• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like Nintendo, Could Sony or Microsoft survive WITHOUT Madden, FIFA, Call of Duty and GTA?

I'm pretty sure that they both could.
Fortunately, that's not something that they've had to and it's good to have a broad selection of game types on a platform so that people can pick and choose the games that they like to play.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but it's probably obvious that Sony might can survive without these games even though they bring in a very large player base
Sony would definitely be hurt by them going, as you noted a lot of people get consoles for these games, or more than console exclusive games (they may be what tip the scale for them, if they care at all).

Especially EA with their tight grip on sports franchises are unreplacable for a platform holder that wants to address the mainstream gamers.

MS would have had to quit consoles gaming during the last generation if these big third party publishers would have dropped support for Xbox, there are no other possible reasons to get these machines and it will be so until at least 2023.

Kokoloko85

Yes but if one company had one of these exclusively it would make them more popular than they are now.

But all of them have done awesome numbers without these.

Nintendo has done super well with the Switch, DS and Wii without these games being the most important on the hardware.
Sony has sold 100million+ with the PS1 without these games being the main draw

Dream-Knife

Banned
Casual gamers are the ones who play games like match 3 games, puzzle games, The Sims or Animal Crossing and similar family friendly slow paced games with very simple and intuitive controls, and a good portion of them are relatively new to videogames and only play these kind of games. They have absolutely nothing to do with Call of Duty, GTA or FIFA.

And they aren't a niche, they are some of the best selling mainstream games: the GTA/CoD/FIFA players on average play a lot (more than the average player), spend a lot of money on these and other games (more then the average player) and have been playing videogames during many years, many of them for decades.

These is what the factual data from their publishers and all the main market analysis data says. I am right because I have been working for more than a decade with this in related top companies and know the related market research.
Anecdotal evidence, but all the casual gamers I know all play COD.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Have you seen the 3rd party sales splits between Sony and MS lately?

Pretty sure both could survive, and like MS did....Sony would just have to adapt.

Last edited:
They would do just fine without every game listed. Something else would just become the new most popular thing and we’d move on with our lives.

This.

Devs and publishers will take advantage of that opportunity to introduce something similar. Less competition for them.

Concern

Of course. Another game will just take their place.

Depending on the hand played by ms/sony. Halo would be the big mp fps and kz its counter part on the other.

Corgi1985

Banned
Nintendo fans would buy literal shit if it had a nintendo logo on it. And they did with pokemon sword. Nintendo exclusives have been awful since 2017.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
MS and Sony sell a tiny fraction of the First Party games Nintendo does.

That should help clarify things.
Microsoft-Minecraft.jpg

Maybe not that tiny...
And the next Elder Scroll will not be ridiculous either.

But yeah, Nintendo is still the number one seller.

Just don't underestimate the two other's properties.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
They would do just fine imo,

There must be other people like me who don't care about fifa madden cod and gta

Also dont care about Ubisoft, EA, and bethesda (aside for tangogameworks)

Slikk360

Would be fine with me because I don't buy or play any of those third-party titles so I'm not missing out on anything.

Barakov

Gold Member
They would absolutely be fine. Playstation and Xbox are mainstream consoles. If EA/Activision/2k made the derpy-brain decision to make their own console or make their games completely exclusive to origin/battle.net/rockstar launcher there would be companies and games that would come in to fill the gap. For the respective 3rd parties it would be short-term gains but would end up being a long-term disaster. There's no reason to rock the boat in such a way.

This has kinda already been proven by EA putting their games back on Steam.

Yeap. No issues at all. With no GTA pretty sure will be something like Gang Thief Auto or Call of Honor. So the question would be; no fIrst person or open world games ?

Kagey K

Banned
Didn’t OG Xbox literally survive without those games?

They had the XNA versions of their sports games so EA didn’t play nice to them, and Sony moneyhatted away GTA forever (or what felt like it.) They went almost a generation with none of the fore mentioned and survived just fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom