• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Speculate: Monolith's Wonder Woman

ProtoByte

Game doesn't get talked about much, but I think it has potential to be something great and to be shown off soon. WB's gotten Hogwarts Legacy out of the way, they're moving on with promo for their next titles with new Mortal Kombat first, and they'll want to get the disgusting tastes of Gotham Knights and Suicide Sales out of people's mouths. We know that this game is single player and narrative focused, so no worries there.

First off, I gotta say that this is a strangely fitting project for Monolith, to the point that we should've assumed it to be obvious. The Middle Earth duology equipped them with recent experience of swords and sorcery without pigeonholing them into the exact same aesthetic, gameplay or narrative conceits.

No One Lives Forever was so long ago and Cate Archer's being a woman isn't a qualifier for this project, but there is something a little charmed about the studio's journey from that to this.

The last thing is that, being honest, there's not much great solo Wonder Woman stuff out there. They've got a chance to make an authoritative conception of the character here, the same way Arkham had arguably the most definitive version of Batman.

So getting into what the game could be about - again, there's probably gonna be a lot of new, non-comics material here. They're not gonna pull the same general plot line from the movie, and we know this game is set in modern times, but whatever it is, it'll have to justify the use of the nemesis system. If it is about Diana going from hero to leader, I would hope that the story presents the difficult realities of what being a leader means. This might not have us leading an offensive against the JLA's HQ, but my guess is there's going to be some internal conflict in Themyscira.

To me, the trailer suggests that the Lasso of Truth will be the tool that lets Diana build her faction. Even in the comics, its got more uses than just making bad guys snitch, so expect that to be expanded on here. Who knows how exactly they'll make it more robust and elegant in presentation/story, but all I know is that I want to see scenarios that make Shadow of War look like child's play.

This goes for gameplay too. I don't think freeflow combat will work here. The specific rhythm of that button combo is pretty played out, but it also wouldn't suit Wonder Woman's power level or powerset, or that of her enemies; which all deserve to take full advantage of new gen hardware. A lot more NPCs, a lot more environmental interaction and destruction, faster movement and better verticality.

When do you think the game will come out, and what do you want from it if anything?

Last edited:

Camreezie

Is the use of the Nemesis system confirmed? If so that will be super interesting to see how they integrate it

ProtoByte

Is the use of the Nemesis system confirmed? If so that will be super interesting to see how they integrate it
In the trailer description:

She will fight to unite the warriors of two worlds.
You are Wonder Woman.

In development by Monolith Productions, creators of the critically acclaimed Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor™ and sequel Middle-earth: Shadow of War™, this open-world action-adventure game will feature the beloved DC Super Hero, Wonder Woman.

The single player open-world action game will introduce an original story set in the DC Universe and allow players to become Diana of Themyscira in the fight to unite her Amazon family and the humans from the modern world.

Powered by the Nemesis System, gamers will forge deep connections with both enemies and allies as they progress from a heroic fighter into a proven leader.

"The warriors of two worlds"
Interesting to see who you can recruit from the human world on earth...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
In the trailer description:

"The warriors of two worlds"
Interesting to see who you can recruit from the human world on earth...
Cassie and Donna are a lock.
While both demigods they are tied to the new world more than to Themyscira.
Steve is also likely in, but I wonder how worthwhile a "regular" human would be to Wonder Woman in game.
Im hoping Giganta is actually an ally instead of a villain cuz Giganta and Wonder Woman begrudgingly working together is always a fun time.

For Amazons shes got more than enough allies.

trial-of-the-amazons-dc-comics-2022.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
I speculate that this game will be mediocre. The way DC has built up this character into a practically invincible being tells me that a video game about her will probably suffer from the same trappings as Superman games.

VN1X

Banned
Honestly, I'd be fine with a Shadow of Mordor reskin with Wonder Woman mechanics/abilities. Bring it!

Black_Stride

I speculate that this game will be mediocre. The way DC has built up this character into a practically invincible being tells me that a video game about her will probably suffer from the same trappings as Superman games.
If it can atleast match Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War, I think we are in for a good time.
Talion is literally immortal in those games but it still plays out well.
4f32a977-7b5a-4840-9c73-2201c8ef1766_text.gif

Wonder Woman has threats that can hurt her in universe, shes not all powerful or invincible like Superman.
Theres a reason she still deflects bullets instead of just tanking them like Superman would.
Hell her current incarnation has shield.
6850214-0988737047-wonde.jpg

And im guessing they will ignore that she can fly in the game (the comics seem to forget this at times too), so it would be more grounded than a Superman game, cuz ignoring Superman can fly is too much of an oversight, ignoring WW can fly well, thats just par for the course.

Both Shadow of games are currently under 5 dollars on Steam for anyone who wants to give them a go.
Imagine wasting the nemesys system on a fucking wonder woman game...
Stay your tongue heathen!

ReBurn

Gold Member
If it can atleast match Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War, I think we are in for a good time.
Talion is literally immortal in those games but it still plays out well.
4f32a977-7b5a-4840-9c73-2201c8ef1766_text.gif

Wonder Woman has threats that can hurt her in universe, shes not all powerful or invincible like Superman.
Theres a reason she still deflects bullets instead of just tanking them like Superman would.
Hell her current incarnation has shield.
6850214-0988737047-wonde.jpg

And im guessing they will ignore that she can fly in the game (the comics seem to forget this at times too), so it would be more grounded than a Superman game, cuz ignoring Superman can fly is too much of an oversight, ignoring WW can fly well, thats just par for the course.

Both Shadow of games are currently under 5 dollars on Steam for anyone who wants to give them a go.

Stay your tongue heathen!
If they follow anything in the recent movies she'll be a complete Mary Sue. Things can hurt her, sure, but they never really do because she's too smart and too fast for it to actually happen. She took a direct headbutt from Superman and left a crater, but her hair and makeup were still perfect.

They can put her in a God of War hack and slasher, but it would take work to make it something that only the overpowered character she's become could manage.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

If they follow anything in the recent movies she'll be a complete Mary Sue. Things can hurt her, sure, but they never really do because she's too smart and too fast for it to actually happen. She took a direct headbutt from Superman and left a crater, but her hair and makeup were still perfect.

They can put her in a God of War hack and slasher, but it would take work to make it something that only the overpowered character she's become could manage.
Why would they base the game off the movies, when they have years and years of comics to build off of, and her comic runs have been doing well (thanks in part to the movie) where she gets injured all the time.
If shes actually invincible in the game theyve fucked themselves.
I wouldnt use the DC movies as a gauge of anything.
They are dumbed down to fit into [whatever the runtime was].

The most likely outcome is that itll play similar to Shadow of Mordor/War, enemies are powerful enough to kill her if you dont play properly, but if you are skilled you become a walking god taking near no damage.
Higher level enemies are a legit threat to the player and getting ganged up on can easily be fatal.

A leveled Talion was absolutely unstoppable, raiding a camp I didnt even bother going in stealth, I was good enough to take the camp out entirely violently, and wouldnt even bother killing the guy who calls for backup, cuz imma fuck up that backup too.

And that was part of the fun of those games, as you got better and got new skills you legit felt powerful.

The nemesis system adds on so much as well, cuz when you get fucked up and return for vengeance, you find out that orc is now also leveled up and this might have been a bad idea.

ProtoByte

Cassie and Donna are a lock.
While both demigods they are tied to the new world more than to Themyscira.
Steve is also likely in, but I wonder how worthwhile a "regular" human would be to Wonder Woman in game.
Im hoping Giganta is actually an ally instead of a villain cuz Giganta and Wonder Woman begrudgingly working together is always a fun time.

For Amazons shes got more than enough allies.

trial-of-the-amazons-dc-comics-2022.jpg
I was more thinking about original characters than named superheroes from the comics. That's the whole point of the nemesis system right?
I was thinking "are we going to be recruiting US Marines or something?"

There will definitely be other Amazonian characters, original and comics based, but I'm not sure about seeing any of Diana's side kicks for now.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Zero interest in this tbh. The only things that I know about WW is that there was some cornball TV show in the 60s and that they recently made one decent and one horrible movie. Also Gal Gadot is hot as fuck.

