• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Abby Russel at Giantbomb's GOTY podcast...

Vbrasa

I'm not supporting or not supporting any sort of thing with this comment (I don't really know much about the podcast, cause I don't watch it), but I'm gonna blow your mind about something here. In our current era, whether or not she's playing a character or actually supports the views, whatever, but having a "Devil's Advocate" on a show for a debate churns views from multiple perspectives. It really shouldn't bother you as much as it is. Let people do what they want, as long as they aren't harming people.

If you have a debate show that is more of an echo chamber of thoughts, you're limiting your views, and by adding someone with a completely different mindset or viewpoint, you're drawing in more people to watch your show. It's called production, baybee.

It's why a lot of people stopped watching Game Grumps (not that I'm saying they're bad, I watch the odd episode every now and then) when Jon left, because Jon and Arin had differing points of view on games, where Dan didn't really play many games beyond the NES, so his views aren't really there. (Although, their views on life are very different, but that's offtopic)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I'm not supporting or not supporting any sort of thing with this comment (I don't really know much about the podcast, cause I don't watch it), but I'm gonna blow your mind about something here. In our current era, whether or not she's playing a character or actually supports the views, whatever, but having a "Devil's Advocate" on a show for a debate churns views from multiple perspectives. It really shouldn't bother you as much as it is. Let people do what they want, as long as they aren't harming people.

If you have a debate show that is more of an echo chamber of thoughts, you're limiting your views, and by adding someone with a completely different mindset or viewpoint, you're drawing in more people to watch your show. It's called production, baybee.

It's why a lot of people stopped watching Game Grumps (not that I'm saying they're bad, I watch the odd episode every now and then) when Jon left, because Jon and Arin had differing points of view on games, where Dan didn't really play many games beyond the NES, so his views aren't really there. (Although, their views on life are very different, but that's offtopic)
How is refusing to talk about the game Kingdom Come: Deliverance “drawing in more people”?

Banning discussion certainly sounds like an echo chamber to me.

Vbrasa

How is refusing to talk about the game Kingdom Come: Deliverance “drawing in more people”?

Banning discussion certainly sounds like an echo chamber to me.

I was using information from the OP, and pre-stated that I've never listened to the Podcast before. Banning discussion altogether is kind of extreme without a good enough reason.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I was using information from the OP, and pre-stated that I've never listened to the Podcast before. Banning discussion altogether is kind of extreme without a good enough reason.
There was no good reason. They stated because the game creator was a “terrible person” or some such. No examples were given. No facts were used. No attempts at explaining the situation were instigated.

In a recent podcast, Alex from Giant Bomb called for the firing of a game developer? Why? Because he is white and had the nerve to write a story which alludes to racism.

Pure and simple echo chamber. They don’t allow alternative voices or opinions period. Should be called Gestapo Bombe.

zenspider

This sounds like a miserable listen.

Even Waypoint - who genuinely does good faith 'SJW' criticism - seems to have a fun trumps all kind of mentality ...at least before the "dead-naming" debacle (The Red Strings Club review) and I tuned out.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Holy hell, there are a lot of insecure boys here.

I listened to that podcast and Russell's views. They sounded perfectly reasonable: hey, it's not great when every woman in a game is either dead or eager to be killed. She still liked the game; she didn't think it was a dealbreaker, just that it's problematic. That so many boys here interpreted that as some kind of vicious attack says more about how easily frightened they are than it does about Russell.

Besides, it's telling that they latch on to that and not her excellent advocacy for inventive games like Return of the Obra Dinn. She's a much better critic than her attackers will ever be.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I listened to that podcast and Russell's views. They sounded perfectly reasonable: hey, it's not great when every woman in a game is either dead or eager to be killed. She still liked the game; she didn't think it was a dealbreaker, just that it's problematic. That so many boys here interpreted that as some kind of vicious attack says more about how easily frightened they are than it does about Russell.

Besides, it's telling that they latch on to that and not her excellent advocacy for inventive games like Return of the Obra Dinn. She's a much better critic than her attackers will ever be.

Mike-Tyson-clapping-and-laughing.gif

SoulUnison

Banned
What do you think about this and what should they do to avoid this annoying thing?

You're sort of poisoning the well of conversation by assuming that everyone reading this topic would find that "annoying."

