusiast would still run a very high chance of getting their ass handed to them or worse, if any of those constraints don't line up.

Any of that wrong? If not, I'd say if concerned, probably better to just pack some sort of weapon of self defense, depending what's legally allowed for you)

quickwhips

I’ve been in 3 fights. Twice were 1 on 1. The. Once i got robbed\jumped buying cigarettes in a bad neighborhood as i showed money accidentally when paying. Another reason to bit smoke. I lost 1. Won 1 and i would say robbing was a tie as they only got my cell phone that fell out during the fight but not my money.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
i'd just run, but if I can't run my endurance is usually on point so I'd just try to gas out anyone bigger than me and keep an eye on their facial expressions and body movement. cardio/conditioning wins in the end the longer the bout. the bigger the dude is, the bigger muscles they have the faster they should gas out, you just gotta focus on not getting fukking hit lol otherwise game over son. then later in the bout u can start putting in the pressure to gas them out even further and go for the tko/submission. but if i know I'm not energized and haven't carboloaded in a few days I'm avoiding all potential conflicts. get ur nutrition and energy management game on point too can't throw punches or wrestle much if theres no fuel in the tank. also get one of these:

still just avoid fights and run away if ur by urself and can. strangers may have a deadly weapon. if ur with like a kid or gf or wife, u probably gotta stand ur ground and let them go somewhere safe first unless its a kid. then u probably gotta stand ur ground and go into super mama bear berserk mode and get ready to battle.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
giphy.gif

i believe some people just have the sheer strength and aggression to fuck shit up without any training

i think one could know how to fight and still get fucked up by these "naturals"
Yup.

That's called psycho power. Some people have it, some don't. Makes no difference if you're an MMA fighter or not. And in a real fight, there's no refs, padded gloves or code of conduct. Ever get into a scrap and you or the other guy purposely makes a fist with the F finger (edit: I meant middle joint) sticking out a bit? You know why? So can destroy a guys eyeball with a direct hit. A normal closed fist can't do that if you hit a guy square. Will make any guy drop.

Punch one guy in the face and he goes down. Punch another guy and he's stunned a bit. Punch a different guy, it has zero effect, pisses him off and his strength just doubled...... run or get a baseball bat.

Last edited:
I have 2 years of BJJ and 4 years of Muay Thai training, but have never been in a fight once in my life. It was more for fitness and never had to use it.

SNIP

Now that my fight cherry has been "popped", I promise you I am head-kicking the fuck out of the next bum who attacks me.

You did the right thing, avoid and live free for another day. It's easy to hit and permanently damage or kill someone, who needs that in their life. Honestly avoiding a fight even when in one is still a great move, the smart move even. It takes more of man to walk away than it does to outright beat the shit out of someone.

I had an opposite reaction years ago as a teenage. I'm 6'1" and have a rubgy dad so I'm fairly built but a mate just got his road bike and was being held up by a bunch of assholes after we had been at a pool hall. He called my phone and it was just background noise (he dialled as he was in trouble and just had the phone on hoping we'd hear and come to his aid) and I heard the asshats saying they weren't going to let him go until he did a burn out. So I ran up from my carpark to the front where this was going down and after some posturing and pushing the bigger group let us be finally.

As our friends followed up and chatted/calmed my mate the group had circled around and come back behind us from the shadows. I see a "leader" out in front with all the others fanned out behind him and specifically two guys carrying full beer bottles. They're about to involve us in a brawl in a bad way, no doubt. I know I have a fight response these days (and actively avoid it on purpose) but back then it was one of the first times it kicked in. I moved well forward of our group to line myself up the leader as we had a number of girls with us who were shitting themselves at this point and I know a couple of my mates have never been in a fight before. So I attacked first and floored the leader jackass with a king hit to the nose. Guy out cold and blood coming out, I calmingly asked who's next and killed the entire brawl before it happened. They left.

I bring this story up as a warning, it's not the right thing to do. It could have gone really really bad. I got lucky and was on instinct alone to finish it before it started. Your story is the right thing to do, just avoid. We should have just left the moment my buddy was released and talked about it elsewhere, avoiding the whole thing together. What if I did real damage to the guy? What if I got a bottle to the head myself?

Last edited:
You can train all you want but if your opponent gets mad and pulls out his gun/knife/friends after he gets his ass whooped, you're fucked.

It's never worth it to stand your ground unless you're backed up against a wall. Fight to create an opening to run. Fuck ego. Just run. It's not worth it getting stabbed or shot.

The rule I follow and have told my kids is:
Don't start fights, assholes start fights.

If you're in a situation where you're faced with just such an asshole then we move onto a different rule:
Win. You do whatever you have to do to make sure you're the one that walks away. Punch, kick, bite, gouge, pull hair, whatever.

