• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known horror gems to play during spooky season

The Callisto protocol is an underrated, hidden gem

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I’m playing through Tormented Souls for the first time right now. Huge resident evil 1 vibes. Wonderfully terrible voice acting. Creepy story. And some surprisingly clever puzzles. Easy recommend.

graywolf323

I’m not really a horror fan (my threshold for scary stuff is Scooby-Doo 😅) but I highly recommend two VNs that can get pretty creepy

Raging Loop (also available on PSN/eShop)

World End Syndrome (available on PSN/eShop)

Is anyone aware of any modern console games in the vain of Nightmare creatures in the present day?

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is anyone aware of any modern console games in the vain of Nightmare creatures in the present day?
Bloodborne is the only good pick if you want a modern Nightmare Creatures game.

You can even check out Bloodborne demastered for that authentic PS1 experience, lol.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

horror in gaming is so strange, at least for me, most of it doesn't scare me at all or invoke any sense of fear, usually it's just "ok i'll shoot you now" or "ah so i can't do anything about this thing following me, that's annoying".

yet Ravenholm puts me at all sorts of unease (at least it use to back then, now that i know it like the back of my hand it doesn't so much)

I know a lot of people like the monster thing to jump up and raaaaarrrgggh like average FNAF game, but it doesn't work for me.

I'd love to find some hidden gem that can give me that dread and fear like a PT or Silent Hill, Phasmophobia was great for this when it released but again i've played it to death and now it barely even gets a twitch out of me.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The Mortuary Assistant is creepy as hell.

I was disappointed with this one tbh. The gameplay gets extremely repetitive after the first 20 minutes, and the main "attraction" is a bunch of cheap jump scares and stupid looking monster faces peeking at you from behind corners. Jump scares are the lowest form of horror and this game does them every 2 minutes. It's incredibly annoying.

Bloodborne is the only good pick if you want a modern Nightmare Creatures game.

You can even check out Bloodborne demastered for that authentic PS1 experience, lol.
Oh, I'm aware of Bloodborne. I'm looking for something a bit more niche AA in that regard and not particularly known. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sorry the double post, im getting this right now! Was released for PS4/PS5 days ago, maaaan look creepy af;

Last edited:

WoJ

It's not horror but spooky: Oxenfree.
This is a surprisingly good pick, it isn't scary per sae but has just enough creepiness to fit into spooky season gaming.

I'd suggest Emily Wants to Play. It relies on jump scares but I enjoyed my time with it. And the first time playing it scares the ever living shit out of me. If the idea of being trapped in a house with possessed inanimate objects scares you its worth a play. It's short too, only a couple hours.

Top Bottom