Who is she supposed to be fighting anyway? The Germans? Who's like the arch-nemesis for her?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Monolith haven't made great, memorable and exceptional games since 1st (and arguably 2nd) F.E.A.R., so I don't expect anything good from them after their below average LOTR games.

ProtoByte

Imagine wasting the nemesys system on a fucking wonder woman game...
Exactly what else should they use it for?
I get some of you guys are tired of superhero IP, but I also think games can rejuvenate even a cynic's interest in them. If not, I think you're in for a bad time going forward - IP licensing is only going to become more important in this medium going forward.

ProtoByte

Feeling powerful is fun for about an hour before it gets incredibly boring.
Feeling power =/= feeling untouchable.

Powerful player characters are only more satisfying to control when the player is pitted against similarly powerful and capable opponents.

That's what I expect out of this, and other games.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Feeling power =/= feeling untouchable.

Powerful player characters are only more satisfying to control when the player is pitted against similarly powerful and capable opponents.

That's what I expect out of this, and other games.
That's not what happened in the middle Earth games. It just got easier and easier.

ProtoByte

That's not what happened in the middle Earth games. It just got easier and easier.
Doesn't mean we can't have expectations.
Plus, people seemed to like even Shadow of War well enough.

They've learned some lessons and have much better tech. It's not a guarantee, but it's not wholly improbable.

GymWolf

Capeshit is not as successful as it was a couple of years ago and without the simping for the actress, i'm not sure if many people are gonna give much fucks about wonder woman.

Don't get me wrong, it is gonna sell well, but less tham you expect imo.

Alos, i'm not a share holder, i give 2 fucks about how many money they do, i was talking from a player perspective.

GymWolf

Exactly what else should they use it for?
I get some of you guys are tired of superhero IP, but I also think games can rejuvenate even a cynic's interest in them. If not, I think you're in for a bad time going forward - IP licensing is only going to become more important in this medium going forward.
A new brand? A more interesting character than wonder woman? How many chance we have that she is gonma be well written during these times of girl power...

Hopefully i'm wrong and the game is gonna be incredible, condemned is one of my favourite game ever so i kinda trust the devs.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

A new brand? A more interesting character than wonder woman? How many chance we have that she is gonma be well written during these times of girl power...

Hopefully i'm wrong and the game is gonna be incredible, condemned is one of my favourite game ever so i kinda trust the devs.
This studio is owned by WB, so it was practically impossible they were going to work on an original IP.
If it was an original IP or a different character from DC, there would be no more reason to trust the writing behind the game than there is with Wonder Woman. In fact, if anything, it would not be unlikely that it would be way worse going if the game wasn't based around a household name that needs to be protected; you can bet Zaslav is keeping his eye on this one.

Believe me, I am beyond sick of the "progressive" stench in gaming and , and some point it'll come to a head where the industry really needs to choose whether they want to chase ESG funds in an economy that won't have the luxury for that bullshit. But if WB is as smart as they were with Hogwarts, they'll make sure they keep the fuck shit from some of the loonies they have in the ranks down to a minimum here. I did do a cursory check on exactly who is writing this, and I'm far from impressed. But we shall see.

Black_Stride

I was more thinking about original characters than named superheroes from the comics. That's the whole point of the nemesis system right?
I was thinking "are we going to be recruiting US Marines or something?"

There will definitely be other Amazonian characters, original and comics based, but I'm not sure about seeing any of Diana's side kicks for now.
Ahh the War Games aspect of the Nemesis system?
I dont know if they will implement that but could be interesting if she ends up recruiting people onto her side for whatever the overarching storyline is.
Zero interest in this tbh. The only things that I know about WW is that there was some cornball TV show in the 60s and that they recently made one decent and one horrible movie. Also Gal Gadot is hot as fuck.

Who is she supposed to be fighting anyway? The Germans? Who's like the arch-nemesis for her?
She has the entire pantheon of Greek Mythology to pick heroes and villains from.

