• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's share artwork we really like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title, this thread is for sharing artwork we really like, from any style, era, artist, etc. They can be a classical artist, a well known artist, obscure artist, tumblr artist, comic artist, whatever you like.
After looking into "Art Nouveau" I've gotten kinda interested in getting back into drawing so this is kind of another way for me to look for inspiration.
No "rules" to what you can post aside from let's not post things that would go against the ToS for obvious reasons so anything NSFW is a no go but if you want to link it instead with a warning that's probably better, and please don't put links behind spoiler tags either. One other thing is If its not NSFW it would be preferable to have all images posted in the thread instead of links so people can scroll through the thread and look through images without going to other sites.
It would also be nice if you could post the artist too but if you don't know that's fine.
So I'll start!
One artist I've liked since I was an early teen was Stuntkid, a lot of his artwork are drawings of women but I really like his use of color and artstyle in general. Been meaning to get one of his prints for quite some time. I particularly like these two.

"Antlers":
antlers.jpg

"Skullface":

Link to the artists blog for those interested. But NSFW warning.
http://iam.stuntkid.com/illustration/

Another artist I'm interested in that I've found "recently" is a guy that goes by the name of "Skinner", he worked on the album art for the band "Mastodon" for their album "Once More Round the Sun" and his stuff reminds me of older comic books in a way, but really trippy.

Link to his site: http://www.theartofskinner.com/

Next is Kuvshinov-Ilya who I honestly don't know too much about but I've seen their art around and I think they've got a pretty beautiful style.

their DA page: http://kuvshinov-ilya.deviantart.com/

Another artist I don't know too much about but, their name is Sineater and they work with ink and their art is primarily focused on linework which is something I think is really cool and for my first tattoo I really want to get something that evokes this style.

Oak and Iron

Salted Bones

Link to their site: http://sineater.bigcartel.com/

This guy is a lot less obscure. BRYAN LEE O'MALLEY, the creator of Scott Pilgrim along with his later graphic novel "Seconds" and his next series "Worst World" he's also worked on some comic books and is currently working on one called "Snot Girl" for those interested in checking out some of his other works.

"Seconds" Cover art:

Snotgirl

And finally some "Art Nouveau" stuff, I don't really know too much about it or any artists outside of Alphonse Mucha but I'll post some pictures and someone can feel free to educate me on it (which I'd actually enjoy) but here are a few pictures I found while looking it up that I really liked.

Zodiac Calendar by Alphonse Mucha

Job Cigarettes by Alphonse Mucha

Four Seasons by Alphonse Mucha

Log4Girlz

Your prize is
a little baby pigeon
But the detail on that is pretty insane I have to admit and I do really like it a lot.

Its absolutely top tier for my taste. One of the absolutely most beautiful paintings.

I also love anything John Singer Sargent. Despite being impressionistic, his paintings look so real and alive. More realistic than a lot of "realism" out there.

Wow! Another Kuvshinov-Ilya fan! I love their work! I'll have to add to this thread after I'm done with work.
I'd actually only found out about them a few months ago from a Facebook friend posting their art but I was pretty stunned the first time I saw their work. Maybe this is a bad term, but I feel as if there's a bit of anime realism to their work which I find really cool, especially since it often doesn't go too far in either direction so it's a perfect blend of two different styles which creates something special

Its absolutely top tier for my taste. One of the absolutely most beautiful paintings.

I also love anything John Singer Sargent. Despite being impressionistic, his paintings look so real and alive. More realistic than a lot of "realism" out there.
Looking through some of Sargent's work now and I have to agree, but I also get a kind of "dream like" feel from the way he paints, in that a lot of his work looks real but with some of the finer details blurred, which I find really cool and alluring and I think it adds a bit of a special element to his work.

Hieronymus Bosch.

My favourite artist.

Wi3YyLW.jpg
Some of his work reminds me a lot of the early Slayer album covers. The artist seemingly took a lot of inspiration from Bosch's work but Bosch's work is the more interesting of the two imo. Wouldn't mind owning a few prints of his pieces either

TTTR

I'm myself a big fan of Ashley Wood.
Stumbled upon him and his work when he started 3A, collected WWR (World War Robot) toys for many years and eventually got introduced to his artwork as well. So if you know Ash you also know that you can't post about 2/3 of his art because when it comes to his oil paintings he either paints robots or NSFW/L stuff with or without robots. mostly with robots.
Some years ago he started selling extremely limited prints of his works (mostly 50 or 20 per print, some bigger sizes in even less numbers). Got lucky on a few (and one big one i sadly can't show here) but missed also missed out on some that i still chase after.

Some comic readers will probably recognize the name by his Spawn or Judge Dredd comics.

So here are some examples of his WWR work.

JtTXrIj.jpg

QyPYZY0.jpg

Sol6582.jpg

And one from PopBot

cVNx1fM.jpg

I'm myself a big fan of Ashley Wood.
Stumbled upon him and his work when he started 3A, collected WWR (World War Robot) toys for many years and eventually got introduced to his artwork as well. So if you know Ash you also know that you can't post about 2/3 of his art because when it comes to his oil paintings he either paints robots or NSFW/L stuff with or without robots. mostly with robots.
Some years ago he started selling extremely limited prints of his works (mostly 50 or 20 per print, some bigger sizes in even less numbers). Got lucky on a few (and one big one i sadly can't show here) but missed also missed out on some that i still chase after.

Some comic readers will probably recognize the name by his Spawn or Judge Dredd comics.

So here are some examples of his WWR work.

JtTXrIj.jpg

QyPYZY0.jpg

Sol6582.jpg

And one from PopBot

cVNx1fM.jpg

This is someone I'm definitely interested in looking into so thank you for this!

Chiara Bautista's drawings make me happy.

I spend a lot of time on Artstation.com and have tons of bookmarks at home, but those are two that come to mind immediately.
Chiara Bautista is another one I had in mind when making the thread but her name escaped my mind but I really love her Rabbit and Wolf works.

Oh my gosh! You fuck with Kuvshinov-Ilya too!

His stuff is superb coloring is on point and everything looks really smooth.

I follow a lot of black artists on Instagram:

@actionhankbeard

@johnzylstra

I would post more but there's no easy way to show people's stuff off of Instagram without links.
I follow actionhankbeard too, but on Deviantart. Please, give me your whole list.

mu cephei

Maruyama Okyo - Pines in the snow
7aF04n6.jpg

vOlWq2D.jpg

Mark Dion - Tar and Feathers
1dbUjsm.jpg

Turner - Waves Breaking Against the Wind
5m5ADHz.jpg

Turner - Sun Setting Over a Lake
VTF2mZ5.jpg

and to break the colour coordination, Edmund Dulac - The Queen of Sheba
LSnfol1.jpg

These are pretty random, there's far far too much I like. Other than the Dulac it's the more recent work I've liked.

bman94

Oh my gosh! You fuck with Kuvshinov-Ilya too!

His stuff is superb coloring is on point and everything looks really smooth.

I follow actionhankbeard too, but on Deviantart. Please, give me your whole list.

@christiantrapmuzik [Marcus Prime]
@bmoesart
@el.carna
@duchess365
@sheeba_maya
@marcusthevisual
@dennis_artworks
@for_the_art_of_auset
@silrance
@mr.drawmatic
@kinopia
@xpayneart
@jessiedrawz
@majorzart
@mattahan
@artistsheena
@just_solomon
@mvstr_graphite
@tokyomcflyy
@endigochild
@arti5t_jg0803
@asieybarbie
@melmadedooks

I think that's all of them

eot

Banned
This is a photo I remember seeing years ago, so I guess it stuck with me. Quite retouched, but still

Red

Though he's better known for his writing, I've always liked Victor Hugo's drawings. His drawing of a cephalopod is one of my favorites. I wish I could find it as a large print.

Trokil

Banned
Poor people soup by Albert Anker (1893)

1850-1890_Armenwesen_M_Bern_Anker_Armensuppe_1890_GANZ.jpg

Because it is a good reminder how Switzerland looked before social security about 130 years ago, how poor people were, how many children they had and how good life is now.

He also did these incredible detailed paintings of everyday people like this girl peeling potatoes.

Anker_Die_kleine_Kartoffelsch%C3%A4lerin_1886.jpg

He has a little bit of a bad reputation now, because one of the heads of the biggest right wing party is a big Anker fan, even if Anker was more of a leftist.

