• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth Had Highest Physical Pre-Orders in Franchise History

GmMDZDd.jpeg

The Japanese outlet 4Gamer recently interviewed Masayoshi Yokoyama, Hiroyuki Sakamoto, and Ryōsuke Horii from RGG Studio about the recently released Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Several facets are discussed, notably regarding the process of the game’s development being interfered with by the pandemic and how the physical pre-orders for Infinite Wealth were the highest in the series.

You can view a translation of some sections of this interview below:

4Gamer: […] I have heard that pre-orders for the physical copy of Infinite Wealth have been very strong. We will have to wait and see what the users think, but first of all, we’ve reached out to retailers, and they think the game will be a hit

Yokoyama: Especially in Japan, we are doing well. Nowadays, there are both physical and digital versions, so it is difficult to compare the numbers with past titles, but in terms of the number of pre-orders for the physical copy, it is the highest in the series’ history. I can say this now: at the time of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, the number of pre-orders for the physical version was incredibly small.
4Gamer: You said that the percentage of digital versions* was the highest ever once before, right?

Yokoyama: Yes. The main character [no longer being Kiryu] and the change in the system to an RPG had a big impact on us. I still feel anxious about the time from 2019 to the beginning of 2020. But when we opened the door, we found that the market stock had dwindled to almost zero by the morning of the release date, and our salespeople who had received additional orders were fighting over the stock. For our part, we were like, “You’re seeing that, right? (laugh)”
Sakamoto: About one-third of the production period was when COVID-19 had a significant impact on game development, so there was a period of unease about what pace we should take to make the game and whether we would be able to make it properly. For example, we had to continue production while remotely conducting site interviews in Hawaii.

Yokoyama: But once the world returned to normal to a certain extent, the team was able to work at its full potential. The result was not only the enrichment of the main story but also the large volume of content, such as Dondoko Island…
Sakamoto: If I recall, the game got a boost around 2022, right?

Horii: Indeed. Being able to work together in one place lowered the hurdles for consultation, which increased the speed and quality of decisions. Whenever we had an idea, we would gather the whole team, allowing development to proceed at a pace typical of our studio.
4Gamer: Would you say managing the budget remotely was more difficult?

Yokoyama: Yes. This is just an example, but I think it takes about 1.5 times as much money as usual to work remotely. The exchange rate (Interviewer’s note: the current yen depreciation) was also a factor. Our original plan was not as clear as we had hoped for various reasons, but Sakamoto did his best to keep the budget within an acceptable range.
You can view the full 4Gamer interview for additional comments.

So strong that I didn't got mine yet.

Sad Kazuma Kiryu GIF by Xbox
I heard SEGA/RGG messed up the physical release in the West by not shipping enough copies to distributors so this doesn't surprise me, tbh... Shame, considering the demand is clearly there.

image.png

That said, I'm kinda tempted to get the physical release as well since it's €50 right now at the local shop I buy my console games from, while the digital version on PSN is €70 🙃. I did say to myself, though, that I'll wait a couple of months, since the JRPG release schedule is too hectic during this period.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I heard SEGA/RGG messed up the physical release in the West by not shipping enough copies to distributors so this doesn't surprise me, tbh... Shame, considering the demand is clearly there.

image.png

That said, I'm kinda tempted to get the physical release as well since it's €50 right now at the local shop I buy my console games from, while the digital version on PSN is €70 🙃. I did say to myself, though, that I'll wait a couple of months, since the JRPG release schedule is too hectic during this period.
Watch me starting Granblue Fantasy Relink first rather than Infinite Wealth by the looks of it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Doom85

image.png

A GameStop employee actually sold my pre-ordered copy before I got there the next day. The guy there (different from the other one) apologized and said he’d make sure to label a copy specifically for me when they get their next shipment in about a week so the other guy doesn’t mess up again.

A GameStop employee actually sold my pre-ordered copy before I got there the next day. The guy there (different from the other one) apologized and said he’d make sure to label a copy specifically for me when they get their next shipment in about a week so the other guy doesn’t mess up again.
Jeez, I'd be livid if that happened to me.

Chukhopops

image.png

They messed up so badly that different shops here were communicated different release dates. It was a pain in the ass to get a physical version on the 26th.

Minor inconvenience but great news that it’s selling so well for a « traditional » JRPG.
Great, like zero chance of them going back to beat em up style gameplay now (except for side games like gaiden). Yet another jRPG, how fucking original.
I think it depends on what happens with the Judgment actor, wasn’t there some issue with him and PC ports?

Judgment was supposed to be the ARPG series moving forward.

Roufianos

That's awesome. I feel like the popularity of these games is greatly exaggerated by core gamers, they deserve to sell millions.

xrnzaaas

I got a physical copy for less than 60€, that's a steal.

That's awesome. I feel like the popularity of these games is greatly exaggerated by core gamers, they deserve to sell millions.
One of the problems with that is probably how all the games are connected, there's a lot of catching up to do if you don't know Yakuza. With Infinite Wealth knowing (and having finished) 2 previous games is bare minimum imo.

mitch1971

Erm...isn't that what they should of done with your original preorder anyway?

StereoVsn

They messed up so badly that different shops here were communicated different release dates. It was a pain in the ass to get a physical version on the 26th.

Minor inconvenience but great news that it’s selling so well for a « traditional » JRPG.

I think it depends on what happens with the Judgment actor, wasn’t there some issue with him and PC ports?

Judgment was supposed to be the ARPG series moving forward.
I think (hope) they even if they can’t work things out with Judgment actor/manager they will just get someone else. It’s not rocket science and they have switched actors before.

StereoVsn

I got a physical copy for less than 60€, that's a steal.

One of the problems with that is probably how all the games are connected, there's a lot of catching up to do if you don't know Yakuza. With Infinite Wealth knowing (and having finished) 2 previous games is bare minimum imo.
If someone really wanted they could probably get Like a Dragon and Gaiden recap off YouTube. But both games are pretty good so worth playing.

xrnzaaas

If someone really wanted they could probably get Like a Dragon and Gaiden recap off YouTube. But both games are pretty good so worth playing.
Yes that is always a solution for a quick recap, but with so many returning characters, memories (posing as collectibles) or small references you'll still be missing out on a lot of cool stuff. Plus I imagine Kiryu's story may not feel so impactful.

StereoVsn

Yes that is always a solution for a quick recap, but with so many returning characters, memories (posing as collectibles) or small references you'll still be missing out on a lot of cool stuff. Plus I imagine Kiryu's story may not feel so impactful.
Personally I love Kiryu’s story and it’s one of my favorite series in gaming. But that’s a lot of ask from new players.

I think Yakuza 0, Yakuza 2 Kiwami, and Yakuza 6 would be great catch up to the story (YouTube recap for rest of the games), but that’s still a lot of gaming (great gaming though).

Then Like a Dragon, Gaiden with Line a Dragon 2 follow up. And Judgment and Lost Judgment can be thrown in somewhere. Oh and Ishin.

Basically a whole year dedicated to Yakuza/Like a Dragon, lol. 😅

gYRbXKv.gif

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Im starting to think they limited the physical supply in order for people to tackle digital and possibly go for high tier editions.

Because the supply worldwide for the physical edition of the game seems to have been limited.

By the looks of it I have no idea when I'll get my hands on my physical copy.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Great, like zero chance of them going back to beat em up style gameplay now (except for side games like gaiden). Yet another jRPG, how fucking original.
The LAD: Gaiden was a prequel to Infinite Wealth and just came out in November and is the old melee style. I just finished it and is great!

saintjules

Hope to play this soon. So many games I can't keep up.

BTW, I thought pre-ordering was supposedly bad (/s)? Good on RGG though!

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
There's a recent Asmongold video where he reacts to NG+ being behind a paywall, the footage of the game was so incredibly ugly that I'd honestly be embarrassed to play it. The paywall aspect is absurd too, the prices aren't reasonable in the slightest.

I've dabbled in the Yakuza games but I'm steering clear of the Like a Dragon series.

I thought pre-ordering was supposedly bad?
Preordering physical makes sense. If you are planning to buy day one, there is no harm in pre-ordering. You can refund your purchase anytime prior to opening the game, and some retailers allow refunds even after opening (Amazon, GameStop). After the refund period is over, you can sell or trade the game if you don’t enjoy it.

Preordering digital is just insanity. Your refund period is limited or non-existent. You cannot sell or trade your game, ever.

Top Bottom