• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LeBron James says it would be amazing to play for Popovich in 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes wonder just how much impact basketball coaching has on the game when you have someone like Jordan on the floor. Like, I don't think Tyron Lue had much to do with the Cleveland title.

Rick Carlisle

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. Bron says it'd be 'amazing' to take part in the dunk contest every year, and yet here we are, 13 years into his career.

Abounder

Banned
I sometimes wonder just how much impact basketball coaching has on the game when you have someone like Jordan on the floor. Like, I don't think Tyron Lue had much to do with the Cleveland title.

It's more behind the scenes stuff. With Phil you have to worry about drama like fooling around with the boss's daughter, or setting things up for a premature implosion (feuds with Bulls FO, Shaq/Kobe, etc).

fizzwizz

Banned
The complete list of NBA coaches Lebron has played for:

Paul Silas
Brendan Malone
Mike Brown
Erik Spoelstra
David Blatt
Tyrone Lue

Uh, yeah I don't blame him for what he said.

giga

If he avoids injury, I could see it. But 35 is pretty old and he'd have to change his style of play like Kobe did in his later years. (Kobe retired at 37. He was 33 in 2012.)

rambis

Banned
Pop is definitely top coach. Phil and more accurately Tex had more success with the Triangle but Pop has basically changed basketball looking at teams like GSW.

Dynomutt

I don't know man. You still need plays the triangle is what made the Bulls q monster too but even Jordan made mistakes.

You could even argue that it was Lue's playcalling that created the iso for Kyrie to take the game winner. Coaches do have an impact.

dem toes doe NSFW
aDaBC4O_crop_north_crop_north.jpg

does he even need toes at this point?

the front end of his foot seems to have extended enough to do the job anyways

TuXx

Pop's the better coach.

The Spurs are always contenders because Pop can adapt to any style the is league is playing. Pop also knows how to fully utilize his entire rooster better than anyone coach in the league. He can take unknowns like Patty Mills and Danny Green and have them play the best ball of their life.

Phil on the underhand has always had the luxury of being thrown the keys when a good team is already in place. Him also not giving up on that damn triangle is not a good look either.

Sulik2

Pop is a great coach, but he isn't Phil. The only coaches in the as good as Phil discussion are Scottie Bowman, Nick Saban, Coach K and Bill Belichick.

andthebeatgoeson

It's like someone said Mike Brown in here. I give Pop a lot of credit before I submit to ESPN level arguments of '11 vs 5' that I don't really care for. Credit that includes not having the most dominant force in basketball on his team during most of his chips. And recency bias does cloud things for me, pushing me towards Pop.

rambis

Banned
greatest coach ever, lawl. Dude has no idea who phil jackson is or something?

Phil has 11 in 20 years while Popovich has 5 in 20. Just by that comparison man, no way you could ever call Popovich the best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_championship_head_coaches
Phil was gifted two dynasties. Rings arent the end all be all. What exactly has he personally done that elevates him beyond others in the conversation? Hell you could give most of his credit for the success of the triangle to Tex Winters.

Sulik2

I'd love for you to expand on this.

At the end of the day, the job of a coach is to put his team in the best position to win and win a lot. These are the coaches in the sports I am familiar with who have most succeeded in winning a tremendous amount. I ask myself, if I was an owner and could pick any coach in the history of the sport who would I want? These are the guys I would choose. And I heavily lean towards the modern era, free agency and the explosion of competitive balance have made building and maintaining teams and talent so much more difficult that I think the modern guys are all heads and shoulders above the former greats.

Phil:
Has 11 titles, its a staggering number of titles. When you hire a coach their job is to win you championships and Phil did that better then anyone in the NBA. Pop is a better X-Os coach, but I actually think Phil managing to get teams that straight up hated each other or were full of crazy people to win over and over and over is just as much a part of coaching as Pops X-Os. And Phil did it in what IMHO was the best era of talent in NBA history from the early 90s to early 2000s. Pop winning five in the modern era probably puts him number 2 on the NBA list.

Scotty Bowman:
I'm just gonna quote his wikipedia page. His achievements actually exceed Phil. He is the greatest coach in history and is some sort of hockey talent savant. "As head coach, Bowman has won a record nine Stanley Cups; five with the Canadiens (1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979), one with the Penguins (1992) and three with the Red Wings (1997, 1998, and 2002). He has also won five Stanley Cups as a member of an organization's front office. He was director of player development for the 1991 Penguins, Consultant with the 2008 Detroit Red Wings, and Senior Advisor of Hockey Operations for the 2010, 2013, and 2015 Chicago Blackhawks. Bowman won the Jack Adams Award in 1977 and 1996. In the 1976–77 season he won a record 60 games, breaking his own record of 58 wins the year before. He broke his own record again in the 1995–1996 season, with 62 wins. His 8 losses in 1976–77 are a modern record. His teams also made it to the Stanley Cup Finals a record 13 times and the semi-finals a record 16 times." Wanna win a Stanley Cup? Involve Scotty in your org in some shape or form. He is in his mid 80s and still helping the Hawks win cups.

Nick Saban:
College football, you get one loss, but its better to be perfect. To be a successful college coach you not only have to be a great XO's guy, but you also have to be able to build and develop your talent. Saban has done this at two schools. Something no one else has done and he's won five national titles in a sport that is more competitive now and being played at a level of skill that far surpasses its previous decades. And he is still at his absolute peak of coaching with no reason to expect him to not break Bear Bryant's record. And he is getting better, he showed flexibility as a coach in this years title game he has never really shown before in his coaching history. He has dominated a sport in a way that shouldn't be possible with how college football is setup and all he does is keep winning.

Bill Belichick:
A literal football genius who has won superbowl after superbowl in a free agency and parity driven league with a run of excellence with the Pats that just doesn't exist in the modern NFL. This a sport where the majority of the time the Superbowl loser doesn't even make the playoffs the following year or losing your QB means you go 1 -15. And the Pats have been the most consistent team in the league for 15 years. And he was a great assistant coach in the 80s and 90s. Posting his resume from Wikipedia: If you can win like this in free agency era of the NFL you are a special coach.

"6× Super Bowl champion (XXI, XXV, XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLIX)
7× AFC champion (1996, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2014)
2× NFC champion (1986, 1990)"

Coach K:
Built and maintained the most successful college basketball program of the modern era in a sport that is radically changed in the time he has been coaching and he is still winning titles. Winning the NCCA tourney is so difficult that making the Final Four is celebrated as much as actually winning the entire thing and he has won five titles in three decades and has 12 final four appearances. He will build you a better, more sustainable program then any other college coach in history and he can handle it in the midst of the implosion that was college basketball for a long time. He also dominates someone like Tom Izzo who is maybe the best XOs coach in modern college basketball and wins Gold Medals coaching Olympic teams and FIBA teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom