• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Warner Bros: Wonder Woman game is *not* a Live Service Game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
A Monolith Productions job listing suggests the upcoming Wonder Woman game will have live service elements, but Warner Bros. is saying that its focus will be squarely on single-player.

Warner Bros. responded with a statement to IGN denying that it will be a service game. "Wonder Woman is a single-player action-adventure game set in a dynamic open-world. This third person experience will allow players to become Diana of Themyscira and introduce an original story set in the DC Universe, while also featuring the Nemesis System. Wonder Woman is not being designed as a live service," a Warner Bros. spokesperson said.

Rumors spread fast, but this one was BS.

Good, because I was in a disbelief that the lesson they learned from Hogwarts would be to make more GAAS trash.

ssringo

Cool. Hope it's actually true and not simply a pivot following backlash. Don't let us down.

Wonder Woman GIF
Cartoon Network Dc GIF by Warner Archive
Happy Wonder Woman GIF

Shubh_C63

Well good.
It has the potential to be an iconic pillar of gaming because of the protagonist. They won't fuck this up.

ProtoByte

Job post lurking can be overdone, it seems.
Well good.
It has the potential to be an iconic pillar of gaming because of the protagonist. They won't fuck this up.
Eh. I would wait before saying that. Given the way writers currently are in... every industry, there's a high chance that this becomes some kind of hyper-feminist think piece replete with "ew, men" rhetoric, and general lesbian glorification. God knows they've been using Wonder Woman as DC's "gay icon" in the comics for years now.

radewagon

Return of the Nemesis System? OK now I'm interested.
Oh, cool, an overrated gimmick that people really loved. I'll never understand the appeal. It added almost nothing to the experience. It felt as innovative as the radiant quest missions in Fallout 4 except, for some reason, people loved it. I could totally do without ever having to put up with procedurally generated story content ever again.

MAtgS

Can we get confirmation of whether this is in the Arkhamverse or not while we're at it? Because boy do I not want SSKTJL to be that continuity's swan song.

ProtoByte

Can we get confirmation of whether this is in the Arkhamverse or not while we're at it? Because boy do I not want SSKTJL to be that continuity's swan song.
I hope not. Arkham is not suitable for a wider universe. Not with that goddamn ending in Knight.

Laptop1991

The nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor was good but i didn't like it in Shadow of War, and the 2nd game was a let down for me, will be interesting to see how they do it, and you have to take everything game companies say with a pinch of salt now, i'll wait until it's out.

Hudo

Man, I like Monolith (both Productions and Soft). No One Lives Forever 2 is still one of the best FPS games ever made. Blood, Tron 2.0, Fear.... man. Great games. I even had some fun playing the Mordor games. So... let's see what they're cooking, I guess.

Flutta

Banned
They will most likely make her ugly because reasons. Either way will prob play this with mods IF the game looks promising that is.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Oh, cool, an overrated gimmick that people really loved. I'll never understand the appeal. It added almost nothing to the experience. It felt as innovative as the radiant quest missions in Fallout 4 except, for some reason, people loved it. I could totally do without ever having to put up with procedurally generated story content ever again.

If you don’t understand the appeal of something that you admit everyone loved, don’t you think you’re the one out of touch?

principal skinner old people GIF

radewagon

If you don’t understand the appeal of something that you admit everyone loved, don’t you think you’re the one out of touch?

principal skinner old people GIF

Look, man. Thinking the Nemesis system is dumb and overrated is hardly worth pointing out as a thing that makes me out of touch. I'm a gamer in my 40's who's
  • never watched a whole super bowl,
  • unironically enjoys Highlander Part II,
  • couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song,
  • thinks Over the Garden Wall is criminally overlooked by the general public,
  • just read is a comic book adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness,
  • actually still buys physical media,
  • has never used instagram,
  • loves Bob Dylan music and thinks his voice sounds fine,
  • etc, etc, etc.
Bro, at this stage in my life, I'm clearly the Principal Skinner of society. "Out of Touch" isn't a bug for me anymore, it's a feature.

walter white GIF

MiguelItUp

I'm by no means a gigantic Wonder Woman fan, but because of Monolith and the Nemesis System, I'm definitely curious.

Jboemios

Banned
Cool. Hope it's actually true and not simply a pivot following backlash. Don't let us down.

Wonder Woman GIF
Cartoon Network Dc GIF by Warner Archive
Happy Wonder Woman GIF
I never saw that spin transformation in the cartoon. Did they ever explain how did it worked?
Also, Great to hear a comeback of the Nemesis System

Last edited:

Salz01

I really hope they don’t mess with her design too much. If she looks too much like a man, I’m out.

StueyDuck

Hate to be that person but the wording there isn't saying it isn't a live service game...

They says it's not designed as a live service game. That doesn't not explicitly mean it won't have those elements. I very much expect shadow of War Pay to win shit and all that ubisoft style fake money but for real money to buy skins and "fast forwards"

Doom85

51AZHMf8tmL.jpg

I remember reading Brian Azzarello's great run on Wonder Woman. Hopefully the game doesn't turn out to be some feminist bullshit.

I read some of that. It was great, but (if I’m remembering it right) I hated the retcon of turning all the Amazons (except Diana herself) from immortal beings to “they lure unsuspecting men to the island and rape them to get pregnant then kill the men” to explain how the island has only women on it for all these centuries. Made it so only Diana was a hero and all the other Amazons were basically irredeemable with that little detail added.

I read a bit of the start of the WW series when DC Rebirth began, I remember it being pretty good. Of course, the 2017 films slaps (I still haven’t bothered with the second film, I’ve heard Diana does some questionable moral choices in it that don’t fit her), and the straight-to-video 2009 animated film is also great (especially Nathan Fillion voicing Steve Trevor, he does great).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Return of the Nemesis System? OK now I'm interested.
Probably using the Lasso of Truth to subdue/control enemies.

"The lariat forces anyone it captures into submission; compelling its captives to obey the wielder of the lasso and tell the truth."

Though personally while I enjoyed the combat of Shadow of Mordor/War the Nemesis system was always trash to me. Had no interest in it. Felt like it was there to pad out the game.

Duchess

Warner Bros also confirmed that they will be selling a special edition of the game for the fuckwits on Resetera who banned any mention of Hogwarts Legacy:

"Wonder Person Who Identifies as a Woman"

Edit: it will come with a reversible cover, with the other side reading:

"Wonder Cis Woman"

Last edited:
Top Bottom