• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known horror gems to play during spooky season

I'm sure there's tons of these on steam so give some good recommendations. Unfortunately, I only have consoles, so recommendations for those would be good as well.

I have off work on Halloween so I'd like to get drunk and play something that will make me jump šŸ˜

Skifi28

So I'm going with lesser known games that aren't necessarily masterpieces, but each can be fun on it's own even if they're flawed.

Outlast/outlast 2
Blare Witch (Very flawed, but can be scary to experience once)
Amnesia 1/2/rebirth/bunker
SOMA (highly recommended)
Call of Cthulhu
Moons of Madness
The Sinking City
Alan Wake (maybe)
Litle Nightmares 1/2 (Probably not horror/scary, but quite unsettling)

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Decap_Attack_cover_art.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
Get Even was a bit of an overlooked game. The closest comparison that I can think of is Condemned if Condemned had stealth/shooter sequences sprinkled in at random points throughout the campaign.

The story is a bit hard to follow so it's not really as compelling as it could be. But the game offers some decent scares, and the most memorable things about it for me was the incredible sound design and realistic visuals created with the use of photogrammetry.

Costume Quest. Not horror, but very fun Halloween game.

I'd say you are better off looking in the mod scene if possible if you want horror. Effective horror relies on the unknown so it's a balancing act with games because you don't want to learn too much about a game so the horror elements are effective, but you need to learn a little bit to know if the game sucks or not.

Cry of Fear or Total Chaos are good places to start and are both really good considering they are fan/mod projects.

edit:

Saw that you only have access to consoles. I don't have any better recomendations than most in this thread so I'll just leave my comment in case anyone else is interested in Cry of Fear or Total Chaos.

Last edited:
Get Even was a bit of an overlooked game. The closest comparison that I can think of is Condemned if Condemned had stealth/shooter sequences sprinkled in at random points throughout the campaign.

The story is a bit hard to follow so it's not really as compelling as it could be. But the game offers some decent scares, and the most memorable things about it for me was the incredible sound design and realistic visuals created with the use of photogrammetry.
Love condemned 1 and 2. I wish they'd remake or have a sequel

Flabagast

These ones would be my picks for the Switch:
  • Signalis
  • Little Nightmares I & II
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water Survival
  • Alien Isolation (excellent Switch port)
I already played all of them except Fatal Frame (which I sure will at some point), I am a big horror fan :messenger_grinning: I also played the Amnesia ports on switch.

Any other good recommandations ? I heard Detention was quite good.

Thx for the reply by the way!

Shut0wen

Every video game made or published by puppet combo, literally the best developers right now

Murder house and nun massacre are kinos

Last edited:
I already played all of them except Fatal Frame (which I sure will at some point), I am a big horror fan :messenger_grinning: I also played the Amnesia ports on switch.

Any other good recommandations ? I heard Detention was quite good.

Thx for the reply by the way!
Hmm... I haven't played Detention, but now that you mention it I'll be adding it to my wishlist. Oh since you're big horror fan then this will be tough one :messenger_grinning_sweat: so I'll just tell you what upcoming horror games I'm excited about and plan on getting for my Switch ASAP:

First one is World of Horror - a love letter to Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. It has roguelite elements with turn based combat and dope 1 bit art.
71Ers7Ob-nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And the other one is a DLC for The Dredge which is releasing next month.

capsule_616x353.jpg

There's also this horror Visual Novel which released yesterday on Steam and I made a review thread about it here on GAF named Slay the Princess. The devs mentioned on the Steam forums that the'll be looking into making a port for console (Switch as well) sometime next year.

1rok4qDS.jpg

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I would recommend Visage. I don't scare easily, but this game managed to scare me a few times along with making me feel uncomfortable during exploration. It has its flaws like not telling you what to do next (even with small hints), but a very cool experience overall.

Last edited:

Vandole

Costume Quest. Not horror, but very fun Halloween game.

Costume Quest is the closest we've ever come to having a Calvin and Hobbes video game. From the tone and sense of humor, to the way the battles reflect the kids imagination and transform into something much grander, it always makes me think of Calvin acting like Spaceman Spiff.

If someone hasn't played it before, this is the time of year to check it out. The sequel was decent, but honestly I don't think it hit the heights of the original. And I think it's easy to just treat it as a one and done game.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not so sure it's lesser-known, but you could always try the NES port of Chiller. Scary because the arcade version was sorta goofy/weird and the port just NES'd it.

Top Bottom