She sounds like she's being a bit overbearing, but there's always room for more critical analysis of the media we consume and additional perspectives only enrich the discussion. Why are you so threatened by the idea that not all media is going to be great to all people?

Some things do deserve discussion and do alienate potential audience.

If you don't like it, you don't have to watch that channel/podcast/whatever.
Not everything is for you, and not everything has to be.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

No one thought it was a viscous attack, so don't start with the strawman arguments. Also really? Petty insults by calling people you disagree with as "insecure boys"? Look in the mirror, mate.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
No one thought it was a viscous attack, so don't start with the strawman arguments. Also really? Petty insults by calling people you disagree with as "insecure boys"? Look in the mirror, mate.

Er, clearly some do -- people wouldn't start an entire thread, and pump it up to several pages within a few days, if they thought it was just a small thing.

And I'm sorry, but all the evidence screams insecurity. More than a few people here are throwing a fit, likening GB to fascists or hurling insults at Russell... and why? Because she spent a couple of minutes explaining that a game has a poor (but not dealbreaking) representation of women. If it's not actually a big issue to you, either reflect that in your writing or stay out of the thread. It's not that hard.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So you want people whose views you disagree with to leave the thread or self-censor to suit you.. not a good look.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Er, clearly some do -- people wouldn't start an entire thread, and pump it up to several pages within a few days, if they thought it was just a small thing.

And I'm sorry, but all the evidence screams insecurity. More than a few people here are throwing a fit, likening GB to fascists or hurling insults at Russell... and why? Because she spent a couple of minutes explaining that a game has a poor (but not dealbreaking) representation of women. If it's not actually a big issue to you, either reflect that in your writing or stay out of the thread. It's not that hard.

She can still be discussed for her poor attempt at speaking for all women, since she does a horrible job explaining the talking points that she just steals from Waypoint and the like. Which is usually difficult when said opinions are not genuinely of your own.

Do you want to know what a sign of insecurity is, it’s asking people to censor themselves or leave the thread. Opposing view points are scary, huh?

Last edited:
She acts and sounds like a teen child. Which she is. Her commentary on the games they play is something I could pull out of my ass as soon as I get up in the morning. Very poor hire. Ben knows games. She knows shit.

But this is all moot. Giant Bomb died with Ryan. Jeff was too grouchy and tired of games to keep it going. Dan was the last breath of Fresh air but even he's spent. Drew used to bring up interesting games to their shows (simulators) but he's gone. It seems none of them actually want to be there talking about games anymore.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I'm listening to one of their GOTY podcasts in the car today and my wife, who doesn't even know who Abby is, or really GiantBomb for that matter, pops up in the car with "What the fuck is she even talking about?" Thought that was pretty funny.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

People having a difference in opinion and criticizing someone is not the same as considering it a "viscous attack". The only person who has done so is you.

Manus

Giantbomb failed by not hiring Mary Kish from Gamespot. She would of been a much better fit. Now I think she's working for Twitch.

I rarely watch any of their new content only their old stuff.

Last edited:

O-N-E

I agree Abby is clumsy in her attempts to, in her view, enlighten Giant Bomb. She's not very subtle. Which is fine when you're good at articulating your point. Alas...
I found it hilarious though when she blocked me on twitter for pointing out politely that she was insulting one of her fans in a thread for no conceivable reason.

Although Giant Bomb has a bigger problem overall. Its content. They can still do some funny shit every once in a while, but everything is hobbled because of their policy to put out myriads of hours of content instead of some nicely edited pieces. It's a purely business standpoint without consideration for the consumer's appreciation of quality. Get as sloppy as the market will allow for. Acquire the minimum goodwill possible to keep floating.

shiftcaps

Neo Member
Game of the Year is the only time that I listen to the Giant Bomb podcast, and until this thread, I was so removed from the product that I didn't even know who Abby Russel was. Went in expecting the worst, and I've gotta say, I've got no clue where the hate is coming from. I think she's a great addition. If you actually take five minutes to listen to the God of War discussion, she's super measured. She states repeatedly that she loves the game and enjoyed the crap out of it, and when she brings up her criticisms of the game and states that people are going to bury her for the rest of her career for it, it's in a light-hearted, "I realize I'm probably being too picky" kind of way.