Really love Killian Eng's work. I find his scifi themed stuff inspiring.

tumblr_msgwmgDQSr1qbluruo1_1280.jpg

Also huge fan Earle Eywind's landscapes. Just love his style. Can't blame the banner saga devs for using it.

earle_big_sur_pasture_serig.jpg

three-horses-1987.jpg

Oooo, never seen these before thanks. I follow a handful of Japanese artists too but I'll have to look through all my following list again lol.
I'd also love to see any other lists of artists you have! And sorry if I seem like I glossed over or ignored anyone, I've definitely been looking through everything posted and meant to respond but I've been up and about and keep getting sidetracked. That being said I've enjoyed seeing everything posted so far.

orioto

Good Art™
fav painters, general for use of color

Ivan Chichkine

ivan-chichkine-chenaie-1887.jpg

Ivan Aivazovsky

Stormy_sea_at_night.jpg

Frederic Edwin Church

IMG_0099.JPG

James Webb

cartagena-spain.jpg

Thomas Moran

Brooklyn_Museum_-_Sunset_at_Sea_-_Thomas_Moran_-_overall.jpg

And many others!

gamz

My Wife's Ex is an amazing artist. We have some of his work in our house. I'll post when I get the chance to take a pic of it.

iidesuyo

Ten years ago, I visited a friend in Switzerland. We visited a small castle one day, where I stumbled over the painting below. I don't know the age or the name of the painter, but somehow it burnt into my memory.

Sorry for the bad quality, back in 2006 mobile phones had cheap cameras.

tGs0Ins.jpg

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've got too many favorites in the classical and street and modern era to fill just one reply so i'll stick to my most influential comic book artists for now cause I see their stuff and wonder ... how... HOW do people do work like this on time tables like they do. It will always blow my mind.

Jamie Hewlett -
qVsqFz1.jpg

gN93HD7.jpg

Also of Gorillaz fame but we all seen that work. So clean. So busy. Sooooo good.

Hiroaki Samura -

e5utIte.jpg

RYPXUOq.jpg

Matt Wagner - my local hero.

3RSoCjE.png

Also Jeff Darrow, Eduardo Risso, Bryan Hitch, Chris Weston.... could go on and on.

Oooo, never seen these before thanks. I follow a handful of Japanese artists too but I'll have to look through all my following list again lol.

Ah, you good. Actually black fenrir isn't black, but he paints black women almost exclusively and I think he's married to a black woman since he said his daughter's blasian.
It's been a while since I've seen melmadedooks, I follow him on Facebook, but I hardly check mine anymore, and gosh damn if that shit isn't top tier. That's goals for me.

I didn't even share any with the thread myself. Here are some artists I fuck with:

Tako-dna (Artist of upcoming manga Tephlon Funk)
tumblr_o48groxUtj1s5lsruo1_540.jpg

Omar Dogan
Does some good ass copic marker work.

ChaseConoley (Artist of Black Dynamite animated series)

I've got too many favorites in the classical and street and modern era to fill just one reply so i'll stick to my most influential comic book artists for now cause I see their stuff and wonder ... how... HOW do people do work like this on time tables like they do. It will always blow my mind.

Jamie Hewlett -
qVsqFz1.jpg

gN93HD7.jpg

Also of Gorillaz fame but we all seen that work. So clean. So busy. Sooooo good.

Hiroaki Samura -

e5utIte.jpg

RYPXUOq.jpg

Matt Wagner - my local hero.

3RSoCjE.png

Also Jeff Darrow, Eduardo Risso, Bryan Hitch, Chris Weston.... could go on and on.

You know, I'm actually angry at myself for forgetting Jamie Hewlett as his work was the first art I really got into, along with Gorillaz being the first bit of music I really loved way back when I was like seven years old. Definitely had a huge influence on me.
Ah, you good. Actually black fenrir isn't black, but he paints black women almost exclusively and I think he's married to a black woman since he said his daughter's blasian.
It's been a while since I've seen melmadedooks, I follow him on Facebook, but I hardly check mine anymore, and gosh damn if that shit isn't top tier. That's goals for me.

I didn't even share any with the thread myself. Here are some artists I fuck with:

Tako-dna (Artist of upcoming manga Tephlon Funk)

tumblr_o48groxUtj1s5lsruo1_540.jpg

Omar Dogan

Does some good ass copic marker work.

ChaseConoley (Artist of Black Dynamite animated series)

That Chase piece is amazing, might've found another new favorite artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom