• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Wonder Woman Game to be Live Service Hints Job Ads as WB Vows to Double Down on GaaS

Kurotri

Such a stupid fucking publisher. They do this even AFTER the backlash against Suicide Squad and the insane success story that Hogwarts Legacy represents as a single player focused game, yet they want to double down. I worry about the next HP game.

GoTG might not have been a huge success, maybe due to Avengers, but at least people for the most part have rather more positive things to say than bad and probably would have welcomed another similar stab, while Avengers, while not entirely terrible for most people, mostly the main story was not trash, but everything afterwards was just repetitive and also lacking high level content. So entirely unsuited for long term success.
Why not start with a regular SP game, build a regular limited MP on top of it and expand into GaaS if it happens naturally? GaaS for Avengers was at least on paper a much better idea than for Suicide Squad which is an assemble of niche characters anyway or a single (?) character like WW.
Make good games for Batman, WW, Aquaman, Cyborg and then when that is done migrate it into one giant Justice League game? Did WB learn anything from Marvel and their own somewhat rushed DC universe movies. What superhero games were really successfull the last years? Spiderman! anything else? Or look to their own success: Hogwarts was praised and sold well.
Gaas has certainly a place in gaming, but way too many try it without letting it cook long enough and or lack of talent creating a loop that keeps people attached.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Elaborate :(

Most gamers don't realize that Splinter Cell Double Agent isn't where the series went off track. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is where the series went off track.

WB has a rich pedigree of making successful single player games. If they're looking at the road ahead and saying "It's time to swerve!" then they see something in the model that dangerous.

There's a lot of gamers that let their preferences of certain game types cloud their strategic thinking.

Most gamers don't realize that Splinter Cell Double Agent isn't where the series went off track. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is where the series went off track.

WB has a rich pedigree of making successful single player games. If they're looking at the road ahead and saying "It's time to swerve!" then they see something in the model that dangerous.

There's a lot of gamers that let their preferences of certain game types cloud their strategic thinking.
Counter: Could it be that they’re just stupid old crusty out of touch greedy executives chasing money and adhering the charts and trends?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Counter: Could it be that they’re just stupid old crusty out of touch greedy executives chasing money and adhering the charts and trends?

Absolutely.

This could be a terrible decision on WBs fault.

But you have to weigh that potential against the potential of gamers not knowing anything that's going on.

I tend to side with the most successful companies in the industry, who have binders of data, over gamers whose thinking isn't much more advanced than "I like this so they should make this."

Gamers don't have a great reputation.

Last edited:

JPSLotus97T

Should be great when WB's future sales crater because no one wants to play this stupid GAAS shit.

All these companies think they're going to rake in tons of money on this stuff but they don't seem to get there's a finite slice of the pie to be had.

ahtlas7

Dog Gif GIF

Looks like I’m not playing it then. These fuckers will have to learn the hard way.
Yeah and then you look at Yakuza 8 spoiling us with quality content. Even if Im not playing the game any time soon, they get my money day 1. Whereas Suicide Squad and this Wonder Woman wont see a dime. Shame.

MirageMew2

Wonder Woman and her famous supporting cast, Wonder Woman with a gun, Wonder Woman with a Bow, Wonder Woman with a Spear.

I feel bad for Monolith. WB execs forced them to include monetization in Shadow of War with disastrous results... and a few years later it's happening again.

Katajx

Gold Member
If they were gonna do something live service I would rather it be something liked DCUO, but maybe at the scale of destiny. For their DC content atleast.

Maybe some 4 person teams, and then some social hubs. I think one of the large issues would be generating meaningful, replayable content. So multiplayer sounds good.

The team behind my vision would probably be massive and unfeasible.
The idea of grouping together with some friends and playing through something like a comic storyline every so often with in-game rewards and inevitable MTX sounds appealing though.

I do sort of miss what seems like a simpler time when they would have offered like a story pack where you have some idea of what you are paying for instead of being MTX driven.

K2D

Banned
How many times do game publishers have to fail consecutively with GaaS to learn that it doesn't pay off? Is this a new joke in the making?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How many times do game publishers have to fail consecutively with GaaS to learn that it doesn't pay off? Is this a new joke in the making?

Imagine hearing people say "Gollum, Returnal, Balan Wonderworld, Demons Souls, Deathloop etc...failed. How many times do wee need to see single player flops before publishers realize..."

They have access to metrics you don't.

Imagine hearing people say "Gollum, Returnal, Balan Wonderworld, Demons Souls, Deathloop etc...failed. How many times do wee need to see single player flops before publishers realize..."

They have access to metrics you don't.
Almost a good analogy but not quite. Those are all niche games bro. You average normie isn’t going to buy those. A better example would be god of war, last of us, Spider-Man, horizon etc

Which do sell really well

mdkirby

Annnnnd the likelihood of me playing it has now dropped to borderline 0%…I guess this will most likely end up another game on the dumpster fire pile of failed GAAS games.🤷‍♂️

BossLackey

Gold Member
Who makes these stupid fucking decisions?!

I really don't understand it.

We all know this is going to flop. We KNOW it. So how do they not?

mdkirby

Chances are Hogwarts 2 will be GaaS as well at this juncture. :(
This is what I find so bizarre they’ve banked well in excess of $1bn on hogwartz…and instead of doubling down on that they are going all in on GAAS, which particularly in recent years has been near back to back failure for any big traditionally single player studio attempting, and the vast majority falling flat on their face, sometimes killing the studios in the process.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Almost a good analogy but not quite. Those are all niche games bro. You average normie isn’t going to buy those. A better example would be god of war, last of us, Spider-Man, horizon etc

Which do sell really well

The argument is always..."Knockout City, Rumbleverse and Hypsercape failed...therefore the Live Service market is saturated."

Just apply that logic to the single player failures and see how silly it sounds.

Deerock71

I'm okay with AA and indies as my go-to single player experiences. I'll stick with Fortnite as my go-to as GaaS, and WB can fuck right off.

The argument is always..."Knockout City, Rumbleverse and Hypsercape failed...therefore the Live Service market is saturated."

Just apply that logic to the single player failures and see how silly it sounds.
No I think the argument is usually anthem, avengers, Gotham knights etc

big AAA games. What you named would be the equivalent of your first analogy with demon souls and the like

StueyDuck

after shadow of war and it being WB in general like SS I thought that this was kind of just a given

Last edited:

StueyDuck

that's not really an apt comparison and is a fundamental part of what the "as a Service" part of GAAS is all about.

a SP game (physical) can be picked up and played 20 years later if you have all the relative equipment, a MP Live service (or live service in general, as in always online) could be dead 20 years later if game didn't succeed and the servers are shut down.

i'd love to still be playing Warhawk but it's not officially supported in any means anymore, but i can put Resistance 2 in my PS3 and it'll play the campaign.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
that's not really an apt comparison and is a fundamental part of what the "as a Service" part of GAAS is all about.

a SP game (physical) can be picked up and played 20 years later if you have all the relative equipment, a MP Live service (or live service in general, as in always online) could be dead 20 years later if game didn't succeed and the servers are shut down.

i'd love to still be playing Warhawk but it's not officially supported in any means anymore, but i can put Resistance 2 in my PS3 and it'll play the campaign.

That's a different topic altogether. Some music lovers spend most of their time+money going to concerts. Some music lovers spend most of their time+money buying music.

One isn't innately better than the other.

The issue we're talking about here is WB believing the Live Service market is more lucrative than the other one.

EDMIX

lol this is like the worst combination of anything.

Be like "girls will want to play it, but ONLINE"

miklonus

They're killin' me. They're killin' me. I wanted a Wonder Woman game badly and they do this!? Live service? Man it sucks to be a DC Comics fan.

Top Bottom