Society has clearly gone a little too much toward an outrage culture, but based on a six-hour sample size (but the six hours that this thread is about), I think someone is making a mountain out of a mole hole.

God forbid someone have an opinion.

I like Abby.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh shit, thanks for the warning OP

GiantBomb has been my goto threadmill podcast for years now but fuck me, I don’t need identity politics during my workouts

Like any subjective list, there is no reason for you to get upset about someone who doesn't like something because it on a different political spectrum than yours. I'm tired of rightists and leftists demonizing each other for arbitrary and pointless things, and a GOTY is an arbitrary and pointless thing.

I don't particularly like politics creeping into gaming either, whether it's the constant talk about "cucks" by edgelord players in Battlefield 1, or the complete absense of Nazi emblems within Battlefield V, as well as the multiple and obviously ridiculous demographics of soldiers in both of those games that are targeted at some sort of sales reach, but it's easy to not turn it into fake outrage, especially when you're dropping key words leaning to your political preferences, and contributing to the outright issue you're posting about in the first place.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I think you should go and read some of people's actual issues with her because it seems to of gone over your head.

Quonny

Abby is just a symptom of a larger problem. They went from a laid-back close-knit group of guys, to a bunch of moral busybodies who are afraid of walking on eggshells. When people point this out to Jeff his excuse is that "they've grown up." It's a pretentious self-righteous denial to the fact that they've lost their way. On top of this you had Ryans death, being bought out by the same corporation you were originally running away from, splitting up the offices for pointless reasons, the list goes on and on. The new hires are just the cherry on top of the turd sandwich. Patrick Klepeck was also a misguided hire, the guy never fit into that dynamic well at all and was obsessed with getting "scoops" despite the website never really having that intention. It was a personality driven website first - game reviews, game criticism, game news all second.

As for their politics, it's irrelevant. They live in one of the biggest liberal cities in America, so you can expect them to have certain views. The problem is when it becomes a focal point of their criticism and their inability to see or accept a different point of view. Ignoring games (Kingdom Come) or cancelling events to "protest Trump" is just embarrasing for video game website, but this is what they've turned into in 2018.

If anything Giant Bomb is a good example of why you should never get complacent and forget your original intentions, lest you end up like them; a shadow of your former self.
The irony here is so delicious.

dirthead

Banned
Abby is just a symptom of a larger problem. They went from a laid-back close-knit group of guys, to a bunch of moral busybodies who are afraid of walking on eggshells. When people point this out to Jeff his excuse is that "they've grown up." It's a pretentious self-righteous denial to the fact that they've lost their way. On top of this you had Ryans death, being bought out by the same corporation you were originally running away from, splitting up the offices for pointless reasons, the list goes on and on. The new hires are just the cherry on top of the turd sandwich. Patrick Klepeck was also a misguided hire, the guy never fit into that dynamic well at all and was obsessed with getting "scoops" despite the website never really having that intention. It was a personality driven website first - game reviews, game criticism, game news all second.

As for their politics, it's irrelevant. They live in one of the biggest liberal cities in America, so you can expect them to have certain views. The problem is when it becomes a focal point of their criticism and their inability to see or accept a different point of view. Ignoring games (Kingdom Come) or cancelling events to "protest Trump" is just embarrasing for video game website, but this is what they've turned into in 2018.

If anything Giant Bomb is a good example of why you should never get complacent and forget your original intentions, lest you end up like them; a shadow of your former self.

I guess I just disagree with you in that you seem to think they ever had any integrity or strong philosophical stances to begin with. Gerstmann's always struck me as a clueless schlub who fell ass backwards into a way to make money for doing nothing. It's kind of hard to "fall" when you were never anything to begin with.

It kind of blows me away when people say things like they're "personality driven." What personalities? The ones I've seen (I haven't even seen anything with the girl that people are talking about in this thread) range from boring to offensive asshole. I haven't seen a single demonstration of charm, charisma, talent, or any novel insight. I guess I'm just an alien because I don't get it at all.

dirthead

Banned
You have to remember a lot has changed since they began. Not sure when you decided to look at them, but the glory days were on GameSpot before Jeff was fired. I can't really explain it, but they had a good sense of community and half the content wasn't even the games - it was their goofy shenanigans and commentary. Giant Bomb seemed to initially get this, but these days they don't even offer that. They are all jaded now and offer nothing apart from their misguided politics.

Maybe that's what it is. Whenever someone's linked a video it's always been a bunch of jaded dudes watching a game with dead eyes while someone plays it badly.

Kadayi

Banned

Personally, I'm not a fan of the thread title and have requested a change because it seems somewhat off to put the blame for GB going down the rails on her alone (they've been on the outs for a while). However, I largely quit giving GB my regular attention when they opted not to cover KCD over reasons that have more to do with the fragile ego nature of the US gaming journo scene versus anything to do with the actual nature of the game itself. Albeit it isn't a perfect title and wasn't at launch, it does so many interesting things as a game, that the notion that you're going to eschew wholesale from discussing it because seemingly US game Journos can't mentally comprehend just how radically different life was in medieval times and how little movement there was between peoples for the most part, is pure facepalm.

WaterAstro

I don't know the person as I don't engage, in any way, with Giant Bomb, since they are already that bad, in my mind, without Abby.

I will say that there has to be a level of objectiveness that must be maintained in journalism. Even Easy Allies isn't a journalist group anymore (like they were as GT), but they maintain a levelheadedness with their reviews. Even when Huber loves Battlefield V, he doesn't give it the perfect score. All of their criticisms are well explained, as it is with a lot of other youtubers. It's funny that youtubers are now more objective than journalist sites.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't know the person as I don't engage, in any way, with Giant Bomb, since they are already that bad, in my mind, without Abby.

I will say that there has to be a level of objectiveness that must be maintained in journalism. Even Easy Allies isn't a journalist group anymore (like they were as GT), but they maintain a levelheadedness with their reviews. Even when Huber loves Battlefield V, he doesn't give it the perfect score. All of their criticisms are well explained, as it is with a lot of other youtubers. It's funny that youtubers are now more objective than journalist sites.

Agreed with Easy Allies. I do like how they try to keep things apolitical for the most part (even if a couple of their members tend to bring it up from time to time, namely Damiani and Ian). Even then, it is few and far between. They also don't seem to ignore games because of "drama" from a handful of REEEEing children.

Wish GB would do the same.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Typical disingenuous tactics - bold a tiny section of my point and ignore the greater context.

My argument was that it became a focal part of their show to the point they've become insufferable. It goes against what the website was started for.
I think the real irony is you accusing me of not accepting of their views when I've listened to thousands of hours of their content.

That post was ironic. It's sad that some people don't want others to grow up and see the world differently than they did before. Being an asshole for asshole sake isn't a good look when you are 40 years old. It gets old and stale.

Absolutely false! The bolded is so wrong it's laughable. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely false! The bolded is so wrong it's laughable. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Then you clearly haven't been watching the right youtubers. SidAlpha, Easy Allies, Clemps, Game Dave, Laymen Gaming, My Life in Gaming, ACG - all are absolutely more objective than what you would find on sites like Kotaku, Polygon, Waypoint, RockPaperShotgun, and more.

However it ultimately doesn't matter as even 4 year olds are more objective than the likes of those "journalists".

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Then you clearly haven't been watching the right youtubers. SidAlpha, Easy Allies, Clemps, Game Dave, Laymen Gaming, My Life in Gaming, ACG - all are absolutely more objective than what you would find on sites like Kotaku, Polygon, Waypoint, RockPaperShotgun, and more.

However it ultimately doesn't matter as even 4 year olds are more objective than the likes of those "journalists".

That's my number one point. People can't say "YouTubers" are more objective and then request that everyone watch the "right ones". You have to include ALL Youtubers, the same way people are including all Pubs websites. There are good and bad on both sides. Neither is better than the other.

mckmas8808

It doesn't make you an asshole just because you don't conform to the uptight puritan police.

And it's not like Giant Bomb was some super edgy comedy show who are now repenting for their past sins, that's revisionist history. They were a bunch of down to earth dudes who shot the shit, I think anyone could understand the appeal of that. They went from reviewing cheap soft drinks and doing corny skits, to talking about cultural appropriation and feminist representation in video games. What a complete buzz kill and 180 from their initial creation. Their "grown up" commentary is nothing but pseudo-intellectual garbage.

What's garbage is reading people that act like talking about cultural appropriation and feminist representation in video games is a buzz kill and acting as if it's bad. They don't even talk about that stuff much. And they still do talk about the silly stuff like 80% of the time. I download their podcast every week, so I'll know. The stuff you hate is "MAYBE" 5% of what they talk about.

mckmas8808

I bet you're a hit at parties.

Dude, some people just want to chill and listen to non-serious topics (like... video games). They don't want to be lectured to or talked down to, especially when they already get enough of that on social media and in the news. Their website didn't start as a political podcast, it slowly crept up on them. They've basically done a bait-and-switch. Talking about contentious topics on your goofy video game podcast is just asking for trouble, especially when none of them are equipped to tackle issues on anything higher than a basic level.

And that's all before you get into the fact that cultural appropriation is a completely nonsense concept and not even worthy of the screen space it's written on.

Yeah we'll just agree to disagree. Cultural appropriation is a real thing, but only minorities or people that get stuff stolen from them, only for it to be "re-purposed" by some high dollar Corporation as some new creation that they came up with would say it's a nonsense concept.

Only people that don't like the individuals that actually do the creating would say cultural appropriation isn't a thing. And it's exactly why podcast like Giant Bomb should be talking about it. Because a lot of dudebros that play video games don't have friends that can explain these things to them. They don't even know, what they don't know. They think "The Swipe" dance was created by the creators of FortNite. They have no idea where that dance even came from. And in some cases, some of these people do know where the dance and other entertaining slang came from, yet they don't want "those people" to profit.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah we'll just agree to disagree. Cultural appropriation is a real thing, but only minorities or people that get stuff stolen from them, only for it to be "re-purposed" by some high dollar Corporation as some new creation that they came up with would say it's a nonsense concept.

Only people that don't like the individuals that actually do the creating would say cultural appropriation isn't a thing. And it's exactly why podcast like Giant Bomb should be talking about it. Because a lot of dudebros that play video games don't have friends that can explain these things to them. They don't even know, what they don't know. They think "The Swipe" dance was created by the creators of FortNite. They have no idea where that dance even came from. And in some cases, some of these people do know where the dance and other entertaining slang came from, yet they don't want "those people" to profit.
giphy.gif

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Wait...people are throwing around the racism dart because Fortnite mimicked some dances?

Is this a thing now?

What's garbage is reading people that act like talking about cultural appropriation and feminist representation in video games is a buzz kill and acting as if it's bad. They don't even talk about that stuff much. And they still do talk about the silly stuff like 80% of the time. I download their podcast every week, so I'll know. The stuff you hate is "MAYBE" 5% of what they talk about.

I think the issue isn't that they talk about this sort of thing, but they do so in a group that consists of only one general viewpoint, while being dismissive of and often misrepresenting other opinions, if not outright mocking and insulting those who disagree. And at that point, it doesn't matter if it's maybe 1%, because it's still too much.

I don't think they'd use those dances in the first place, if they weren't already known by people. But just as you can find people who've never seen The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, you can also find people who've never seen Fortnite. So yeah, some people are going to think certain dances might just be original additions to the game, but others will know better. And that's just the way dance works. Michael Jackson "stole" most of his famous moves. He just put them together in a new way, the same way Alfonso Ribeiro did for 'the Carlton.'

While I do think it's fair to find it a little ridiculous that a massive company like Epic can just take other people's work and throw it in their game, doing something about that means figuring out who is responsible for originating a dance, and that isn't a very easy task. This was a pretty good video on the subject:

Shai-Tan

Banned

Obviously there are cases where there is a lack of respect (search the headline in Google news to jump the paywall)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cultural-borrowing-is-great-the-problem-is-disrespect-1535639194

(His book Cosmopolitanism and The Lies that Bind are also good on this topic)

But a lot of the cases in media are weird ahistorical stay-in-your-lane sovereign multiculturalism

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/05/cultural-appropriation/559802/

As Appiah says cosmopolitanism relies on not everyone being a cosmopolitan but that isn't a license for an unthoughtful exclusionary attitude towards cultural exchange

Edit: non paywall https://www.sikhphilosophy.net/threads/cultural-borrowing-is-great-the-problem-is-disrespect.50961/

Last edited:
Top Bottom