• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about fonts

Fonts are great. I love when a video or some article has a cool font.
Here are some of my favourite fonts. I use them in my videos on yt.
For official documents at work, I use either comic sans, dosis or arial.
So here's a picture of my fav fonts. The words are the name of the font.

UJG0KaK.png

What are your favourite fonts?

Nymphae

Banned
My favourites are blackletter fonts, I bought this book a few years ago:

b91800856b6f5155974413d24e8c3792.jpg

fraktur_mon_amour_09.jpg

frakt_06.JPG.jpg

Other than those, I am particularly fond of Futura for sans serif:

Futura-font-1024x918.jpg

This is a great website taking a look at the use of fonts in popular science fiction, this guy gets deep as fuck. Check out his Blade Runner analysis, the guy was able to identify the Letraset sheet the production used for the codes that appear on a photograph in the movie:

vtt2ewq.png

Cuh-razy.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Sans serif on the computer ftw. Reading articles on ft.com is much more enjoyable than say wsj.com. I don't like too much contrast in colors either so ft.coms color scheme is beast. Straight black on white is 2 much contrast.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
The unknown yet greatest villain in human history is Vincent Connare, creator of Comic Sans. The visual plague he unleashed upon the world infects middle aged women's work email and bulletin boards worldwide. The retched kerning of Comic Sans makes reading torture. He needs to be brought to justice for his crimes against humanity.

The unknown yet greatest villain in human history is Vincent Connare, creator of Comic Sans. The visual plague he unleashed upon the world infects middle aged women's work email and bulletin boards worldwide. The retched kerning of Comic Sans makes reading torture. He needs to be brought to justice for his crimes against humanity.
VConnare_2015_square-415.jpg

He looks like satan.

Nymphae

Banned
3 posts before the obligatory Comic Sans sucks right guys?

I've always thought it achieved it's design goals exceptionally well, and was simply a victim of being overused (makes you wonder why such a universally despised typeface would be selected so often...)

I remember when I discovered fonts. It was back in the year of our lord, 1995 I believe.

Doing school reports, and realized I could download and print out all these reports using crazy fonts. I think my teachers hated me, but it was such a new time with everyone getting PCs that they just went along with it.

Now? I just want it small and readable.

3 posts before the obligatory Comic Sans sucks right guys?

I've always thought it achieved it's design goals exceptionally well, and was simply a victim of being overused (makes you wonder why such a universally despised typeface would be selected so often...)
I never quite understood why the hate for comic sans.
It's a solid font that does it's job in a professional environment.

Nymphae

Banned
I never quite understood why the hate for comic sans.
It's a solid font that does it's job in a professional environment.

Totally agree, I literally think it's just a matter of overuse, people would misuse it frequently (they would select it because contrary to popular opinion, it is a good looking font - people wanted to be more casual than Times New Roman, but more vibrant than Arial.)

Last edited:

Thabass

Totally agree, I literally think it's just a matter of overuse, people would misuse it frequently (they would select it because contrary to popular opinion, it is a good looking font - people wanted to be more casual than Times New Roman, but more vibrant than Arial.)

This and the fact it was used...unironically wrong in some instances. If something is a more serious tone and you see comic-sans as the font, you tend to not treat the message seriously.

It still shouldn't be used in those situations, but it's not a bad font when used correctly.

DS_Joost

You guys praising (even saying it looks good like wtf?) Comic Sans have lost some screws in the head haven't you?

The fuck is wrong with you people?

Nymphae

Banned
It still shouldn't be used in those situations, but it's not a bad font when used correctly.

For sure, I would go as far as to say it's an excellent font for it's purposes. Something like this:

065.jpg

But remember people, letter spacing is very important.

Nymphae

Banned
You guys praising (even saying it looks good like wtf?) Comic Sans have lost some screws in the head haven't you?

We're not bandwagoners and can see a good design for what it is despite amateur graphic designers giving it a bad name.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Comic Sans has its applications. Designers hate it because it's often used in the wrong context.

I don't know what you mean to use it in a professional environment, though, unless that environment deals with nurturing it would seem out of place for any serious business message.

Nymphae

Banned
Comic Sans has its applications. Designers hate it because it's often used in the wrong context.

I'm a designer and I like it, it's just fashionable to hate it, I've heard more people who know nothing about graphic design express hatred for it than people who know a thing or two about typography, it's weird.

Nymphae

Banned
And what if I genuinely despise it?

You are free to not like something of course, but maybe don't walk in here swinging dick asking what's wrong with us for liking it. It achieves it's design goals and is/was a highly popular font not because it looks like shit, but precisely because it does it's job well and fit the more casual vibe people wanted for their specific goals. It's a casual handwriting font that is meant to look distinct from typical serif and sans serif fonts available at the time.

What is there to not like about it specifically besides overuse? It's like saying you hate the Toys R Us font because it's childish or something, like, ok? From a design standpoint, Toys R Us and Comic Sans are well designed and have specific applications which they excell at. Saying you hate them says more about you than the font itself I think lol.

Last edited:

8ipAD75.png

I don't see nothing wrong with it. It's not the best font I've ever seen but I have seen some internal company documents with this font.
Honestly, I don't get why there's so much hate for it.

Top Bottom