• Ares is constantly irredeemable and makes a good big bad. (He can also empower people so they can use that to explain why Humans are taking hits from WW)
  • Minerva is always a given.
  • Maxwell Lord......but I wouldnt really want to see him.
  • Hades has been an ally and a villain.
  • Grail, Darkseids daughter who is half amazon.
  • Dr.Medusa, yes she has similar abilities as mythological Medusa.
  • Duke of Deception with enough creativity could by the ScareCrow moment in the game.
  • Circe would be an interesting fight from a gameplay perspective.
  • Doctor Poison could be the person making the "generic enemies" we pummel.
  • Giganta is hopefully an ally cuz whenever Giganta and Wonder Woman "hangout" its a fun time, but if shes a villain then a skyscraper sized one is as good as it gets.
  • Queen of Fables....yes that one who makes Fairy Tales a reality.....most Fairy Tales are actually kinda fucked up.

Feeling powerful is fun for about an hour before it gets incredibly boring.

You are talking shit.

Without the skill to backup your skill tree you will still get fucked up because the enemies get heavily upgraded towards the endgame, i think it was even a complaint people had that there was a difficulty spike cuz enemies start gaining traits that require you to actually play the game, and a fully alerted fortress will absolutely fuck you up.

Half the tactics that work at the start of the game are all but useless versus late game generals.
The nemesis system giving uruks special abilities also makes it literally impossible for you to "get bored" cuz you have no idea what traits the next general is gonna have......some cant be grabbed at all so flipping over them is a no go, some are fully resistant to ranged damage so no more pots shots from the hills, rage modifiers.....etc etc.

There are so many variations saying you got bored after an hour makes me think you never actually played the games......cuz in an hour you wouldnt even have the first row of named Uruks let alone being powerful enough to actually do a full raid.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t know a lot about Wonder Woman save for the cheesy shit like the invisible jet and lasso of truth. Who does she fight? A Cheetah chick? Whatever lol. I’m sure it’ll be fun.

But the mods. The mods are going to be *chef’s kiss*

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
As long as they remember that she ISN'T the female version of SUPERMAN it should be fine. There's no reason, especially with her lasso, that you can't just go full GOW or SOM/W on this one with the nemesis system. I will say though. . .she's not a fucking stealth character. She beats the shit out of people. Let her beat the shit out of people.

Capeshit is not as successful as it was a couple of years ago
I’ll believe this if the Guardians 3 movie flops, if Spider-Man 2 video game flops, if the Wolverine game flops, and if the start of the new DCU flops.

The real issue you’re having is twofold. One, you and some others here are personally fatigued and are thinking everyone else is, when everyone else just wants better writing in hero stories and better video games starring heroes, not for them to die out completely. And two, is that we experienced a mixed quality(post-Covid period) set of films and shows so from that perspective things were rocky.

I don’t count Sony and neither should anyone when it comes to hero films and statistics. Nearly every Sony comic film since after Amazing Spider-Man 1 has been ranging from bad to awful, and if there’s anyone with a stench that needs to either sell the property or go away it’s Sony’s comic movie division, but Avi Arad somehow continues to keep his job position despite every single ball of garbage he chucks at a film reel. Anyone higher up with a brain would have had their last straw with him after Morbius.

Aside from that small rant on Sony Pictures, it will take time for both DC and Marvel to turn their ships around. Thankfully GotG 3 is a good movie and James Gunn is already moving forward with his entire DC vision, so even if Marvel still has a bad couple of years coming up before the turn around, DC will be making up for it.

As a last note, there’s hype threads and videos on every website about every crumb and morsel insomniac throws at the internet regarding Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine, even if it’s just a two word tweet. I think it’s clear that people just want great hero games to keep existing alongside other great games.

CAPSOL

I don’t know a lot about Wonder Woman save for the cheesy shit like the invisible jet and lasso of truth. Who does she fight? A Cheetah chick? Whatever lol. I’m sure it’ll be fun.

But the mods. The mods are going to be *chef’s kiss*
time to read a comic book

ProtoByte

It’s posts like these where I wish there was a down thumb reaction. WW is great and an icon. Especially for women. Compared to a dude that just throws a shield at people….
Okay, let's not get too crazy. Steve Rogers/Captain America is an all time great character.

I'm pretty excited to see this game, but I xan understand why it's not on the radar for that many at this point. Again, it's arguable that Wonder Woman has never really had a seminal solo storyline, and that's certainly true as of recently. Her movies were okay at best and terrible at worst, and I wouldn't say either of them truthfully depict anything like a comic accurate version.

This game is the perfect chance to get at the core of what could make the character great and elevate it. I think games are the best medium to adapt... well, anything that can be adapted feasibly, but especially comic book superheroes.

Prior to this Wonder Woman game, has there ever been a solo female superhero game? On any platform? Ever?
Nope.

I can't say I'm a huge WW fan, but I am a sucker for games with attractive female mains/ protagonists, so I'm definitely intrigued...
with the potential outfit mods we'll see in the PC version :messenger_smiling_horns::love:😻👙🍑

sertopico

Give us another No one lives forever. I really enjoyed few games like that one.

How it ended up with the IP's ownership?

I can't say I'm a huge WW fan, but I am a sucker for games with attractive female mains/ protagonists, so I'm definitely intrigued...
with the potential outfit mods we'll see in the PC version :messenger_smiling_horns::love:😻👙🍑
If the sex sells audience liked Batgirl’s curves in Gotham Knights, then they’re in for a treat with Wonder Woman.

wondermega

For those who say they are tired of superhero games - I mean, ALL games are super hero games, essentially. As far as adapting mythos/characterizations etc, I can see how that can become quickly tiresome if not at least crafted well. But nearly any action game you like (even some sports games) involve you controlling a superhuman character and using elevated/fantastic powers to interact with other characters and environment. Of course I am generalizing a but, but you know what I am saying.

As for WW..

Never cared for the character, the 1st movie was forgettable and the sequel was garbage, but I'm absolutely sold that there is potential for a great game with this theme. I mean, the Russo Bros. did the unthinkable and shook the cobwebs off the Captain America concept and made it really cool, never minding the interesting character & world but just his concept as an action character and his abilities. To me, WW can be handled much better if she is thought of in the same vein (basically much closer to Cap & his abilities than the OP Superman) which I think is a pretty fair, relatable interpretation of the character. Gameplay-wise, you can get a ton of close combat/interesting shield action plus swordplay, add the whip on top of that and it starts opening up a ton of potential. As for the world, hidden lush Amazon island would be absolutely beautiful, Greek mythology is pretty easy to mine for all sorts of interesting gameplay elements, characters & world.

And then if you do any fish out of water stuff, that can only be interesting as well (getting back to the Cap powerset). Taking on a mid-century army or modern-day warfare.

To stretch off-topic a little, but along a similar train of thought - you could likewise do a GREAT game with She-hulk. The PS2 Hulk game was a ton of fun and it's dumb we've not really seen much more along those lines in the several years since. SH could be an interesting take with similar mechanics but as she's not (typically) an out-of-control rampaging monster, per se, there are a lot of things you could do there that wouldn't make so much sense with her male counterpart. Like many I was very disappointed in the recent D+ series because, never minding the rest of the issues with it, there was almost NO action in the show (I know, budget blah blah). I want a Hulk (or She-hulk) story where she is regularly picking up cars and trucks and chucking them at tanks or helicopters or huge robot killing machines or whatever. Add in some terribly cheesy Spidey-style banter and call it a day.

Lastly (and to bring it back around) I'll say, never minding the IP "badging" of such games, just consider if this type of game sounds fun to you if they had to strip away the license? In cases of either thing I described, I am sure plenty of people would argue that they would surely be on board so long as the project was handled capably and given good budget put together lovingly, all things considered. I feel like we are kind of just past the cusp of when superhero games were just shat out to make a quick buck, and they are realizing that there is a lot more to be successful w long legged projects here. It worked for Batman & Spidey, I am sure the Wolverine game will be exceptional, no reason this one couldn't as well. Time will tell, as they say (but to bring it back to reality.. yeah.. potential aside, who knows what will happen).

mdkirby

Might be good, might be crap, my excitement for it is pretty not existent currently. Of all the possible super heroes Wonder Woman wouldn’t even factor on a list of top 20 I’d be interested in. But I’ll give it a go, maybe it’ll be great 🤷‍♂️

ProtoByte

I'd be shocked if this doesn't get shown off during this pseudo-E3 season, but question is whether or not PlayStation will make time for it at their showcase. They seem to be in good graces with WB, so I don't see why not.

Top Bottom