• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionsgate Taps Gregory Widen To Script Film On First Black Samurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate has commenced Highlander creator Gregory Widen to script Black Samurai, an action drama grounded in the historical tale of Yasuke, reputed to be the first black-skinned samurai to serve a warlord in Japan. Mike De Luca and Stephen L’Heureux are producing, and the film is a co-production between Solipsist Films and De Luca Productions.

Yasuke lived in the mid-1500s, and history on his origins and exactly how he came to become a sword for a warlord named Oda Nobunaga is a bit fuzzy. Widen said what is known is that he was the only known African to reach that rank in feudal Japan, and it is a strong point of entry for a period action film that can build a compelling action narrative around history. It’s not Widen’s first hack at swordplay fare. He hatched the mythology and co-wrote the 1986 film Highlander, about the ageless immortal Scottish swordsman. That spawned a series of films, and a syndicated series. Lionsgate has for the past several years been trying to find the handle on remake of the original film but hasn’t quite cracked it…more at the link

This is something I’ve been waiting for ever since I learned about Yusuke, I think Djimon Hounsou would be perfect for the role.

*Searched but couldn't find any topics relating to this, please close if old*

kswiston

I think that Djimon Hounsou would have been great a decade ago, but the guy will be in his mid-50s by the time that this film is in production. Are there any younger actors that could take on a role like this? It would be cool if they got an actor that was either African, or had African parents.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think mahershala ali would be good. Hes got a buzz going since moonlight.

He might be a little older but i can see him suited up in armor.

Ooh, this is cool but man I didn't know that Widen still made scripts after Highlander.

Seems like he's done more work mainly on the Highlander and Hellraiser series after the initial Highlander movie..

Would be cool. Would prefer this to be a sequel (technically prequel) to Ni-Oh though. :p
It'd be nice if they went with his design from the game.

I think that Djimon Hounsou would have been great a decade ago, but the guy will be in his mid-50s by the time that this film is in production. Are there any younger actors that could take on a role like this? It would be cool if they got an actor that was either African, or had African parents.
Dude looks younger than his age, and I don't know if he has to be a young looking bloke.

I think mahershala ali would be good. Hes got a buzz going since moonlight.

He might be a little older but i can see him suited up in armor.
He'd be another good choice.

banner.jpg

Not just for Get Out. Dude killed it on Black Mirror. I imagine this character being quiet and reserved, something he does very well.

But either way, Get Out put him on the map and Hollywood is surely looking for where to place him next.

banner.jpg

Not just for Get Out. Dude killed it on Black Mirror. I imagine this character being quiet and reserved, something he does very well.

But either way, Get Out put him on the map and Hollywood is surely looking for where to place him next.

That's right, I forgot about him and the British-Nigerian dude that played Finn in Star Wars, There are a lot more younger choices than could've imagined.

My apologies, I searched " Gregory WIden" and "Black Samurai" and didn't get any topics related to this.
Please lock when you get the chance, mods.

I imagine this character being quiet and reserved, something he does very well.[/QUOTE]

While we don't really know, I seriously doubt the movie will portray him as such. That's completely unrealistic. Quiet and reserved people do not go from nothing to warlord in a culture that's relatively xenophobic.

ezekial45

Banned
Glad we're getting a remake to this classic

But really, I also think Djimon Hounsou would be perfect. The guy is built and he's of decent height too. That's important.

It seems like the best time for this movie. Films about the black experience are very important, especially now, so I think this will be really interesting movie for people. Especially those who aren't familiar with this story.

That's right, I forgot about him and the British-Nigerian dude that played Finn in Star Wars, There are a lot more younger choices than could've imagined.

My apologies, I searched " Gregory WIden" and "Black Samurai" and didn't get any topics related to this.
Please lock when you get the chance, mods.

To be fair, the article just says the guy who wrote Highlander

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
banner.jpg

He would be awesome for the role

hollomat

Banned
Odd choice for the writer. No one better than the guy who wrote backdraft and highlander? Good movies, but couldn't be more different from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom