• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games shipping 3DO games on CD-R (rather than pressed disc)

cd-r

H7q86t.gif

VGEsoterica

I didnt see an existing topic but if there is one I was typing fast

Ive never seen such a blatant cash grab bait and switch in years. Absolutely pathetic and Limited Run Games needs to answer to this with refunds or replacement pressed discs. And this is coming from someone with a background in disc replication and glass masters

Its NOT even a high quality blank lol

Mobilemofo

3do was super 1337 when it launched though. it was like neo geo level, 700+ dollars and the games looked amazing compared to the other consoles at the time
I remember nobody gave a fuck about it. Mostly fmv styles games, peppered with periodic actual games on the worlds shitest controller. Massively overpriced, and hyped, thanks to rent a gob trip Hawkins. 😅

AmuroChan

No excuse whatsoever. The only thing they are sorry for is getting caught with their pants down.

Screenshot_20240502-1557532.png

Yep, and also somehow pretending that they weren't aware this happened. I hope whoever their "disc replication partners" are come out and release a statement that they did exactly what LRG asked them to do.

Kadve

Yep, and also somehow pretending that they weren't aware this happened. I hope whoever their "disc replication partners" are come out and release a statement that they did exactly what LRG asked them to do.
Should be easy to check. Disc itself should contain info on who made it. Just need a scan of the data side and the codes there.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
No excuse whatsoever. The only thing they are sorry for is getting caught with their pants down.

Screenshot_20240502-1557532.png
I checked to see if this was posted on their Twitter page and it's nowhere to be found. It's only on their website.

It's like they're trying to cover this up. What a bunch of fucking scumbags.

Lunarorbit

Very shady. After they bounced Kara Lynn I just wrote this company off. The last year or so their rep has gone way done. I don't know if they are just understaffed but the delays can be years long.

People comment that they get a random package in the mail from limited run and then realize it was something they ordered so long ago they forgot about it

Ulysses 31

People comment that they get a random package in the mail from limited run and then realize it was something they ordered so long ago they forgot about it
Unless all those people also changed e-mail, that's a bit hard to believe since LRG does notify of shipments with tracking numbers.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Damn, this is getting even more scammy. And by disk replication company they meant Bob sitting in the basement with 5 X 20 slot CD-R setup. They didn’t even have fucking labels on the disks.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
3DOs play CD-R media absolutely fine and always have, so that part of the story seems a bit overblown. But you would expect a pressed disc with proper disc art if you payed for something.

StevieWhite

3DOs play CD-R media absolutely fine and always have, so that part of the story seems a bit overblown. But you would expect a pressed disc with proper disc art if you payed for something.
That's been my experience as well... but to be fair, there's quite a few 3DO models out there. I have no idea what anybody experiences outside of an FZ10.

Naked Lunch

Limited Run is a shit company.
Sure. No argument there.
This is a shit practice - yes.

But I still have CD-R Dreamcast games I burned in 1999 that still work with no problems whatsoever.
The whole CDR limited lifespan thing might be incorrect.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Some compatibility issues across different CD-R brands can occur, and I believe the speed of which the disc was burnt at can also cause problems. Usually it's best to burn data CD's at lower speeds, preferably matching the speed of which the target drive is capable of (3DO being 2x speed)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
lol@ wasting a pressed disc on a 3D0 game (but they should be transparent about it so people know what they are getting)

My Taiyo yuden disc rips from almost 15 years ago still work fine and if people had any clue how shit 3D0 lasers are this would be a nothing burger

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The 3DO had some decent games. I liked Shockwave and Shockwave 2 especially.

Star Control 2 on the 3DO was the best version in my opinion. They had voice acting and the music was improved and it was so much fun.

Last edited:
Sure. No argument there.

But I still have CD-R Dreamcast games I burned in 1999 that still work with no problems whatsoever.
Playing burnt CD-R's are a sure-fire way to knacker the console's laser. It's a total scum and shill practice by LRG.

I wonder if 'Always Physical' John at DF will call his mates and crooked company out for it?

This is hilarious. However, lets me honest. Who the fuck wants to buy a repro in 2024? Shantae for the GBA? Plumbers don't wear Ties for 3DO?

SF Kosmo

Some compatibility issues across different CD-R brands can occur, and I believe the speed of which the disc was burnt at can also cause problems. Usually it's best to burn data CD's at lower speeds, preferably matching the speed of which the target drive is capable of (3DO being 2x speed)
I mean yeah a shit burn on cheap media might have issues but I still think the people claiming that this is the case based on no particular anecdotes are reaching, at least on that one point.

cireza

Sure. No argument there.

You are killing your lens here. Especially with isos created so far back, which did not have a proper organization of their files on them. Any game that streams a lot (Crazy Taxi, MotW, Last Blade etc...) will kill your lens. Avoid at all cost.

Last edited:

baphomet

I mean yeah a shit burn on cheap media might have issues but I still think the people claiming that this is the case based on no particular anecdotes are reaching, at least on that one point.

What are you talking about? The 3do is extremely picky with reading rewritable discs. There's tons of different types of drives in them.

Naked Lunch

You are killing your lens here. Especially with isos created so far back, which did not have a proper organization of their files on them. Any game that streams a lot (Crazy Taxi, MotW, Last Blade etc...) will kill your lens. Avoid at all cost.
Im just saying - I keep hearing this:
Science would say the CDRs wont last.
CDRs will kill your laser.

But its been 25 years now. And those 1999 CDRs and my Dreamcast still work fine.
Think about it.
My setup is 25 year old scientific proof in itself.

Im about to get an ODE for my old Dreamcast and remove the laser anyways.

Last edited:

cireza

Im just saying - I keep hearing this:
Science would say the CDRs wont last.
CDRs will kill your laser.

But its been 25 years now. And those 1999 CDRs and my Dreamcast still work fine.
Think about it.
My setup is 25 year old scientific proof in itself.

Im about to get an ODE for my old Dreamcast and remove the laser anyways.
My Dreamcast is as old as yours and it didn't even take CDs to kill my lens. Official GDroms did it well enough. I play a lot of Crazy Taxi. Streaming from a disc never was a good idea anyway.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

My Dreamcast is as old as yours and it didn't even take CDs to kill my lens. Official GDroms did it well enough. I play a lot of Crazy Taxi. Streaming from a disc never was a good idea anyway.
Interesting.
My Gamecube's laser died just a few years back - using official game discs the entirety of its lifespan.

I think the point is - from my experience - cartridge based consoles will keep kicking (pretty much - maybe a capacitor replacement here and there).
But cd cased consoles - with lasers and all the moving parts - will eventually fail.

cireza

But cd cased consoles - with lasers and all the moving parts - will eventually fail.
For sure. I really like CD based consoles, and I think we got it right from the get go on 8 and 16 bits consoles. It never was about streaming constantly unpredictable data, this is the worst thing possible. Back then, it was a means to replace expensive ROMs, and consoles had quite a bit of RAM. You loaded everything in RAM and worked with it : no streaming. There were a few exceptions of ports or games loading a bit too often to my taste, but there were absolutely brilliant games such as Shining Force CD, which makes a super smart use of the RAM and never loads inside a complete battle.

The CD was then available for reading content, for example music or videos. No seeking, simply reading what's coming. This was, by far, the best way to use this medium as it does not stress the optical drive.

But then 32 bits consoles happened, open-worlds, bad ideas (like streaming from two different places of a disc constantly) and all this shit. And this is precisely why today, my Saturn has an ODE, my Dreamcast has an ODE, and my SEGA-CD still plays original games as if it was the first day.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The real Phantasy Star Online disk killed my first Dreamcast. Playing CDRs hasn't killed the second yet.

SF Kosmo

What are you talking about? The 3do is extremely picky with reading rewritable discs. There's tons of different types of drives in them.
I have a 3DO and that was never my experience, but I guess there are different models, and any 30 year old hardware is probably a bit fussy at this point.

Top Bottom