• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss the pure stupidity of star trek into darkness

Recently watched this movie again and by God it has to be the dumbest star trek movie of all time. In keeping with star trek lore.

Khan can teleport from earth to qo'nos that's like what 100 lightyears? This alone is arguably the stupidest thing in the movie.

Peter Weller says they revived khan to use his aggression etc to design weapons and tactics. Seriously? They needed a 250 year old frozen man to tell them to build a bigger than usual ship and make it black 😂.

Putting humans in torpedoes, literally just could have kept them frozen somewhere.

Khan's blood healing everything. Miracle cure just not being used.

Unless torpedos have warp engines. Launching a torpedo from the neutral zone assuming it's many light years away would take like 100s of years to reach the target.

A landing party on the Klingon world is probably the least stupidest thing in this movie.

Khan jobbing to Spock 😂 the same khan that took on about 50 Klingons and 3 ships.

The shuttle they use on the Klingon world looks like a hamburger.

Khan shooting up star fleet hq for 5 minutes straight and not a single shit comes or somme orbital defence shooting his shuttle.

There's probably more.

Last edited:
Gee, I wonder why the movie is so stupid...
B510VhH.jpg

throw up team america GIF

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I liked it, probably BECAUSE I'm not that familiar with Star Trek. So I could see why people who are don't like it.

It was dumb fun, whereas I gather the most celebrated Trek stuff is more mature and cerebral

These guys must have dirt on someone important. No idea how they get so much work when everything they touch turns to shit.
From what I understand, they keep getting work because they're 'reliable' in the sense that they can ship a product. Like when Brian Fuller left Star Trek Discovery for American Gods, Kurtzman was able to pick up the pieces and put it on the air, which is something that the streaming services consider paramount (they NEED new and exclusive content or they fail). They're definitely not getting jobs because of the quality of their work lol.

Fbh

It was JJ Abrams movie making 101
"What if we make a really shitty movie BUT....... we add Nostalgia"

Same with with The Last Jedi. Hey maybe that's a cool story if you knew nothing about Star Wars.

Nah sorry TLJ would have been shit even if it was a standalone movie.
Sure one could forgive what they did to Luke if he was just some random new character, but the Poe storyline was stupid as fuck, the Finn sidequest was boring and pointless and the action sucked.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
JJ Abrams showed critics a version where the bad guy was not Khan to keep the secret. And what a dum move that was.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yup. They had a good start with the first movie, and while it had a few stupid things, it was acceptable. Part 2 went ham on the stupidity and suffered for it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The Kelvin timeline is what happens to Star Trek when it's written by people with zero love or understanding of Star Trek. The anti-scientific, anti-intellectual and anti-reason attitude Kuntzman and his cronies bring to these movies has also infected the TV shows in the main timeline.

At least Terry Matalas seems to know what Star Trek is meant to be, and I very much hope they just hand the whole damn thing to him after Picard season 3.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Yeah i liked the action and Cumberbatch but i agree the movie is extremely dumb. To be fair the first one is just as dumb but people dont seem to point out the stupidity in that one for some reason. It just seems fashionable to shit on Into Darkness for some reason.

Porcile

This movie was pretty the exact moment I gave up ever having any expectations of modern Hollywood. It was ludicrously bad but the most annoying thing was the build up and the constant "Benedict Cumberdumpster is definitely not Khan we swear lolol". trolling Urgh.

CGNoire

JJ is such a fucking hack.

The only good thing to come out of a film of his was the new exsposure based laser tone mapping that became standard in SW after TFA. Lasers blasts look alot better now then before so theres that. Not even sure he had a hand in it maybe it was the cinematographer?

Cyberpunkd

These guys must have dirt on someone important. No idea how they get so much work when everything they touch turns to shit.
Into Darkness was a financial success and received positive reviews from critics. Its gross earnings of over $467 million worldwide have made it the highest-grossing entry in the Star Trek franchise.

Seems like they know what they are doing.

ManaByte

Gold Member
At least Terry Matalas seems to know what Star Trek is meant to be, and I very much hope they just hand the whole damn thing to him after Picard season 3.
He has a pitch for the follow up series after Picard S3, but as of right now it’s not OFFICIALLY been greenlit. However, they did just kill Discovery so maybe it has.

k_trout

you ever think about the utter stupidity of most space based Sci fi? got folks walking around space ships, sitting down drinking beer, taking a shower, anti gravity or some shit...then they put elevators everywhere, wtf none of it makes any sense

Or Earth based sci-fi where all technology (cars, guns, buildings) looks very much like it is now except there are androids that look and can behave exactly like people.

pramod

Banned
you ever think about the utter stupidity of most space based Sci fi? got folks walking around space ships, sitting down drinking beer, taking a shower, anti gravity or some shit...then they put elevators everywhere, wtf none of it makes any sense

None of the scifi aspect of Star Trek has ever made much sense to me. They have warp drives and teleportation devices. Yet their starships are built from circuits that can blow up in your face.

Top Bottom