• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lin-Manuel Miranda to produce film & TV series of Kingkiller Chronicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thewrap.com/lin-manuel-m...m-tv-series-adaptation-kingkiller-chronicles/

“Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda will be the creative producer behind an ambitious feature film and TV series adaptation of Patrick Rothfuss’ book trilogy “The Kingkiller Chronicles,” Lionsgate announced Tuesday.

“The best way to service Pat Rothfuss’ unique and ambitious view was to invent a new way of adapting it with Lionsgate’s film and television teams working side-by-side, which meant that only a multi-hyphenate talent like Lin-Manuel Miranda could do the job,” said Erik Feig, Co-President, Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, in a statement. “Lin is an incomparable talent and a huge fan of the trilogy and, working closely with Pat, his creative oversight of the franchise will bring an incredible level of detail and continuity to all of the projects.”

More to come…

Now he has to finish the third book.

Hah! I joked to my fiancé recently that after Lin wins an Oscar for his Moana songs, he'll need to start getting involved in TV so he can go for that EGOPT. Lo and behold.

Love this dude.

Sean C

Hah! I joked to my fiancé recently that after Lin wins an Oscar for his Moana songs, he'll need to start getting involved in TV so he can go for that EGOPT. Lo and behold.
He already has an Emmy, actually (Original Music and Lyrics, for his work with the Tony Awards).

Great news, this'll surely motivate Rothfuss to finish the third book, just like GRRM was motivated to finish ASOIAF before GOT spoiled everything.

The episode around the Felurian will surely be involving TV.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This has the chance of turning out much better than the source material.

Skilletor

This explains how much they've been hanging out with one another on twitter.

Or they're just good friends. Or both.

Good stuff. I want all the success in the world for Miranda. Amazing dude.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Oh god.

If I have to deal with Kvothe tap-dancing in the rain about his bar I'm gonna be very sad.

Props to Miranda though for cashing in on his celebrity.

Veelk

Banned
These two all but have a love affair on twitter, so this is no surprise.

Since the book series is so music centered, it's also good they have someone who really knows their stuff working to bring it to life.

Barzul

This series got really weird for me in the 2nd one. Like some kind of weird fantasy/wish fulfillment. Those who've read it will know the chapters I'm referencing. I think some like Manuel though will be a good pick for adapting it. He's very thorough with the way he crafts his work.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Personally I would have much rathered Lin-Manuel to have done an adaptation of something from Warhammer 40K. I think he would have really done some great musical numbers about Khorne.

More Bloooooood for the Blood God!

The rock opera section with the Noise Marines would be incredible! and deafening!

Blatz

This is cool and all. But I'm still kind of shocked this is getting made before Abercrombie's First Law ( and spin offs)

studyguy

That's gonna be a lot of awkward sex scenes.
Hyped but gonna be something.

This is cool and all. But I'm still kind of shocked this is getting made before Abercrombie's First Law ( and spin offs)

Fully expect something like First Law post HBO's conclusion to Game of Thrones. It'd fit pretty easily for a miniseries.

Struct09

Can't say I expected this pairing but I'm cool with it. I've only read the first book so far, need to get on that second one.

Both Miranda and Rothfuss are McElroy-affiliates, no? They've both been guests on MBMBaM at least, lets hope for some cameos.

I didn't know Lin was on MBMBaM, which episode?

Curious to see what comes of this, I sort of liked the first book but the second went way too far into wish fulfillment territory. I'm not interested in reading the third book if it ever gets published. But there is some interesting material there. The idea of a braggart former legend telling the story of how he became famous is a great premise. If Lin takes some liberties with the plot this could be pretty cool.

I'm in for the first few episodes at least.

Please skip the overindulgent sex goddess fanfic. That shit almost turned me off of the whole series.

Hopefully he's smart enough to avoid this, it'll be an easy way to come across as a cheap Game of Thrones knock-off.

Blatz

Hyped but gonna be something.

Fully expect something like First Law post HBO's conclusion to Game of Thrones. It'd fit pretty easily for a miniseries.

As long as they include Red Country I'm happy. Have you actually heard rumblings about this or is it speculation?

studyguy

As long as they include Red Country I'm happy. Have you actually heard rumblings about this or is it speculation?

Nah not HBO specifically, but I know for a fact Ambercrombie has said before he's shopped the rights out for first law as of last year according to an AMA on the fantasy subreddit. Whether anything got a hit I guess we'll see. Rothfruss and Sanderson are getting in now, only makes sense other fantasy titles get snapped up in due time.

Veelk

Banned
I'm gonna need to make a thread discussing how KKC addresses sex, because it's neither as mindlessly indulgent, nor as constant as people make it out to be, yet it takes over any possible conversation about the series. Here we have an announcement of a musical collaboration, yet the discussion inevitably turns to sex.

BTW, do you know how many actual sex scenes there are in the book? 2. Maybe 3, if you're being generous. GRRM is far more offensive with this. But more annoyingly, people merely talk about there being sex in the books, rather than how that sex is addressed and handled.

Kin5290

Good god, why?

The funny thing is that, despite Rothfuss's self insert allegedly being a great musician, none of that comes across on page. So to see an actually great songwriter have to salvage that dreck would be... interesting.

studyguy

I'm gonna need to make a thread discussing how KKC addresses sex, because it's neither as mindlessly indulgent, nor as constant as people make it out to be, yet it takes over any possible conversation about the series. Here we have an announcement of a musical collaboration, yet the discussion inevitably turns to sex.

BTW, do you know how many actual sex scenes there are in the book? 2. Maybe 3, if you're being generous. GRRM is far more offensive with this. But more annoyingly, people merely talk about there being sex in the books, rather than how that sex is addressed and handled.

It's a joke fam, I'm as excited as the next guy but lets not kid ourselves, the reason people pull the sex scene bits out over the various other memorable bits is specifically because they're so over the top to the point of naming sex moves with Felurian like Thousand Hands and Kissing of the Woman's Flower.

If they chalk those bits up to boastful jokes from an unreliable narrator like Kvothe, glossing over them in favor of focusing on bits like the weaving of his shadow cloak and the like then who cares. But come on, the sex is as over the top as the main protagonist so what do you expect.

Sulik2

Maybe new writers can turn this into a decent story. This is the most overrated fantasy series of the modern era.

193, you can listen to it here as well. There are literally MBMBaM references written into Hamilton, he's a bit of a superfan.

Wow, I didn't know that. I know he did a did the "Good Job" honk on SNL as a MBMBaM reference (though that was really subtle and the actual honking motion was never discussed on the podcast as far as I know, so calling it a reference is sort of stretch), had no idea Hamilton has references though. Is there a list somewhere, I'm really curious now.

Kin5290

Maybe new writers can turn this into a decent story. This is the most overrated fantasy series of the modern era.
This is true.

The last think you want to do is go the Game of Thrones route and take the story completely seriously.

Take notes from Galavant instead.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I can't wait for the musical bit about the sex ninjas.

Yeah that's going to be... interesting. That and

Their weird insistence that men have nothing to do with pregnancy, that dudes they bang just co-incidentally coincide with getting pregnant.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah that's going to be... interesting. That and

Their weird insistence that men have nothing to do with pregnancy, that dudes they bang just co-incidentally coincide with getting pregnant.

So its like Clan of the Cavebear

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I didn't know that. I know he did a did the "Good Job" honk on SNL as a MBMBaM reference (though that was really subtle and the actual honking motion was never discussed on the podcast as far as I know, so calling it a reference is sort of stretch), had no idea Hamilton has references though. Is there a list somewhere, I'm really curious now.

There's the group "Unless" in We Know. That one's confirmed in the Hamilton book, but there might be others.

He's also done the honk in a number of other appearances. The Tonys for sure, but also things like The Today Show.

Ivan 3414

Oh god.

If I have to deal with Kvothe tap-dancing in the rain about his bar I'm gonna be very sad.

Props to Miranda though for cashing in on his celebrity.

Sorry...what?

You think they gave Miranda license to develop an entire film and TV series for the sole reason of "Oh, this guy's famous?"

Veelk

Banned
It's a joke fam, I'm as excited as the next guy but lets not kid ourselves, the reason people pull the sex scene bits out over the various other memorable bits is specifically because they're so over the top to the point of naming sex moves with Felurian like Thousand Hands and Kissing of the Woman's Flower.

If they chalk those bits up to boastful jokes from an unreliable narrator like Kvothe, glossing over them in favor of focusing on bits like the weaving of his shadow cloak and the like then who cares. But come on, the sex is as over the top as the main protagonist so what do you expect.

But we ourselves already do name sex moves. Cowgirl, Doggy style, 69. Our names are practical because we are a practical culture. KKC's names are just more artsy, but everything is more artsy in that world, and especially so since this is an ethereal, wonderous fae creature. Every time she speaks, it's artsy. She's incapable of telling a story without it being in a rhyming meter. When you put it in context, it fits.

That's the annoying thing about all this. The sex isn't over the top. It's perfectly in place with the rest of the artsy, wonderousness of it. The wish fulfillment aspect only extents to the idea that any basic guy wants to have sex with a beautiful woman...but we also want to play music well, or do well in school, or be witty and have good friends. In any given book, it's less important what is being presented and more how it's being presented, and even if you were joking, most of the time people use the mere fact that it's a sex goddess to not examine what actually goes on in that scenes, and then use that as a basis to dismiss the entire series. I hate it when that happens. I'm not even the biggest fan of KKC, it's just the principle of the thing.

Zeeman

There's the group "Unless" in We Know. That one's confirmed in the Hamilton book, but there might be others.

He's also done the honk in a number of other appearances. The Tonys for sure, but also things like The Today Show.

Lin loves the Great Job honk, he's basically obsessed with doing it

http://somethingincrediblyright.tum...55/lin-manuel-doing-greatjob-horn-on-snl-four

http://68.media.tumblr.com/63449b802f32a389c444e70a85383c16/tumblr_o2mfe3ieJd1qku8jro2_400.gif

He also did stuff like this for a while: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mbmbam/permalink/999618053409879/

woodland

Man. Kinda pisses me off it's gonna have someone as good as him when Rothfuss acts like a prissy little kid to his fans.

Anyone here/see the page from book 3 that got leaked while he was streaming and his reaction?

Kinda glad at the same time though - in a series where music is this prominent, it needs Miranda. Just saw he responded to Rothfuss on Twitter the other day, he seems to be a fan.

Catvoca

Banned
I love KKC. I love Hamilton. I'm not sure about putting the two together though, seems like a very odd fit. Not quite sure what to think of this.

Gordito

Neo Member
Lin is an incomparable talent and a huge fan of the trilogy

It's not a trilogy yet.

Rothfuss, you don't want to be like GRRM; don't let someone else, in an entirely different medium, tell the rest of your story for you.

mjc

Cautiously optimistic, I never got around to finishing book two because it got weird. Rothfuss definitely has a 'my shit don't stink' attitude, and it's gotten worse over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom