• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve To Steam Deck Owners: Stop Huffing Its Vent Fumes!

0746c80043767b47f239d78879ff5894.jpg

Valve has a message to all you folks (myself included) who love huffing your Steam Deck exhaust fumes: Stop it. Please.

Have you ever taken a break from playing your Steam Deck to sample the complex fragrances emanating from its exhaust vent? If so, you aren't alone. Since the release of the handheld PC, many owners have reported that they can't stop sniffing the fumes that waft out of the Steam Deck during play. It's become a bit of a meme among Steam Deck owners, with folks often posting online how much they enjoy the distinctive aroma. I'm one of those sickos, sticking my nose right above the exhaust and taking a big whiff each time I play. But someone finally asked Valve about this, and it turns out the company wants you all to knock it off.

On December 12, Reddit user Metapod100 shared a screenshot showing them asking Steam Support if it was "safe to inhale the exhaust fumes" from the Steam Deck's top vent. The user pointed out that people enjoying the smell has become "somewhat of a meme" and admitted many folks really like doing it.
jcgk8LP.png

Valve’s response had the same vibes of a school teacher telling kids kindly (but firmly) to stop eating paste.

“As with all electronics, it is generally not recommended you inhale the exhaust fumes on your device,” Steam Support said. “While there are no safety concerns with general usage, directly inhaling the device’s vent fumes should be avoided.”

Valve’s support team added that while they “understand” that it’s become a meme, they still want Steam Deck owners to “refrain from this behavior for the safety of your health.”

And that’s a totally fair, logical answer. But I’m going to ignore it. I can’t help it. Smelling the hot plastic-y (almost fruity) scent that my Steam Deck spits out after warming up is a habit I can’t shake. I love it too much. I’m sorry Valve. Please don’t be mad. (And also please release a Steam Deck-scented candle next Christmas!)

alf717

Reminds me of NES boxes or any game that came with a manual. I recall my Switch had that electronics smell that came from the exhaust vent back when I first got one at launch.

Last edited:

H4ze

hahahah what, never hears of that, but maybe it is, because I don't own a Deck xD funny stuff

LRKD

had no clue that I wasn't the only one lmao, and before the steam deck it was the switch i'd huff and play. Steam deck also works great as a winter heater, toss the blanket over you and the deck, and put on a game and that baby doubles as an amazing personal heater.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol actually did thus a couple times. Reminded me a bit of new car smell, and was nice and warm like a sitting in front of a campfire with marshmellows, only 100 times better. What day is it again?

acidagfc

IDK guys, my Deck smells horrible. Like a death from cancer level horrible. Why would anyone want to huff that?

Some electronics do have a nice smell when first unwrapped, but Steam Deck ain't that.
At first I even thought it was the smell of the pouch that comes with it and I washed it in a washing machine, but no, it just keeps getting this horrible smell back after a while.

Maybe mine is broken and it burns inside, IDK, but I doubt I can RMA it on the account of bad plastic smell.

now I also wonder what smell there even can be. naturally those 1kW fan heater will burn anything that goes through it and that can smell, but a sub 100W device?
oil of the fan bearing, glue on capacitors, or solder?
an aroma people like enough to start a stupid trend?

poodaddy

What.....
why.....
I don't......
Now we're sniffing hardware?

This ain't right fellas. Do the right thing and give a lucky woman the finger pop and then smell your fingers to handle these urges more appropriately, but remember that your Steam Deck can't say no.

Jesus is watching.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the 4090 has this weird warm plastic coffee roasted smell. Only when playing heavy games like cyberpunk do i really get that small high!

After I take a whiff of my Steam Deck I then take a Lick of a Switch Game Card.
Then Wish that someday Switch games come to the Deck.

Top Bottom