Romulus

A few weeks back I was out walking with my wife and our puppy. We were walking through a small parkette in our city and without provocation a 6'4" tweaker gets up from a bench and walks into our direction mumbling something (I'm 6'0"). He keeps walking directly into me and does this half-hearted push away (he is clearly out of it). I laugh and ask if he is alright. His eyes then go wide-open and he starts yelling at me for stealing his iPad (???). I say I have no idea what you are talking about and tell my wife to take the dog away while I turn the guys attention to me so they are out of his view.

He keeps screaming about the iPad and gets this rage in his face I have never seen in another human being before. I genuinely believe he wanted to KILL me. Again, he is high off his mind on something. Sure enough he puts his hand in a fist and I think "oh shit".

Everything from this point onwards is completely autopilot. Fight or flight, and adrenaline.

I swear to you everything went slow motion. I could see his punches coming, it honestly felt like I had 3 seconds to react. I just slipped backwards from each punch. I think he threw 3 or 4. Slip slip slip. This made him even angrier. Like foaming at the mouth angry.

At that point something inside me just commanded me to run. I jogged backwards away, he chased. I turned around and started jogging faster (while keeping him in my vision 90% of the time), and the fucker started full on sprinting after me. So I started sprinting myself and outran him very easily. Chased me for maybe 5 seconds (felt like 30), and I just kept checking over my shoulder to make sure he didn't pull a weapon out.

He realized I was too fast and yelled something then smacked a pole and walked back to his original place. I met back up with my wife and left. I found two cops a block away and told them what happened, they immediately went off to investigate and that's all I know.

In retrospect, I really wish I just kicked him full force in the ribs or head after his first punch. My fight or flight chose the latter. I think I definitely panicked because I have never been in an actual fight where someone genuinely wanted to hurt me badly. Really different from training in the gym with a civilized partner. And him being high on something subconsciously factored into my algorithm I'm sure.

I am grateful me and my family were fine. I am also grateful for Muay Thai which I attribute to being able to dodge his punches so effectively, and then having the fitness to outsprint him easily.

I think you did fine. Some of those tweakers are ridiculously strong because of the substances your own. And he could have easily been armed.

I will say reading your story something came to mind. If someone is on your heels chasing you, instead of turning around and striking, wait until they're close enough and turn with a full force back fist using your momentum. Almost like a spinning backfist but since your already turning anyway use that motion to your advantage. I faked a mini retreat outnumbered just to use that, but don't take your eyes off them. I only landed one successfuly and it was devastating, but only tried it twice. I noticed the time that I missed it was really close and backed them off because that motion is extremely powerful. You literally can keep covering your tracks in a retreat.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Boxing - it teaches you how to actually punch someone out, and how to not get punched yourself. Or, in the event that you get hit, makes you somewhat used to it so you don't get shocked. You don't need some kind of fancy martial art that you train in completely unrealistic scenarios, and you don't want something where you end up on the ground.

Whatever you choose, it needs to be a sport where you actually spar people, for real.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Y29tqc1.gif

Fighting is 80% about who will get vicious.

Martial arts movies and watching UFC on TV have conditioned most people to play-fight, and most don't instinctually want to be in a fight at all. In a real scrap you wanna go all out. Jab your middle finger into their eyes, punch ears, spine, pull back their elbows, kick the sides of their knees, punch the neck, headbutt their nose/teeth, use your elbows at every opportunity, bend/crack any finger you can grab, stomp on their toes with your heel. Do whatever you can as quickly as you can to hurt the other person as much as you can.

giphy.gif

That was very detailed. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Raven117

I was a former bouncer at a shitshow nightclub for more years than I care to admit. The only reason I stuck around was the girls, free alcohol, and generally just being young and dumb.

My general recommendation. Muay Thai, basic wrestling and BJJ to stay off the ground. Learn to get up from the ground.

I am naturally a tall, explosive, fast twitch guy, but when I started I had no experience in ugly fights like that. I didn't know shit. And we were literally fighting every weekend for years, sometimes twice in one night. I had to learn fast.

I learned from a coworker, a mma fighter/bouncer to stay off the god damn ground. Trained with him often.

Basically, don't get into a tussle or clinch, pull guard unless absolutely necessary, stay mobile, light and fast.
Every 1v3 usually starts 1v1. Think about that, you're in ground working that pretty triangle choke and suddenly his buddy comes out the club and stomps your skull.

We mostly fought inside or just outside. We rarely got involved in fights beyond a certain distance at our club in the street, but we could watch. Bjj and wrestling are great bases. Its great to know how to clinch, I used it when forced to. But I witnessed dudes lose to bar brawlers far more often than win at the exact moment they restricted their ability to retreat. They usually start off winning, but theres just so many unknowns on the street and sometimes it's ok to retreat. You cannot run from your backside and I saw alot of people lose that way, or even in a clinch situation.

My strategy? I have a 81" reach. I switched my power hand to the front and used it as a jab/counter punch. I faked it as a typical slow unthreatening"stab" jab, but when they got in range I unloaded full force. I worked it circling away from their typical haymaker. I practiced Muay Thai style round and front kicks every other day for years. Very low trajectory, knees, pelvic, balls. Well over 150 fights, some were 2v1 and I never lost. I got clipped, sucker punched, scratched, slapped, spit on, hit with a flying pool stick, pool balls, beer bottles. Lol.
Find out were your strengths are, but stay on your feet! Can't stress that enough. Even days when I did not work we would watch the camera and it was some poor soul getting jumped after it was 1v1 and he was on the ground, usually winning until homeboys showed up.
Woah!

You did the right thing. You were unharmed, your family was unharmed, and the obviously tweaked out dude was unharmed. That is a damn fine way to win a fight.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The BJJ and Krav Maga schools/gyms will tell you this but go and stay low. High kicks are for show unless you're as fast as Bruce Lee and can hide your telegraphing well. Hit the shins, knees, hamstring, hips... And hit the soft spots like the throat, groin... Get them to the ground (and only them) ... And escape...

If you're defending someone else (GF, wife, child) then make sure after they're on the ground, break a leg or arm or something... Incapacitate them so they can't get up to retaliate since you would be slower to escape with someone else.

Neolombax

I've trained for Silat for about 4 years during my university years, and the first lesson that they will teach you is if its possible, when you get into a fight, run away. Only engage when cornered. Nobody wants that to really happen in real life really, You could easily maim people in a fight if you know which limbs to aim for and which points are weakest. I'd say go train for martial arts because it gives you self confidence, self control and most importantly teaches you discipline.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Or instead of martial arts got full street style and do some jail time:

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Boxing and wrestling were my passions along with lifting in my teens. I haven't done either in a while but I'm confident I'd be a force today. I only lift and jog these days to stay in shape. Fewer bruises.

PanzerAzel

I’m chronically ill and disabled (my left arm is largely gimped and my muscles on my left chest, shoulder and back are all extremely atrophied), so if I’m getting into a fight, it’s not good prospects. I’m very proactive about what situations I allow myself to get into and focus on awareness.

I’ve really let go of my pride and ego. I’ll apologize, even if I’m in the right....it’s no big deal. Unless my life or someone I care for is in danger, it’s simply not worth it. If someone insulted someone I was with that would be different, but luckily I’ve managed to avoid that.

I don’t much enjoy violence.

V2Tommy

Always run away. Assholes that start fights will always get stabbed by other assholes some other day, so let nature sort them out.

V4skunk

Banned
If it is one on one and the other person is squaring up to you! And you know the situation is not going to get better! Just put your skull through their face.
Also learn how to throw a real punch like a boxer. Straight punches and jabs beat out hooks in a street fight.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Okay guys, just in case you missed it, let that sink in....
eWXeDjW.gif

Any handy handgun can take any BJJ master in second.

And if you're not defending yourself against a deadly threat, you've suicided your own life in the process.

Knowing unarmed self-defense isn't just about crushing the other guy (which should be avoided whenever possible). You'll build confidence, strength, and discipline, which other people will pick up on immediately and be less likely to start shit with you. You'll be able to deescalate or control situations to avoid outcomes that seriously damage either party.

A gun isn't the answer to most scenarios we end up in in day to day life.

Some more krav maga today. I hope I get better at it cause I kinda stink, the other guys all see my attacks coming a mile away and then sorta bitchslap me. At least it's a good workout. Granted, I'm still a noob.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
EDIT: I replied before I read most of the others, and I see most of my thoughts have already been covered. But I'm too lazy to change or add to my reply.

I don't know of any videos but I'd recommend finding a krav maga school in your area. It teaches how to fight in the real world (unlike most martial arts). It also teaches how to deal with weapons (knives, guns, sticks, etc) and the place I go does extra stuff like how to deal with a carjacker or specific situations what to do if you're getting choked (or raped if you're a woman) or how to defend against multiple opponents.

Also teaches how to know when to run and how to actually buy time to get safely away from the situation.

One thing that's important to learning to fight well that's often overlooked is live sparring. You need to know what it feels like (and get over your fears and uncertainties) both hitting somebody and getting hit by somebody.

One thing I will add is training like wresting or BBJ tends to put you on the ground, and that's typically not the place you want to be fighting, especially if there are multiple people there. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom